Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,579 members, 7,820,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out (25249 Views)

Lists Of Figures Of Speech 1 / How Many Figures Of Speech Can You Get Out Of This Picture?? / Figures Of Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by MissJoy29(f): 9:27pm On Dec 28, 2018
AryEmber:
Lemme try. Micheal's toad eye is oxymoron. Little sun can see, personification.... that's all I can guess on
Can't be!
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by mrkings84(m): 9:57pm On Dec 28, 2018
Am seein all these fos for the first time.... shocked
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 10:23pm On Dec 28, 2018
TheWritingHub:

She's right on 4, for the fact that one sentence can employ more than one figure of speech.

5 is not a similie. The presence of like in the sentence doesn't make it one. It can be an oxymoron, but only if the original figure of speech used is gotten. So it's not necessarily an oxymoron.

6 looks like an euphemism, but it's essentially another figure of speech that employed euphemism to achieve it's aim.

4 is antithesis. There is sharp contrast between Oxymoron and antithesis.
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by ayesco202(m): 10:46pm On Dec 28, 2018
TheWritingHub:
In the write-up below, I decided to play with figures of speech.

In it, are different figures of speech (FOG). There are: antithesis, synecdoche, metaphor, metonym, oxymoron, metalepsis, personification, polysemy and homonym.

So can you point these FOGs out from the write-up? Oya, give it a try.

Ukaay: Is there anything bigger than Michael's toad eyes?

Ellikot: Such eyes would be more conspicuous than Lai Mohammed's lies.

Ukaay: You need to lie flatly not to see such.

Ellikot: We know it's possible to have eyes and be blind.

Ukaay: Like having a heart, yet dead.

Ellikot: Even with such eyes, he still gets hurt from kicking the bucket.

Ukaay: He had big eyes and cannot see: yet what we see as the little Sun can see.

1. Rhetorical question, metaphor, hyperbole
2. Sarcasm, pun, assonance, hyperbole
3. Pun, sarcasm
4. Antithesis, paradox
5. Oxymoron
6. Polisemy
7. Paradox, antithesis, pun, alliteration, personification
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by jflexy(m): 12:16am On Dec 29, 2018
I think 1 is an over statement which is called hyperbole
Micheal's toad eye, the size of his eye was over exaggerated
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by izuch(m): 4:45am On Dec 29, 2018
ClearFlair:

Ellikot: Such eyes would be more conspicuous than Atiku's lies.

Your write-up is more realistic now.

"...as corrupt as an Atiku."

What figure of speech is that?

Future impossible tense wink
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by StankovicEgeni(m): 8:43am On Dec 29, 2018
Is there anything bigger than Michael's toad eyes? rhetorical question
Ellikot: Such eyes would be more conspicuous than Lai Mohammed's lies. Assonance
Ukaay: You need to lie flatly not to see such. Sarcasm
Ellikot: We know it's possible to have eyes and be blind. paradox
Ukaay: Like having a heart, yet dead. Antithesis
Ellikot: Even with such eyes, he still gets hurt from kicking the bucket. euphemism
Ukaay: He had big eyes and cannot see: yet what we see as the little Sun can see.Irony/paradox/ Pathetic fallacy
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by labelle123(f): 11:19am On Dec 29, 2018
iko123:
Some stupid senior students started smoking since sixteen sixty six. Who can tell me the figure of speech?
. Alliteration

1 Like

Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by MvpSplendor: 5:33pm On Dec 29, 2018
Focusmind:

Typical Nigerian Youth - always impatient to learn and read

For your mind now, you dey Focused?! angry undecided
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Ayobami7(m): 1:39pm On Dec 30, 2018
好的
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by TheWritingHub(m): 1:48pm On Feb 01, 2019
Hello, beautiful writers.

At the start of the year, I started the writing and editing service platform, The Writing Hub.

I have been writing and publishing professionally since 2013, but this year, I decided to have a platform that will project the service further.

Also, I want to create a platform for writers to share their works and reach a wider audience.

That's why I'm asking you to be part of Writing Hub. We have a growing Facebook page you can share your work and reach a wider audience.

We have plans for a website, blog, Instagram and Twitter pages soon. But first, we need writers willing to provide content.
To be part, please drop your no, and I will add you to a WhatsApp group where we'd discuss our plans.

Or you can PM me at 08164041005
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by xoxocandy(f): 8:36am On Feb 02, 2019
TheWritingHub:
In the write-up below, I decided to play with figures of speech.

In it, are different figures of speech (FOG). There are: antithesis, synecdoche, metaphor, metonym, oxymoron, metalepsis, personification, polysemy and homonym.

So can you point these FOGs out from the write-up? Oya, give it a try.

Ukaay: Is there anything bigger than Michael's toad eyes?

Ellikot: Such eyes would be more conspicuous than Lai Mohammed's lies.

Ukaay: You need to lie flatly not to see such.

Ellikot: We know it's possible to have eyes and be blind.

Ukaay: Like having a heart, yet dead.

Ellikot: Even with such eyes, he still gets hurt from kicking the bucket.

Ukaay: He had big eyes and cannot see: yet what we see as the little Sun can see.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

18+ My New Compound Chronicle With Mama Abi / Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young / JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.