Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,005 members, 7,835,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Tribute To Honourable Chief And A Great Legend Of Our Time - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tribute To Honourable Chief And A Great Legend Of Our Time (904 Views)

Brief Of A Great Legend / Man Pays Tribute To His Late Wife Who Died During Childbirth / Korean Lady Known As Mama Adaobi Having A Great Time In Her Husband’s Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tribute To Honourable Chief And A Great Legend Of Our Time by odehme: 8:06pm On Dec 16, 2018
A TRIBUTE OF TRANSITION TO OUR LATE DAD, HONOURABLE CHIEF OBANDE ALPHONSUS ODEH
I have always known how to send condolences to people who have lost their parents but I have never known how it feels to lose one till now. Papa as fondly called by his children will never be seen again. Why? Indeed, we are yet to believe that the root we followed to this world has gone on the journey of no return to the great beyond because any time we visit where your body is laid, seeing your meek and gentle face like that of a new baby, it is hard for us to believe that you have left us and that your body is in preparation to be committed to mother-earth. I was spiritually motivated to write this tribute because of some reasons which include how visitors emotionally praised your virtues and mentioned good things about you.
Though I am a living witness to these virtues and qualities of my late father, but I will like to pinpoint some as mentioned by well-wishers, friends and colleagues during their condolence visits. My Dad’s humble lifestyle evolved right through his family life and decent upbringing; a habit that has accorded him the admiration of many people. Certainly, the exhibition of such simple way of life has earned him not only popularity but also respect and dignity amidst people. As a Teacher, he spent his entire life teaching people. He gave out his very best for the development of education and his people. In addition, he has helped many pupils and students enrolled in Primary, Secondary and Tertiary institutions. Those who benefitted from his magnanimity have already paid us condolence visits during which encomiums had been poured.
Until his death, he was one time a politician. His political sojourn started when he was a pioneer Councilor of old Irabi Council Ward of old Oju Local Government Area. His versatility earned him one of the most strategic portfolios at that time; as the Supervisory Councillor for Education, Health and Social Services. He told me how he contested and won. He also contested for a seat at the Benue State House of Assembly and gallantly won the election overwhelmingly. His contemporaries are Honourable Odeh Omirigbe, and Honourable Elias Ekpiri
Your competence as an intelligent Community and Traditional Leader was seen when you can take care of the tough stuff that may happen to you or the community. Your intelligence was beyond being smart to include high levels of both emotional and social intelligence. Your great interpersonal skills were brought to bear on how you interacted with other members of the community with ease. You had good communication and collaboration skills. We have greatly learnt from your ability to negotiate, mediate, listen to others, and articulate arguments and to work with members external to the community. I will not forget to add how dedicated and forward-thinking you were about the things that concern your community and the entire Igede Nation. You were a visionary leader, your constant thought about the future and setting of sustainable goals by developing your critical thinking skills and involving the younger generations was highly noted and commendable.
He has taught us more than simple about life. He showed us how to really fight and battle adversity and to never back down. He was a very generous man and always willing to help. He was also very wise and you could go to him with any problem. He taught us a lot about hard work, love for friends and family, appreciation for the outdoors and respect for others. He has no quest for worldly things and we the children have imbibed this in ourselves sincerely. He lived an exemplary life worthy of emulation that does not want to hurt anybody. He tried his best and ensured that he lived in peace with his relations, friends, family and the entire community.
Not only was our father gone, but a best friend, a mentor, and our hero. The person who I would come running out to and give breaking news to about politics is no longer there. He spent his last kobo including sacrificing some of his assets just to send us to school.
Papa, our minds still talk to you; our hearts still look for you. Our souls know you are at peace with your Maker for the truth you stood for in the Communities and Family while you were here in the physical body and with the testimonies we are receiving after your departure. We are happy for the life you have lived. On the other hand, we acknowledged your failings. We love you, and the most sincere way we know of expressing our love particularly in your absence is by learning from your mistakes and accepting the responsibility of not repeating them.
Even when we close our eyes, there is an image of your face. Dad, you are a loss that nothing can replace. I try not to wonder why you left us now; when you are about to reap the fruits of your years of labour, things were getting better. Dad why? Why did you do this to us? You hurt me particularly, so bad because all my dreams was to come back home with your name sake OBANDE, my son for this Christmas Holiday and you have even accepted and welcomed us in advance. You hurt me badly but I will always be proud to have you as a precious father even in death because you are a brave lion. You are indeed A HERO IN IKWOKWU, A LEGEND OF ITO, THE VOICE OF HIS PEOPLE, and A KING OF PEACE. We love you, we miss you. You will always remain in our heart till the end of time and I also know that one day even your enemies will remember you and say we lost a LEGEND ''HONOURABLE CHIEF OBANDE ALPONSUS ODEH'' We stand with tears in our hearts, but the Lord comforts us with thoughts of the life you have lived on earth. A life worthy of copy. I am consoled with the thoughts of you in heaven, singing halelluyah with the angels. We love you but God loves you most. The legacies you left with us is what made us what we are today and we promise to keep those legacies alive till our days elapse on earth. We have also promised to hold on to the very good ideologies and words of wisdom you have given us and never to let them die. Our people will find a new you in us. ADIEU DADDY, rest well till we meet to part no more.

EJEH OBANDE,
Son for the family.
15th December, 2018.

(1) (Reply)

When Is The Best Time To Buy Your Children A Phone? / Child Born Out Of Wedlock / I Have Something Very Little To Give Out To 5 People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.