Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,282 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo (23342 Views)

EndSARS: Omokri’s Petition Against Buhari Removed From Website / Onnoghen: Buhari Removed Me As CJN Because Of Atiku / Throwback: Why Atiku Will Lose The Core North - OPINION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 15, 2018
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has finally broken his silence on the controversy currently trailing the removal of subsidy from fuel.

Nigerians have been lamenting following the announcement of the deregulation of the oil sector, which jerked the price of the product from N86 to N145 per litre.

Reacting to the development, the Vice President stated that the best thing that could happen to the nation was the bold step taken by the President to remove subsidy from the product.

In a statement issued on Friday, Osinbajo explained why the presidency decided to take the ‘harsh’ decision, which would eventually benefit Nigerians.

His statement reads in full:

“I have read the various observations about the fuel pricing regime and the attendant issues generated. All certainly have strong points.

“The most important issue of course is how to shield the poor from the worst effects of the policy. I will hopefully address that in another note.

“Permit me an explanation of the policy. First, the real issue is not a removal of subsidy. At $40 a barrel there isn’t much of a subsidy to remove.

“In any event, the President is probably one of the most convinced pro-subsidy advocates.

“What happened is as follows: our local consumption of fuel is almost entirely imported. The NNPC exchanges crude from its joint venture share to provide about 50% of local fuel consumption. The remaining 50% is imported by major and independent marketers.

“These marketers up until three months ago sourced their foreign exchange from the Central Bank of Nigeria at the official rate. However, since late last year, independent marketers have brought in little or no fuel because they have been unable to get foreign exchange from the CBN.

“The CBN simply did not have enough. (In April, oil earnings dipped to $550 million. The amount required for fuel importation alone is about $225million!).

“Meanwhile, NNPC tried to cover the 50% shortfall by dedicating more export crude for domestic consumption. Besides the short term depletion of the Federation Account, which is where the FG and States are paid from, and further cash-call debts pilling up, NNPC also lacked the capacity to distribute 100% of local consumption around the country. Previously, they were responsible for only about 50%. (Partly the reason for the lingering scarcity).

“We realised that we were left with only one option. This was to allow independent marketers and any Nigerian entity to source their own foreign exchange and import fuel. We expect that foreign exchange will be sourced at an average of about N285 to the dollar, (current interbank rate). They would then be restricted to selling at a price between N135 and N145 per litre.

“We expect that with competition, more private refineries, and NNPC refineries working at full capacity, prices will drop considerably. Our target is that by Q4 2018 we should be producing 70% of our fuel needs locally. At the moment even if all the refineries are working optimally they will produce just about 40% of our domestic fuel needs.

“You will notice that I have not mentioned other details of the PPRA cost template. I wanted to focus on the cost component largely responsible for the substantial rise, namely foreign exchange. This is therefore not a subsidy removal issue but a foreign exchange problem, in the face of dwindling earnings.”

https://www.google.com/amp/dailypost.ng/2016/05/13/why-buhari-removed-fuel-subsidy-osinbajo/amp/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Asshurbanipal: 1:35pm On Dec 15, 2018
And they are busy fact checking on obi alone. It is good that obi beat the dwarf pastor in his lying game

137 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 15, 2018
This short dwarf of a pastor need to apologise to goodluck Jonathan and all Nigerians

132 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 15, 2018
grin grin grin lai Mohammed forgot to teach osibanjo how to lie wella

162 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Iwillbegreat: 1:43pm On Dec 15, 2018
cheesy pastor pastor, I thought you guys will remove subsidy when get elected?

142 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Diiet: 1:43pm On Dec 15, 2018
Lol .

some idiots want to kill themselves because of prof Osinbajo the future president.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Binikingdowm: 1:46pm On Dec 15, 2018
Diiet:
Lol .

some idiots want to kill themselves because of prof Osinbajo the future president.
grin future ke?

50 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Diiet: 1:48pm On Dec 15, 2018
Binikingdowm:
grin future ke?
You don't know yet that someday he'll rule this country?
Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Biglittlelois(f): 2:06pm On Dec 15, 2018
Edodefender:

“Permit me an explanation of the policy. First, the real issue is not a removal of subsidy. At $40 a barrel there isn’t much of a subsidy to remove.

“You will notice that I have not mentioned other details of the PPRA cost template. I wanted to focus on the cost component largely responsible for the substantial rise, namely foreign exchange. This is therefore not a subsidy removal issue but a foreign exchange problem, in the face of dwindling......

For zombies that cant read especially Diiet above, that is the summary of what your V.P said about subsidy, it was NEVER removed cos there was NOTHING to remove according to him, all other things he said was rubbish, refering to NNPC as a third party when we all know NNPC is Federal Government owned, bunch of liars.

Vote wisely people.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by AllCandytv: 2:07pm On Dec 15, 2018
Hmm baba buhari reduce am now again na

So sad check it

Lady Murders Neighbor’s 2-Yr-Old Child To Punish His Dad

https://candytv.ng/lady-murders-neighbors-2-yr-old-child-to-punish-his-dad/
Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Bossontop(m): 2:07pm On Dec 15, 2018
undecided undecided undecided
How many times this government wan comot subsidy sef??....becos i'm nor understanding again!!

[img]https://media./images/b4d18661ac5778f14dca54c889030ab4/tenor.gif[/img]

103 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Zico5(m): 2:07pm On Dec 15, 2018
The only thing this deluded mind failed to tell us is what subsidy money removed is used for. Upon removal of subsidy things are still difficult for common man. Probably what was removed is partial subsidy as stated by petroleum minister. The bigger one will be a surprised package for new year. With subsidy and corruption, Gej built 14 universities, now with Mr integrity nothing to show even with removal of subsidy. All of u will surely rot in hell.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by kolnel: 2:08pm On Dec 15, 2018
Removal of subsidy is the best way to go
But what happened to our refineries
3 years is enough time to have a good refinery in place

We want to see the progress made

5 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by mytime24(f): 2:08pm On Dec 15, 2018
Who go dash me dis kind flower tongue

2 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Bannylove13: 2:08pm On Dec 15, 2018
Osibanjo na professor of lies.
That's all.

13 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by mooremoney(m): 2:08pm On Dec 15, 2018
So why did the fuel price increased. useless govt

7 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by kenodrill: 2:08pm On Dec 15, 2018
Biglittlelois:
wow

Babe I know just understand this your "wow" thing o.which level na?
Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Kingosytex(m): 2:08pm On Dec 15, 2018
months, weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds away from february 2019, but one thing is certain buhari/jibrin will be bundled back to daura/sudan as the case may be

12 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by FarahAideed: 2:08pm On Dec 15, 2018
People need to be jailed for this massive subsidy fraud , you make Nigrians pay double for petrol lying that you have removed subsidy and then go ahead to illegally spend 3 times more in in secret unaccountable subsidy payments

19 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Kupaskeybaba(m): 2:09pm On Dec 15, 2018
The only thing APC are good at is deceiving people... they are very perfect in that department

8 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by alawi5k: 2:09pm On Dec 15, 2018
I dey laugh!

1 Like

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by oluwatosink: 2:10pm On Dec 15, 2018
Nice one prof. ( i just love this man)

And i want him to be our president
grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by ednut1(m): 2:13pm On Dec 15, 2018
This pastor is surely fake

1 Like

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by 34webers(m): 2:14pm On Dec 15, 2018
Diiet:
Lol .

God go bless you jawe.
Osinbajo becoming president in 2023, that one na im sure pass. Igbos will be considered in 3097. cool
Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Racoon(m): 2:15pm On Dec 15, 2018
But today;

"Subsidy is good.... The Federal Government cannot remove petroleum subsidy now because of the effect it will have on Nigerians"-Osinbajo

Osinbajo confirmed that APC govt acknowledged there is Subsidy.Meanwhile; "Subsidy is a fraud.Subsidy does not exist." according to Buhari

When the then President Jonathan removed subsidy in 2014 and pronto, the self-serving but myopic APC started the "Occupy Nigeria" protests @ Ojota-Lagos.Karma will continue to deal with you all.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by ZombieTAMER: 2:16pm On Dec 15, 2018
Osibanjo and his goons accused the last administration of crimes that they perpetrate today...

That's the classic case of hypocrisy

10 Likes

Re: Throwback:why Buhari Removed Fuel Subsidy – Osinbajo by Qsscruz(m): 2:16pm On Dec 15, 2018
Anything APC touches turns brain dead..

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan, Not Dasuki Gave Me N400m – Metuh Tells Court / How Will This 8K Favour Me And My Family / Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.