Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,521 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University (2633 Views)

The Reality Of Life After Graduation / School Bitter Truth: Life After Secondary School / My Husband Still Rides Okada - Success' Mum Speaks On Life After The Viral Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 11:32am On Dec 10, 2018
Hi Nairalander

I am here to share with your guys a story about a guy who struggled for 5 years after secondary school before he was admitted into the university.

Good day to everyone here, My name is Toluwani, Wanna share a brief story with us....

After graduating from Sec school May 2012, the euphoria of graduation and feeling of freedom was overwhelming, Waec Result was released August and from thence on it has been a hell of a journey. Failing maths and Biology in that exam, there was always an opportunity of a second trial..

2013 GCE came, Wrote it after much preparations and study... Results came out and twas Just the same... Math and Bio D7... I was perplexed, questions were being asked... Being one of the best students in the class, I couldn't just wrap my head around it.... Time was moving quickly.
I decided in 2013 that'll prepare Soo hard for 2014 exams so I'll be able to work on my purported weaknesses....

September 2014 GCE came.. I was brimming, practically on fire!.. I had spent most of the previous 11months reading like a medical student preparing for MB... Wrote each of the paper and was in a very confident mood... After the exams, I told my parents, this was my time!... And I ain't gonna be denied this time (Take note my parents are the types that NEVER supports Special centre or helping)...

December 21, 2014... The result came out.. I picked up my phone... Logged on to waec site and checked.... What a wonderful result!!!....Phy-B2, Chem-B2, Eng -B2, Maths- B3...... Biology D7 ... The feeling was like a thrust through the heart of a Persian soldier... I felt like twas the end...

Told my parents... In their words.. "Your next decision is up to you".. but always remember "we are solidly behind you" (No malpractice)

2weeks later, I contacted a sec school in my area.. and I was told to register for May/June internal waec 2015, I thought and sighed... Writing waec with my Juniors of 3years.. this is unthinkable... It was hard but I thought of the end game,...

Simultaneously I registered for Jamb 2015.... With awaiting result..
Wrote the exam with the same preparations.... Had *220*.. with my mentality of "above 200" as at that time.. I was satisfied
I knew something greater awaits... I didnt care how it felt...

April Internal WAec came
The exam came.. wrote it wit the same desire... Knowing it was my Fourth and I wanted it to be my last!...

After the exam.. I was Soo quiet, not too optimistic.. I was just awaiting the outcome without excessive Euphoria or expectations...

Immediately after the exam, I started preparing for post utme... I initially picked UNILORIN (biomedical engineering)... I later changed to Unibadan (Medicine)... Cos I heard that UI considers only Post utme scores for Admission (as at 2015).. I started the reading jamboree again...

Spending time to study and this time my preparations were soooo intense... I didn't even give in to the thoughts of "What bout your o level result"...

August 2015 came... I checked the result.... I had everything complete... Bio - B3, Maths- C4....and the rest... But with lots of C's...
I breathe relief... And focused more on my post Utme....

A month to the exam we were told... "no calculator for the UI post utme"... I was strucked.. how could this be?.. I quizzed... It changed the whole complexion of my preparations...

September 9 came.. that fateful Friday.. I wrote my exam in the human physiology lab.... 90min for 100 questions no calculator.. and in the Physics questions I could see "sin 27°" and some other impossible Calculations without calculator.. I did my best... 5min to go.. I was in no 87... I had to shade from 87-10calculator... Normal sturvs. ...

Five days later the result came out... I had 68.... I started quizzing again... Will I get medicine with this.. started worrying...
Cut off came out... Medicine - 74...

That was the turning point of my life.. I said to myself "Despite how tough and outrageous the post utme questions were, people still had 74+ and 80+.. I shouldn't be different"... I was given Geology and my dad kicked against it... UI 2015 story ended...

I headed to Ilaropoly, the polytechnic choice I picked... Wrote their post utme.. sweet English and maths... Had 75... Cut off wasn't released. Buh it was very sure I was gonna be admitted with such score... Not until I heard.. "If you don't pick the poly as your first choice, they'd not consider you despite the score"... I was devastated!... How can this be?!?!... With 75??!!... I was given Nothing!.. a girl with 25 picked em first choice in place of a university and was given the same course (Science lab tech).. I moved on...
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 11:33am On Dec 10, 2018
#Fynestboi
move this to FP
It will help a lot of depressed soul out there

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 11:34am On Dec 10, 2018
Continuation

University of medical sciences Ondo state, was inaugurated that year.. 2015... They released their post utme form (10,500 naira).. no one cared.. so far it's to get What I want.. I registered for the exam.. picked Medicine and I was ready for the battle...
The day came... Over 3000+ students came... We wrote the exam.. and the result was pasted in the school... Someone snapped it and I had 68... I was upbeat, to me, this was the time!... I'd definitely get admitted now... medicine cut off was released and twas 71!... I cried my head out!... 2015 wasted!. Twas painful and heartbreaking... But I never gave up!!
2016 Came.. I had registered for 2016 utme and I came up with the nick "Dr_Tholuwaniey"... My desire increased.. I was ready to die for what I wanted!.. Medicine..

The exam was 3months away.. I Read, covered the syllabus back to back and I was Soo prepared... Wrote 2016 exam and I had 287... My parents were optimistic.. I was also optimistic..

I started preparing for UI post utme again.. I was determined to prove UI wrong, determined to get what I wanted,
Then came mallam Adamu Adamu and he cancelled Post utme... and declared "o level screening".. it was disheartening.. I have B's and C's... At this point I started to think, am I cursed?.. or should I be studying at all!... My post utme aggregate score with o level screening was 63.7... UI mandated only those with 65 to even do change of course.. 2016 slipping away... Another year ahead.. I didn't cry!... I was even more determined...
2016 October I heard about OAU pre degree.. I wrote the entrance exam and went for the programme... Throughout the programme my eyes was on the prize... "Medicine".. I made it Soo personal that, when people ask me for the course I'm going for I tell em something else... Deep down.. my vibe never dropped.. I was more determined.. nothing to lose, everything to gain...

Jamb 2017 came I wrote and had 275... Lotta peeps blasted 300+, Juxtaposing PD work and Jamb prep together is alot to ask for... I prepared for Jamb with 2weeks... And with that score I was the more determined...

PD final exam was written and I has 83.1... merely 37th position outta over 800+ BCPites..

This prompted me to register for Post utme... Wrote post utme... (33/40...) Aggregate score - 74.3.... screening score 79.6

I was optimistic and I never stopped believing...
Medicine merit cut off was out and twas 76...
Another thought might have come... is it one of those years again?!?!

My aggregate with PD was 74.5
With Post jamb was 74.3
I was just in a pensive mood believing, this story isn't over!.. praying and believing!
The Catchment cut off came out
Ogun state was 73.9
I beat the Catchment with both aggregates.. I sighed relief...

January 26th 2018.. the struggle was ended.. a 5year wait!... a 5yr fight, battles were fought... All in the name of exams, seems the luck was Ill... But in the end Perseverance is the leading stone to success... I was given medicine!.. at last!

My main purpose of writing this life's epistle is for those that weren't Admitted due to one issue or the other.. never lose your belief, I practically know how it feels...

Never feel less bout yourself.. keep working, keep believing, explore every opportunity!... This you've experienced is just one of your life stories, it will pass and when you finally WIN, you'd forget the struggle...

Don't be pressured into making scary decisions... Always believe in yourself.. nothing in life is impossible!.. keep working, keep on!... Definitely you'd get it!... Whatever the course.. you're up for it!. This is just a training season.. a trying period..
The harvest will come... Don't give up!!!

©Dr_Toluwani

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by profolaafe(m): 11:44am On Dec 10, 2018
Do you have the writer's permission to post this @OP
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 12:05pm On Dec 10, 2018
profolaafe:
Do you have the writer's permission to post this @OP

Yea
Sure
Why asking?
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BlueRayDick: 1:41pm On Dec 10, 2018
Chai! 5 solid years when people don finish university, write KPMG test don start better work at 22,23. shocked

Bros you are lucky its medicine you finally got which does not require age limit when applying for jobs, if not you would've known what those 5 years actually mean in the Nigerian system.

All the same, congrats make the best out of your stay in school.

2 Likes

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by jaszplus12(m): 6:28pm On Dec 10, 2018
Well done OP! Na so my own do me back then!
Your dogged determination paid off!
I'll send this to my son to help him with his future plans!

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 7:59pm On Dec 10, 2018
jaszplus12:
Well done OP! Na so my own do me back then!
Your dogged determination paid off!
I'll send this to my son to help him with his future plans!

That's it
Determination and passion pays a lot

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by Danjuma827(m): 8:10pm On Dec 10, 2018
Congratulations bro. I am really happy for your passion and courage. Getting medicine is the foundation, but you must put hard work to finish strong. Wising you the best

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by NLbully(m): 9:25pm On Dec 10, 2018
My own story was even worst than yours, Imagine

Wrote WAEC and NECO Aced both of'em
Wrote Jamb Aced it also
No post utme and I got admission within a year of graduating from secondary school grin

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by yasolan(m): 12:07am On Dec 11, 2018
This is somehow

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by femi4: 5:25am On Dec 11, 2018
What a waist since 2012. You probably don't have pensioner parents and siblings depending on you.

Your mates are already giving back to the siblings and giving birth to their young ones. No joy in this story!
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 7:48am On Dec 11, 2018
NLbully:
My own story was even worst than yours, Imagine

Wrote WAEC and NECO Aced both of'em
Wrote Jamb Aced it also
No post utme and I got admission within a year of graduating from secondary school grin

Somehow and u said it's worst
See head
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 7:49am On Dec 11, 2018
yasolan:
This is somehow

How is it somehow sir Explain
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 7:50am On Dec 11, 2018
femi4:
What a waist since 2012. You probably don't have pensioner parents and siblings depending on you.

Your mates are already giving back to the siblings and giving birth to their young ones. No joy in this story!

Man
that's the benefit of leaving secondary school on time
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 7:52am On Dec 11, 2018
femi4:

And for ur information
There is lotta joy in it
Not all parent are demanding

Ya perfect example of Kill-Joy
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by NLbully(m): 5:31pm On Dec 11, 2018
BravoDe:

Somehow and u said it's worst
See head

Kikiki grin

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by Temzy1014(m): 6:57pm On Dec 11, 2018
very touching story

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by MTAIYEM: 7:26pm On Dec 11, 2018
CONGRATS BRO..

GRACE WILL SEE YOU THROUGH IN THIS NEW JOURNEY OF MEDICINE!

yours brother in it.

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 9:00pm On Dec 11, 2018
MTAIYEM:
CONGRATS BRO..
GRACE WILL SEE YOU THROUGH IN THIS NEW JOURNEY OF MEDICINE!

yours brother in it.

Yea May Grace see him through ijn

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 9:00pm On Dec 11, 2018
Temzy1014:
very touching story

Yea and motivating one
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by BravoDe: 9:01pm On Dec 11, 2018
NLbully:

Kikiki grin

SMH
Re: The Journey Of My Life After Secondary School Into The University by yusman14(m): 11:12pm On Dec 31, 2018
I know dis guy personally..we do call him DR tee..a very intelligent friend of mine,all d way from COHS..OAU...
#but dis story don old oo...

(1) (Reply)

Yabatech Change Of Course Form Now Out!!! 2013/2014 / I.J.M.B Form For 2014/2015 Session Is Still Sale / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.