Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,154 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

What Has 2018 Taught You? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Has 2018 Taught You? (8727 Views)

What’s The Biggest Lesson Being Broke Has Taught You / What Has 2021 Taught You / What has 2019 taught you as an Entrepreneur? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by Nobody: 2:25am On Dec 28, 2018
1. Always trust in Jehovah 2. to be content 3. Not to relying on material things for happiness.

1 Like

Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by Nobody: 2:27am On Dec 28, 2018
momove4real25:
It taught me to always stand firm on any good decision.
Never live for anyone
Learnt to be independent
Never blame anyone for ur failure.

I am motivated.

1 Like

Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 5:40am On Dec 28, 2018
Vibesking:
My 2018 was mostly marked by depression.
Working hard and not seeing results for your input can leave you doubting your capabilities. Knowing you're supposed to have attained a certain feat in your life but you're still struggling to set sail.
Nonetheless, 2018 has taught me perseverance, patience and character. These are attributes I never would have learnt if I hadn't encountered the set backs I faced this year.
2018 taught me never to depend on anyone. Never to build my happiness on people's approval, and never to stop believing that tomorrow would be better than today.
I made mistakes, and I learnt as well. I failed, but I got back up. In all, 2018 has been fruitful since I got to discover I possessed strength I never thought I had.

Patience, Perseverence, Character?
I love these. You just mentioned 2 attritutes of the Character called Fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23.
I pray you learnt Humility too. That is the whole essence of our struggles in life. To be humbled.
You will be amazed hiow proud everyone is.
Don't get me wrong, pride is not always obvious.
But you'll get it when you start paying attention to being More Humble.
God bless you and have a blessed 2019.

1 Like

Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 5:42am On Dec 28, 2018
iamloyalty:
1. Always trust in Jehovah
2. to be content
3. Not to relying on material things for happiness.

Preach sistah. You're so right.
Lust is our problem. Contentment is the solution as we channel our desire and focus to pursuing the Knowledge and likeness of God through Christ.
Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 6:15am On Dec 28, 2018
Olamsoh:
Suicides piss me off. I can't explain it but once I hear a person took their own life I get fucking mad. We're out here trying to stay alive and you just took your own life you ungrateful little Bleep. You shouldn't have had that life to begin with, someone else deserved it.
social media has presented suicide as a considerable option. You ask how? You see how much love, care and support is on display when a person commits suicide? That's a major problem. We pamper suicides too much, thus letting it have its way.

That's aside, they think it's a solution to their problems. What nonsense. You guys have been pampered enough, you need someone to talk sense I to you. Your problems don't go away, only you do and most times it's transferred to a person who's unprepared.

They, in turn, get frustrated because they inherited problems they aren't prepared for and when it starts to seem like nothing is working, suicide starts to look good and since someone they know and probably looked up to did it, well, the cycle continues. I've joined campaigns to stop suicide. I've begged, I've pleaded, and people are still taking their own life. I wish life can be transferred, I won't think twice about transferring that life to someone who actually wanted to live but isn't alive right now.

Honestly, if you don't want to annoy me, keep anything relating to suicides away. I don't want to hear or see that a person, no matter the reason, took their own life. Don't give me any speech about depression, I know about depression, I fought the damn thing and I had nobody.

Don't tell me people aren't as strong as I am because that's bullshit. We're strong in our different ways and you have no idea how strong you really are until it's the only option you have left. Suicide is never an option. People have been through far worse and came out on top.

So don't tell me any crap about me being insensitive or I don't understand. I understand perfectly well that they are ungrateful and undeserving
If you have mental/psychological issues, find help. People are willing to help for free. Friends, even strangers want you to stay alive & you still want to die. You're very mad and you deserve to burn in hell for putting the people you leave behind through such emotional torture.

There's always a way out. I mean always, no exceptions whatsoever. Even if you choose to not believe in God your options are still numerous, but, no, you won't think that way instead you think of giving up completely, you idiot.

Go to a hospital and donate your organs, you'll save lives. People need those organs. At the very least, give your death meaning.
If you're reading this and you're still contemplating suicide for whatever reason, I want you to know that you're very cruel and very ungrateful. I made this thread of my own volition, out of the irritation of how we've accommodated the idea of taking one's own life. I will not tolerate or pamper it anymore. You don't own the life, you didn't give it to yourself, God did and you insult Him by taking it so meaninglessly.

To the guy that lost his girlfriend to suicide yesterday being a day after Christmas, I'm sorry you had to go through that. You didn't deserve it and you should've known but don't listen to anyone blaming you for not knowing. It wasn't your fault. She made a choice on her own.
A lot of you disagree, but that's okay. Let me put in another angle. Let's take suicide off the table. Imagine humans are immortal and cannot be killed, what do you think will happen? You think they won't find a way to deal with whatever issues they have? You guys are joking..

I don't know how to react to this.
I used to be very depressive and at those periods, no one, nothing about this life seemed worth living. I had lost hope to be successful, all I saw was a continuous life of struggles.
I had a good job, i had people who loved me but I was just in a dark mental and emotional space.
I went from from having a very promising future to a bleak future, compounded by loss of a very lucrative job and the frustrations of Nigeria's labour market for a 2.2 graduate in his late 20s.
I would get so depressed and break up any relationship I was as I just needed to be alone. I even got myself in a double-dating situation and broke it off with both about the same time. Another time I slept with a stripper unprotected and put my self at sexual risks just because I didn't care anymore. I was living recklessly, drinking just to survive everyday of life.

Through it all, the only thought that kept me from commuting suicide was the thought of my mom. I hated the idea of her losing 1 of her only 2 children.
I decided I would try to stay alive for her. Every depressed person needs to know that their life matter to someone and their death would hurt someone so much. They shouldn't be thinking of themselves alone.

I eventually got myself in deeper mess and found myself dating a married woman. But in all these I was living in the fear of eventually dying one way or another. If the alcohol didn't give me kidney disease, the adultery would when I got caught or I would get some STD and my misery would end.
Honestly I was just so lost and being a danger to myself and others.
Yet on the surface you could never tell all these was going on. Only very few close colleagues knew something was wrong. Most people saw a good, gentle, guy on the surface.
That's why I don't ever judge anything or anyone on the surface. People are going through things behind the facade and fake social media lifestyle.

My life really started to take a shape when I decided to go and know Jesus late 2017. It was that simple.
2018 was my year of so much trials and victories.
I dropped drinking, dropped sex and masturbation,, dropped major habits that seemed impossible to stop.
Out of Love for God.
When you truly start knowing God, there's no way you won't fall love with Him.
You will willingly start sacrificing your former pleasures for more of His Love, Intimacy and Knowledge and in the name of what He's calling you into.

I really didn't go to church for miracles, I had given up and settled for my struggling life except maybe if he can help, why not. I just wanted to know who Jesus Christ is. I wanted to understand why some people believed in Him so much. I wanted to experience Him personally. And truly, I began to encounter Him and He humbled me.

So is depression real? Certainly yes.
Is suicide the answer? Certainly no.
Do I judge suicide victims? Who am I to judge anyone?
But is there a better option than suicide? Far better.
It's not only God that is the answer.
In my case, I resorted to drinking, others resort to drugs (prescriptions or abuse), some resort to rehab, some even resort to burying themselves in long hour jobs so they won't face their problems, etc.
But I can confirm categorically that Jesus is the best Solution.
May the Grace, Peace and Joy of the LORD locate and fill every depressed heart and give us all hope again in Jesus name.
Amen.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by noble71(m): 7:44am On Dec 28, 2018
SueZuckerberg:

Eyaah!!! Hmm! So, so sorry for your loss Joachim. Take heart.
Tanks bro. ahhh! You just called my name please can I know you? grin
Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by Olamsoh: 7:46am On Dec 28, 2018
Well Said!
pressplay411:

I don't know how to react to this.
I used to be very depressive and at those periods, no one, nothing about this life seemed worth living. I had lost hope to be successful, all I saw was a continuous life of struggles.
I had a good job, i had people who loved me but I was just in a dark mental and emotional space.
I went from from having a very promising future to a bleak future, compounded by loss of a very lucrative job and the frustrations of Nigeria's labour market for a 2.2 graduate in his late 20s.
I would get so depressed and break up any relationship I was as I just needed to be alone. I even got myself in a double-dating situation and broke it off with both about the same time. Another time I slept with a stripper unprotected and put my self at sexual risks just because I didn't care anymore. I was living recklessly, drinking just to survive everyday of life.

Through it all, the only thought that kept me from commuting suicide was the thought of my mom. I hated the idea of her losing 1 of her only 2 children.
I decided I would try to stay alive for her. Every depressed person needs to know that their life matter to someone and their death would hurt someone so much. They shouldn't be thinking of themselves alone.

I eventually got myself in deeper mess and found myself dating a married woman. But in all these I was living in the fear of eventually dying one way or another. If the alcohol didn't give me kidney disease, the adultery would when I got caught or I would get some STD and my misery would end.
Honestly I was just so lost and being a danger to myself and others.
Yet on the surface you could never tell all these was going on. Only very few close colleagues knew something was wrong. Most people saw a good, gentle, guy on the surface.
That's why I don't ever judge anything or anyone on the surface. People are going through things behind the facade and fake social media lifestyle.

My life really started to take a shape when I decided to go and know Jesus late 2017. It was that simple.
2018 was my year of so much trials and victories.
I dropped drinking, dropped sex and masturbation,, dropped major habits that seemed impossible to stop.
Out of Love for God.
When you truly start knowing God, there's no way you won't fall love with Him.
You will willingly start sacrificing your former pleasures for more of His Love, Intimacy and Knowledge and in the name of what He's calling you into.

I really didn't go to church for miracles, I had given up and settled for my struggling life except maybe if he can help, why not. I just wanted to know who Jesus Christ is. I wanted to understand why some people believed in Him so much. I wanted to experience Him personally. And truly, I began to encounter Him and He humbled me.

So is depression real? Certainly yes.
Is suicide the answer? Certainly no.
Do I judge suicide victims? Who am I to judge anyone?
But is there a better option than suicide? Far better.
It's not only God that is the answer.
In my case, I resorted to drinking, others resort to drugs (prescriptions or abuse), some resort to rehab, some even resort to burying themselves in long hour jobs so they won't face their problems, etc.
But I can confirm categorically that Jesus is the best Solution.
May the Grace, Peace and Joy of the LORD locate and fill every depressed heart and give us all hope again in Jesus name.
Amen.
Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by Vibesking(m): 9:19am On Dec 28, 2018
pressplay411:

Patience, Perseverence, Character?
I love your these. You just mentioned 2 attritutes of the Character called Fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23.
I pray you learnt Humility too. That is the whole essence of our struggles in life. To be humbled.
You will be amazed hiow proud everyone is.
Don't get me wrong, pride is not always obvious.
But you'll get it when you start paying attention to being More Humble.
God bless you and have a blessed 2019.
I'm currently working on humility. Especially towards God.
Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by biztip: 10:11am On Dec 28, 2018
even if I have not learnt anything this year I have learnt from what u all DT commented learnt. thanks
Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 28, 2018
Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by SueZuckerberg: 2:40pm On Dec 28, 2018
noble71:
Tanks bro. ahhh! You just called my name please can I know you? grin

I don't want to disclose info like name, address etc, on a public forum but you can hit me up haha!
Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 9:30pm On Dec 28, 2018
Vibesking:

I'm currently working on humility. Especially towards God.

Seems you modified your comment.
Anyway, as you righty adjudged, it is pride.
I'm unable to understand you though.
You believe in God, you just don't see why you need Him for your success?
Re: What Has 2018 Taught You? by pressplay411(m): 9:32pm On Dec 28, 2018
Tadhg:
This year is one I will never forget. Much have I learned about life and death, about others, and most importantly, about myself. I could write a thesis, but let me not bore you.

Only you? Grabs pop corn.
Share, a lickle pls.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria, Others To Get AFREXIM Bank’s $25bn Grant / How To Accelerate The Growth Of Your Startup / Access Bank's Poor Customer Service: Bad Management?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.