Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court (4786 Views)

Akwa Ibom Election Supreme Court Judgement: Live Updates / Abia Governorship Election Supreme Court Hearing & Possible Judgment / Buhari Sends Atiku To SA To Lobby Zuma For Adesina.....premium Times.(PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by Danoe(m): 8:35pm On Apr 16, 2007
I believe the INEC which means Independent National Electoral Commision have Policies and Regulatios guarding the conducts of elections in Nigeria which is more or less known very well to the Judiciary.

This issue of Atiku should not be the problem. He is as well a free citizen of our country Nigeria and more or less quite   interested in the politics of our country Nigeria.

Atiku is presently still or not the vice president of Nigeria? I will like us to confirm this.

If Atiku is still our Vice President at this time is it very necessary for him to still vie for the post of the President?

If he is no more our vice President the question is what are his Manifestoes?

He had been in government with Obj and others for eight (cool good years, what special does he really have for Nigeria that he  couldn't package through out the first eight years.

I believe Atiku contesting or not all we are seeking for is EXCELLENCE!! and it do not have duplicates lets be very real about this.

In politics there is no permanent friends or enemies but permanent interest of our country and nation.

In  election you are bound to vote your concience and interest.

Is it allegations and disput   that we need in Nigeria, I will strongly say NO!!

We should go back to our research and studies to really allow  the INEC to carry out  their duties properly according to the Electoral Acts and codes of conducts.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by bamidele(m): 8:54pm On Apr 16, 2007
another june 12 is the offing obj wil annual elections and rule for a year to calm things down watch this space pure anarchy
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by justkunmi(m): 9:13pm On Apr 16, 2007
bamidele:

another june 12 is the offing obj wil annual elections and rule for a year to calm things down watch this space pure anarchy

if atiku wins?
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by adconline(m): 9:16pm On Apr 16, 2007
OBJ has no power under the constitution to cancel elections. They should shift the elections by  1-2 weeks in order to make provisions for the supreme court's ruling.

Peter Obi, Fayose,and Atiku have proven that judiciary is on the right track. This ruling has set a precedent that politicians including Atiku  and Co cannot witch-hunt their political enemies with INEC and EFCC. Kudos to judiciary for saving democracy in Nigeria
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by justkunmi(m): 9:24pm On Apr 16, 2007
yeah, the ruling saved democracy but doomed nigeria.

atiku, as corrupt as he is, is now in pole position to win the presidency.
this is bad for nigeria.
electing a corrupt man to spite another corrupt man!!!!

GOD SAVE NIGERIA
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by 9ja4eva: 9:36pm On Apr 16, 2007
As far as PDP doesnt win.If PDP doesnt win then we can say free and fair.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by justkunmi(m): 9:48pm On Apr 16, 2007
oh, os if AC, Atiku wins, its free and fair?
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by 9ja4eva: 9:50pm On Apr 16, 2007
Am nt saying that bt no PDP.Definitely they dont rig the elections we know the man d masses want.Its between Buhari and Utomi
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by LadyT(f): 9:57pm On Apr 16, 2007
Atiku wont win. This will be his only victory before he enters kirikiri
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by lewa(m): 10:05pm On Apr 16, 2007
People like Utomi and Donald Duke had ideas
Why past tense?
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by lewa(m): 10:19pm On Apr 16, 2007
See wahala(trouble)!Isn't OBJ corrupt?Anenih,Agagu,Saraki,Akala haven't they be found wanting?Yet,they are the President's men!Atiku on the other hand has not been found guilty of any crime!Yet paper critics who know absolutely nothing are quick to condemn him.OBJ ran the oil ministry for 8 years with no accountability yet he calls Atiku a thief!He used PTDF funds to buy his gal an automobile~however Atiku's a thief!He has ben called to explain how an insolvent farming business,moribound in 1998 is now expanding with recent acquisitions~yet Atiku is a brigand!He wasted $4bn on power generation,candles,lamps and for the wealthy power generating plants have eclipsed PHCN's role~but Atiku is a fraud!His boy Anenih,as minister for works collected$3bn;no roads were done;but Atiku otherwise his the devil's missionary!Odili was indicted by the Human Rights Watch for flagrant waste of resorces to the tune of almost $10 bn in 8 years,Ibori and Lucky have pauperised millions~albeit to papa and pickin Turaki is a rogue!
OBJ has not respected all Supreme Court rulings he lost,he has undermined democracy;yet our paper critics,jaundiced with narrow mindedness dare not complain.A bandwagon of thieves,brigands,rogues,murderes,election manipulators,louts thugs a la Adedibu,Daniel,Ibori,Odili,Saraki etc are all worse than Atiku.OBJ by fraternising with them;thus indirectly is one too!
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by alanbolo(m): 10:20pm On Apr 16, 2007
With the manpower of PDP, i can't c Atiku winning on saturday.  
He might have a chance if he joins forces with other parties, but being a strong headed man, he'll decided to go alone thinking he got Nigerians under his belt.     As being said b4, it's not right for a  corrupt man both known in international politics for some fund mismanagement to contest an election.  

While i agreed on the rule of law, does it means that late armed robbers: Anini and Oyenusi would have been allowed to contest if still around?  maybe we should allow Tafa Balogun to contest for presidency as well? grin
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by babasin(m): 11:05pm On Apr 16, 2007
@9ja4eva,
Am nt saying that bt no PDP.Definitely they don't rig the elections we know the man d masses want.Its between Buhari and Utomi

are you sure?

I saw people on CNN dancing about on the street with the news of Atiku to contest!

We need a leader who will stand FIRM at all times and believes in himself. Such inspire followership!
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by omon(m): 11:13pm On Apr 16, 2007
Nigerians will dance for anything. only fools will dance for Atiku
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by abhosts(m): 11:20pm On Apr 16, 2007
Nigerians are the most optimistic people on earth. So despite the daylight robbery of last Saturday, that most people refer to as elections, you guys still think that OBJ can conduct a free and fair presidential election?

100 Atikus or Buharis cannot stop PDP from stealing next Saturday’s election. In the case of oyo state where I am presently, an eye witness with inside knowledge of the final results of the guber elections said that The ANPP won when the results were collated. But something else was announced.

So it’s not about who wins. I personally think that Buhari will carry the popular vote, but it is our emperor (OBJ) that will determine who the winner will be.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by omon(m): 11:36pm On Apr 16, 2007
In which country is Buhari the popular candidate? what does he stand for? PDP is the most organised party in Nigeria. how do u vote for a party without an ideology apart to get at OBJ? They do not offer a better alternative. PDP all the way.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by 9ja4eva: 11:38pm On Apr 16, 2007
NO PDP.PDP can be known for wateva we dont care.People are tired of PDP.Let a new party come in.

PAT UTOMI FOR PRESIDENT
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by olat(m): 1:11am On Apr 17, 2007
@lewa,

Thanks for the exposition.

@ all

We need to understand one fact. Where are we politically as a nation? It is fool-hardy to think that pple like Pat Utomi will just rise up and become the president of a nation like Nigeria now considering our antecedent. Its a gradual process. people like them will come as Ministers, policy makers, think-tanks, then as Vice President then a President - God willing. It takes time to build such political consciousness among our political illiterate and semi illiterate citizens and most importantly confronting the ruling 'cabals'. Remember, its not me and you that constitutes majority of voters. have you taken time to analyse those that votes and their level of political and governance awareness?
Now, back to Atiku's case. One thing that gladdens my heart is that Atiku won against Obasanjo's 'dictatorship'. in the last few years, we have been living in this country according to the mood, whims and caprices of obj. If we look at corruption in all facets not necessarily financial. You will simply conclude that both Atiku and Obasanjo are thieves! But its good for Atiku to win so that Obasanjo will be humbled against his "arrogant and ignorant posture" and as for Atiku, he will always be conscious not to tread the same path of arrogancy. The greater benefit is for us the masses ithat in every thing mortal have a say!
Finally, I want to dough my cap for Atiku for being courageous inspite of seemingly insurmountable challenges and Tinubu, the master strategist. In everything there are lessons to learn.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by TCUBE(m): 1:36am On Apr 17, 2007
in ur face OBJ. i hereby advice the nigerian police,sss and other security agents to arrest obasaanjo if he tries to stop atiku in other ways, the guy(obj) is just a player hater
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by lewa(m): 1:37am On Apr 17, 2007
olat! wink
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by TCUBE(m): 1:43am On Apr 17, 2007
LadyT:

Atiku wont win. This will be his only victory before he enters kirikiri
if atiku wins then naija is screwed
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by 9ja4eva: 2:57am On Apr 17, 2007
He cant win but no PDP.If Yar Adua wins Nigeria is done for.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by IykeD1(m): 4:01am On Apr 17, 2007
@9ja4eva,

As far as things stands, its PDP for a long time! The other parties have nothing close in terms
of organization or resources.

Wish is one thing, reality is another ball game. A quick study of last Saturday's outing should
tell you how this coming Saturday will play out - its going to be a mirror.

Lets get real for a minute, for all its failures, there are still average Nigerians that will truly
vote for PDP because the opposition are simply jokers and have nothing better to offer other
than they hate Obasanjo - what an alternative? The serious ones like Pat Utomi lacks the
organizational structure or resources to make any dent.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by 9ja4eva: 4:05am On Apr 17, 2007
Yeah u right.Its sad though but then lets see what happens.Honestly most people will vote for PDP still.Maybe we shld fast.lol.

Who do u want to win though?I tink Pat Utomi is the right man.If only PDP had Duke as their presidential candidate.Kai na wa oh.God help us oh
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by rotbog(m): 4:38am On Apr 17, 2007
Opposition parties meet today, may boycott presidential polls
By Akpo Esajere, Group Political Editor
SHOULD the coming presidential election be boycotted or not? That is the question which opposition parties are set to decide upon this morning as they meet in Abuja.

Sources said last night that the overwhelming thinking among the camps of the leading presidential contenders is that their participation in the next weekend's election could only serve to put legitimacy on a heavily flawed and fraudulent electoral process.

It is a fall-out of the governorship and State Assembly polls held last Saturday as the first leg of the two-pronged exercise.

Opposition parties have rejected the outcome of the gubernatorial contest in many states considered to have been heavily abused and manipulated.

Not only was the conduct marred by severe irregularities, the slots in a majority of the states are rated as having been unfairly awarded to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

At the meeting of opposition parties in Abuja last week, a leading presidential candidate, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) had canvassed consensus to enable the opposition to present a "granite coalition" against the ruling party's alleged rigging plot.

But that is likely to give way as they meet today, faced with what some sources among opposition politicians termed as "a pre-determined project of returning the PDP presidential candidate at all costs."

The Action Congress (AC), according to sources, is going to the meeting today on the position that there is no point going for the election.

This is in spite of the Supreme Court judgement yesterday, which cleared the way for its presidential flag bearer, Vice President Atiku Abubakar, to run in the election.

As at last night, the Vice President's camp, according to sources, was divided between those who think that he should run and those who see it as pointless, with the latter being a big majority.

The first group believes that if Abubakr were denied victory, he could use the recognised legal channels particularly the election tribunal, to obtain redress.

This is the more so as the courts have demonstrated through decisions in many cases involving him that they are ready to uphold justice and fair play.

The second group, which may carry the day, are however of the view that Abubakar's participation could only serve to confer legitimacy on the election, even when "obviously, the INEC under Prof. Maurice Iwu could never announce Atiku as winner of the election."

Said a source: "Running will only serve to diminish Atiku politically. They will have the opportunity to humiliate him. They will declare votes for him behind Buhari and even (Pat) Utomi and (Chris) Okotie.

"INEC under Iwu has established itself as Atiku's adversary. It could never announce Atiku."

However, it is speculated that the fact of the ANPP picking up five states in the governorship election may encourage Buhari to insist on going ahead to test his popularity at presidential election.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by 9ja4eva: 4:49am On Apr 17, 2007
It wldnt be a bad idea if they boycott it though.INEC could reconduct State Elections(Rigged States)alongside the presidentials this weekend.It really makes no sense anyway gunning for a post and then you are robbed.I support them.INEC should not monitor the elections again.Since we cant do it they should call in foreign agencies to come and monitor the election.The peoples vote must count for the presidential election.

Iwu needs to be flogged ahead of time.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by Tobiegal(f): 8:19am On Apr 17, 2007
I share ur line of thot, 9ja4eva,

come 2 think of it, now dat atiku is free 2 contest, i can jst imagin dem pdp feeling dir temperature, its not like atiku is al dat, bt he certainly a beta alternative 2 yar'dua anytyme.
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by dblock(m): 8:36am On Apr 17, 2007
Be to differ
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by goldenray(m): 8:36am On Apr 17, 2007
100 Atikus or Buharis cannot stop PDP from stealing next Saturday’s election. In the case of oyo state where I am presently, an eye witness with inside knowledge of the final results of the guber elections said that The ANPP won when the results were collated. But something else was announced.

My brother you are wrong. If there is anybody that can handle PDP using their own game and beat them it is atiku. Am not saying he will win. Fact is that saturday's polls will not be an election at all. Am sorry to say your votes will not be involved in the process.

Saturday is going to be massive rigging for massive rigging! Atiku versus PDP machinery, with Buhari trailing behind and picking the left overs. Nigerians are going to witness rigging of the highest order this saturday. The question is: Will the power of incubency submerge that of a willy, cunning and evil villian? In any case we are in for it!

lets start processing Visas again o
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by Tobiegal(f): 9:48am On Apr 17, 2007
Goldenray, u can say dat again,

bt u knw wot, its realy interesting d way things r looking, i dont 4 once believe dat any vote wld count, even if cnn n bbc of dis world show dat shows everyoda person votes 4 anpp! pdp will stil win,

nawa 4 pdp sha,

n ribadu can cee dis abi?!
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by omokenny(m): 10:47am On Apr 17, 2007
well for me I don't see any big thing on Atiku to go for presidency because we know surely PDP is going to win so why are we troble our self
Re: Atiku To Contest In 2007 Presidential Election - Supreme Court by McKren(m): 10:55am On Apr 17, 2007
OBJ is very crafty, if I was Atiku I will simply quit the race now that the ovation is still loud. Cos look at that chart on bbc and tell me how AC or ANPP put together will upset PDP ??

Do you know what this is about, If Atiku was disqualified yesterday his political death would have left him a political matyrh but now that the damage has been done. If the Nigerians seal his faith by rejecting him at the polls (whether free and fair or not) he will have no face in our political history. Afterall he contested and lost.

I am still a fan of the man OBJ though. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father / Surpising Gombe State / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.