Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? - Entertainment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? (7092 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by omar22(m): 3:20pm On Aug 06, 2010
"IJE: The Journey" is one of the very few Nigerian films with quality.

I beg jare, the shooting of the film is slightly better but the acting is the same, to crown it they decided to get interational actors / actresses with the same ability as their Nollywood counterparts, its like watching Vivica Fox during her early years,
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by VALIDATOR: 3:21pm On Aug 06, 2010
@MrBrownJay,
Please look at it this way:
The effect piracy has on the Nigerian music industry is quite different from that of the movie industry.
In music if your work is pirated and duplicated en-mass,you will become more popular and will be called more for live shows.What you can not gain in CD sales you will gain in live performances.But in movies,the money depends almost sticktly on CD/DVD sales.
Here is a quick math:
For a movie that costs 40M naira to produce,if you sell each original CD at 200 naira you will need to sell 200,000 copies to break even but the pirates will break even by selling less than a thousand pirated CDs at 100 naira each because of their much lower cost of production.They will quickly outsell you.Yet,you must fulfill your obligation to the banks.If the law of the land can not help you the only solution will then be to try minimizing your risk by doing it on low budget.

My point:
If the government is aware that the industry is big and a very important revenue generator for Nigeria,why is that industry not well protected like the banking and oil sectors?

NOTE:I am also pissed off when I see the same story line and poor quality in almost all Nigerian movies but then,good stories are a product of a well protected intellectual property and also good quality comes when the law makes it easy for you and not your enemies to reap the fruits of your labor.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by semid4lyfe(m): 3:23pm On Aug 06, 2010
BabaOnileK:

I beg to disagree, the private screenings might not be for few individuals. If you look carefully at the DVD cases you will find that movies are not meant to be shown on oil rigs, on public TV etc. So if the staff club of a company like SPDC, ExxonMobil decides to arrange screening of the movie for their staff its a part of private screening. These are previously untapped sources.

When I was in UI, Tunde Kelani used to come around to screen ThunderBolt - I can attest to the fact that he had a full house for the two shows he did daily on three different days. Infact he had to come back for a second screening one month after.

Cinema viewings are okay but there are few cinemas in the country, there is nothing stopping these producers from going to screen their movies in our universities. That is a litmus test for the acceptability of the movies.If the movie tanks after just one day then its not gonna sell at all.Just imagine showing movies in the federal institutions alone - am sure a good movie shown at NGN500 will likely make tens of millions.

That is why I said producers need business savvy and education.
True. . .I also saw Thunderbolt when it was screened at our main auditorium whilst in school.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 06, 2010
@validator
i can understand your point BUT since Nollywood is in its infancy, bringing quality work as an artist should be more important than financial gain. anyone who goes into this business for financial gain has lost the plot (judging by the dvds out there, it seems they all did).
i dont think you need THAT much more to bring the quality that is lacking in most movies.
also i thought the gov. was starting to do seizure of illegal dvd sold in markets etc

as for the poor storylines, i rest my case!
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2010
actually. . . Nollywood has been doing that of recent. Of course there are still the ones that aren't so good.
but lately they have better picture, sound, storylines, etc. . .
this is no longer Nollywood from 2007 and before, its a new thing.
I'm a Nollywood addict, so. . . lol

besides, the average home view does NOT care about the quality or whatever, just the story being told and to be entertained.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:39pm On Aug 06, 2010
supposedly Nollywood got a $20M dollar grant and recently a $30M dollar one. they need it.
also a good number of their movies have been going to theaters now instead of straight to VCD/DVD.
so they make money that way. . . although there is a need for more cinemas around the country than the only 3 they have now.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 06, 2010
^^^^ what was the grant for? given to whom?

as for the latest movies being better: i must have only watched old movies. . . . . . . . .
sound quality: horrible, especially when actors are shouting indoors.
picture quality: improving but the camera work still lacks.
lighting: horrible horrible horrible!
editing: do they even know what the word means?!

as for having the mic inside the shots, it seems to happen on EVERY movies.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:50pm On Aug 06, 2010
i don't know. . . If I'm not too lazy, I'll go and dig it up. lol
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by NAJALYN: 4:23pm On Aug 06, 2010
I guess Nollywood is being cost-conscious cos to produce quality movies will cost whooping sums of money. However, they can produce quality movies by being painstaking, & slowing down on mass production. Hollywood can spend up to 1 year to produce 1 movie. Nollywood on the other hand can produce 50 or 100 movies in 1 month. Why the rush? There is need for them to start paying attention to quality work. It will boost the image of the Industry considerably. NAJALYN
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 06, 2010
@oyinda
the problem is that, with rampant corruption in 9jaland, we are lucky if half of this money goes towards improving the image/quality of Nollywood as an industry.
maybe they should set a certain standard of movies, in which, any movie who doesnt pass the required criteria shouldnt reach the masses. . . . . . . . .but that would be too difficult to implement.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by jokingmary(m): 4:42pm On Aug 06, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

@oyinda
the problem is that, with rampant corruption in 9jaland, we are lucky if half of this money goes towards improving the image/quality of Nollywood as a industry.
maybe they should set a certain standard of movies, in which, any movie who doesnt pass the required criteria shouldnt reach the masses. . . . . . . . .but that would be too difficult to implement.

Exactly
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by huowns9ja: 4:46pm On Aug 06, 2010
IJE all the way, grin
That is the only quality nigerian movie i know
i HOPE it does not end up on AFMAG
because nollywood, is a big EYESORE.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by omar22(m): 6:01pm On Aug 06, 2010
I heard a lady talking on one of the Nigerian radio's in London, she was an actress (yoruba actress) and they asked her about one of collegues that recently passed away (this was almost a year ago)

The lady (I cant remember her name) said that, the rumour was lack of rest led to the actress's death,  that the lady has been working round the clock all year round,  which was shocking,

The lady also said that the pay was so poor that by the time the manager, agent and so many 3rd parties take their cut they are left with less than 10k naira,  I nearly choked on my food when I heard this,
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by mamagee3(f): 6:53pm On Aug 06, 2010
Not until those money hungry directors are fired. . .

Nollywood would continue to be garbage.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by kobikwelu(m): 8:15pm On Aug 06, 2010
nobody likes substandard stuff

but the nature if the market is making it so,

pirates are having a field day and most of the films produced, struggle to break even

and you expect these producers to invest millions in celluloids,

it just dont make business sense, and till the market clamps down on pirates, we would have to be content with home videos
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by reindeer: 10:42pm On Aug 06, 2010
Dont agree!
I think some people realy dont know what standards are, especially those who have been addicted to nollywood for a while.
Have you seen the way some people react while watching the movies that should make you puke?getting involved in tales that make absolutely no sense to a grown up?
I daresay they will improve when their audience improves enough to ignore totally the hogwash they churn out regularly and praise to high heavens the ones that come out with some self respect.

ONe more thing is that i think there should me a govt regulation that limits the number of movies someone can act in a year,so the artistes are more careful which scripts they accept.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Ruq: 11:42pm On Aug 06, 2010
Not just quality sound we need quality Stories not hollywood copyrited stories
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by ozaro(m): 12:07am On Aug 07, 2010
we need to face our problems one at a time.I think what we have to do first is work on our storyline;most of which are whack.Then we can focus on acting, Piracy isn't helping either.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Akosbaba(m): 1:11am On Aug 07, 2010
^^^yep,20 films talking bout poor boyfriend dating girl from a wealthy family
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Akosbaba(m): 1:12am On Aug 07, 2010
^^^yep,20 films talking bout poor boyfriend dating girl from a wealthy family
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by omar22(m): 9:02am On Aug 07, 2010
Dont agree!
I think some people realy dont know what standards are, especially those who have been addicted to nollywood for a while.
Have you seen the way some people react while watching the movies that should make you puke?getting involved in tales that make absolutely no sense to a grown up?
I daresay they will improve when their audience improves enough to ignore totally the hogwash they churn out regularly and praise to high heavens the ones that come out with some self respect.

ONe more thing is that i think there should me a govt regulation that limits the number of movies someone can act in a year,so the artistes are more careful which scripts they accept.

SPOT ON,

3 weeks ago I was watching a Nollywood movie (against my will) 30 minutes into the movie, after changing one disc to another I realised that the storyline has been cut out from one of Tyler Perry's movie, when I told the people watching the movie how it ended, they said "I thought you said you dont watch Nollywood stuff"? yeah!!! I said that I have seen the Hollywood version and the most annoying part is that they STILL couldnt execute the crucial part correctly, the acting was so fake!!!

When you hear a Hollywood or Bollywood actor/actress talk about a role, they talk about the role they are playing as if the person is sitting next to them in the same room,

But when you hear a Nollywood star talk about a role, its I I I I I or ME ME ME ME you would be hearing, I saw some clip of the famous IJE movie, when you listen to how both Omotola and Genevieve spoke in the movie, it was the same in all their previous movies, theirs a difference in acting as an Ibo lady to a yoruba lady, or acting as a rich man's wife to a poor mans wife or been a student to a middle class office worker, but Naija its the same, every role has its own character when you look at Angelina Jolie speaking like an Eastern European in a movie, or Will Smith learning how to talk like Ali, or Matt Damien and Morgan Freeman speaking like African!!!

Lets say the Role of the true live story of Fela's mother was going to be screened a nollywood director would pick anyone to play the role whether she can speak like the character or not, but a Hollywood director would look for some go inside that characters world and adopt it, We have a long way to go and we are too scared to take the first step,
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Ruq: 9:56am On Aug 07, 2010
omar22:

SPOT ON,

3 weeks ago I was watching a Nollywood movie (against my will) 30 minutes into the movie, after changing one disc to another I realised that the storyline has been cut out from one of Tyler Perry's movie, when I told the people watching the movie how it ended, they said "I thought you said you dont watch Nollywood stuff"? yeah!!! I said that I have seen the Hollywood version and the most annoying part is that they STILL couldnt execute the crucial part correctly, the acting was so fake!!!

When you hear a Hollywood or Bollywood actor/actress talk about a role, they talk about the role they are playing as if the person is sitting next to them in the same room,

But when you hear a Nollywood star talk about a role, its I I I I I or ME ME ME ME you would be hearing, I saw some clip of the famous IJE movie, when you listen to how both Omotola and Genevieve spoke in the movie, it was the same in all their previous movies, theirs a difference in acting as an Ibo lady to a yoruba lady, or acting as a rich man's wife to a poor mans wife or been a student to a middle class office worker, but Naija its the same, every role has its own character when you look at Angelina Jolie speaking like an Eastern European in a movie, or Will Smith learning how to talk like Ali, or Matt Damien and Morgan Freeman speaking like African!!!

Lets say the Role of the true live story of Fela's mother was going to be screened a nollywood director would pick anyone to play the role whether she can speak like the character or not, but a Hollywood director would look for some go inside that characters world and adopt it, We have a long way to go and we are too scared to take the first step,

I kuldnt say it better thanks!
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Aug 07, 2010
omar22:

SPOT ON,

Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by 9jafreak: 3:08pm On Aug 07, 2010
The Pretenders only have 10 more years at best

and we will be flushing them out

A Revolution is coming

Patience is what I plead.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Ranoscky(m): 3:13pm On Aug 07, 2010
Topic- Question!
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Agitator1: 4:58pm On Aug 07, 2010
omar22:

SPOT ON,

correct.

Also watched one nollywood movie and the storyline was cut from an Indian movie (Chori Chori Chupke Chupke - A story about triangular love) I had watched, but it didn't end like the indian movie. They wanted to change the concluding part to make it appear different but ended with a disjointed conclusion.

Personally the best way to tackle the piracy stuff is by showing the movie first in Cinemas, the world over there is piracy. But the indians follow the Hollywood system by first showing it in cinemas for at least a year before it is sold on Video Cassette, VCD, DVD, etc. In US most producers break even and even make profit through the cinemas before the movie is available on DVD, etc.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 07, 2010
^^^^to make a "local" remake of a Hollywood or Bollywood movie is not the problem (everyone does it, Hollywood included) as long as it is done "properly".
the problem is that Nollywood doesnt do these movies properly. they just take any concept, for example:"Tyler perry's movie about a husband who dumps his old wife for a new younger one and, after he looses his money and falls sick, the younger one leaves him and the older one is the one taking care of him" and do the Nollywood version but they lack so much in character building/depth etc that you are left with something close to garbage.

you watch a Nolly movie and within 15mins you know where this movie is going. reminds me of the opening scene of Hollywood's A TEAM movie (with the mexican gang) that lasted 20 long minutes just for the audience to understand what kind of individuals the movie was going to be about!
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by SeanT21(f): 6:22pm On Aug 07, 2010
Ghanaian movies are improving compare to Nollywood. "A sting in a tale", "heart of men", "Who loves me?", "Chelsea", etc are wonderful films with beautiful storyline.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by shollybest: 7:21pm On Aug 07, 2010
Quality means expending more money on production but how would they reap that investment back in the face of the power of piracy and pirates?
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by mamagee3(f): 7:30pm On Aug 07, 2010
SeanT21:

Ghanaian movies are improving compare to Nollywood. "A sting in a tale", "heart of men", "Who loves me?", "Chelsea", etc are wonderful films with beautiful storyline.
That's what happens when a coun try fails without repair.
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by oladayo042: 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2010
Yoruba movies (with some exceptions) are always far from it, 7 in 10 films will always have a Babalawo scene (though not well performed). They always reminisce the 17th century
Re: When will nollywood lay emphasis on quality? by shanktang(m): 6:23am On Aug 08, 2010
Unfortunately the quality of these nollywood films will remain low for a very long time that we cannot even foresee, the average common man that is  crazy about the films do not know nor care about quality, they are more in villages and the deep nooks n cranies, they don't watch hollywood movies to give them a basis for comparism on what they watch locally, even wen they have all opportunities of watching these forign films they never go for them, co's they don't enjoy them, they just want to see stories they can relate wth real life situations, they don't even know about diversification of movies,they lack ability to criticise anj judge quality, and the core of them are largely in the majority who buy these movies, hence the producers will never change, because of these low quality individuals they keep on smilling to the bank, not seeing anything wrong wth their movies, hence there will not be any improvement, but a lot of more bragging and self proclamations of mediocar achievements for a very long time to come is what we will witness. Believe ye me, nothing at all is going to change in the direction of quality, very unfortunate.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHOTO: Wild Girls Strip Iyanya Right On Stage / Who Is The Founder Of 2go / Woman With The Largest Butt Implants In The World (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.