Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,441 members, 7,954,744 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:22 AM

The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me (581 Views)

Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa: The Futility Of Obi/Baba-Ahmed Ticket / Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War / Buhari To Intervene As APC, Oyegun’s Bickering Worsens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by HisSexcellency(m): 6:09pm On Dec 23, 2018
Ever since the emergence of the Apc as a national party in 2014, it has become a daily confrontation and battle on social media between yorubas and igbos for political relevance and supremacy contest.

Nigeria has never been as divided as we currently are, the youths on social media from both sides seem to have thrown caution to the wind, lost all forms of decency and love for country in their bid to ridicule one another. Forgetting that both apc and pdp have members across the country irrespective of tribe, religion and state.
2015 elections saw Nigerians voting based on religion and tribe not minding whether the candidates are the wrong persons for these positions. And this trend seems to have moved up a notch in this 2019 elections where the tribe and religion you belong to matters more than competence.

On Nairaland the madness appears to reign supreme where bigotry and nepotism makes you famous irrespective of the damages you cause. Nairaland has a membership strength of over 2million people from all over the country, we have Hausa, yoruba, igbo, bini, itsekiri, efik, fulani, urhobo, igala, tiv, etc. Even non nigerians are members of this forum, but it's quite unfortunate that each time you open a thread all you see is "yorubas are this, igbos are that, bla bla bla..." even on issues and topics that has nothing whatsoever to do with tribalism. Enter politics section, romance, religion, education, entertainment it's all there.

The constant bickering by these few group of people is so irritating that it makes going through some threads on here difficult. The 2019 elections appears to have found its way to the subconscious of some persons that whatever they do has a political colouration to it.
Nairaland used to be a great place to be, read news and pass time. But now it's a war zone where only two sets of people (yorubas and igbos) gather to shade and throw jabbs at each other for no profitable cause. All these nonsense needs to stop and it stops now.

2 Likes

Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 23, 2018
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by nijabazaar: 6:23pm On Dec 23, 2018
That's the fun...

Our forebears did it.

Awo , Sarduana and the man with Glasses.

So who are we ( youths) if we dont carry on the tradition. Never forget ur past grin
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by Diiet: 6:26pm On Dec 23, 2018
Blame Igbos and their sympathisers from the east for this mess.
Immediately Jonathan lost,they began seeing Yoruba as reason behind his defeat and they resorted to name calling.
Yoruba youths are only retaliating.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by HisSexcellency(m): 6:34pm On Dec 23, 2018
nijabazaar:
That's the fun...

Our forebears did it.

Awo , Sarduana and the man with Glasses.

So who are we ( youths) if we dont carry on the tradition. Never forget ur past grin
The bickering over non-issues is irritating, why can't there be a semblance of decency, fun, interaction and learning on a forum with over 2million registered members without all these bitterness, hate and vendetta everywhere. Even some of the mods don't help either, the job of a mod is not only to move threads to front-page. He's to moderate, like an anchor or a tv talk show host.
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by gidgiddy: 6:38pm On Dec 23, 2018
As an Igbo man, I can say that it is better to trust a Cobra than a Yoruba man

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by HisSexcellency(m): 6:42pm On Dec 23, 2018
Diiet:
Immediately Jonathan lost,they see Yoruba as reason behind his defeat and they resorted name calling.
This issue goes both ways, both tribes are guilty in this. I have never seen attacks or throwing of tantrums from others like the two groups i mentioned earlier. Let there be some sanity for the good of all members and guests who use this forum.
Seun needs to have a chit chat with the mods, cus they have a major role in restoring sanity on this forum.
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by Diiet: 7:10pm On Dec 23, 2018
HisSexcellency:

This issue goes both ways, both tribes are guilty in this. I have never seen attacks or throwing of tantrums from others like the two groups i mentioned earlier. Let there be some sanity for the good of all members and guests who use this forum.
Seun needs to have a chit chat with the mods, cus they have a major role in restoring sanity on this forum.
Mods or the owner of this site won't do anything about it, they are benefitting from it as it helps to drive traffic to the forum.
Threads with tribal colouration, in which people would have to defend their tribes do get the highest comments and views. Hence, defeating tribalism on this forum would be imposible, but it can be reduced. We can reduce it by looking into the root cause of it. Though Nairaland has always been battle ground but Jonathan's 2015 loss blew the whole thing out of proportion. The blame for lack of decorum that is now the order of the day on this forum goes to the losers of 2015 election,who are now holding SW/yoruba as scape goat just to ease their pains and comfort themselves.
As my previous post says , SW youths are only retaliating. And that will not stop as long as they keep pointing accusing fingers at us.
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by PlayerMeji: 7:20pm On Dec 23, 2018
I love this post so much I have bookmarked it.

I think the issue is Nairaland feeds off the intensity of the heat generated through social bickering esp. Yoruba and Igbo e-wars.

It will not surprise me if this post doesnt make it to fp.

But overall, you have spoken it remains for you to be heard.
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by DrGoodman: 7:27pm On Dec 23, 2018
Diiet:
Immediately Jonathan lost,they see Yoruba as reason behind his defeat and they resorted to name calling.

This case senior you sef, even from the days of concord newspapers and punch, it has been one bad press after another targeted at Igbos by the Lagos ibadan junk journalism.

What you see today is an attempt to balance the story, and the Internet is a level playing field for that. So relax and enjoy the bickering because it ain't gonna stop this century. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by DrGoodman: 7:28pm On Dec 23, 2018
PlayerMeji:
I love this post so much I have bookmarked it.

I think the issue is Nairaland feeds off the intensity of the heat generated through social bickering esp. Yoruba and Igbo e-wars.

It will not surprise me if this post doesnt make it to fp.

But overall, you have spoken it remains for you to be heard.

You want to block their meal ticket?
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by DrGoodman: 7:29pm On Dec 23, 2018
HisSexcellency:

The bickering over non-issues is irritating, why can't there be a semblance of decency, fun, interaction and learning on a forum with over 2million registered members without all these bitterness, hate and vendetta everywhere. Even some of the mods don't help either, the job of a mod is not only to move threads to front-page. He's to moderate, like an anchor or a tv talk show host.

It's impossible. Learn to play the game like others.
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by HisSexcellency(m): 7:34pm On Dec 23, 2018
DrGoodman:

It's impossible. Learn to play the game like others.
Kindly explain, the bickering derails threads, corrupts opinions and pit neighbors against each other
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by DrGoodman: 7:37pm On Dec 23, 2018
HisSexcellency:

Kindly explain

It's impossible for everyone from both sides to reason together. Pride can never allow us do that, it's better the bickering goes on for now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by omowolewa: 7:44pm On Dec 23, 2018
The e-war is embarrassing and has caused a lot in real life.
I knew it would escalate when my former VP picked Peter Obi as his running mate.

OP, just close your ears as this noise will linger till March 2019. Politicians will cash on it. Infact, some guyz have been paid to do so.
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by DrGoodman: 7:47pm On Dec 23, 2018
omowolewa:
The e-war is embarrassing and has caused a lot in real life.
I knew it would escalate when my former VP picked Peter Obi as his running mate.

OP, just close your ears as this noise will linger till March 2019. Politicians will cash on it. Infact, some guyz have been paid to do so.

You really think this is about 2019? You're wrong. This started even before the civil war, through bit and after it. It may linger till Jesus comes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by gidgiddy: 7:51pm On Dec 23, 2018
Diiet:

Mods or the owner of this site won't do anything about it, they are benefitting from it as it helps driving traffic to the forum.
Threads with tribal colouration, where people would have to defend their tribes do get the highest comments and views. Hence, defeating tribalism on this forum will be imposible, but it can be reduced. We can reduce it by looking into the root cause of it. Though Nairaland has always been battle ground but Jonathan's 2015 loss blew the whole thing out of proportion. The blame for lack of decorum that is now the order of the day on this forum goes to the losers of 2015 election,who are now holding SW/yoruba as scape goat just to ease their pains.
As I said in my previous post , SW youths are only retaliating. And that will not stop as long as they keep pointing accusing fingers at us.

The root cause was when Lugard brought all of us together in 1914 in the olonial fraud called 'Nigeria'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by Charmingrascal(m): 7:58pm On Dec 23, 2018
It's because we hav so many "young adults" on dis forum. Most of dem lack sense of reasoning to contribute any sensible thng to threads all dey want is likes & social media approval, thus involving in unneccessary tribal wars. Seun nids 2 do more to stop dis
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by davidwilson3326(m): 8:31pm On Dec 23, 2018
Christmas Discount !!!!!!!!Christmas Discount !!!!!!!!Christmas Discount !!!!!!!!.....We did it before and we are here again With ""Emmanuel's Awful Fixed Games"
Buy 50 Odds And Get A Standing Fan!!!!!!
Buy 80 Odds And Get An Oven!!!!!!
Buy 100 Odds And Get A Generator!!!!!!
Abeg Nor say I nor tell you oooooo and if you won reach the Emmanuel call am or whatsapp am with this number +2349067145570

Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 23, 2018
I rather align with a tout from Somalia than from SW.

The relationship between igbos and yorubas should be strictly on business, anything aside that is totally unhealthy and dangerous to ndigbo.

Strictly on business and after that go your way.
Re: The Shallowness/futility Of The Yoruba And Igbo Political Bickering on social me by KillTheZombies: 8:48pm On Dec 23, 2018
In real life, I don't discuss politics with yorubas in my office. When they try to bring up politics, I tell them I don't discuss politics in my office.

I appreciate greatly if yorubas who come to my office do not start political conversation.

Let business be business and let politics be politics.

Chikena.

(1) (Reply)

Answer Atiku Now, PDP Tells Buhari / BREAKING: Buhari Hailed With 'four Plus Four' As He Arrives In Akwa Ibom To Flag / What Will Happen In Nigeria 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.