Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,225 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol (1221 Views)

How People Are Containing The Spread Of Coronavirus Around The World (Photos) / Stop Using Toothpaste To Tighten Your Vagina - Expert / The Dangers Of Opening Bottles With Your Teeth (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by sleemzy96(f): 7:17am On Dec 20, 2018
There are two kinds of sugar used in the production of toothpaste. Sorbitol and xylitol. Sorbitol is cheaper in relation to xylitol. We all know cavities come about when bacteria in the mouth breaks down sugar by creating an acidic environment. The truth is bacteria also breaks down sorbitol but at a very slow rate as compared to normal sugar. It is disheartening to see that many top toothpaste brands make use of sorbitol. Should we say they don't care about our oral health and just want to make profit? Should we say dentists who encourage us to use this toothpastes don't know about these effects?

Xylitol on the other hand creates an alkaline environment for the bacteria and this prevents cavities as bacteria cannot break down sugar and damage the enamel. It is better to use a toothpaste that has a considerable percentage of xylitol. Although a toothpaste with xylitol might be more expensive, it is worth it. You have a good oral health and kiss the dentist goodbye.

I admonish us to check our toothpaste ingredients before buying them. And I realized most brands with xylitol cannot be gotten in Nigeria but outside the country.I

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 20, 2018
Thank you for this info.
But my oral B i buy for 7h in supermarket has sorbitol. I have been using it since after my tooth extraction 6yrs ago. It whitens my teeth, no aches, no cavities. I thought I would have more extractions after d first one but no tooth problem till now. I think if sorbitol was used in little amount to make a toothpaste then no problem.
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by sleemzy96(f): 9:35am On Dec 20, 2018
I guess this should be for people with advanced cases. What type of oral b is it? I would love to know the name, a picture would be appreciated as well
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by sleemzy96(f): 9:36am On Dec 20, 2018
EasternDamsel4:
Thank you for this info.
But my oral B i buy for 7h in supermarket has sorbitol. I have been using it since after my tooth extraction 6yrs ago. It whitens my teeth, no aches, no cavities. I thought I would have more extractions after d first one but no tooth problem till now. I think if sorbitol was used in little amount to make a toothpaste then no problem.

Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 20, 2018
Oral-B Pro-Health which is the real toothpaste. The one with the big white round cover. Sold for 700-800h original. Other than the usual oral B of lesser price hawked around for 200h.
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by sleemzy96(f): 10:04am On Dec 20, 2018
EasternDamsel4:
Oral-B Pro-Health which is the real toothpaste. The one with the big white round cover. Sold for 700-800h original. Other than the usual oral B of lesser price hawked around for 200h.
Well, consider the case of someone who has had a root canal treatment, an hole filled and new tiny cavities showing up. Like I said, sorbitol slows down the rate of decay. For the scenerio above, the person needs to reverse the decay through remineralization in order to close up the upcoming cavity. Only Xylitol can do this since it attracts the microorganisms that causes decay and starves them to death.

For advanced tooth issues, toothpaste with xylitol will be best used
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by sleemzy96(f): 10:07am On Dec 20, 2018
Does it also mean that the oral-b pro-health toothpaste without the big round cover sold in supermarkets for 350-400 naira are also fake?
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 20, 2018
sleemzy96:

Well, consider the case of someone who has had a root canal treatment, an hole filled and new tiny cavities showing up. Like I said, sorbitol slows down the rate of decay. For the scenerio above, the person needs to reverse the decay through remineralization in order to close up the upcoming cavity. Only Xylitol can do this since it attracts the microorganisms that causes decay and starves them to death.

For advanced tooth issues, toothpaste with xylitol will be best used
Yeah...I am commenting from experience. I almost had a root canal surgery cos I refused to come back for a permanent refill. grin
I finally got the tooth extracted...it's been blissful since then.
I will still check out other top tooth paste for that.
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by ugreat(m): 12:14pm On Dec 30, 2018
EasternDamsel4:

Yeah...I am commenting from experience. I almost had a root canal surgery cos I refused to come back for a permanent refill. grin
I finally got the tooth extracted...it's been blissful since then.
I will still check out other top tooth paste for that.

Did root canal some days back, the lecture given before and during the process makes it worthwhile. I will still monitor the progress as Dr advised that extraction is an outdated practice
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by Nobody: 6:26am On Dec 31, 2018
ugreat:

Did root canal some days back, the lecture given before and during the process makes it worthwhile. I will still monitor the progress as Dr advised that extraction is an outdated practice
Oh really? I know it's very expensive too. I remembered extracting a tooth in 2014 for 5k and I also enquired about the root canal surgery...I was told it costs 15k.
Even if the practice is outdated, I know most people will always opt for extraction.

Quick recovery dear.
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by Nobody: 6:33am On Dec 31, 2018
sleemzy96:
Does it also mean that the oral-b pro-health toothpaste without the big round cover sold in supermarkets for 350-400 naira are also fake?
I learnt it was produced for hands that can't afford the original toothpaste. You know this mass production thing...
My dear, I am not advertising for them but I can attest to that toothpaste since after my extraction. I can chew and tear down animal meat > cheesy grin. No tooth aches, no further complications, no holes....

The toothpaste is good.
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by ugreat(m): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2018
EasternDamsel4:

Oh really? I know it's very expensive too. I remembered extracting a tooth in 2014 for 5k and I also enquired about the root canal surgery...I was told it costs 15k.
Even if the practice is outdated, I know most people will always opt for extraction.

Quick recovery dear.

Root canal(I call it tooth surgery) is above 35k now at where I did mine
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 01, 2019
ugreat:

Root canal(I call it tooth surgery) is above 35k now at where I did mine
Quite expensive now
Re: The Dangers Of Using Toothpaste Containing Sorbitol by naturalskincare: 11:55pm On Jan 31, 2019
D. Branner Herbal Toothpaste is an age old formula prouduced absolutely from Natural and Herbal Ingredients with unique characteristic of strengtheing of the gums, reducing of sensitivity of the teeth, Temporary relief of tooth ache, no more bad breath, teeth wil remain clean & fresh from morning till evening, upon regular use will remove the calciium deposits as well.

(1) (Reply)

I Will Answer All Your Questions On Stds / Coronavirus: Why Is Italy So Ravaged? / Our Facemask Passed The Test (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.