Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,108 members, 7,953,389 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:25 PM

Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! (1489 Views)

Is There Any Other Active Forums Like Nairaland In Nigeria / I Will Pay Any Amount For Site/forums With Nairaland Like Functions Demo Design / Does Websites And Forums Make Money From Its Users Data (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by TopDogNaija(m): 2:01pm On Dec 24, 2018
Hello nairalanders. I'd like us to discuss briefly on a pressing issue which worries me a lot. I don't know if you've noticed, nairaland is the only Nigerian website to hit Forbes list which makes me curious. With a staggering amount of 198.3million people in Nigeria, is it that we don't have programmers skillful enough to design cool forum site coz Ion understand.
I did a survey on "Nigeria's top community forum" sites and nairaland is so far the best, why is it so?...I see lots of programmers advertise their services in this thread but Ion think any of them have the right skillset to build a mega site like nairaland.
Now my question is, What's the science behind building a community like nairaland and what are the necessary steps to take in achieving this?
Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by webapi: 5:51pm On Dec 24, 2018
TopDogNaija:
Hello nairalanders. I'd like us to discuss briefly on a pressing issue which worries me a lot. I don't know if you've noticed, nairaland is the only Nigerian website to hit Forbes list which makes me curious. With a staggering amount of 198.3million people in Nigeria, is it that we don't have programmers skillful enough to design cool forum site coz Ion understand.
I did a survey on "Nigeria's top community forum" sites and nairaland is so far the best, why is it so?...I see lots of programmers advertise their services in this thread but Ion think any of them have the right skillset to build a mega site like nairaland.
Now my question is, What's the science behind building a community like nairaland and what are the necessary steps to take in achieving this?

Ok there are many reasons behind this... First nairaland is not the only forum website in Nigeria but the most popular. Nairaland was created when the internet was not really flexible like today. Secondly Nairaland is easy to use, fast loading time (Google loves websites with fast loading time), No too much navigation and bundles of js libraries ( unlike most developers would want to add every damn part of jquery to their website). Thirdly, think about this "Who has time to create facebook like platform? How would you start pulling people over?" That is how nairaland is... Developers feels it's waste of time creating a forum like nairaland because having people to switch over would be really difficult ( Except the developer has something unique to add into his platform). Now to clear the air, most developers are more creative than creating a forum website... We have many unique innovations other than creating a forum website. More developers would be here to add suggestions

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by TheManofTomorrow(m): 6:35pm On Dec 24, 2018
webapi:

Ok there are many reasons behind this... First nairaland is not the only forum website in Nigeria but the most popular. Nairaland was created when the internet was not really flexible like today. Secondly Nairaland is easy to use, fast loading time (Google loves websites with fast loading time), No too much navigation and bundles of js libraries ( unlike most developers would want to add every damn part of jquery to their website). Thirdly, think about this "Who has time to create facebook like platform? How would you start pulling people over?" That is how nairaland is... Developers feels it's waste of time creating a forum like nairaland because having people to switch over would be really difficult ( Except the developer has something unique to add into his platform). Now to clear the air, most developers are more creative than creating a forum website... We have many unique innovations other than creating a forum website. More developers would be here to add suggestions
I succumb to your points hook, line and sinker.
No to the op
1. People don't really respond well to change. There are Nigerian sites that rates far above NL but guess what, most Nairaland users will still prefer to use Nairaland with its tons of garbage including myself grin grin

2. People love Nairaland for it's simplicity and speed. A site like Nairaland doesn't require much skills I would say. Just the speed albeit all its content is hard to come by.

3. Nairaland has existed for a long time hence it contains a very vast amount of information affecting the Nigeria society. Try searching out a topic on google with Nairaland as it's site of reference and you'be marvelled Nairaland has the answer.

4. Just try creating a genuine topic you want opinions on and you be surprised at the level of contributions you will receice .

Unfortunately, there is nothing in this world without it's cons.
I love Nairaland

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by TopDogNaija(m): 9:27pm On Dec 24, 2018
Hmm, good contributions. I wanted to build a forum website myself but I needed clarifications on things b4 doing anything. I might need to direct my technical skills somewhere else other than a forum site grin grin
Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by netsurfer01(m): 4:18am On Dec 25, 2018
TopDogNaija:
Hmm, good contributions. I wanted to build a forum website myself but I needed clarifications on things b4 doing anything. I might need to direct my technical skills somewhere else other than a forum site grin grin

Lol grin
Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by OpenYourEyes1: 8:17am On Dec 25, 2018
I think what works is having strong interest(or what some call passion) for something and building a community around it.

By the way I read somewhere that the forum is the third largest in the world?
Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by benzics(m): 9:44pm On Dec 29, 2018
Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by Millz404(m): 5:54pm On Dec 30, 2018
TopDogNaija:

I am currently working on a kickass next generation forum. Its a beauty. Fast and simple. It's everything a modern forum should be. I niched it down to a more serious community. Launching it soon

Since you are interested in stuffs like this you can check it out on https://naihub.com
Before launch, i will circulate it among my circle to create a level of activity before going public and you can contribute to that. It's working now with some minor adjustments so you can look around and signup in support
It's still in dev mode.. Still adding features and correcting bugs
Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by webapi: 8:18pm On Dec 30, 2018
Millz404:

I am currently working on a kickass next generation forum. Its a beauty. Fast and simple. It's everything a modern forum should be. I niched it down to a more serious community. Launching it soon

Since you are interested in stuffs like this you can check it out on https://naihub.com
Before launch, i will circulate it among my circle to create a level of activity before going public and you can contribute to that. It's working now with some minor adjustments so you can look around and signup in support
It's still in dev mode.. Still adding features and correcting bugs
Nice forum... Using FLARUM is great. I have done a couple of project on it.. Congratulations but you need to work more on engagements.
Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by asalimpo(m): 10:56pm On Jan 19, 2019
Nairaland will b 14 this year 2019.
It has gained traction,established a name etc. Its competitor would hav to be patient and innovate by offering targets enough incentive to visit it and keep returning.
Some sites debuted some years ago clamouring for users. I got some invites but d sites were unusable. I would logon and logon but it wouldnt recognize my password. They was a usability nightmare.

Anoda issue is, knowing what creates appeal. Like paul graham said in one of his essays, ask yourself,if you would use d product you are creating. Would you be excited at the prospects of visiting a forum that had identical features to nairaland? What's d point? So it has to offer somethng nairaland lacks or is incapable of imitating quickly or at all.

Read managemnt books on innovation nd strategy to gain a broader perspective. Two i'd highly recommend are:
1) Monoply rules
2) Blue oceans strategy
bonus: Blue oceans shift
they're easy readings for lay people.
Re: Why Are Online Forums Rare In Nigeria?... Seun WHY!!! by Brizzy404: 1:26pm On Jan 21, 2019
Feel free to join https://naihub.com
Currently building momentum. Nigeria business only forum. Easy, fast and simple layout

(1) (Reply)

Which Of This Laptops Is Preferable / Does Unilag DLI or Part Time Program Offers Computer Science /Engineering? / (urgent Request) Bitcrypto Nulled Script Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.