Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,980 members, 7,835,285 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust (14243 Views)

Pls Help: Catalytic Converter Missing In Exhaust Pipe / Do You Know How Dangerous The Car Exhaust Is To Your Health? / How Does Burst Silencer/exhaust Affect Fuel Consumption? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by austinike(m): 12:48pm On Jul 30, 2010
pls watz d reason n solution to black carbon in my 2002 honda accord car exhaust
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by ALAKANNI(m): 2:47pm On Jul 30, 2010
Your car is 'drinking' fuel. i.e. excess fuel is getting to your injector, more than it should take normally. The excess fuel is now burning out and that is what you are seeing as black carbon. See your auto technician. Cheers!!!!
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by seal777(m): 3:16pm On Jul 30, 2010
if what ALAKANNI is analyzing is correct, have them check ur brain box.

1 Like

Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by acaolly1(m): 4:00pm On Jul 30, 2010
Brain box ke!!!! shocked dont mind him o. the other guy is correct take it to ur Mechanics.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by chelseabmw(m): 8:27pm On Jul 30, 2010
seal777:

if what ALAKANNI is analyzing is correct, have them check your brain box.

Just imagine!

1 Like

Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by EEL: 3:31am On Jul 31, 2010
Why not save your time and scan the car to know what exactly the problem is. Avoid your Mechanic and Rewire guessing game. After the scan, you will know exactly what is responsible for the excessive fuel consumption as the case may be.

Best Regards
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by seal777(m): 2:56pm On Aug 02, 2010
Easier for any of u to jump at me but say wateva u like: time will tell, except the poster didnt come back to post the result of his findings.

Allow them to finger ur engine up and u might end up changing it.
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by austinike(m): 9:55am On Aug 05, 2010
pls where is fuel filter located in 2002 accord ?sombody said it does not have a fuel filter.
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by baba4u93(m): 3:20pm On Aug 05, 2010
i will ask u 2 bring the car 2 my workshop for scan or call my number 08032016668, 08023352829. What u are having in d accord will b that of ur O2 sensor might be bad, airflow meter might b bad, air fuel bad as a result of catalyst removed, injector nossle might b dirty etc. but ttry 2 scan b4 taking it 2 mechanic plsssssss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by Dragonfly7: 3:48pm On Aug 05, 2010
i will seriously and strongly advise u 2 get the car to a scannnig machine or the scanning machine to the car either way get it scanned FAST and stop this guess work. aword is enuf 4 d wise
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by baba4u93(m): 8:40am On Aug 06, 2010
Appreciate ur call yestaday, as u insisted that u wanted 2 knw d location of ur car fuel filter, d answer wc i wasnt comfortable given out basically because of these ur mechanic that will turn d thing around 4 u, d filter is simply located directly with ur fuel pump, it looks like divers swimming footwears whitish in colour and ur fuel pump is in ur fuel tank, and they only wash it with water and if u want 2 replace it u will have 2 buy it along with fuel pump, av a good day.
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by sultaan(m): 6:52pm On Aug 06, 2010
Don't touch nothing, all you need is a fuel injector cleaner to clean up the nozzle(fine spray).Add to your fuel tank
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by igbanbajo(m): 9:05am On Aug 07, 2010
@austinike

If you give a Hausa man a medicine to cure an ailment, he'll ask you if you've suffered from that ailment in the past and if you got well after taking the medicine you just prescribed to him. If you answer in the affirmative, then, he accepts your prescription. I will share my experience with you.

I had the same problem with my Toyota Camry (thin/tiny light) - V6 engine.
It burnt my fuel like fuel burning was getting out of fashion. The resultant smoke from the exhaust was coal black and was a source of great embarrassment (picture yourself driving a car like this in VI, whereupon revving your engine, the atmosphere changes to black – no thanks to your car). It got so bad that coagulated smoke (in solid form) came out of my exhaust pot.

What did I do?
From the time this problem began, my mechanic checked and did a lot of servicing work (with each visit costing some money).
I later concluded that it was time for me to visit another mechanic. The second person used a scanner. The scanner told him IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Circuit Malfunction. He went ahead to change something in the bonnet which he called the heat sensor. When he brought it out, he showed me that it was broken (I confirmed it was broken, hence, I gave him money to change it). End result – inordinate fuel burning/black smoking continued.

After this, I scanned the car elsewhere. The result was still IAT Circuit Malfunction. At this juncture, I was asked to change my air flow meter. This done, the problem continued.

On recommendation, I took it to a more reputable mechanic who did a comprehensive servicing work (to include injector nozzles clean-up). Result was the same and I fed him back with the result.

Later, he called me to say that I would need to change my car’s ECM (a.k.a. brain box). To cut a long story short. The very minute this was done (by a rewire), the smoke stopped. It was as if it was the rewire that put the problem there. Needless to say that before this problem was solved; I spent a lot of money… changing my airflow meter thrice, changing a HEAT sensor, paying for servicing more frequently than was required, and through all these, putting up with artisans’ intricate web of lies.

I took the pain to explain the foregoing because I felt your pain. If there was somebody to advise me based on personal experience, I’d have saved a lot of money, time, energy and prestige (less embarrassment).

Now my advice: get your car scanned. If the result is IAT Circuit Malfunction (error code P0110), then replace your airflow meter. If this doesn’t work, it just might be that the part of your car’s ECM responsible for regulating the meter is faulty. Then change the ECM.

If you require my assistance, I can give you the phone number of the rewire that did the ECM change out for me (he’s at Ladipo auto parts market). If you want this, just drop your number on this thread and I’ll get back to you, insha Allah.

The link below leads you to a detailed explanation of error code P0110.
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/maintitems/enginecode/cip0110.pdf

I wish you well.

3 Likes

Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by igbanbajo(m): 7:18am On Aug 11, 2010
smiley
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by igbanbajo(m): 7:46pm On Sep 03, 2010
@austinike

i hope you've found a solution to the problem?
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by seal777(m): 11:50am On Sep 04, 2010
@igbanbajo,

i thank you so much for your submission cos when i made the statement about the BRAIN BOX, u saw the comments made by other posters.

Sometimes when u sum up ur experience to give candid and fair advice to people in need, they tend to overlook it until they fall in the hands of those who will either request them to bring their car to the workshop for a fee or various lies to make them habitual faces in the mechanic workshop.

The owner of a Toyota Camry 99 V6 sold it to me barely a year of buying it ( out of which he hardly drives it cos of the smoke and fuel consumption) cos of this same problem, i fixed it by changing the brain box without trials cos i was aware before i bought the car and if i had offered to help him solve the problem, he wouldn't agree cos of the lies of various mechanic he has consulted.

I am not an auto engineer but i make research, i am proud to say that i have helped more than 4 nairalanders to solve the same problem, two of which we have had the opportunity to wine and dine at a joint there after with no kobo charged, neither did i suggest where to buy the brain box or a rewire to fix it for them.

No one is an island when it comes to knowledge, some learn from experience, some from training and some by research.

I reserve further comments till,

5 Likes

Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by chelseabmw(m): 10:41pm On Sep 04, 2010
that car needs servicing
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by igbanbajo(m): 6:36pm On Oct 08, 2010
seal777:

@igbanbajo,

i thank you so much for your submission cos when i made the statement about the BRAIN BOX, u saw the comments made by other posters.

Sometimes when u sum up your experience to give candid and fair advice to people in need, they tend to overlook it until they fall in the hands of those who will either request them to bring their car to the workshop for a fee or various lies to make them habitual faces in the mechanic workshop.

The owner of a Toyota Camry 99 V6 sold it to me barely a year of buying it ( out of which he hardly drives it cos of the smoke and fuel consumption) cos of this same problem, i fixed it by changing the brain box without trials cos i was aware before i bought the car and if i had offered to help him solve the problem, he wouldn't agree cos of the lies of various mechanic he has consulted.

I am not an auto engineer but i make research, i am proud to say that i have helped more than 4 nairalanders to solve the same problem, two of which we have had the opportunity to wine and dine at a joint there after with no kobo charged, neither did i suggest where to buy the brain box or a rewire to fix it for them.

No one is an island when it comes to knowledge, some learn from experience, some from training and some by research.

I reserve further comments till,

seal777,

You can't please the world. Just do your best and leave the rest.
In writing my expose, I was moved by the urge to help a fellow man by-pass the same troubles I went through.
If all persons will allow others to learn from them, then others will make fewer mistakes, and the world would be a better place to live in.

So long.

1 Like

Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by igbanbajo(m): 7:41pm On Oct 14, 2010
chelseabmw:

that car needs servicing

what type of servicing?
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by octar6: 10:58pm On Oct 14, 2010
@ poster, I am 1 of the N/landers seal 777 was talking about. I had a smiliar problem wif my toyota camry 1998 model(tiny light).It was seal777.onwan and sienna's advice i took. They all said I should get a rewire or change my brain box.And I bought a new brain box and boom,the problem was solved.Mean while I had changed my air flow meter 2wice,changed fuel filter and other components.
NOTE:most of these so called machanics cant use these scanners very well. grin
Cheers bro wink
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by chelseabmw(m): 6:25am On Oct 15, 2010
igbanbajo:

what type of servicing?

i don't believe u r asking me what servicing. . . . . . . . .ok,brain servicing
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by igbanbajo(m): 5:56pm On Oct 15, 2010
chelseabmw:

i don't believe u r asking me what servicing. . . . . . . . .ok,brain servicing

This is so uncharitable,  I wish you didn't say that.
It's people like you that make others run away from N/land.

I enjoy helping people in trouble out of their predicaments which was the reason I shared my experience with N/landers in the first place.
Think of the time it took me to write all that I did.
Let's conduct ourselves with utmost decorum.

Thanks for not raining abuses/curses as a response to this post.

5 Likes

Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by ATH: 9:05am On Oct 16, 2010
Pls, take the car for scanning. by the way, how much does it cost to conduct a standard car scan. also, what is the cost range of brain box?.
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by seal777(m): 5:02am On Oct 25, 2010
bought mine 18k plus fixing a yr ago bt priced last time at ladipo its 12k bt nt sure if its wit fixing.
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by Trac: 9:10pm On Apr 16, 2011
seal777:

if what ALAKANNI is analyzing is correct, have them check your brain box.

Hmn, the ECU when the vehicle is dumping fuel with inadequate air?! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked  There are better conclusions that are wrong than this.

Air/Fuel Ratio is off, fuel pressure modulator and some vehicles as this, O2 sensor.  If you bought a hot-rodded Honda with compressors, you are most likely to experience this when the compressors go out or the setup went wrong somewhere.  It is never the ECU.
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by abdulmajin: 4:55am On Sep 08, 2015
God Bless nairaland for this post and I will like to share it at http://360CRIBNG.COM
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by biridon(m): 4:14am On Aug 11, 2018
acaolly1:
Brain box ke!!!! shocked dont mind him o. the other guy is correct take it to ur Mechanics.

he may be correct..I am having the same issue and mechanic said it's brain box..
I just tire.. I have changed the air flow meter and injector washed..yet?..
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by biridon(m): 4:23am On Aug 11, 2018
igbanbajo:
@austinike

If you give a Hausa man a medicine to cure an ailment, he'll ask you if you've suffered from that ailment in the past and if you got well after taking the medicine you just prescribed to him. If you answer in the affirmative, then, he accepts your prescription. I will share my experience with you.

I had the same problem with my Toyota Camry (thin/tiny light) - V6 engine.
It burnt my fuel like fuel burning was getting out of fashion. The resultant smoke from the exhaust was coal black and was a source of great embarrassment (picture yourself driving a car like this in VI, whereupon revving your engine, the atmosphere changes to black – no thanks to your car). It got so bad that coagulated smoke (in solid form) came out of my exhaust pot.

What did I do?
From the time this problem began, my mechanic checked and did a lot of servicing work (with each visit costing some money).
I later concluded that it was time for me to visit another mechanic. The second person used a scanner. The scanner told him IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Circuit Malfunction. He went ahead to change something in the bonnet which he called the heat sensor. When he brought it out, he showed me that it was broken (I confirmed it was broken, hence, I gave him money to change it). End result – inordinate fuel burning/black smoking continued.

After this, I scanned the car elsewhere. The result was still IAT Circuit Malfunction. At this juncture, I was asked to change my air flow meter. This done, the problem continued.

On recommendation, I took it to a more reputable mechanic who did a comprehensive servicing work (to include injector nozzles clean-up). Result was the same and I fed him back with the result.

Later, he called me to say that I would need to change my car’s ECM (a.k.a. brain box). To cut a long story short. The very minute this was done (by a rewire), the smoke stopped. It was as if it was the rewire that put the problem there. Needless to say that before this problem was solved; I spent a lot of money… changing my airflow meter thrice, changing a HEAT sensor, paying for servicing more frequently than was required, and through all these, putting up with artisans’ intricate web of lies.

I took the pain to explain the foregoing because I felt your pain. If there was somebody to advise me based on personal experience, I’d have saved a lot of money, time, energy and prestige (less embarrassment).

Now my advice: get your car scanned. If the result is IAT Circuit Malfunction (error code P0110), then replace your airflow meter. If this doesn’t work, it just might be that the part of your car’s ECM responsible for regulating the meter is faulty. Then change the ECM.

If you require my assistance, I can give you the phone number of the rewire that did the ECM change out for me (he’s at Ladipo auto parts market). If you want this, just drop your number on this thread and I’ll get back to you, insha Allah.

The link below leads you to a detailed explanation of error code P0110.
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/maintitems/enginecode/cip0110.pdf

I wish you well.

I am just passing through what you experienced.. I need help.. my highlander is "swallowing fuel "

1 Like

Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by Donjuan77: 6:13am On Sep 22, 2022
Am avin d feelings that I also have such issues, mine is that the fuel gauge goes down easily to yellow light but I still drive like about 63 or more km when it shows the fuel yellow light. When engine is idling or driving you won't see or notice black smoke on cabon coming out from exhaust but if you dip your finger inside the exhaust you will bring out black carbon from the exhaust. Please what can I do cause am so confused if it's consuming or not
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by Donjuan77: 5:05pm On Oct 04, 2022
Please someone should help say something about mine
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by felix55(m): 1:00pm On Oct 05, 2022
Donjuan77:
Am avin d feelings that I also have such issues, mine is that the fuel gauge goes down easily to yellow light but I still drive like about 63 or more km when it shows the fuel yellow light. When engine is idling or driving you won't see or notice black smoke on cabon coming out from exhaust but if you dip your finger inside the exhaust you will bring out black carbon from the exhaust. Please what can I do cause am so confused if it's consuming or not

Scan ur car & share code ... Meanly it must be ur O2 is not working ...
Re: Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust by MomentoMori: 11:34am On Oct 13, 2022
Donjuan77:

Have you been able to resolve this? if yes, how?

I am experiencing same problem.

I scanned, it gave the 02 Sensor 1 and 2. I have changed them. No check engine sign on the dash board again, however, the fuel consumption is till the same, if you dip your finger inside the exhaust pipe, you will bring out thick black carbon.

I need help, please!!

(1) (Reply)

How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? / Bugatti Veyron 16.4: World's Most Expensive Car / My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.