Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman (12696 Views)

Strike: No End In Sight, State Varsities Insist / ASUU Strike: No School In Kogi Has Been On Strike In The Last 5 Years / ASUU Strike: No End In Sight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Nobody: 11:43am On Dec 23, 2018
The majority of the country’s federal and state universities are still reeling from the effects of the Sunday, November 4, directive of the National Executive Council (NEC) of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to its members to embark on total and indefinite strike with immediate effect

The marching order was the outcome of the deliberation of the NEC, which met at the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), Ondo State.

Six weeks after, the various campuses across the country are looking like ghost towns as students were forced to go home. Since then, the students have been anxiously waiting for when the government and ASUU would resolve the issues in contention.

Checks on campuses across the country showed that the lecture halls and libraries are empty while the lecturers have also abandoned their offices in compliance with the NEC directive.

The representatives of the Federal Government and the leadership of the union have met severally, including on Monday, December 10 with no end in sight. Even when the Federal Government invoked the ‘no work, no pay’ rule and asked vice chancellors to stop salaries of the striking lecturers, the university teachers were not bothered as they vowed to also apply ‘no pay, no work’, a development that forced the government to withdraw the directive.

After one of the meetings, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, told Nigerians that the government had partially met the demands of ASUU, which led to speculations that the union would suspend the ongoing strike.

But in swift reactions, some principal officers of ASUU on Wednesday and Thursday last week denied that it was planning to suspend the industrial action, stating that there was no concrete agreement on ground.

The officers told Sunday Sun that only the NEC could suspend the strike, pointing out that no NEC meeting had yet been fixed.

Since the strike, ASUU and the government have met many times, the last being on Monday, December 17, and like others in the past, the meeting ended in a deadlock. The leadership of the union expressed displeasure in the way the government representatives were handling the discussion.

One of the branch chairmen told Sunday Sun that if the government officials continue with the lackadaisical attitude towards resolving the issues in contention, the implication would be that the students would continue to stay at home for a long time except President Buhari intervened and took decisions that would allow peace to return to the various universities.

Source : https://www.collegegist.com.ng/p/566/ASUU-strike-quot-we-re-not-planning-of-calling-off-the-strik

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Fynestboi

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Tunasco4u(m): 12:00pm On Dec 23, 2018
Even if federal government settle all there bills they will still strike for billing settlement,strike is in there blood it can't be drown out

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by wallex1983(m): 12:00pm On Dec 23, 2018
Truth is... If ASUU doesn't call off in January, the we all should just wait till April at least.

For me, I don't subscribe to students being on campus during elections.

Their convergence could be hijacked.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Henz24(m): 12:01pm On Dec 23, 2018
I give up on Nigerian

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by wallex1983(m): 12:01pm On Dec 23, 2018
Which way Nigeria?
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Rollingdice(m): 12:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
Buhari! Keep slubbering as the predidency slips out of your hand. If you don't answer them, Atiku will do.

Just keep allowing the He goat called Ngige to be toying around with ASUU. It will cost you your presidency.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by globalresource: 12:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
Let them continue...a large number said they are happy with the way Nigeria Economy is under Buhari and the way his government keeps apportioning blames.

Vote him again and you guys will be surprised at the kind of Next Level he is bringing....

Good Education policy under Buhari is zero..... No plan for the future leaders.

Enjoy your Change and your Next Level

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by oderinde151(m): 12:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
After telling everybody in my village about my admission into the University****
2years later
Village people don turn 4 years course into 5years like play like play

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by obi4eze(m): 12:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
Jubrin ain't interested

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by AsomArchitectNG(m): 12:02pm On Dec 23, 2018
Too bad. Btwn.....

Contact us today :

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Younghacka(m): 12:03pm On Dec 23, 2018
;(
Well. . . To Be Honest, I Think This Might Lead To The Longest ASUU Strike Nigeria Has Ever Witnessed.
The Man At The Head Of National Affairs Doesn't Seem To Know The Importance Of Education To The Development Of The Nation. . . He Will Rather Use Money To Explore The World Round Than Invest In The Future Of ''Lazy Youths''.
How I Wish Our Colonial Masters Were Still Around, We Would Have Been By Far The Richest And Most Developed Nation In Africa, Competing With World Powers Considering Our Abundant Natural Resources. . .
Oh God Of Creation,
Where Did We Get It Wrong??
Please Forgive Us Our Sins,
And Heal Our Land.
Amen!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by KingLennon(m): 12:03pm On Dec 23, 2018
ASUU and thunder I no sabi who strike pass o grin....
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by merryossai(m): 12:03pm On Dec 23, 2018
the summary of the whole thing is come march something must end. its either buhari ends or strike ends.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Strangebuttrue(m): 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2018
z

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Kamxin(m): 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2018
If you are still at home without adding cutting edge to your cv, think twice. Go fo ICT skills like Graphics, Advanced excel, Autocad, Web presence, Software tailored to your discipline or Industrial attachment, to avoid the ravaging unemployment rate in Nigeria from catching you tomorrow.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by seunlly(m): 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2018
Ride on boys.

We die here..
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Chukazu: 12:05pm On Dec 23, 2018
Mek una enjoy una change to the next level ...at next Devil!
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by anambraamaka: 12:06pm On Dec 23, 2018
Yeye
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by highness25(m): 12:06pm On Dec 23, 2018
Jason555:
The majority of the country’s federal and state universities are still reeling from the effects of the Sunday, November 4, directive of the National Executive Council (NEC) of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to its members to embark on total and indefinite strike with immediate effect

The marching order was the outcome of the deliberation of the NEC, which met at the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), Ondo State.

Six weeks after, the various campuses across the country are looking like ghost towns as students were forced to go home. Since then, the students have been anxiously waiting for when the government and ASUU would resolve the issues in contention.

Checks on campuses across the country showed that the lecture halls and libraries are empty while the lecturers have also abandoned their offices in compliance with the NEC directive.

The representatives of the Federal Government and the leadership of the union have met severally, including on Monday, December 10 with no end in sight. Even when the Federal Government invoked the ‘no work, no pay’ rule and asked vice chancellors to stop salaries of the striking lecturers, the university teachers were not bothered as they vowed to also apply ‘no pay, no work’, a development that forced the government to withdraw the directive.

After one of the meetings, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, told Nigerians that the government had partially met the demands of ASUU, which led to speculations that the union would suspend the ongoing strike.

But in swift reactions, some principal officers of ASUU on Wednesday and Thursday last week denied that it was planning to suspend the industrial action, stating that there was no concrete agreement on ground.

The officers told Sunday Sun that only the NEC could suspend the strike, pointing out that no NEC meeting had yet been fixed.

Since the strike, ASUU and the government have met many times, the last being on Monday, December 17, and like others in the past, the meeting ended in a deadlock. The leadership of the union expressed displeasure in the way the government representatives were handling the discussion.

One of the branch chairmen told Sunday Sun that if the government officials continue with the lackadaisical attitude towards resolving the issues in contention, the implication would be that the students would continue to stay at home for a long time except President Buhari intervened and took decisions that would allow peace to return to the various universities.

Source : https://www.collegegist.com.ng/p/566/ASUU-strike-quot-we-re-not-planning-of-calling-off-the-strik

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Fynestboi
wetin consign me as far as puna de for knacking
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Eliteklaus(m): 12:06pm On Dec 23, 2018
Solidarity forever, We d students no even won resume o, make una give us chance to go hustle
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by achimsemrys(m): 12:07pm On Dec 23, 2018
abeg am not against the strike oooo but it should not pass January ending
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Randy100: 12:07pm On Dec 23, 2018
ASUU should be strong. It is now or never.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Ernchibyke(m): 12:07pm On Dec 23, 2018
shocked

When two elephant fight. The grass suffers

The children of the ASUU chairman & top politicians are abroad studying. And they re here gambling with the futures of the poor masses who barely afford turion fee.

This Naija sef, I just can't wait to depart it!

1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 23, 2018
The only thing that works in Nigeria is politics and corruption. Not electricity, education, health, good roads or other social infrastructures.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by seunlly(m): 12:07pm On Dec 23, 2018
wallex1983:
Truth is... If ASUU doesn't call off in January, the we all should just wait till April at least.

For me, I don't subscribe to students being on campus during elections.

Their convergence could be hijacked.
Your opinion doesn't matter.
Whether you subscribe or not!.

We don't care. We want to resume.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by gentlegenius(m): 12:08pm On Dec 23, 2018
seunlly:

Your opinion doesn't matter.
Whether you subscribe or not!.

We don't care. We want to resume.
maticdamian:
A Student of Unilorin I am Stuck in school for this Xmas no money to eat all my friends have gone for holiday but am the only one left in the hostel I don't want to die of hunger I have nothing to eat as of this moment I speak anything be it just #500 I don't ask much just so that I can put something in my out please help

Diamond Bank
Ayodamola Olaosebikan Segun
My dear students,
ASUU and ASUP are on strike and some of you don't even have food to eat, yet the National Association of Nigerian Students is working for the re-election of the same dullard whose incompetence has kept you in this condition... Isn't this funny?
Pls election is at the corner. I don't care who you'll vote for, but if you want to save your future, DON'T vote Mumuhmadu Buhari again.
Never again will a dullard rule Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by maticdamian(m): 12:09pm On Dec 23, 2018
Pop smoke

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 23, 2018
I wonder the media rarely can news on ASUP strike. The way they follow up ASUU strike should be the same for ASUP. Why the discrimination in their reportage in the first place?
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Franzinni: 12:10pm On Dec 23, 2018
Why will there be end in sight when the people who can fix it have their own bastards in Harvard and Cambridge!!! Better use the time and learn a trade.... That is the only way you can survive in Nigeria...

These government and any other one to come would not care for the people.... They only need us to enter...

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by Kamxin(m): 12:10pm On Dec 23, 2018
maticdamian:
A Student of Unilorin I am Stuck in school for this Xmas no money to eat all my friends have gone for holiday but am the only one left in the hostel I don't want to die of hunger I have nothing to eat as of this moment I speak anything be it just #500 I don't ask much just so that I can put something in my out please help

Diamond Bank
Ayodamola Olaosebikan Segun

Vote PMB
Re: ASUU Strike : No End In Site - Chairman by seunlly(m): 12:11pm On Dec 23, 2018
highness25:
wetin consign me as far as puna de for knacking

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10k Giveaway For 10 Lucky Students / Plateau State University ASUU Commences Indefinite Strike / Emmanuel Osodeke Re-elected ASUU National President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.