Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns (810 Views)

We Are Disappointed With Nigeria’s 2019 General Elections — US / We’re Compiling Reports On Nigerian Elections – US / US reacts to the postponement of Nigeria General Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by NWFX(m): 5:34pm On Dec 15, 2018
he Nigeria general elections in 2019 is likely going to marred with violence, this according to the United States Government saying it could have significant consequences for the the country and beyond.

This was disclosed on Thursday by the US Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of African Affairs, Tibor Nagy at the US Congress hearing on Nigeria’s coming general elections in 2019.

Ben Murray-Bruce, Senate president, Bukola Saraki, Nnena Ukeje, are some of the dignitaries that attended the event hearing titled, “Nigeria at a Crossroads.

From the event transcript, it was gathered that the US rep believed the violence might be a localised one and not a nation-wide violence.

The upcoming general elections is going to serve as a major test of Nigeria’s young democracy.

“I can tell you from my impressions during my travels and my previous service in Nigeria that I fear there will be some violence around these elections, as has been the case with previous elections.

“I do not anticipate large-scale nation-wide conflict, but rather localised violence.

“We are already seeing increased tensions and polarisation as the election approaches. We assess that politicians are turning to narratives of identity politics in an attempt to improve their popularity, with potentially serious consequences for national unity.

“However, Nigeria’s political system and society have weathered such tensions before.”

Nagy also listed Rivers, Borno, Benue, Kano as potential hotspots and was happy that the major candidates had now signed a peace pact.

“In assessing potential ‘hotspots’ for violence, we look at places that are historically volatile around elections such as Rivers and Borno states.

Read More Here:

http://www.naijaloop.com/there-will-be-violence-in-2019-nigeria-general-elections-us-warns/

Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by Paschalp(m): 5:37pm On Dec 15, 2018
Post election crisis we pray thee

Apc better take the defeat in good faith ooo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by amaniro: 6:06pm On Dec 15, 2018
Every one knows that!

But...

Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by hisexcellency34: 7:04pm On Dec 15, 2018
Ogun kee you there..na you wan bring violence abi?
Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by goodnessme1(f): 7:07pm On Dec 15, 2018
That one concern those that will vote.

As for we in east,no voting.
Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by Optional09: 7:12pm On Dec 15, 2018
Attitudes like Sowores exclusion from debate is enough to burn the entire country down!
Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by Omololu001: 7:22pm On Dec 15, 2018
Optional09:
Attitudes like Sowores exclusion from debate is enough to burn the entire country down!
it was very stupid of BON not to invite all the candidates, it's not compulsory it should be done in a day, it's either all the candidates are invited or there should be no debate at all.

And the south west will be peaceful before, during and after the election, I don't know about other geopolitical regions.

3 Likes

Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by lawman88(m): 7:31pm On Dec 15, 2018
Fulani versus Fulani, it's going to be tougher. If buhari thinks that Atiku will chicken in like Jonathan, he is making mistakes

1 Like

Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by FarahAideed: 7:32pm On Dec 15, 2018
Of course Buhari is prone to using violence to get his way but God will destroy him this time

1 Like

Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by ZombieTAMER: 7:37pm On Dec 15, 2018
goodnessme1:
That one concern those that will vote.
As for we in east,no voting.

Talk for yourself... I know you are typing from oshogbo

Nobody needs your stupid vote and it's not like you have a PVC anyways.... Gerraaout
Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by WilliamsSteve: 7:54pm On Dec 15, 2018
Anybody weh say nah to come cos mass killing, hijacking of ballot boxes 4 any state
nah scrab keke go jam and cripple that person!!!
Re: There Will Be Violence In 2019 Nigeria General Elections – US Warns by Lipscomb(m): 8:00pm On Dec 15, 2018
But why USA always projecting bad things on Africa. This must stop.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking ! 5,000 PDP Members Defect To APC In Edo / Dozens Injured As Buhari Campaign In Borno / PDP Campaign Rally Is Holding Today At The Nest Of Champion Stadium, Uyo Ak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.