Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks (68817 Views)

6 Anambra Billionaires Who Started From Onitsha And Built National Brands / BREAKING!!! Fire Guts Mammy Market In ‘abacha Barracks’ Abuja / Ndubuisi Emenike, Millionaire Disguises As Beggar In A Market In Imo (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2018
Thatdopekelly:

Retarded mind and tribal bigot, Igbo what? A very pure and total IDOMA woman.
When did Igbo start bearing OCHEFU? Do you even know the meaning?

I said 'Igbo sense'. Don't you understand English language? Note the inverted commas.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 21, 2018
porthouse7:
she's idoma not igbo
I know. the the post above.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Hafeezcodex1(m): 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2018
Well done Oga madam! U do good.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by ChisomDgreatest(m): 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2018
smartmom:

She is not ibo. She is an idoma woman actually otukpo born. She hails from a linage of wealthy and enterprising women. My mum's stock so yes I know her personally

seriously...like you know her personally??
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by makadon: 4:03pm On Dec 21, 2018
ChisomDgreatest:
that's an Igbo woman for you!
we rise by lifting others
you get it all wrong na Idoma woman
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by wink2015(m): 4:07pm On Dec 21, 2018
Mediahelm:
Did you know that mammy market was named after a woman called Mammy Ochefu? Yes yes! Every military barrack in Nigeria has a place called ‘mammy market’, a place close to the barracks, where soldiers’ interact and buy their daily needs. In 1955 at Enugu, the market was named

After Mammy Ochefu, the wife of late military Governor of defunct East-Central state, Col. Anthony Aboki Ochefu, where she sold a local non-alcoholic beverage called enyi to support her family.

Her husband initially declined as soldiers’ wives were known to be housewives. He later accepted for her to continue the business when she told him it was to support him and the family.

After taking a week break at home due to complaints from people that the drink attracted flies, pressure from her clients inspired a Lieutenant Colonel to build her a kiosk to make it more conducive. Her family was later posted out of Enugu to Abeokuta but Mammy continued

The business wherever they were
posted to while she added snacks that would interest the soldiers’. Interestingly, whenever her family was transferred to another state, she would hand over the business to women who were interested in it but asked that they retain the name.

Mammy registered her business as “Mammy Market” in 1971. By the time her husband retired, the business had grown into a supermarket and a transport business.

When her husband rose to become a military governor, Mammy was still going about her business. She joined him few months later due to pressure from people, leaving the business in the hands of four people.

The idea of Mammy market, which was started by Mammy Ochenfu in Enugu Army Barrack with one shilling in 1955, continues to grow with the country and whenever a barrack is built, a mammy market is built together with it. Through this initiative, Mammy Ochefu helped millions of

Nigerian women across the countries to be business owners. We celebrate this beautiful strong woman who defied all odds to create jobs for millions of women today.
Written by: TFCSpeaks on Twitter

Source: https://www.mediahelm.com.ng/2018/12/meet-mammy-ochefu-woman-who-started.html

Nice one.

Another good thing about this news is that we manage to keep a good historical records about this "MAMMY MARKET" at least that will help the coming younger generation to understand the history books.

For the avoidance of doubt the British people still keep records of Winston Churchill and all the war time stories till date including other aspect of their internal histories,

The United States has a war museum where they keep records of war histories and many political and economic records.

But in Nigeria because of the greed of our political and elite class we do not keep adequate records. Most of the record we keep are done haphazardly.

Where is the vehicle that our former head of state, General Murtala Ramat Muhammed was assassinated in the coup of 13th February, 1976 in a Lagos traffic that faithful Friday?

The said abortive coup was led by Lt Col. Buka Suka Dimka.

What about records of Lord Lugard, Macpherson, Sir James Robertson etc.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Aarenaija: 4:09pm On Dec 21, 2018
Great woman.
At least this is not another bad news but a good one.
Inspiring..........
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by ChisomDgreatest(m): 4:09pm On Dec 21, 2018
smartmom:

She is not ibo. She is an idoma woman actually otukpo born. She hails from a linage of wealthy and enterprising women. My mum's stock so yes I know her personally

seriously...like you know her in person?
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Thatdopekelly(m): 4:11pm On Dec 21, 2018
OkaNaUbe:

I said 'Igbo sense'. Don't you understand English language? Note the inverted commas.
OK, sorry English man. I think say you wan steal idoma people glory
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Markn: 4:13pm On Dec 21, 2018
She is the best.....am proud of you mummy.
Can our young girls or ladies think outside the box....?
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by EmekaBlue(m): 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2018
Tuale mama

even police and others don copy ur mammy market
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Maj196(m): 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2018
But why tinz dey always cost for mammy market in camp
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 21, 2018
When our core values were still much intact..

These are the true #celebrities

Very inspiring.....
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Tolubory(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2018
ojun50:
Who started d Mammy market in camp na
Nah mammy now!
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Patotelli(m): 5:00pm On Dec 21, 2018
Wonderful i love igbo women. God go punish who say make i no marry from the east.. I don't think you see what i saw, the background of that great woman. What happened to the glory of her history, i supposed she should be in overseas by now chilling in one of her children's home. If she's still alive thou. Pls MOD help us find out...
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by spiralwedge(m): 5:05pm On Dec 21, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
shocked

And tribalists hate resourceful people sad
She used her 'Igbo sense' to start a side hustle to support her military husband.

BTW, I thought "Mammy" is a coined word of the military.

Ndi Nne MAMMY, iso kwa!

She is Idoma. There's no Igbo sense there at all. You sound exactly like the tribalist.
Smh
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by delpee(f): 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2018
Great woman! God bless her.

BTW why is her tribe so important? All that is necessary is to appreciate her and learn from her enterprise.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Bimpe29: 5:11pm On Dec 21, 2018
Give it to the Igbos, they are naturally enterprising.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Markn: 5:12pm On Dec 21, 2018
Pk
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by GoldHorse(m): 5:15pm On Dec 21, 2018
Racoon:
I read about Mrs.Ochefu while my dad served then in the 82 Div.Cantoment Barracks Abakpa.The story was really inspiring.
The Idoma woman simply came during her husband's second stinct to Enugu as an officer & then governor of the old Eastern State to adopt the Igbo man's business idea of always being enterprising."Never despise the days of little beginning."

I am sure there were no Ibo people at all in Enugu then since it's only them that can be enterprising. lipsrsealed
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by mechanics(m): 5:28pm On Dec 21, 2018
That's nice, she was really a business minded woman and the mammy market exist in all NSYC camp, how i wish all the slay queens emulate her.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Olabestonic001(m): 5:43pm On Dec 21, 2018
Racoon:
I read about Mrs.Ochefu while my dad served then in the 82 Div.Cantoment Barracks Abakpa.The story was really inspiring.
The Idoma woman simply came during her husband's second stinct to Enugu as an officer & then governor of the old Eastern State to adopt the Igbo man's business idea of always being enterprising."Never despise the days of little beginning."

Actually, it's not an Igbo thingy but an African woman thing. The truth is true African women are exceptional enterprising.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Olatara(f): 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2018
sojayy:
grin
Funny! thou art.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Olatara(f): 5:50pm On Dec 21, 2018
smartmom:

I could give you her number but I doubt if she is needy. Even at her age, she is still an enterprising business woman with livestock farms flourishing
A gift my dear not charity.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by bigdoo: 6:08pm On Dec 21, 2018
Nice one, I knew it "every good thing has connection with the east".
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Awesomefred32(m): 6:10pm On Dec 21, 2018
interesting
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by odaniel1(m): 6:13pm On Dec 21, 2018
I am sure she is broke now. We have a bad maintenance culture in this country. We find it difficult to 'preserve' our own.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by kalufelix(m): 6:26pm On Dec 21, 2018
But who started olosho Inside barracks ..Every Market na market
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by uwa244(m): 6:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
Quite informative. I thought it was a military parlance.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by Ategberoson(m): 7:03pm On Dec 21, 2018
So what should we do about that? her kinsmen doesn't see good things in people so I see no good things in what she has done

nonsense people
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by AXYZ: 8:02pm On Dec 21, 2018
Viking007:
[s][/s]She's an Idoma woman, fom Benue State. undecided

She's my neighbor, just beside Isaac Ugbagbe's house.
Re: Meet Mammy Ochefu The Woman Who Started Mammy Market In Soldiers Barracks by AXYZ: 8:03pm On Dec 21, 2018
odaniel1:
I am sure she is broke now. We have a bad maintenance culture in this country. We find it difficult to 'preserve' our own.

She's not broke o. Her children are very okay too, from Prof to Dr. and etc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is This A Fake N1000 Note Or CBN Error? (Photo) / Richest Person In Nigeria / Lady Found Old Naira Notes In Her Dead Grandmum's Room (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.