Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,525 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported (1067 Views)

Man Deported After Confessing His Immigration Status To UK Catholic Priest / Cost Of Relocating Alone Or With Your Family From Nigeria To Uk/ Student Route / Man Saves A Family From Falling Inside A Ditch With Their Car (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported by ultimatebas(m): 11:42am On Dec 25, 2018
A non-stop church service in the Netherlands — aimed at stopping an Armenian family from being deported — has become so popular it has issued tickets for the Christmas period to control numbers.

The service has been going around the clock since October 26 — more than 1,400 hours.

Under Dutch law, police officers are not permitted to enter a church while a religious service is taking place. So, church leaders hatched the idea of meeting non-stop to prevent the Tamrazyan’s from being removed from the country.

Since then, hundreds of pastors and volunteers have taken part in the service.

Axel Wicke from the Bethel church and community center in The Hague told CNN the service has become something of a “pilgrimage” for people across the Netherlands.

“We have had to account for so many people who want to visit during Christmas,” Wicke said, adding that two of the services are being streamed on Christmas eve and Christmas Day.

The Tamrazyans have lived in the Netherlands for almost nine years, but their claim for political asylum was rejected. The Dutch Minister for Migration, Mark Harbers, has so far refused to use his discretionary powers to intervene and allow them to stay. His office declined to specifically discuss the case when contacted by CNN.

Last week, the church said it was disappointed by the Minister’s inaction and vowed to continue the service.

“Just before Christmas, when we celebrate Gods humanity-loving and peaceful deeds, we feel strengthened not to forsake our responsibility for the Tamrazyan family,” Rev. Theo Hettema, chair of the Protestant Church The Hague, said in a statement.

He says the church provided an “extensive file with new information” to the Minister to help convince him of the family’s case.

21-year-old Hayarpi — the oldest daughter in the family of five — said on Twitter she has been encouraged by the full attendance at the church.

Speaking to Reuters earlier this month, she said: “I really don’t know what the outcome will be, but we hope we can stay here (in the Netherlands), because this is our home, this is where we belong. And my brother, my sister and I, we grew up in the Netherlands and we have been living here for almost nine years.”

This Christmas season, though, the family will spend time together holed up in a church that has offered them sanctuary, hoping and praying for a Christmas miracle.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/12/24/europe/non-stop-church-service-netherlands-armenia-intl/index.html

1 Like

Re: Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported by bobbybrown007: 11:58am On Dec 25, 2018
Hmmmmmm, dats very very, I don't no what to say
Re: Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported by elderken(m): 12:32pm On Dec 25, 2018
Sense
Re: Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported by speedyconnect3: 12:46pm On Dec 25, 2018
Only oyibo loves deeply. Imagine since october 26.
Chai.

I wish i was oyibo.

1 Like

Re: Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported by Mizwisdom(f): 12:49pm On Dec 25, 2018
speedyconnect3:
Only oyibo loves deeply. Imagine since october 26.
Chai.

I wish i was oyibo.

sad only an unexposed person will say this. People of all color love

1 Like

Re: Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported by jesmond3945: 6:35pm On Dec 25, 2018
Mizwisdom:

sad only an unexposed person will say this. People of all color love
na lie if oyibo love they love deep if they hate they hate deep unlike us who pretend to love only if we have something to offer.
Re: Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported by ultimatebas(m): 7:04pm On Dec 25, 2018
I call this DIVINE love. Love that is colour,race and status blind.
Re: Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported by Kenekingisback: 8:38pm On Dec 25, 2018
But where is lalasticlala sef shocked
Re: Dutch Church Goes Over 1,400 Hours To Prevent Family From Being Deported by chukxie(m): 2:34am On Dec 26, 2018
That's the white man for you. By white man I mean true loving and selfless white folks not those WS white supremacists eejats.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US / How Much Do You Think You Can Be Earning In Nigeria And You Won't Consider Japa / Escape From American ‘hell’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.