Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,548 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

I’m SORRY, Mbaka Apologises To Obi, As Catholic Bishops Issues Strict Warning - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m SORRY, Mbaka Apologises To Obi, As Catholic Bishops Issues Strict Warning (522 Views)

Subsidy: I’m Sorry For The Next President – Sanusi / Deji Adeyanju To Obi Cubana: You Will End Up In Jail Like Hushpuppi / Nigerians React As Atiku Picks Peter Obi As Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I’m SORRY, Mbaka Apologises To Obi, As Catholic Bishops Issues Strict Warning by themomentng: 11:44pm On Dec 08, 2018
Spiritual Director of Adoration Ministry Enugu (AMEN) and outspoken Catholic priest, Rev Fr. Ejike Mbaka, has issued an open and unreserved apology to former governor of Anambra State and PDP Vice Presidential candidate, Mr. Peter Obi, following the embarrassing comments he subjected the former governor to, during the thanksgiving and bazaar programme of the church, last Sunday.
Fr. Mbaka’s apology is coming on the heels of a stern warning by the Catholic Bishop’s Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) against the use of the church by the priest to engage in activities and actions that contradicts the church’s doctrine.
But addressing a mammoth congregation during his weekly adoration night prayers on Friday night, the fiery Catholic priest also urged his members to sheath their sword and end the on going social media war that was sparked off by the events of last Sunday.
He said: “Some of you may be expecting me to write something and put it online or join the attacking or defensive group. It’s not my job. I don’t have time to waste. I am not even a priest of social media. It may surprise you to hear that I don’t even have a personal Facebook account.
“So all these I am hearing, I don’t even know about them. Meanwhile, on behalf of myself, Rev. Fr. Mbaka Ejike, the servant and the spiritual director of this Adoration Ministry, Enugu Nigeria, I wish to apologise humbly to the former governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi, who came here on Sunday for Bazaar, in anyway, shape or form my utterances or actions induced, initiated or prompted derogatory remarks, criticisms, unhealthy attack on his personality.
“I didn’t intend any of these. All I said on that day, I never meant to insult him or to bring his political career down. My intention was simply to support the work of God. If my actions exhibited misdemeanor or any unhealthy attitude that provoked even himself and those who love him that brought about all these verbal attacks, I am asking whoever is or was or may be hurt to please forgive me.
“Henceforth, I will equally encourage adoration members to keep focused on Christ whom we worship here and I will ask you to cease fire. Stop fighting back.”
It would be recalled that Fr Mbaka had, during the thanksgiving and bazaar programme of the Church, to which they invited dignitaries, mainly politicians, cajoled Mr. Obi to announce his monetary donation and the project he would execute within the Adoration ground, despite the the fact that the former governor had earlier told him that he would discuss with him privately on that.
After cajoling Obi to no avail, Fr. Mbaka made some uncomplimentary remarks, including calling him a “stingy man”.
The development that went viral in the media sparked off criticisms of the Rev. Father’s behaviour, even as his supporters returned the diatribe.
Weighing in on the matter, the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria, on Friday, warned Fr. Mbaka to desist from using the Catholic liturgical ceremonies for political campaigns.
They said the warning became imperative following the shameful scenario, which played out at the Adoration Centre ground between Mbaka and Peter Obi.
Secretary-General of CBCN, Rev. Fr. Ralph Madu, who spoke in Abuja at a briefing, reiterated that no Catholic priest or people of consecrated life should be actively involved in partisan politics in obedience to the Canon Law of the church.
He said: “The bishops condemn in totality, the shameful scenario on an adoration ground as contained in the video recording that has gone virile on the social media and say without reservation that the reported incident does not have the support of Bishops Conference of Nigeria.
“Our concern is for a peaceful election process seen to be free, fair, credible and just, and a democratic governance that guarantees peace, justice, equity, development and religious freedom for the common good.”

Re: I’m SORRY, Mbaka Apologises To Obi, As Catholic Bishops Issues Strict Warning by bankyblue(m): 12:17am On Dec 09, 2018
Mbaka for president 2023
Re: I’m SORRY, Mbaka Apologises To Obi, As Catholic Bishops Issues Strict Warning by Jadax(m): 6:28am On Dec 09, 2018
J

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Gov't Lied: Qatar Airways - We Were Never Interested In Nigeria Air / Don’t Disrupt 2019 Elections Over Minimum Wage Issue, Lai Mohammed Warns Labour / Just In: Local Government Secretariat, House Of Chairman Burnt Down In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.