Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? (17518 Views)

Did PDP Pay N95m For Campaign Venue In Rivers? - Fact Check / Did PDP Dodge A Bullet By Not Fielding Wike As VP. / Zamfara Supreme Court Judgement: Did PDP Meet The Constitutional Requirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 14, 2018
Pulse has been asking questions about the alleged freeze of Peter Obi's bank accounts as told by the PDP. This is what we found out so far.

On Saturday, December 8, 2018, spokesperson of the opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and Director, Media and Publicity of the PDP Presidential Campaign Council, Kola Ologbondiyan, announced to the world that an unnamed anti-graft agency had frozen the bank accounts of PDP presidential running mate in the 2019 elections, Peter Obi.
“All discerning Nigerians know that the reasons for an investigation on a man like Peter Obi, is a journey to nowhere aimed to stifle him of funds as well as attempt to distract our campaign and divert attention from the failures of the Buhari administration”, Ologbondiyan wrote in a widely circulated press statement.
The statement added that: “It is ludicrous that President Buhari would continue to condone the looting of our treasuries by his party leaders and the cabal in his presidency, which even, the First Lady had even alluded to, only to be using government agencies to attempt to blackmail our presidential and vice presidential candidates whose reputations stand clear before all Nigerians”.

Fake news?
The story about the freeze on Obi’s accounts by the Buhari led federal government immediately went viral, with foreign news outlets and wire services latching onto it within minutes.

However, Pulse can report that the claim from the PDP may just be fake news.

Tony Orilade, spokesperson for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the anti-graft agency tasked with the responsibility of stemming illicit financial flows and placing a lid on accounts suspected of housing proceeds of corruption, told Premium Times that his agency is not responsible for the freeze.

“There is nowhere the EFCC is mentioned in this statement. The EFCC is a law abiding agency and committed to ridding the nation of economic and financial crimes. That, we would not relent to do.

But let nobody cry wolf where none exists. Please direct your question to the author of the statement; and please let us not speak in parables. And let the media not interpret out of context,”Orilade was quoted as saying.

Rasheedat Okoduwa, spokesperson of the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC), also told Premium Times that the agency wasn’t involved in the freeze of Obi’s bank accounts. Which begs the question: who was?

While working on this story, Pulse reached out to PDP spokesperson Ologbondiyan, but his phone rang repeatedly with no one picking up on the other end of the line. A text message sent his way had also not been replied before this story was published.

Pulse also rang the mobile of Obi, but he wasn’t available to pick up his phone as well, several attempts after. A call placed to the mobile of acting EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu, returned with the familiar "phone number is switched off" voice message.
It’s been 72 hours since the PDP claimed Obi’s bank accounts have been frozen. Obi has issued no statement to corroborate his party’s version of events in that span and no one has been able to reach him. Politicians whose bank accounts have been illegally frozen, are never this quiet. Ask Fayose.

And Obi is not one to go quiet in the face of perceived injustice.

Conclusion
With no evidence from the anti-graft agencies or from Obi’s camp to back up the freezing of accounts claim as put forward by the PDP, Pulse submits that the story should be treated as a fabrication at this time and dismissed as just another election season propaganda.

https://www.pulse.ng/news/politics/peter-obi-did-pdp-lie-about-freezing-of-bank-accounts-id9185557.html

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by nwakibie3(m): 11:15am On Dec 14, 2018
FTC again grin grin

4 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by AntiWailer: 11:15am On Dec 14, 2018
Criminals and liars.

64 Likes 11 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by sirdonbright: 11:15am On Dec 14, 2018
ok
Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Jothamthompson: 11:16am On Dec 14, 2018
The H in Nigeria stands for Hope

6 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by globemoney01: 11:16am On Dec 14, 2018
No comment before peter obi zombie supporters will cry in my mentions cheesy cheesy

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by festacman(m): 11:17am On Dec 14, 2018
Of course, it is a brazen lie from PDP lie factory. They are manufacturing more.

Meanwhile ...

My dear Atiku, Obi, Reno, Common sense senator and co. Where is that document you spent forever and scarce forex cooking in Dubai? Why all those selfies, poses, denges and initial gra gra?

I bet you have nothing to offer.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by JohnViruxz: 11:17am On Dec 14, 2018
what the HELL is even happening in Nigeria.

i'm out of Nigeria, Imo, here i come.

3 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by tesppidd: 11:18am On Dec 14, 2018
I just hate that thing called PDP.

If I see PDP and I see a snake, I would kill PDP before I face the snake.

Because of PDP none of the names of my kids will have the letters "P" and "D."

Useless party!!

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Denikayan: 11:18am On Dec 14, 2018
Obi the tribal bigot always looking for excuses to lie

Am just happy he is running along side a biggest loser

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Nigeriabiafra80: 11:18am On Dec 14, 2018
Op and stupidity, so you think freezing of account is what obi will lie for
Efcc have done worse things than this and will still do worst so stop asking stupid questions, efcc drew back when the heat was glaring and back lashes from nigerians
So if u are paid to come defend efcc, u just stumbled go and eat your 30k in peace
This is stall
Olodo

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by four4: 11:19am On Dec 14, 2018
This was the same kind of card play during Osun election, well waitin concern me, almost all Nigeria politicians are all same, political party they belong is the only different btw them

6 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by DonEwexco(m): 11:19am On Dec 14, 2018
Noted
Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by SingleWahala(f): 11:19am On Dec 14, 2018
grin...... TWEETER BRUCE LEE OVER TO YOU grin grin grin

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by sureheaven(m): 11:19am On Dec 14, 2018
EFCC didn't freeze obi's account, it was a fake news propagated by PDP.

PDP said same thing duirng osun poll that EFCC had frozen all adeleke's account but at the end it was all lies and fake news.

The surest thing is that pdp will lose come 2019 just as they lost in osun, ekiti and other election in the past.

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by ameh99: 11:19am On Dec 14, 2018
Why the lie...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by tesppidd: 11:19am On Dec 14, 2018
Jothamthompson:
The H in Nigeria stands for Hope
grin

In order words there is no hope for Nigeria!

Savage!

1 Like

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Gidah: 11:19am On Dec 14, 2018
I just tire for Nigeria matter any small thing Buhari this Buhari that, if swear dey kill rich man as e dey do for poor people Buhari go don die tgriway Tane Tane. But my people why swear or other things no dey quick catch rich people?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Egbo2015: 11:19am On Dec 14, 2018
True Talk! It was a fake news generated by People Decieving People(PDP).

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by sinbadd: 11:20am On Dec 14, 2018
no wahala. At least he's not a clone
Denikayan:
Obi the tribal bigot always looking for excuses to lie

Am just happy he is running along side a biggest loser

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Abdul9025(m): 11:20am On Dec 14, 2018
everything is fake in Both PDP and APC...

PMB all the way

1 Like

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Chiefpriest1(m): 11:21am On Dec 14, 2018
I am more concerned that this so-called pulse would lift a story from Premium Times and give wants to make us believe that it's Pulse that did the investigation.

That in itself is a crime. You are stealing someone else's intellectual property and giving yourself the credit for it.

You are fact checking someone else, whereas you are the one who should be fact-checked.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by SingleWahala(f): 11:21am On Dec 14, 2018
grin grin

3 Likes

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Metuh: 11:22am On Dec 14, 2018
APC ZOMBIES and lies sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by Tecks10: 11:22am On Dec 14, 2018
cry
Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by haladadon: 11:22am On Dec 14, 2018
una dey shout fake news then give us proofs that EFCC did not freeze the account.

1 Like

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by adem30: 11:23am On Dec 14, 2018
sureheaven:
EFCC didn't freeze obi's account, it was a fake news propagated by PDP.

PDP said same thing duirng osun poll that EFCC had frozen all adeleke's account but at the end it was all lies and fake news.

The surest thing is that pdp will lose come 2019 just as they lost in osun, ekiti and other election in the past.

They do that because they knew their senseless gullible will swallow every rubbish they put online for them

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FACT CHECK: Did PDP Lie About The Freeze Of Peter Obi's Bank Accounts? by quickberry(m): 11:23am On Dec 14, 2018
grin

What do u expect from party of rogues and criminals?

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Campaigns In Nasarawa Local Government, Kano (Photos) / Nsima Ekere’s Witnesses Frustrate APC Chances At Tribunal / My Wives And Children Won't Be Part Of Governance – Kano Governor-Elect, Yusuf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.