Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned (4046 Views)

Photos Of The Students Drowned In The Marina Calabar Boat Mishap / How 2 BSU Students Drowned In Benue River. Photos / Burial Poster Of ABSU Nursing Student Who Got Drowned (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Nobody: 1:16am On Dec 10, 2018
Most of us drift through life pretty easily. Occasionally, something pops up forcing us to think outside of the box and do something we’re not too accustomed to but only rarely.

However, things can be very different if you’re a Navy Seal.

Clint Emerson is a former Navy Seal who has just written a book about 100 vital skills learnt in the U.S. Navy, and I think it’s only fair to say that while incredibly insightful, it’s pretty terrifying at times too.

In this excerpt from Clint’s book, 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative’s Guide, Clint explains what you should do if somebody tries to drown you – whether that be in anything from shallow water to a rough sea.

He writes:

When an operative is captured in hostile territory, the odds of survival are low.

Instead of being taken to trial, he will likely simply be made to “disappear” — which is why operatives practice escaping while wearing undefeatable restraints on hands and feet, both in water and on land.

Tied up, thrown into open waters, and left to drown to death, the well-trained operative still has recourse to a few skills that can help extend his life until he is found or reaches solid ground.

So as you can see, things are already pretty intense – but how can you stay alive?

When it comes to self-preservation in water, the key to survival is breath control. With the lungs full of air, the human body is buoyant — so deep breaths and quick exhales are key.

Buoyancy in freshwater is more challenging but still achievable. Panicking, which can lead to hyperventilation, is the number-one enemy to survival.

Restraints and body positioning may make breathing a challenge, but repositioning is always within the Nomad’s grasp. In shallow waters, use a sinking and bouncing approach (see diagram below) to travel toward shore, ricocheting off the seabed or lake floor up to the surface for an inhale.

When facing down, whether floating in place or using a backward kicking motion to swim to shore, the operative should arch his back in order to raise his head above water.

And what if you’re being drowned in rough water?

In rough seas, this may not give him enough clearance to get his head out of water. Instead, a full body rotation will allow him to take a deep breath and then continue travelling forward.

The idea is, that by travelling forward, hopefully the captured Seal will eventually find dry land, or at least somewhere they can free themselves from their restraints.

Either way, it’s still a terrifying thought – being completely tied up and left to ‘disappear’ in a bed of water.

Thank God there’s guys like Clint around to show us what to do.

SOURCE

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Nobody: 1:20am On Dec 10, 2018
cc: Richiez
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Wealth7(m): 1:46am On Dec 10, 2018
Lol ..what if you find urself drowning in the ocean or deep sea, how do u bounce back up

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Nobody: 2:29am On Dec 10, 2018
Wealth7:
Lol ..what if you find urself drowning in the ocean or deep sea, how do u bounce back up

Bouncing was not the only technique displayed on the picture.... Check out the remaining three....

2 Likes

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by MJBOLT: 3:27am On Dec 10, 2018
i dont think anybody can sustain any of the techniques for a long time,extreme fatigue will set in and if help doesnt come quick,that's the end.

2 Likes

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by pyyxxaro: 5:29am On Dec 10, 2018
I for like use papa yusuf test this pattern for River Niger

If e survive then , we are good to goo

1 Like

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by dkronicle(m): 5:38am On Dec 10, 2018
Do not believe this sh1t if the drownee hand has been tied from the back. Straight to underworld. Me and my guys don try am no be once. Tied our hands on dis weight stuff.

1 Like

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by BlackPantherxXx: 5:48am On Dec 10, 2018
Those SEALS are almost superhuman.

They are trained to extreme levels. Plenty drop out willingly from training...others die

I am a big fan of espionage thrillers.... The Special Activities Division (SAD) cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by MVLOX(m): 6:20am On Dec 10, 2018
I no sure say dis tin easy the way dem dey talk am sooo

4 Likes

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Opinionated: 6:40am On Dec 10, 2018
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by computerglobal(m): 6:51am On Dec 10, 2018
pyyxxaro:
I for like use papa yusuf test this pattern for River Niger

If e survive then , we are good to goo

Hahahaha who is papa Yusuf again
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Iamicekid(m): 7:32am On Dec 10, 2018
9ja and theory, why didn’t he get himself tied and do a video experiment for all of us to see nonsense people, Na only mouth dem get

2 Likes

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by saintjimos(m): 7:42am On Dec 10, 2018
MORE INFORMATIVE

BEST IS TO PREVENT IT
CUS U MIGHT NOT REM THIS THEORY WHILE FIGHTING TO SURVIVE
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by lyriclekidd(m): 7:44am On Dec 10, 2018
[quote author=Iamicekid post=73707763]9ja and theory, why didn’t he get himself tied and do a video experiment for all of us to see nonsense people, Na only mouth dem get [/quote

How is this 9ja??

1 Like

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Bloooody(m): 8:05am On Dec 10, 2018
I know the Nigerian troops don't know this.
Am sure they can't even read sef
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by czarina(f): 9:25am On Dec 10, 2018
computerglobal:

Hahahaha who is papa Yusuf again
How did you highlight those texts in your signature? Please reply. Thanks
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by metroid(m): 10:17am On Dec 10, 2018
Good info but not for those without swimming experience

1 Like

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by DonHummer(m): 11:03am On Dec 10, 2018
I neva sabi swim even with my two hands, una come dey teach me how to swim without hands. make una fear God o.

2 Likes

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Wadewaltz(m): 12:32pm On Dec 10, 2018
czarina:
How did you highlight those texts in your signature? Please reply. Thanks
How do u highlight ur cheekbone wit make-up?.Please reply.Thanks.sad
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Khd95(m): 12:36pm On Dec 10, 2018
those of u that have plans to enter italy thru libya,coman read and be equipped grin grin

1 Like

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by savagefinder1: 12:42pm On Dec 10, 2018
hmnn
being a drown survivor,
I can vividly say it is a terrible ordeal.
thinking about it sends a chill down my spine
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by iStayWoke(m): 12:59pm On Dec 10, 2018
Join StayWokeTV on WhatsApp and enjoy commentary on every thing worth talking about. There would be jokes, movie trailer uploads, fun facts, occasional giveaways etc. Expect us to be Nigerian, witty, tongue-in-cheeky, fun, & everything all at once.

Click here to join: https:///2348066799108?text=Hi%2C%20StayWokeTV%2C%20I'd%20love%20to%20join%20the%20Woke%20family.%20My%20name%20is
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by EbukaHades10(m): 12:59pm On Dec 10, 2018
Story. Who go die go die
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by permsec: 1:41pm On Dec 10, 2018
You mean when I jump off third mainland bridge, I should try tha abi?

2 Likes

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 10, 2018
Bloooody:
I know the Nigerian troops don't know this.
Am sure they can't even read sef
At least I know say them sabi DRILL civilians grin grin
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by SKhanmi: 3:03pm On Dec 10, 2018
Great book,many useful info there. But they are trained people. Even practiced all this in controlled environment. The ordinary person will panick. Show this to one of our soldiers, then throw him handcuffed at the back into one ordinary deep pond. Baba will still drown
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by martolux(m): 4:08pm On Dec 10, 2018
Me wey no fit swim for common plastic basin kiss lipsrsealed undecided

1 Like

Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by lordizak(m): 7:34pm On Dec 10, 2018
A stone will always sink.
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by dreamworld: 8:54pm On Dec 10, 2018
Why should you tie my hands and.expect me to swim
Re: Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned by kushercain: 9:39pm On Dec 10, 2018
What if the hands are tied down with something heavy like a wrecking ball that takes you straight to the bottom?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unn Primary Admission List Out: How To Check The 2011 Unn Primary Admission List / WAEC Withholds 112,000 Results Over Exam Fraud / Jamb Change Of Institution To First Choice Is A Total Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.