Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,747 members, 7,802,285 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Has Emigration Solved Our Problem? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Has Emigration Solved Our Problem? (4942 Views)

Bermuda Traiangle Mystery Finally Solved? / Solved / My Greatest Travel Fears And How I Solved Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Emigration Solved Our Problem? by sbucareer(f): 1:21pm On Jan 09, 2006
1. Why do we immigrate?
2. What economic attainment has it brought to Nigeria?
3. Must we learn a lesson?
4. Immigration, is it another way of slavery?
5. Why don't we go home after education like the Chinese and Indians to empower their people (If you claim you immigrated for studies)
6. What legacy or impart does this have on our children?
8. Advantage/Disadvantage of immigration
Re: Has Emigration Solved Our Problem? by omon(m): 3:25pm On Jan 10, 2006
Are you talking of emmigration from Nigeria?
Re: Has Emigration Solved Our Problem? by sbucareer(f): 4:59pm On Jan 10, 2006
omon, thanks for the correction. Emigration.
Re: Has Emigration Solved Our Problem? by egus(m): 7:49pm On Jan 10, 2006
Quite an interesting topic. I have some views on some of ur questions. I guess the reasons for emigration today are quite clear; political,economic etc. The economic attainment of this is that due to the money sent by families abroad, a middle class set of Nigerians have emerged. One clear impact it has on children is what experts have termed identity conflicts because the society will always see them as 2nd,3rd,4th generation of immigrants even by being born in that country.
Re: Has Emigration Solved Our Problem? by Kokscity(m): 9:16pm On Jan 10, 2006
Sbucareer

Nigerians generally do not have a strong sense of Patriotism anymore, so when you talk of emigration it is a matter of personal choice. Trust me Indians and Chinese Emigrate in larger numbers than Nigerians do and many even claim citizenship in places you would not imagine and never go back.

Well i left because i had the opportunity to leave,and i am not sorry that i left and i have been back many times and everytime i come back i validate why i left. And if u ask me i would encourage people to leave for better place in this Globe.

My reasons for emigration includes economic, education and simply to leave a better life than i had in Nigeria. It worked out well for me, i am not sure if everyone will be that lucky, but darned it they should at least try.............
Re: Has Emigration Solved Our Problem? by ijebuman(m): 4:50pm On Jan 11, 2006
Kokscity:

Nigerians generally do not have a strong sense of Patriotism anymore

I find that statement quite surprising (coming from you) wink
Re: Has Emigration Solved Our Problem? by oasis: 10:02pm On Jan 16, 2006
1. Why do we immigrate?

For a better standard of living.  This is true because Nigerians always aspire to emigrate to countries that are better economically than Nigeria, not to poor countries.

2. What economic attainment has it brought to Nigeria?

A typical Nigerian abroad can easily sponsor several relatives in school.  Something he/she probably couldn't do living in Nigeria.  Furthermore, educated people are always a good thing for the economy in the long run.  So by helping educate more Nigerians, a Nigerian abroad is contributing economically.

3. Must we learn a lesson?

Can you elucidate that point?

4. Immigration, is it another way of slavery?

Is a lack of emigration a form of self-enslavement? Nigeria is not exactly paradise on earth, is it?

5. Why don't we go home after education like the Chinese and Indians to empower their people (If you claim you immigrated for studies)

A typical US Medical Doctor graduates with a debt of about $100,000.  How is he going to pay that off working in Nigeria?

A banker is used to everything being highly computerised.  Do you expect him to now work in a Nigerian bank with no computers?

Skills acquired by say, a cisco CCIE may not be useful in Nigeria, since we don't have such WAN networking requirements yet.

In general, good education today attracts a salary of about $40K in the US.  A doctor, or CCIE could earn as much as $250K a year.  Think of it logically, is it better to earn this much abroad, or take a serious pay-cut working in Nigeria?

6. What legacy or impart does this have on our children?

Your children grow up having better opportunities in life than their Nigerian counterparts.
Unfortunaly, they also lose the typical African camaraderie instilled in us growing up.  That is the difference between an African and an African-American.

8. Advantage/Disadvantage of immigration

Advantages: all of the above.
Disadvantages: brain-drain in Nigeria, second-class citizens abroad, ...

The whole Nigerian environment is hostile toward business development.  You basically have to bribe your way through every thing.  Telecommuncations is poor, healthcare, our reputation abroad, R&grin, low-standard of living, roads, power supply, etc, all poor.  These things are the duty of the government.  And until the government wakes up and addresse these problems, there is very little a foreign-trained Nigerian can do to make things better at home besides offer financial help from his overseas post.

Finally, let me say that emigration is not unique to Nigerians.  Millions from other countries come to the USA and never return home.  All for the same reason that they can take better care of their people back home that way.  Latinos for example swim across treacherous rivers, or walk dangerous deserts everyday to cross the US border.  Many of them never make it, and either drown or die of dehydration.

There is an estimated 28 million Mexicans living in America today.

(1) (Reply)

Visiting Abraka / Can I Use 1million Naira To Secure Travel Documents And Visa to U.S.A / Should I Come Back To This Hopeless Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.