Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,909 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? (14512 Views)

Which Course Do You Wish You Have Studied? / The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria / Pls I Need Help For Waec Requirements To Study Any Engineering Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 3:54pm On Aug 01, 2010
An argument cropped up in my school, University Of Abuja, on the most preferable engineering course. though there are many engineering fields, the ones considered were: Elect/elect, chem engr, mech engr, civil engr, computer engr,. give reasons why anyone of these is most preferable.
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by martyns303(m): 6:15pm On Aug 01, 2010
When u say sumtin is more prefered it means it is more accepted right? In that case its E/E, its far more marketable than any other eng. Course, there's no firm, company or organization that do not need an elect engr. Its got no boundries, from oil firms to bankin, construction, power, manufacturing even in church. As a matter of fact others courses will need an elect engr but not necessarily the other way round. And yes am E/E student.
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Odirah(m): 7:45pm On Aug 01, 2010
Richiez:

An argument cropped up in my school, University Of Abuja, on the most preferable engineering course. though there are many engineering fields, the ones considered were: Elect/elect, chem engr, mech engr, civil engr, computer engr,. give reasons why anyone of these is most preferable.
I guess u are wrong,am a staff in NUC and 4rm statistics we hv this yr in uniabuja,30% of d engineering fields chosen by by prospective student was chemical engineering,in futo it was 45%,in unilag it was 32%,in UNN,since they dnt offer chemical engineering,d % was much on mechanical(48%),Uniben 39% and so on. So i think most preferable is chemical enginnering cuz of d huge salary received by people workin in oil companies
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by eddie30(m): 2:33am On Aug 02, 2010
Guy na electrical engineering oh. Most people that go into chemical engineering na because them want work for oil company! But na electrical engineering be the best

1 Like

Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by martyns303(m): 4:08pm On Aug 02, 2010
like E/E its not in oil comapnies. same pay
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by lomaxx: 8:28pm On Aug 02, 2010
Biomedical Engineering.
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Kenturky1: 6:16pm On Aug 03, 2010
becos dat is their area of discipline embarassed
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 12:14pm On Aug 04, 2010
martyns303:

When u say sumtin is more prefered it means it is more accepted right? In that case its E/E, its far more marketable than any other eng. Course, there's no firm, company or organization that do not need an elect engr. Its got no boundries, from oil firms to bankin, construction, power, manufacturing even in church. As a matter of fact others courses will need an elect engr but not necessarily the other way round. And yes am E/E student.
wow! that's a good reason why E/E should be preferred. though I'm drawing no conclusion yet. more reasons!
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 12:22pm On Aug 04, 2010
@Odirah, thanks for giving us that statistics. it's true, prospective student's prefer chemical engineering cuz of d huge salary received by people workin in oil companies
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 12:27pm On Aug 04, 2010
@lomaxx, ur reason?
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by fabby26(m): 12:52pm On Aug 04, 2010
I think I should go by Chemical Engineering because of its wide range of application in all chemical Industry such as Pharmaceuticals, Soap production,Detergents ,Oil producing companies, breweries. it is not restriced unlike other engineering courses. etc
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 1:27pm On Aug 04, 2010
fabby26:

I think I should go by Chemical Engineering because of its wide range of application in all chemical Industry such as Pharmaceuticals, Soap production,Detergents ,Oil producing companies, breweries. it is not restricted unlike other engineering courses. etc
what a splendid reason! I'm really impressed.
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 1:51pm On Aug 04, 2010
How come no one is talking about mechanical engr, civil engr & comp engr. comments please, as the debators now look up to you guys as the judge.
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by eddie30(m): 11:13pm On Aug 04, 2010
The verdict has been give. In relation to this topic, electrical engineering is the most preferred & best. All other courses na beans. The case has been dismissed. That's final. Whatever anyone else says will be taken as a withness against u.
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by martinosi: 10:47am On Aug 05, 2010
All are important, the one which is the best for a person is
the one that he/she has a desire to study, has done the prelimindary research on via google, youtube, google video,Wikipedia or an online forum like the one from MIT, talked with a lecturer/professor or Dr in that field, gone to a company or firm that specializes in that type of engineering and weighed up his option before filling him UME/Uni application form.

THIS IS WHAT A PRE-UNI STUDENT SHOULD BE DOING ie COUNTING THE COST BEFORE TAKING A BIG LEAP,
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by lomaxx: 11:00am On Aug 05, 2010
lomaxx:

Biomedical Engineering.
Richiez:

@lomaxx, your reason?
most engineering students hate biology with passion and also most medical students hate advanced mathematics with zeal. . . .but I am caught up in d middle. I love maths as d complexity ascends the scale as much as i enjoy studying d human body. I luv engineering as much as i luv human medicine. So , biomedical engineering was d best choice 4 me. It's just the application of the design and problem solving skills of engineering with medical science 2 improve healthcare diagnosis and treatment.
Right now i'm studying medicine,but i'm seriously considering b.m.e. 4 postgraduate studies.
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by lomaxx: 11:23am On Aug 05, 2010
applications of mechanical engineering in medicine

Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by lomaxx: 11:27am On Aug 05, 2010
application of electrical engineering in medicine

Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by lomaxx: 5:18pm On Aug 05, 2010
application of electrical engineering in medicine

Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 8:30pm On Aug 05, 2010
that's good lomaxx. hm application of mechanical engineering in medicine (contraction and relaxation of the optic nerves) & application of electrical engineering in medicine (conduction of nervous impulses through charged ions)
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by lomaxx: 9:16pm On Aug 05, 2010
[s]it's a nice field, buh nigeria is so limiting. . . .i dnt think there's any fed. University offering d course. Too bad.[/s]
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by desertboom(m): 9:20pm On Aug 05, 2010
@ Odirah. Nice to know you are NUC staff please I have questions that demands answer from you. I am studying mechanical engineering in Imo State University (300 level) but the course is not accredited including Civil, Elect/elect and agricultural engineering infact the entire faculty is not accredited since It's existence for the past four years. However, I just want to know the criteria for accreditation of engineering faculty. Can four department be accredited at thesame time? Please, I need enlightenment because I want to change to another course like industrial physics. Thanks
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by lomaxx: 9:23pm On Aug 05, 2010
it's a nice field, buh nigeria is so limiting. . . .i dnt think there's any fed. University offering d course. Too bad.
Richiez:

that's good lomaxx. hm application of mechanical engineering in medicine (contraction and relaxation of the optic nerves) & application of electrical engineering in medicine (conduction of nervous impulses through charged ions)
***suprised***
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by lomaxx: 9:47pm On Aug 05, 2010
Richiez:

Nice guess. The application of mech. engin. is a prosthetic <artificial> eye. Very interesting application of engineering in opthalmology.
The second, which is d application of electrical engineering , is an MRI scan of the human head. It is used for diagnostic imaging. Another very interesting application.i.e diagnosis by pictures. Great uh

U were actually correct about the conduction of impulses across nerves. There are two types==>> 1) by ions- which uses neurotransmitters like acetylcholine and 2) electrically which uses in differences in voltage to transmit nervous impulses.

These processes can be induced artificially by the application of biophysics and electronic engineering respectively in medicine.

Seriously, Nigeria has a long long long way to go in this regard.

1 Like

Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 9:54am On Aug 09, 2010
someone said: chemical engr can't be learn't through apprenticeship unlike mech engr-road side mechanic, elect/elect- electrician, computer engr- in computer sch, civil engr- bricklayers & co. how true is this?
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Newnikolas(m): 2:10pm On Aug 09, 2010
No course is better than the other. Success is directly proportional to one's committment irrespective of the choosen field of endeavour. I rest my case!

1 Like

Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by nomoneydow: 2:20pm On Aug 09, 2010
chemical engr
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by lomaxx: 1:05am On Aug 10, 2010
Richiez:

someone said: chemical engr can't be learn't through apprenticeship unlike mech engr-road side mechanic, elect/elect- electrician, computer engr- in computer sch, civil engr- bricklayers & co. how true is this?

There is a serious difference between an engineer and a technician. A technician undergoes apprenticeship without any form of 'formal education' in d choosen field. Take electrical / electronic engineering for example, it's more than just joining wires. That's wat technicians do. But as an engineer, you deal more with evolving problem solving techniques, patterns etc and the design of equipments. That's why engineers do more of advanced mathematics and engineering drawings.
That's why an electrical engineer chooses options in communication, instrumentation &control, and power. A technician doesn't have those choices. So mechanical engineers are more than road side mechanics. In fact, a mechanical engr. with a 2.2 can't be a roadside mechanic. There're prospects man!
That said, you can understand why chemical engineering can't be done by apprenticeship.

3 Likes

Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 12:23pm On Aug 16, 2010
@lomaxx, thanks for shedding more light.
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 3:07pm On Jan 29, 2012
who know the best school in Nigeria where one can study Engineering
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by pendusky(m): 5:24pm On Jan 29, 2012
After seeing IEEE as the largest profesional asociation,u guys should hav no doubt dat EE is most popular n prefered. I remain EE engineer for life.
Re: Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? by Richiez(m): 2:04pm On Feb 02, 2012
pendusky:

After seeing IEEE as the largest profesional asociation,u guys should hav no doubt dat EE is most popular n prefered. I remain EE engineer for life.
well, if u say so, but i don't think dats enough reason, anywayz thumbs up for speaking for ur profession

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Write A Good Essay In Waec / How To Apply For 2018 UCLAN Cyprus Scholarship For International Students / FG Offers Placement To Ukraine-based Nigerian Students Amid ASUU Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.