Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,284 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum (19599 Views)

Health Workers Give El-Rufai 48 Hours To Recall Sacked Nurses / SERAP Gives FG 7 Days To Release Details Of Payment Of ₦729Bn To 24.3m Nigerians / Ekiti Workers Give Fayose 14-day Ultimatum To Clear Unpaid Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by theoldpretender(m): 11:58pm On Dec 02, 2018
RealityShot:
why wait till december to strike?

and all the sharp practices fuel dealers engage in, doesn't those give them the profit?

Well, the simple answer is this

1.It costs N180 to import one liter of fuel.

2.Marketers sell fuel at N142-N145 per liter.

3.Meaning...most marketers sell at a loss.

4.Government pays them the difference.

5.The method of payment is 'promisory notes'...meaning govt promises to pay them the difference at some time in the future.

6.Of course...most marketers cannot do business under such circumstances...so they take loans from banks to stay afloat. That is not sustainable.

7.So...marketers engineer subsides...to get their money from the government

8.Marketers also use the opportunity to smuggle fuel across the borders...to neighbouring African countries where fuel is sold at prices as high as N250 or more per liter legally...which enables them to make some money...to keep their businesses flowing for the next year.

They also sell to black marketers who then sell the fuel for higher prices..

The fact of the matter is...if they don't do this....they would be broke .....and then they would have to start sacking workers,and closing their fuel business.

That is how it has been going on for years.

Assuming oil subsidy goes...and government stops setting the price of fuel...or sets the price at a higher level than the landing costs...marketers would make enough of a protfit to be able to keep petrol flowing.

Some might even make enouigh profit to build new refineries.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by theoldpretender(m): 12:05am On Dec 03, 2018
olawooro:
Are you a member of that evil group or association, abi whatever they call themselves?

No.

Have been following the subsidy issue since the early 1990's...and like most Nigerians blamed government and the marketers. I even was one of those who called a certain Minister who stated that fuel was cheaper than cocacola in 2006 names.

However, since 2011...I have been educating myself more about the issue.

The problem is, marketers import fuel at N180 perliter....and sell it at N145 perliter. Meaning they lose N35 per liter of fuel sold.

Normally,government is supposed to pay the N35 difference,but due to low oil prices (keep in mind that Nigeria needs to seee crude oilprices at $140 per barrel to run a balanced budget...and right now.....fuel is low)....they cannot keep paying that money. (Corruption too makes the matter worse).

So marketers , facing an end of year loss that might force them to SACK WORKERS engage in scarcity...so that they can force government to pay up...while they also do things like selling oil to black marketers who sell it at a higher pricefor them, smuggle it to countries like Niger and Benin where oil is sold at a much higher price.....so that they can make money to keep their businesses above water.

That is why I think oil subsidy should go. Unless...you people want government to start taking more loans.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by ogtavia(m): 12:55am On Dec 03, 2018
I talk am, every December period, fuel scarcity. Which kind rubbish be this one na??
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by sacx: 1:06am On Dec 03, 2018
Something needs to be done urgently about these oil marketers. They keep holding the nation to ransom every festive season.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by contigiency(m): 1:08am On Dec 03, 2018
Stupid and wicked souls. Christmas has reached and they suddenly rememberd that they have demands to make. Real enemies of the people. Is it not to cause scarcity and unleash hardship on people when they are supposed to be celebrating. Evil men and women, even if government pays you people that money, as long as you people collected it under duress and suffering of the masses, it will still not be enough, it will not even be useful to any of you.

Whenever I checked incidents like this, i get more baffled that the people unleashing this kind of mayhem to their people whenever Christmas or similar festival is around the corner are mostly from the part of the country that proud themselves as Christians. Where as Muslims on the other hand seize similar opportunity whenever they are celebrating anything to crash prices of commodities so that it will be to the reach of all and sundry. And you claim you are better behaved. That is a fallacy.

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by mmadu5(m): 1:16am On Dec 03, 2018
buhari will die a horrible death , and his children shall parish , including his grand kids , i spit on this nation called nigeria , i will advice anyone reading this to leave this country i have connection in togo , benin , ghana , ivory coast and chad , these countries are x3 better than Nigeria , accommodation is free for mostly ladies , leave Nigeria before you die of either hunger or frustration
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by semyman: 3:42am On Dec 03, 2018
Opposition, they will be put to shame like ASUU.
Because the yuletide is around the corner?
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by hardbody: 4:14am On Dec 03, 2018
Kenekingisback:
Christmas go hot for Lagosians and Easterners grin

Hope they remember the experience last year ...N250/litre of fuel in East throughout Christmas and New Year.

This people would never learn and unlearn.

Useless APC government grin

We still travelled and this year wont be an exception.

A prince can never be a fugitive in another man's land. If you know you know

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by hardbody: 4:15am On Dec 03, 2018
mmadu5:
buhari will die a horrible death , and his children shall parish , including his grand kids , i spit on this nation called nigeria , i will advice anyone reading this to leave this country i have connection in togo , benin , ghana , ivory coast and chad , these countries are x3 better than Nigeria , accommodation is free for mostly ladies , leave Nigeria before you die of either hunger or frustration

Where are you ranting from? Oponu

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by Dayoara: 4:54am On Dec 03, 2018
It's a yearly phenomenal... So no one is shocked have been expecting it.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by simplycarro: 5:05am On Dec 03, 2018
Bastards
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by simplycarro: 5:08am On Dec 03, 2018
theoldpretender:

No.

Have been following the subsidy issue since the early 1990's...and like most Nigerians blamed government and the marketers. I even was one of those who called a certain Minister who stated that fuel was cheaper than cocacola in 2006 names.

The problem is, marketers import fuel at N180 perliter....and sell it at N145 perliter. Meaning they lose N35 per liter of fuel sold.

Normally,government is supposed to pay the N35 difference,but due to low oil prices (keep in mind that Nigeria needs to seee crude oilprices at $140 per barrel to run a balanced budget...and right now.....fuel is low)....they cannot keep paying that money. (Corruption too makes the matter worse).

So marketers , facing an end of year loss that might force them to SACK WORKERS engage in scarcity...so that they can force government to pay up...while they also do things like selling oil to black marketers who sell it at a higher pricefor them, smuggle it to countries like Niger and Benin where oil is sold at a much higher price.....so that they can make money to keep their businesses above water.

That is why I think oil subsidy should go. Unless...you people want government to start taking more loans.

Sheer ignorance.

Only NNPC imports PMS now in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by Gudwork(m): 5:30am On Dec 03, 2018
I remember how tough it was last December... people had it very tough travelling to their destinations.
Make govt cont dis useless act
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by topstone4: 5:33am On Dec 03, 2018
escapefromusa:

Nigeria Oil Workers Strike Over Inefficiencies, Corruption
December 16, 2014
https://www.voanews.com/a/nigeria-oil-workers-strike-over-inefficiencies-corruption/2560520.html

Well, Buhari promised change. So, where is the change?
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by Pavarottii(m): 5:39am On Dec 03, 2018
theoldpretender:
Oil subsidy must go

The main problem is the 800million that has to be paid in subsidy claims, IE the 800million difference between the cost of fuel and the cost importing it.

There is a solution to the problem. Allow marketers sell fuel at the price they want to sell. Yes. Fuel will sell as high as 300 naira per liter. Yes, life will get hard, but there will be no scarcity, no subsidy scams, and crucially long term prices will fall.

Oil subsidy must go. Since 2006, even since 1993!
Is now u know, wen gej wanted to remove it , u guys called him names
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by bigsmoke2(m): 6:23am On Dec 03, 2018
hisgrace090:
There's nothing like oil workers, if anything bring scarcity this time it may be as a deliberates attempt by the fg to suffer the Christians on this exmass season
how can you think like this, is it only Christians that use fuel during Christmas. How would a govt trying to retain office benefit from fuel scarcity two months to election. People just open mouth and talk Sha

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by FantasticJ: 7:12am On Dec 03, 2018
hisgrace090:
There's nothing like oil workers, if anything bring scarcity this time it may be as a deliberates attempt by the fg to suffer the Christians on this exmass season

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by hisgrace090: 7:18am On Dec 03, 2018
bigsmoke2:
how can you think like this, is it only Christians that use fuel during Christmas. How would a govt trying to retain office benefit from fuel scarcity two months to election. People just open mouth and talk Sha

So we ought to be glad suffering fuel scarcity every exmass?

Why is it always on this period?
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 03, 2018
Always fuel scarcity under APC and Buhari whenever Christians are to celebrate a festivity.....
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by kumakunta: 7:18am On Dec 03, 2018
hisgrace090:
Are there no Christians in the FG ? Or why are the Christians there suffering fellow Christians ? And are all oil marketers Muslims , I believe we have a lot of Christian marketers so why do they also go with the plan to suffer their fellow Christians ?

Always make comments like an adult .
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by doshe39(m): 7:26am On Dec 03, 2018
hisgrace090:
brain like that of fish
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by hisgrace090: 7:31am On Dec 03, 2018
kumakunta:

Are there no Christians in the FG ? Or why are the Christians there suffering fellow Christians ? And are all oil marketers Muslims , I believe we have a lot of Christian marketers so why do they also go with the plan to suffer their fellow Christians ?

Always make comments like an adult .

Who told you that Christians can't exploit fellow Christians?

Why always on exmass period remain my question.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by theoldpretender(m): 7:36am On Dec 03, 2018
Pavarottii:

Is now u know, wen gej wanted to remove it , u guys called him names

Considering I supported removal of subsidy back in 2012....
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by theoldpretender(m): 7:38am On Dec 03, 2018
simplycarro:

Sheer ignorance.

Only NNPC imports PMS now in Nigeria.

And they force marketers to sell at the price NNPC sells to them.....

Also, much of the debt collector edition from the time when marketers were importing as well.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by kumakunta: 7:42am On Dec 03, 2018
hisgrace090:

Who told you that Christians can't exploit fellow Christians?

Why always on exmass period remain my question.
I don’t think it is a Christmas thing but rather an end of the year rush .Christians do have Easter around March , April and we never get to witness scarcity . Unlike the Muslim festival that has no specific month .
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by AdeniyiA(m): 7:54am On Dec 03, 2018
hisgrace090:
Perhaps they want to raise money for elections ,All Pathetic Criminals

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by Ttom(m): 8:17am On Dec 03, 2018
Oh Nigeria!
A country like Nigeria,
major player in the oil and gas industry,
one of the major oil producers
yet cannot refine enough to meet her demands.
Jobs and money everywhere if we have more
refineries and refine our products. so sad!
In almost 4 years of APC promised "change" no single refinery is added

God please help Nigeria
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by omojeesu(m): 8:40am On Dec 03, 2018
As usual December don come.

Blackmail don start.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by grandstar(m): 9:17am On Dec 03, 2018
theoldpretender:

No.

Buhari had the golden opportunity to deregulate the price of petrol when prices were very low but refused to.

His lamentable understanding of economics,and his obstinancy has created this 800billion hole.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by theoldpretender(m): 9:41am On Dec 03, 2018
grandstar:

Buhari had the golden opportunity to deregulate the price of petrol when prices were very low but refused to.

His lamentable understanding of economics,and his obstinancy has created this 800billion hole.

Let's forget politics for a few minutes...and imagine Buhari removed fuel subsidy.

All Nigerians would see is that fuel has gone up to N250 or more per liter. They won't hear 'Long term benefits"

There will be riots on the street.

After all, GEJ did the same thing (raised it to N140 per liter from N65)...and there were riots on the streets....

No Nigerian leader wants to deregulate. It is too politically expensive. DESPITE the fact that it is good economic practice that might even benefit us in the LONG run.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by franklingud(m): 9:43am On Dec 03, 2018
Every Christmas in Nigeria is like Christmas in hell.

Fuel scarcity must be experienced, why

Why Nigeria?
Muslims will celebrate every other celebrations they have no single fuel scarcity, but let Christmas come... Every good in the market will add price.

Why?? Why??

Shameless country!

And right now, because of election and campaigns going on, there's no more power failure.
Immediately after elections and the winner is declared, come and see power failure!

Nigeria why??

So much stupidity and corruption in this country.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Give FG 7-Day Ultimatum by adanny01(m): 10:12am On Dec 03, 2018
This perennial fuel shortage during Christmas is obviously sabotage by these guys for their own benefit.

They want to make momey through black market.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Count The Cost: How Is The Posponement Of Election Affecting You? / Peter Obi: Between Mark Leon Goldberg And Rinu Oduala And Adamu Garba On Twitter / Israel Begins Mass Deportation Of Nigerians.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.