Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew (34831 Views)

65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew / Weird Animals You Never Knew Existed In The World. / Some Facts About Nigeria You Never Knew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by LadyJasper: 8:28am On Dec 11, 2018
skales67:

https://www.nairaland.com/4896125/10-facts-elephants-never-knew/1#73739295
Still doesn't make male lions solitary animals, they are very social animals. You can say alpha males do drift away from their pride sometimes but not that they don't mingle with their females except for mating and feeding, they also groom each other ad sometimes hunt together with the females. You can't compare male lions to male elephants in respect of bachelor lifestyle, male elephants don't even have their own collection of females, they just wander around for life while male lions keep looking for a pride to take over.

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Kingjames(m): 8:28am On Dec 11, 2018
My Dad said he killed one largest elephant before we were born
and we believe him
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by bluefilm: 8:33am On Dec 11, 2018
skales67:

I once watched a particular episode in Nat Geo Wild where a lion in South Africa killed his own cub. The zoologists investigated it and found out that he did it because of fear of future predominance.

It's possible

But did he eat the cub afterwards...?

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by showafrica(m): 8:38am On Dec 11, 2018
skales67:

Most strong male animals prefer that bachelor lifestyle. Eg: Elephants, Lions, Eagles etc. The only time they go near the females is when they want to mate...after shagging, they find their levels. cheesy

The male species of animals that tend to stay close to their female partners are usually weak eg: Penguins, Pigeons, Dolphins etc

Op no add the length of the pennies. Elephant pennies is more than 20 inches in lengnt
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by stanliwise(m): 8:38am On Dec 11, 2018
skales67:

Yes they do. Although they rarely do this because of hunger but konji cos once he kills the cub, the mother of the cub becomes ready to mate again.
yea that right but I don't think there is anything like male alpha. I think it is wolf that has an Alpha in a pack. I think coalition means collection of male lions living together in a large territory
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Greyworld: 8:41am On Dec 11, 2018
No body has said anything about elephants being the first known mammals to experience menopause.
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Ayobami7(m): 8:44am On Dec 11, 2018
Noted
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Candydrops(m): 8:51am On Dec 11, 2018
...and to add to that, elephant avoid red chili pepper plant just as farmers avoid devil's beans during clearing. undecided...and to add to that, elephant avoid red chili pepper plant just as farmers avoid devil's beans during clearing.
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Dudehasnoname: 9:02am On Dec 11, 2018
Your'e wrong, he's right, they frequently do
bluefilm:

It's a lie.

Lions don't practice cannibalism.

Lions only kill the cubs to force their mothers back to mating mode.

Mind you, those cubs he will try to kill are never his.

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Awoleesu(m): 9:06am On Dec 11, 2018
OP your header reads "10 facts... " but you ended on 7!
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Mosco100(m): 9:09am On Dec 11, 2018
cassidy1996:
amazing creature! i keep wondering about creation, Baba GOD you too much.....
Do you know levethian: an animal
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Afonjas: 9:20am On Dec 11, 2018
skales67:

Most strong male animals prefer that bachelor lifestyle. Eg: Elephants, Lions, Eagles etc. The only time they go near the females is when they want to mate...after shagging, they find their levels. cheesy

The male species of animals that tend to stay close to their female partners are usually weak eg: Penguins, Pigeons, Dolphins etc

You lack sense

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by RealOne042: 9:20am On Dec 11, 2018
This your theory is educative. But my fear is that this elephant is capable of swallowing our CBN. I don't trust that governor

Think b4 u quote me
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by mrkia(m): 9:32am On Dec 11, 2018
Newsmero:

lol... maybe the next one will be for snakes
and that will automatically greet the front page.. Lol
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by tziz(m): 9:34am On Dec 11, 2018
@OP, here's one-

The Elephants are huge mammals hence they produce intence body heat and can over heat easily. How do they overcome this?

Their large flappy ears act as a radiator, just like a car radiator. They pump and recycle upto 65 Gallons of blood tru thousands of blood vessels lining their large ears, the blood carry body heat to the ear den the Elephant senses wind movement and faces the wind den extends the ears and the wind blows over them and cool the blood which is den sent back to the entire body. In cases where there's no breeze, the Elephant flaps its ears to cool the blood. This maintains their body temperature. Wonderful animals dey are... smiley

2 Likes

Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by yanabasee(m): 9:47am On Dec 11, 2018
NessaBoo:
Awwwww, I love elephants ehn, they are very social...watching them go around their business is always an incredible moment. Lemme add one for OP.

There is a structured social order in an elephant’s lifestyle...the females spend their entire lives in tight family groups made up of mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters and daughters, the eldest female normally leads the group while the adult males prefer to live a bachelor lifestyle.

How did you come up with this submission?? Have you dated one before??

Joking oh!!
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by oloriooko(m): 10:07am On Dec 11, 2018
Newsmero:
1. There are three distinct species of elephant left in the world: The Asian elephant and Africa has the forest and savannah elephant species.

2. The word “elephant” comes from the Greek word “elephas” which means “ivory”.

elephant-calf
3. The elephant’s gestation period is 22 months – longer than any other land animal in the world. A new born human baby weighs an average of 7 pounds while a new born elephant baby can weigh up to 260 pounds! The baby can stand up shortly after being born.

elephant-baby
4. The oldest known elephant in the world lived for 86 years (1917 – 2003). The average lifespan of an elephant is from 50 to 70 years. The largest known elephant was shot in Angola in 1956 and weighed about 24 000 pounds! It had a shoulder height of 3.96 metres!

elephant-bull
5. The tusks of an elephant are modified incisors that grow throughout an elephant’s lifetime. An adult male’s tusks grow about 7 inches a year. Tusks are used to dig for salt, water and roots, to debark trees, to clear a path and occasionally in fights. Additionally, they are used for marking trees to establish an elephant’s territory.

elephant-face
6. The elephant’s trunk is a fusion of its nose and upper lip. It is the elephant’s most important limb. The trunk is sensitive enough to pick up a blade of grass and strong enough to rip the branches off a tree. The trunk is also used for drinking – the elephant can suck up to 14 litres of water at a time and then blow it straight into its mouth!

When bathing, the elephant sucks water to spray on its body. It will then spray dirt and mud on its wet coat, which will dry and act as sunscreen.

elephant-trunk
7. Elephants have two gaits – a walk and a faster gait that is similar to running. They cannot jump, trot or gallop, however they can swim and use their trunk as a snorkel.

elephant-herd

see more

http://gallantmero.com.ng/index.php?u=/topic/42/10%20facts%20about%20elephants%20you%20never%20knew
OP you forgot to add that elephants have very good memory and can travel thousands of kilometer to navigate their way to water holes and they can retain faces of people for good deed or bad ones.
That biggest elephant is shockingly enormous thats intimidating
Thanks for the info
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by NessaBoo(f): 10:08am On Dec 11, 2018
yanabasee:

How did you come up with this submission?? Have you dated one before??

Joking oh!!

Lmao! You're not serious... Date elephant kwa!! Hahahaha

Its just a fact I've known for eons now! I've always been fascinated about animals and elephants happen to be my favorite, right after penguins!
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by yanabasee(m): 10:23am On Dec 11, 2018
NessaBoo:

Lmao! You're not serious... Date elephant kwa!! Hahahaha

Its just a fact I've known for eons now! I've always been fascinated about animals and elephants happen to be my favorite, right after penguins!

Likewise, I think we've got a lot in common...... Where are you from and currently based??
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by ceetowl: 11:26am On Dec 11, 2018
They can also detect water from miles which also cause there mass migration during dry season

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by ALIVE15: 12:51pm On Dec 11, 2018
Elephant are highly emotional. They mourn their dead ones.
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by lonelydora: 1:56pm On Dec 11, 2018
19grigri:

Nah bruh
Dolphins beat em on this one

Yea.
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Macon1212: 3:26pm On Dec 11, 2018
Unique animal, largest land animal, they talk to one another, United when in caravan, care for one another, and can never miss their route when in transit.
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by jideflows(m): 8:20pm On Dec 11, 2018
I went to a zoo or let me say wildlife park in Bangalore India and saw an elephant of 90 something years guess the tour guide said a hundred so pls check your facts right..
Re: 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew by Bamz(m): 5:17pm On Dec 12, 2018
wintersnow:
My dad bought an elephant for me as a pet when I was much younger.. Miss you dovi cry

undecided Oniro

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EBSU Graduate Shot Dead By Suspected Cultists In The School(graphics photo) / Anyi Obi, One Of The Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria (pic) / Covenant University Installs Cameras In Classrooms (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.