Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,445 members, 7,823,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities (5470 Views)

Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers / Eight Nigerian Teachers Travel To US To Teach Yoruba In Varsities, Colleges / Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by HgsMediaPlus: 1:34am On Dec 23, 2018
The Women Advocates Research and Documentation Centre has hailed the judgement of Justice Maureen Onyetenu of a Federal High Court in Osogbo that convicted Prof Richard Akindele and sentenced him to two years in prison , describing it as “ a lesson to others ” .

The organisation called on Nigerian universities to put sexual harassment policies in place and strengthen students ’ complaints mechanism.
Akindele, a former lecturer at the Obafemi Awolowo University Ile -Ife , was sentenced to two years in prison for demanding sexual benefits from his student, Monica Osagie .

The WARDC and its Executive Director , Dr Abiola Akiyode- Afolabi , stood for Osagie and provided free legal services for her.

Akiyode- Afolabi , in a statement by the WARD Director of Legal Aid, Emmanuella Azu, expressed her delight at the court verdict .

The gender activist commended Osagie for her courage despite intimidations .

She said , “ It will serve as deterrent to other lecturers who exploit vulnerable students and harass them sexually on campus . We therefore call on the university authorities across the country to put sexual harassment policies in place and strengthen students ’ complaints mechanism.

“ The most effective ways to stop sexual harassment is to prevent it from happening . The burden of preventing sexual harassment rests on the school authorities, who have a duty of care for the students . ”

She added , “ Osagie ’ s courage is already serving as inspiration for victims of sexual harassment to speak up. ”

According to her, since Akindele’ s case , there have been two reports of sexual harassment in two universities .

Akiyode- Afolabi said , “ We have also received several calls from students who have claims of sexual harassments. In some of the schools , no policy or mechanism exists to prevent sexual harassment .

“ The diligent prosecution by the ICPC , the actions of the OAU authorities , vigilance of the women ’ s rights community and Nigerians on the matter is a historic milestone in achieving safe spaces for women in the country .

“ The WARDC will continue to fight for the rights of the girl- child and the elimination of all forms of violence against women."

https://www.hgsmediaplus.com.ng/2018/12/group-demands-sexual-harassment.html?m=1

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by successyoung(m): 7:01am On Dec 23, 2018
FTC
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by inoki247: 7:03am On Dec 23, 2018
Boost.
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by SAMBARRY: 7:03am On Dec 23, 2018
It also needs to be enforced in market places, garages and everywhere where loafers and obnoxious men are.this one a grown and educated man is saying a 5year old girls dressing is capable of arousing sexual desires in a man lipsrsealed undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Super1212: 7:04am On Dec 23, 2018
Good judgment.... Nigeria will survive

1 Like

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by deedy111: 7:04am On Dec 23, 2018
Good one

HURRAY! HURRAY!! HURRAY!!!

ITS my BIRTHDAY grin

just two days I would have been born on 25th(Christmas day).

Show me love guys with likes cool. But if your level don pass that one, na GTB ( 0266407837 ) I dey use.

If you do am, Baba God go protect your stew for fire, your fried rice no go burn, your fried chicken/meat go complete before you share, God go comot fire accident from your house, I say Baba God go bless you

C.Mon guys too much debit alert this year embarassed , throw me some credits na, atall stall na winch.

Note: NO BE BEG O

5 Likes

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Hez143(m): 7:04am On Dec 23, 2018
ok,it easy to implement but some ladies don't have the nerves to come out,and some olodo's will also go for it.
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by kaen1317: 7:05am On Dec 23, 2018
Lecturer's and sexual harassment are like 5 and 6....that zuma meme again my brother

1 Like

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by WeRblessed(f): 7:06am On Dec 23, 2018
Awesome news. He could have been sentenced to 10 years in prison undecided
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:09am On Dec 23, 2018
Good way to go
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Emceesaka: 7:10am On Dec 23, 2018
It's a welcome development. Thank God the foolish Randy Prof. will spend his Xmas and New year celebration in prison. Serve as a lesson to other lecturer.
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by oriewanbe: 7:10am On Dec 23, 2018
Ha! Men are in trouble in Nigerian Universities now. Lecturers will now make phone calls to female students at the risk of going to the prison.
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Larryallovernig: 7:12am On Dec 23, 2018
cool

4 Likes

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Whothecapfits: 7:13am On Dec 23, 2018
Naked and Scantily Dressed Ladies protesting Sexual Harassment.

Double Standards

4 Likes

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Nikkyelegance: 7:17am On Dec 23, 2018
Get your chain bag for just #1800 call/whatsapp 09039467329....offer is limited

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by sanmtiago(m): 7:18am On Dec 23, 2018
It's supposed to be a jail term of 5years so that lecturers nation wide go get sense. He goats where no get shame they find children to harass were them don reach to born.
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by anambraamaka: 7:24am On Dec 23, 2018
Good
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Groovenaija360(m): 7:30am On Dec 23, 2018
Very commendable
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Panshakraaa: 7:32am On Dec 23, 2018
No more food for lecturers
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by oriewanbe: 7:34am On Dec 23, 2018
Whothecapfits:

Double Standards
You are right. I don't even know the definition of sexual harassment in Nigeria. Seems as if they take it as rape. I don't know that talking to a lady on phone can attract two years imprisonment.
Using sledge hammer to kill an ant.
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by davillian(m): 7:48am On Dec 23, 2018
grin
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Nukilia: 7:51am On Dec 23, 2018
oriewanbe:

You are right. I don't even know the definition of sexual harassment in Nigeria. Seems as if they take it as rape. I don't know that talking to a lady on phone can attract two years imprisonment.
Using sledge hammer to kill an ant.

cheesy cheesy grin Make sure you stop talking to ladies on phone so that you won't stay 2. ,years behind bars....

#BadLogic
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by frankmoney(m): 8:01am On Dec 23, 2018
The problem with this is that most girls are willing to offer sex for marks

1 Like

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:06am On Dec 23, 2018
HgsMediaPlus:
The organisation called on Nigerian universities to put sexual harassment policies in place and strengthen students ’ complaints mechanism
https://www.hgsmediaplus.com.ng/2018/12/group-demands-sexual-harassment.html?m=1
Active supervision should be re-introduced!

Those days educationist sit up! When they know they can be sanctioned at anytime

And no one likes a negative report in their files!

It's time to bring it back!

These are issues the National Assembly should have on their agenda as in ASAP!!!

They should learn to be proactive and not reactive!!!

Don't wait till it happens to your wards before you attend to matters such as this!

This one from the group. I hope it is implemented and not just mere words

Please follow it up to a logical conclusion. Nigerians will thank you for it especially the girl child!

1 Like

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Boleyndynasty2(f): 8:15am On Dec 23, 2018
deedy111:
Good one

HURRAY! HURRAY!! HURRAY!!!

ITS my BIRTHDAY grin

just two days I would have been born on 25th(Christmas day).

Show me love guys with likes cool. But if your level don pass that one, na GTB ( 0266407837 ) I dey use.

If you do am, Baba God go protect your stew for fire, your fried rice no go burn, your fried chicken/meat go complete before you share, God go comot fire accident from your house, I say Baba God go bless you

C.Mon guys too much debit alert this year embarassed , throw me some credits na, atall stall na winch.

Note: NO BE BEG O
Keep deceiving yourself that u aren't begging undecided. Why should anyone on nairaland send you money cause its your birthday?
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by vioment: 8:34am On Dec 23, 2018
Put cameras that should always be turned on when a student goes to discuss with the profs. This camera should also have several remote backups.

Cameras should also be in the classes too to enable accountability.
Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by peterphd(m): 8:55am On Dec 23, 2018
False rape allegations should also get jail terms and sexual offenders records

1 Like

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 23, 2018
Whothecapfits:

Double Standards
There are unclad ladies in US and other European countries yet you rarely see their ladies been raped whereas countries like India and others have high rate of rape inspite of their covering. Therefore,naked and scanty dresses by ladies isn't a excuse for rape.

1 Like

Re: Group Demands Sexual Harassment Policies In Varsities by crafteck(m): 9:12am On Dec 23, 2018
Men also need to be protected, 50 percent of these girls use their bodies to beg and tempt lecturers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thai Students Caught Cheating With "Mission Impossible" Spy Glasses / Can A Woman Get Pregnant Just By Watching Blue Film??? / Find The Missing Number.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.