Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat (26229 Views)

Why Most Phd Holders Are Poor Especially In Nigeria / 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA / I Didn't Go To Sch, But I Now Supervise Masters And Phd Holders - Mogul, Indimi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by ajibolag(m): 10:32pm On Nov 30, 2018
Kampack:

this argument has been overflogged even by postgraduate medical colleges and they have all bowed to the superiority of PhD over postgraduate medical fellowships. A lot of Consultants in medical specialities are now taking PhD programs.
Thank you for the enlightenment. Lobatan
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Baselm: 10:52pm On Nov 30, 2018
maybachmusic:
all these PHDs in engineering

we cant even produce car or tar common road

rubbish
They told u it is academic, is it that u don't understand what u read?
Even if u have the knowledge to produce a car and we don't produce good steels, fibre and other materials needed, would ur PhD degree fund that? and the fact u don't have the resources to produce it doesn't take away your knowledge cos u would produce it if given the right resources.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Ugosample(m): 11:04pm On Nov 30, 2018
InvertedHammer:
/
Nigerians are like ostrich.

Titlemania is at its peak.

Everyone is Honorable, Chief, High Chief, His Lordship, Dr. XYZ. It gets absurd when you hear Pharm. Kola, Architect Bello, etc. It gets worse when these titles are appendages to one person: Chief (Dr) Architect His Lordship Michael Bello Akintola. Really? Ever wonder why Nigerian lawyers still wear the seventeenth century colonial wigs?
The level of emptiness is very appalling. I said emptiness because there is no other reasonable explanation for it.

/
Low self esteem and emptiness
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by KenModi(m): 11:39pm On Nov 30, 2018
InvertedHammer:
/
Nigerians are like ostrich.

Titlemania is at its peak.

Everyone is Honorable, Chief, High Chief, His Lordship, Dr. XYZ. It gets absurd when you hear Pharm. Kola, Architect Bello, etc. It gets worse when these titles are appendages to one person: Chief (Dr) Architect His Lordship Michael Bello Akintola. Really? Ever wonder why Nigerian lawyers still wear the seventeenth century colonial wigs?
The level of emptiness is very appalling. I said emptiness because there is no other reasonable explanation for it.

/

There was once a woman who after being introduced by the mc at a ceremony refused to acknowledge it or show her presence; so there was a little commotion as she was the key speaker and people were not if she was around, since she didnt stand up or wave at to show her presence. Then someone rushed to the MC and whispered to him.

Then he announced her name again but this time adding all her titles including Senator (Dr.) and all those rubbish, then she stood up and showed her presence.

And thats just the “typical” Nigerian for you; looking for titles, accolades and unnecessary encomiums like their lives depend on it.

BTW, my brain still struggles to comprehend that 16/17th century colonial-handed gowns and wig ms Nigerian lawyers/barristers still wear in the 21st century.

Talk about a country that gained independence but still chose to be under colonial influence mentally and I wld show you Nigeria.
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by sirqeeboi(m): 1:28am On Dec 01, 2018
I have a lecturer who students still call him by is nickname given to him while in school and he said he prefer it than all these engr doc abi doc Engr
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by mailty: 2:39am On Dec 01, 2018
d33types:

Google the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) UNESCO Institute for Statistics

MBBS is equivalent and in some cases higher ranked than PhD.its not me.it is the UN

I don't get the point here. MBBS is a Bachelor's Degree (Just like any first degree you obtain from institution of higher learning). It stands for Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery. There is no way you can rank Bachelor's degree higher than Ph.D (get your fact right).
MBBS, B.Eng, B.Sc, B.A, B.Tech etc are all in the same category (no matter how rigorous, it is your choice of study). They are referred to as FIRST DEGREE. The first level of higher education you need to get you started, to put you on path of professionalism or specialization. The higher you go.....like M.Sc, M.Eng, M.A, M.Tech, or Ph.D, MD (for those in medical field), EdD (for those in education), D.D (for those study religion), ThD (for theology), the more specialized you are.

I don't get your argument when you compare MBBS with Ph.D. May be you want to compare MD with Ph.D. MD is the postgraduate professional study for those in medical field. Some countries like U.S and Philippines treat it as Professional postgraduate degree not research degree. Some other countries consider it as research degree. (The same consideration for M.Eng and M.Sc. You can do more findings on that). Ph.D is strictly research based degree and you must be original about your research. At Ph.D level, you own your research, you are at the peak of your specialization, you are an authority in your research area. YOU DON'T COMPARE THIS WITH BROAD/GENERIC STUDY YOU DO AT BACHELOR'S LEVEL.
The links below can help you:
https://medclerkships.com/difference-between-md-mbbs/
http://entrance-exam.net/comparison-of-doctors-from-mbbs-and-phd/

Please let's try to speak with facts in our discussion not with passion or sentiment. Your preference may be medical field, but no matter how big it may look, a cat � can never be a lion. No matter how many letter is in MBBS or how many years it takes to complete, based on the available facts, it can never be equivalent to Ph.D not to talk of ranking it higher than Ph.D. Those of us in academic we know better. Cheers.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by IbrahimDamola: 4:59am On Dec 01, 2018
greggng:
The only doctor I recognise is that who can treat a human being ....not the type earned by gej that cannot fix nigeria

That's because you are a medical doctor which makes biased already.
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by IbrahimDamola: 5:03am On Dec 01, 2018
d33types:

Mbbs has always been more rigorous than PhD .
Calculating the exact time spent unit by unit, mbbs is more exerting.

That's why mbbs graduates do lecture students without the requirements of masters and PhD

Abeg which proper university employs MBBS as lecturers without M.Sc and PhD? I want to know so I can prevent my relative from attending such mushroom university. Do MBBS do proper academic research like M.Sc and PhD?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by IbrahimDamola: 5:14am On Dec 01, 2018
Kampack:

I hold both and I must tell you that Mbbs is a joke compared to PhD. A PhD is an embodiment of rigorous research work which comes out with new knowledge - Novelty to the body of existing knowledge. Comparing a bachelors degree to a PhD is blasphemy!

May God bless you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by jefdr001: 6:10am On Dec 01, 2018
Kampack:

I hold both and I must tell you that Mbbs is a joke compared to PhD. A PhD is an embodiment of rigorous research work which comes out with new knowledge - Novelty to the body of existing knowledge. Comparing a bachelors degree to a PhD is blasphemy!
Sorry but you don't sound like one of us.

1 Like

Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by mrrights: 8:25am On Dec 01, 2018
tongue
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by d33types: 8:27am On Dec 01, 2018
mailty:

I don't get the point here. MBBS is a Bachelor's Degree (Just like any first degree you obtain from institution of higher learning). It stands for Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery. There is no way you can rank Bachelor's degree higher than Ph.D (get your fact right).
MBBS, B.Eng, B.Sc, B.A, B.Tech etc are all in the same category (no matter how rigorous, it is your choice of study). They are referred to as FIRST DEGREE. The first level of higher education you need to get you started, to put you on path of professionalism or specialization. The higher you go.....like M.Sc, M.Eng, M.A, M.Tech, or Ph.D, MD (for those in medical field), EdD (for those in education), D.D (for those study religion), ThD (for theology), the more specialized you are.

I don't get your argument when you compare MBBS with Ph.D. May be you want to compare MD with Ph.D. MD is the postgraduate professional study for those in medical field. Some countries like U.S and Philippines treat it as Professional postgraduate degree not research degree. Some other countries consider it as research degree. (The same consideration for M.Eng and M.Sc. You can do more findings on that). Ph.D is strictly research based degree and you must be original about your research. At Ph.D level, you own your research, you are at the peak of your specialization, you are an authority in your research area. YOU DON'T COMPARE THIS WITH BROAD/GENERIC STUDY YOU DO AT BACHELOR'S LEVEL.

Please let's try to speak with facts in our discussion not with passion or sentiment. Your preference may be medical field, but no matter how big it may look, a cat � can never be a lion. No matter how many letter is in MBBS or how many years it takes to complete, based on the available facts, it can never be equivalent to Ph.D not to talk of ranking it higher than Ph.D. Those of us in academic we know better. Cheers.

I'm not denigrating the PhD, but only informing you guys of unpopular opinion.

M.D. and MBBS are roughly same degrees in different countries. That's you can work in the US with your MBBS provided you pass your usmle exams which even the MD graduates sit for, as well.

In the US and other sane countries, the MBBS and MD are the only requirements for lecturing.
Even the JD, which is a first degree in law is the single requirement and is the major singular degree owned by lecturers in law schools in US.
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Kampack: 8:42am On Dec 01, 2018
jefdr001:

Sorry but you don't sound like one of us.

sorry, I dont mean to be rude or proud, but to be honest, I am not in your class or category. I am far beyond your class. If you must know, I did not even train in Nigeria for all my postgrads (MPH, MRSPH, PhD -all on scholarships). I trainned in the UK - an egalitarian society where even Medical Consultants (those at the apex of the profession you are here fighting over their title) are professionally and officially addressed as "Mr." kinni big deal?

2 Likes

Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Kingjames(m): 3:09pm On Dec 01, 2018
one pastor in my street that worship with his member under canopy is also pst. Doctor
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by mrrights: 6:35pm On Dec 01, 2018
Hum
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Afrocentric: 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2018
sykeng:

you want to start what you can't finish, academic doctor cant match professional doctor? continue,
PhD and MBBS which is more rigorous? don't be dumb abeg
Don't mind the Idio.t, even msc is more tedious than MBBS
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Afrocentric: 9:41pm On Dec 01, 2018
greggng:
The only doctor I recognise is that who can treat a human being ....not the type earned by gej that cannot fix nigeria
I'm sure your whole family has never produced a PHD before
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by worlexy(m): 6:25am On Dec 02, 2018
Afrocentric:
You are so foolish. It's people like you that are causing confusion in Nigeria. The doc tittle shouldn't be for medical practitioners alone. It should be for all. It's doctor like you that are quack
Another frustrated soul sighted, please carry your frustration off my mention, half baked, lazy youth graduate.
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by jefdr001: 9:14pm On Dec 02, 2018
Kampack:

sorry, I dont mean to be rude or proud, but to be honest, I am not in your class or category. I am far beyond your class. If you must know, I did not even train in Nigeria for all my postgrads (MPH, MRSPH, PhD -all on scholarships). I trainned in the UK - an egalitarian society where even Medical Consultants (those at the apex of the profession you are here fighting over their title) are professionally and officially addressed as "Mr." kinni big deal?

Apparently you are not in my class/ category. You sound frustrated. Was it that you couldn't pass primaries or you passed and couldn't get placement?. What of foreign licensing exams? How many did you pass? Oh I get anyone can do mph bla bla bla. And what's the big deal about scholarships? You don't strike me like someone who is exposed at all.
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Kampack: 11:21am On Dec 03, 2018
jefdr001:

Apparently you are not in my class/ category. You sound frustrated. Was it that you couldn't pass primaries or you passed and couldn't get placement?. What of foreign licensing exams? How many did you pass? Oh I get anyone can do mph bla bla bla. And what's the big deal about scholarships? You don't strike me like someone who is exposed at all.

go get one first! I doubt if you have written your mbbs finals. You lack maturity. If the way you address issues is the same manner of approach you employ to treat patients, then I'm now fully convinced that Nigerians are really in SHITHOLE!

You are here harping about Mbbs being ultimate achievement in life. Guy, wake up. We are in the 21st century and Smart men DON'T think that way. angry angry Saying Mbbs weighs more than a PhD simply shows how much of a slow poke you are! Did you read your medical texts at all or you just cram to get a pass. Many medical texts were written by authors with MD, PhD degrees. Today's world revolves around innovation and there is no novel innovation without cutting-edge RESEARCH! Enough said. I still repeat it that you don't belong to my class and you'll NEVER!

I hate dimwits who come online to publicize their mediocrity. angry
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Kampack: 12:10pm On Dec 03, 2018
mailty:

I agree with you absolutely. it seems only those of us in academics understand this fact. Let's forget the butterflies that calls themselves birds. grin
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by majorgr: 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2018
i think in some countries abroad like the US, medical doctors affix the title M.D. at the end of their name to prevent confusion, i think this is the way it should be.
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by jefdr001: 7:49pm On Dec 03, 2018
Kampack:

go get one first! I doubt if you have written your mbbs finals. You lack maturity. If the way you address issues is the same manner of approach you employ to treat patients, then I'm now fully convinced that Nigerians are really in SHITHOLE!

You are here harping about Mbbs being ultimate achievement in life. Guy, wake up. We are in the 21st century and Smart men DON'T think that way. angry angry Saying Mbbs weighs more than a PhD simply shows how much of a slow poke you are! Did you read your medical texts at all or you just cram to get a pass. Many medical texts were written by authors with MD, PhD degrees. Today's world revolves around innovation and there is no novel innovation without cutting-edge RESEARCH! Enough said. I still repeat it that you don't belong to my class and you'll NEVER!

I hate dimwits who come online to publicize their mediocrity. angry

Epain am.
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by mrrights: 1:12pm On Dec 04, 2018
cheesy
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by danwilliams4u(m): 5:42pm On Dec 04, 2018
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by avvymalhotra: 6:24pm On Dec 06, 2018
very good writes you share
Buy Instagram Followers
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by mrrights: 12:59am On Dec 07, 2018
It is well
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by mrrights: 1:01am On Dec 07, 2018
avvymalhotra:
very good writes you share
Buy Instagram Followers

Inbox me
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by bilms(m): 3:24pm On Dec 24, 2019
grin
Re: Only Phd Holders Should Use Doctor’s Title, Abdulrazaq O Hamzat by Jman06(m): 5:17pm On Dec 24, 2019
Vdsc:

Just imagine that guy.

Someone with a PhD in mechatronics, process control or astrophysics has done less work than a doctor?

Madness on nairaland.

Even medical doctors cannot cope with those disciplines.
The IQ requited for doctorates there is more than what is required in the usual medical field.
You're wrong and I still stand on my submission.

If you talk about PhD in mechatronics, I might agree with you after confirming the PhD thesis and quality of work done by the student as authentic.

If it's about all these copy and paste kind of PhD holders we have in all Whatnots, then it's rubbish to even begin drawing a comparison between them and the well rounded medical, dental and pharmacy graduates.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Shuts Down All Unity Schools In Abuja Over Security Threats / Lagos Police: Two Autopsies Showed Sylvester Oromoni Died Naturally: Video / Did This Man Come To Your Secondary School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.