Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Why Buhari Didn't Sign Electoral Bill - Omo-agege Explains - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Didn't Sign Electoral Bill - Omo-agege Explains (268 Views)

Bolaji Akinyemi: How Jonathan Didn't Sign Confab Report / President Buhari Didn't Wear Face-Mask. EU Delegates Wore FaceMasks As They Meet / What Buhari's Refusal To Sign Electoral Bill Will Do To Nigeria In 2019 - Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Why Buhari Didn't Sign Electoral Bill - Omo-agege Explains by Oyinsblog(m): 4:10pm On Dec 08, 2018
Senator representing Delta Central, Ovie Omo-Agege, said the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance forbids President Muhammadu Buhari from signing the Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill.

The All Progressives Congress lawmaker gave this insight in a phone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja on Friday night.

Article 2 of the protocol forbids member countries from making “substantial modification” to their electoral laws less than six months to elections “except with the consent of a majority of political actors”.

Omo-Agege, who is a staunch supporter of the President, noted that with the elections less than three months away, signing the bill would violate the ECOWAS instrument.

NAN reports that the presidential and National Assembly elections are slated for Feb. 16, 2019, while those of governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections will hold on March 2.

Omo-Agege said, “I have yet to see the president’s letter to the Senate, but this bill means so much to Mr President. On a good day, he would want to sign it.

“However, without even seeing the reasons he has advanced so far, I am aware of the challenges posed by the ECOWAS protocol.

“I don’t know if that is part of the reasons he has advanced, but with the bill coming two months or thereabout before the election, assenting to it will breach the protocol.”

NAN reports that Buhari did not mention the ECOWAS instrument as part of his reasons for declining assent to the bill for the fourth time.

The president’s latest decision came in a letter dated Dec. 6, 2018 and addressed to both chambers of the National Assembly.

Continue Reading

http://www.justofofo.com.ng/2018/12/why-buhari-didnt-sign-electoral-bill.html?m=1
Re: Why Buhari Didn't Sign Electoral Bill - Omo-agege Explains by Mynd44: 5:15pm On Dec 08, 2018

(1)

PHOTO NEWS From Edo Govt House / 2019: Nothing Will Stop Me From Supporting Buhari - Okorocha Son-in-law / Now That The Governor Is Talking... *otobong Sampson*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.