Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,431 members, 7,812,278 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired (9965 Views)

I’m Tired Of Farm Work, Federal University Student Cries Out To FG And ASUU Over / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? / I’m Tired Of Eating Human Meat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by adebuk47(m): 1:05am On Dec 11, 2018
An apostrophe performs several functions in English language. It can show possession, as we have in This is the tailor’s house, telling us whose house it is. Often, when a noun is singular, the apostrophe comes before the s (tailor’s); but when it is plural, it comes after it, as we have in The tailors’ cars are wrongly parked. Another example is, “They have replaced the boys’ chairs.”

One other major function of an apostrophe is that it shows that letters and numbers have been omitted in certain expressions. This is what obtains in isn’t, don’t and didn’t. Some of the terms usually so contracted are, however, too intriguing to handle for many of us. We are focusing on such today.

What do you think about the following statements?

Am 30 years old.

A’m 30 years old.

I’am 30 years old.

I’m 30 years’ old.

I’m 30 years old.

Of all the five, it is only one that is correct. That is the last: I’m 30 years old. In the clause, the use of the apostrophe between I and am shows that a letter has been omitted; that omitted item is the a before m in am. Unfortunately, this is often confused with Am, when people say Am here. This is a wrong expression that you should shun whether in conventional writing or social media conversation.

Using Am instead of ‘I’m’ implies that you do not understand the principle behind the shortening of the original expression. In Am, you are not properly indicating the letter omitted. It is not I that is omitted, it is the a in am. So, the apostrophe is used to bring I and m together:

I am tired. (Correct)

Am tired. (Wrong)

I’m tired. (Correct)

Between his and he’s

Using his and he’s can also be problematic. The first – his – is a pronoun, a possessive pronoun that does not require an apostrophe, as we rightly have in This is his car, meaning the car belongs to him and not to any other person. You need not add any other item to this, just as you do not add an apostrophe to her, their, its and my. Or would you feel comfortable saying or writing, This is her’s house?

On the other hand, he’s comes with an apostrophe because there is an omission. The i before s (is) is deliberately thrown out. To indicate this, an apostrophe is needed:

He is trying to repair the table. (Correct)

He’s trying to repair the table. (Correct)

His trying to repair the table. (Wrong)

His trying to repair the table is ridiculous. (Correct)

Also, note that ‘he’s’ can also mean ‘he has’, depending on the context:

He has gone. (Correct)

He’s gone. (Correct)

Similarly, she’s and it’s’ can work with both the present tense and present participle:

She is here. (Correct)

She’s here. (Correct)

She has arrived. (Correct)

She’s arrived. (Correct)

It is here (Correct)

It’s here. (Correct)

It has finished.

It’s finished. (Correct)

Of course, ‘she’d’ can also mean ‘she had’ and ‘she would’:

She had gone before the policeman arrived. (Correct)

She’d gone before the policemen arrived. (Correct)

I thought she would sign the memo before leaving. (Correct)

I thought she’d sign the memo before leaving. (Correct)

source:https://thebiggestgists..com/2018/12/difference-between-am-tired-and-im-tired.html

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by godfatherx: 1:36am On Dec 11, 2018
My guy you go tire o, the way people use am I place of I'm with careless disregard, especially on social media makes one begin to wonder if I from another clime. This is one blunder I just can't unsee. It's too common, I bet some may even come argue with you on this thread about it's correctness.
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by Ifedinho08(m): 6:00am On Dec 11, 2018
Nice one

adebuk47:
An apostrophe performs several functions in English language. It can show possession, as we have in This is the tailor’s house, telling us whose house it is. Often, when a noun is singular, the apostrophe comes before the s (tailor’s); but when it is plural, it comes after it, as we have in The tailors’ cars are wrongly parked. Another example is, “They have replaced the boys’ chairs.”

One other major function of an apostrophe is that it shows that letters and numbers have been omitted in certain expressions. This is what obtains in isn’t, don’t and didn’t. Some of the terms usually so contracted are, however, too intriguing to handle for many of us. We are focusing on such today.

Am 30 years old.

A’m 30 years old.

I’am 30 years old.

I’m 30 years’ old.

I’m 30 years old.

Of all the five, it is only one that is correct. That is the last: I’m 30 years old. In the clause, the use of the apostrophe between I and am shows that a letter has been omitted; that omitted item is the a before m in am. Unfortunately, this is often confused with Am, when people say Am here. This is a wrong expression that you should shun whether in conventional writing or social media conversation.

Using Am instead of ‘I’m’ implies that you do not understand the principle behind the shortening of the original expression. In Am, you are not properly indicating the letter omitted. It is not I that is omitted, it is the a in am. So, the apostrophe is used to bring I and m together:

I am tired. (Correct)

Am tired. (Wrong)

I’m tired. (Correct)

Between his and he’s

Using his and he’s can also be problematic. The first – his – is a pronoun, a possessive pronoun that does not require an apostrophe, as we rightly have in This is his car, meaning the car belongs to him and not to any other person. You need not add any other item to this, just as you do not add an apostrophe to her, their, its and my. Or would you feel comfortable saying or writing, This is her’s house?

On the other hand, he’s comes with an apostrophe because there is an omission. The i before s (is) is deliberately thrown out. To indicate this, an apostrophe is needed:

He has gone. (Correct)

He’s gone. (Correct)

Similarly, she’s and it’s’ can work with both the present tense and present participle:

She is here. (Correct)

She’s here. (Correct)

She’s arrived. (Correct)

It is here (Correct)

It’s here. (Correct)

It has finished.

It’s finished. (Correct)

source:https://thebiggestgists..com/2018/12/difference-between-am-tired-and-im-tired.html
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by Pussyisfood: 6:05am On Dec 11, 2018
It bothers me that over 50% of the people on my Facebook friends list and here on nairaland use am instead of I'm. What is more ridiculous is that if you try to correct them, they'll tell you that English isn't their mother tongue. What's even more ridiculous is that most of these people speak more English than any other language. Then why not speak or write it well? Ruwanda changed it's national language from French to English within the last decade if I'm not mistaken, and they speak better English on an average than most Nigerians who may have been speaking it for decades and some for scores.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by ratioxyz: 6:56am On Dec 11, 2018
It isn't a small something o
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by projectreserve2: 7:01am On Dec 11, 2018
Download Free Research Project Topics & Materials Online.
Click on the link in my Signature to visit website Now!
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by lereinter(m): 7:35am On Dec 11, 2018
Did u copy punch without acknowledging them

While also referring to your blog

If so this is criminal

https://punchng.com/between-am-tired-and-im-tired/
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by Ayobami7(m): 7:37am On Dec 11, 2018
Noted
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by mercy073: 7:57am On Dec 11, 2018
Get ur laptop and accessories at cheaper rate

1 Share

Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by falcon01: 8:21am On Dec 11, 2018
Guess what?? No body will tell the difference if you have manneeyy! *in peter griffins voice*
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by falcon01: 8:23am On Dec 11, 2018
N
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by nwaobitex: 8:54am On Dec 11, 2018
The blunder is mostly common with Nigerians on social media.
One guy said that's how to spot a Nigerian
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by Yabamadman: 8:58am On Dec 11, 2018
nice one... most of u dumb ppl here will be doing as if u guys knw this before meanwhile ur English is as dirty as ur boxers
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 11, 2018
godfatherx:
My guy you go tire o, the way people use "am" in place of "I'm" with careless disregard, especially on social media, makes one begin to wonder if "I'm" from another clime. This is one blunder I just can't unsee. It's too common. I bet some may even come and argue with you on this thread about its correctness.

Last last, we are all just lazy youths. Either too lazy to care, or too ignorant to spell.
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by oyisy: 10:06am On Dec 11, 2018
i'm enlightened.
adebuk47:

Am 30 years old.

A’m 30 years old.

I’am 30 years old.

I’m 30 years’ old.

I’m 30 years old.

I am tired. (Correct)

Am tired. (Wrong)

I’m tired. (Correct)

Between his and he’s

He has gone. (Correct)

He’s gone. (Correct)

She is here. (Correct)

She’s here. (Correct)

She’s arrived. (Correct)

It is here (Correct)

It’s here. (Correct)

It has finished.

It’s finished. (Correct)

Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by eaddyboy: 10:54am On Dec 11, 2018
Nice one OP
The blunders I see especially on social media is alarming
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by techking: 11:22am On Dec 11, 2018
Ok oo i don hear
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by Dboy55(m): 11:36am On Dec 11, 2018
adebuk47:

Am 30 years old.

A’m 30 years old.

I’am 30 years old.

I’m 30 years’ old.

I’m 30 years old.

I am tired. (Correct)

Am tired. (Wrong)

I’m tired. (Correct)

Between his and he’s

He has gone. (Correct)

He’s gone. (Correct)

She is here. (Correct)

She’s here. (Correct)

She’s arrived. (Correct)

It is here (Correct)

It’s here. (Correct)

It has finished.

It’s finished. (Correct)

Nice one ok,
I'm enlightened
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by godfatherx: 11:52am On Dec 11, 2018
mulante:

Last last, we are all just lazy youths. Either too lazy to care, or too ignorant to spell.

I agree with you
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by UncleSnr(m): 12:09pm On Dec 11, 2018
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 11, 2018
grin grin
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by keryj(f): 5:02pm On Dec 11, 2018
Nice one op. Have learnt something.

My friend @Grammarnazi1 your attention is needed ooo
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by keryj(f): 5:04pm On Dec 11, 2018
eaddyboy:
Nice one OP

The blunders I see especially on social media is alarming

Don't you ever make mIstakes? If you do, forget the blunders you see everyday. Not everyone have same opportunity you had t learn or just simply correct
Re: Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired by eaddyboy: 9:13pm On Dec 11, 2018
keryj:

Don't you ever make mIstakes? If you do, forget the blunders you see everyday. Not everyone have same opportunity you had t learn or just simply correct

Yeah, No one is perfect, I know that but certain people ought to grow above making basic blunders that most primary school pupil wouldn't make..in as much as we learn everyday we shouldn't repeat the mistakes of yesterday.

(1) (Reply)

Goverment(general Knowledge/current Affairs Et Cetera / Nigeria To Establish Aviation University / Help!!!!!! Waec :no Result For This Candidate In Specified Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.