Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) (38471 Views)

Uche Nwosu: I Once Hawked, Shouted 'Orange Di Uto, Oka Di Oku' In Streets Of Aba / Aerial View Of Aba (enyimba City) / Bad Roads: Aba Women Protest, Issue 90-Day Ultimatum To Ikpeazu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by olisaEze(m): 9:55pm On Dec 24, 2018
These kind of posts are the reason I first fell in love with NL many years ago and subsequently joined, n not all these ethnic/tribal bashing. Kudos to the Op. if u don’t know where ure coming from, u can never know where ure going to.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by Magnifico2000: 10:03pm On Dec 24, 2018
Athena4:
Change your taste in women and stop generalizing.Independent women don't need your money.
Yh. Sorry for generalisation.. but most of Dem are the same.
Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by higgs: 10:11pm On Dec 24, 2018
Thanks Op for educating our young ones on this forum.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by joepepsy(m): 11:24pm On Dec 24, 2018
There are times even when you try to be funny you feel stupid.
NoGender:
grin

Brezz has always been a weapon of mass destruction.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by Ayobami7(m): 12:04am On Dec 25, 2018
Legend

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by DedeNkem: 2:13am On Dec 25, 2018
NoGender:
grin

Brezz has always been a weapon of mass destruction.

What an id*iot!

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by Sweetcollins: 4:21am On Dec 25, 2018
Ishilove:

Long time dear. How are you?

Am good dearie. Can we meet in private
Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by OyinO: 5:00am On Dec 25, 2018
NoGender:

That I said Breast? What sorta demented slowpoke are you.

Who doesnt know what breast is? Mind you, aren't you aware that the breast was the major thing they used to get attention?

Greet yourself. Nnamah Shobi
You're mentally dead. You need urgent mental resurrection. Avoid smoking Kwale weed.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by Judybash93(m): 6:42am On Dec 25, 2018
Respect!!!
Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by letu(m): 9:02am On Dec 25, 2018
maybachmusic:
history cheated Akwa Ibom in this topic

this riot was more of Ikot Abasi riot and not aba
Actually it is two separate incident that lead to the riot popularly known as Aba women riot,
(1) the first incident is that of Nwanyereuwa who comes from Umuode Nsulu in Isi Alangwa in which her husband is of Umuahia of old Bende Provence which is where it all started.

(2) second incident happened in northern area of Aba Provence now know as Isi Alangwa south, what happens was that when census was going in Owerri nta in Isi Alangwa the warrant chief and his men accidentally knock down a pregnant woman and there was no sympathy/remorse from the warrant chief and his men this makes the women to be angry since the first incident that happened in Umuahia is still fresh in their minds so they women went berserk and starts attacking colonialism in Old Aba Provence. All they did is for Old Aba Provence and it wasn't meant for all Igbo women simply because the very Igbo unity and consciousness did not exist at that time .

(3) Old Aba Provence today 2018 is divided in separate local government
( ). Isi Alangwa North and South L G A
( ) Obingwa L G A
( ) Ukwa East and West L G A
( ) Obibo also known as oyibo now in Rivers state L G A
( ) Osisiomangwa L G A
( ). Ugwunabwo L G A
( ) Also includes Ndoki communities in Ukanafun L G A in Akwa ibom state.

(4) Simply put all of them are part of Igbo people know as ( ) Ndoki , Ngwa , Asa.

So you see is not only Akwa ibom that was cheated in this history, Ngwa , Asa , Ndoki this Igbo people where also cheated simply because most people that have written / told stories about the Aba women's riot are not from any of this Igbo tribe that was cheated in this history of Aba women's riot.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by Konquest: 3:44am On Jan 26, 2019
Ishilove:
I saw this very remarkable historical piece on Facebook, by Mazi Uba Acho. It's good to finally have pictures. Sort of makes it more than a legend.

Right here are the real MVPS.

Although history lessons taught in school give me a slightly different version of events, I will admit that this article gives me a warm and tingly feeling up my spine.
^^^^
^^^^
^^^^
Hi Ishilove
I'm just seeing your post and I've got some
perspectives to add to it for the benefit of
those who may not know. Women from 6
ethnic groups in the Calabar and Owerri
Provinces were involved in the anti-tax riots
from November to December, 1929!

The ACTUAL tax riots/rebellion started from
Ikot Abasi in the present Akwa Ibom State by
the gallant Ibibio women in 1929 and NOT
Aba like the urban legend goes. The Ikot Abasi
colonial tax revolt involved the grandmother of the
current Minister of Budget and Planning... Mr. Udo
Udo Udoma (Madam Mary Edem Udoma, who was the mother of Justice (Sir)
Egbert Udoma Udoma ), who led the protests and she was shot dead too! The riot led to the killing of several
women (53) of Ikot Abasi and nearby communities
to Ikot Abasi by gun shots under the
orders of the white colonial officer. These women
who were shot dead in 1929 in Ikot Abasi are the
REAL heroines of the anti-tax struggle!

The false reference to Aba as being the source
of the tax riot has NOW been corrected and several
art exhibitions, symposia, and documentaries have
been produced to remember the great women of
Ikot Abasi. The HQ of the colonial Eastern Nigeria
and Cameroons was in Enugu... So when the news
of riots broke out, it was that of Aba they
heard first before the Ikot Abasi episode. But that
historical error of 1929 has be corrected now.
I got to know about this in the early 2000s as
well.

You may wish to read up more on this online or
via YouTube.

I hope this helps to add more meat to
your post.

Cheers!

PS: Pictures of the Women War Museum in
Ikot Abasi, Akwa Ibom State attached below.

2 Shares

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by Konquest: 12:04am On Jan 27, 2019
maybachmusic:
history cheated Akwa Ibom in this topic

This riot was more of Ikot Abasi riot and not aba

^^^^^
It started from Ikot Abasi and 53 women including
the grandmother of Mr. Udo Udo Udoma the current Minister of Budget and Planning was among
the gallant women of Ikot Abasi axis who were
shot dead in 1929.

Aba also witnessed anti-tax riots too but
Ikot Abasi was bloody! See my post directly above
which buttresses your original point as well!

The primary and secondary school history books
contain some misleading historical facts as well.
Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by Ishilove: 2:20am On Jan 27, 2019
Konquest:

^^^^^
It started from Ikot Abasi and 53 women including
the grandmother of Mr. Udo Udo Udoma the current Minister of Budget and Planning was among
the gallant women of Ikot Abasi axis who were
shot dead in 1929.

Aba also witnessed anti-tax riots too but
Ikot Abasi was bloody! See my post directly above
which buttresses your original point as well!

The primary and secondary school history books
contain some misleading historical facts as well.

Then it is time to update our secondary school history books.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nwayereuwa, Nwannedia, Ikonnia & Nwugo Of Aba Women Right (Pics) by Konquest: 2:58am On Jan 27, 2019
Ishilove:
Then it is time to update our secondary school history books.
^^^^^ ^^^^^
Absolute Ishilove...
For instance Jaja of Opobo is often falsely referred to as an "African nationalist" but I discovered from reading advanced archival materials that this former slave (who was brought from Imo axis to the Ijaw area of Bonny Island) and later escaped to Opobo which was part of Ikot Abasi in the old Calabar Province, was a very wicked man who prevented the Annangs and other Ibos of the interior from trading with the white people on the coast.

He was so brutal that he ordered the beheading of those captives of rival ethnic groups. The British who Jaja had helped to provide 50 mercenaries to assist in defeating the Asanti during the Anglo-Asanti War, and presented him with a gift of a sword from the Queen of England, had to eventually remove him from his monopolistic role as a Middleman Chief in Opobo because he was getting too arrogant and brutal.

The History of Nigeria by Sir Allan Burns is a very popular book that was first written in the 1920s and contains the real negative actions of this guy called Jaja of Opobo.

Is this the person the so-called school books have portrayed as a role model and African hero and nationalist? Something is wrong with those who crafted the school history books!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Leaves London On British Airways For Abuja / Buhari Presented With His National ID Card (Photos) / Atiku’s Subpoenaed Witnesses Unsettle INEC, Tinubu, APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.