Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,833 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? (3845 Views)

Why Do Bible Have Different Versions With Different Meanings / Real Image Of King James Of KJV1611 / Shakesphear's Name In The King James Bible Spelled Backwards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by grailife(m): 5:10am On Aug 07, 2010
While browsing, I came across this wonderful explanation for the above question, Hope it will be some use to somebody. . . Seriously, I knew that Catholic bible had more books, But I didn't know the reason. . . Now I know. The New Testament canon of the Catholic Bible and the Protestant Bible are the same with 27 books. The difference in the old testaments actually goes back to the time before and during Christ's Life. At this time, there was no official Jewish canon of the scripture. The Jews in Egypt translated their choices of the Hebrew scriptures into Greek in the second century before Christ. This translation of 46 books, called the septuagint had wide use in the Roman world because most Jews lived far from palestine in Greek Cities. Many of these Jews spoke only Greek.
The early Christian Church was born into the world. The Church, with its bilingual Jews and more & more Greek - speaking Gentiles used the books of the septuagint as its Bible. Remember the early Christians were just writing the documents what would become the New Testament. After the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem, with increasing persecution from the Romans and the competition from the fledgling Christian Church, the Jewish leaders came together and declared its official canon of scripture, eliminating seven books from the septuagint. The books removed were tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Wisdom ( of solomon ), Sirach and Baruch. Parts of exististing books were also removed including psalm 151 ( from psalms ) parts of the book of Esther, Susanna ( from Daniel as chapter 13 ) and Bel and the Dragon ( from Daniel as chapter 14 ).
The Christian Church filled with the Holy Spirit did not follow suit but kept all the books in the septuagint 46 + 27 = 73 books total.
1500 years later, protestants decided to keep the Catholic New Testament but change its old testament from the Catholic canon to the Jewish canon.
The books that were removed supported such things as
* Prayer for the dead ( tobit 12 : 12 ; 2 Maccabees 12 : 39 - 45).
* Purgatory ( Wisdom 3 : 1 - 7 ).
* Intercession of Saints in heaven ( 2 Maccabees 15 : 14 ).
* Intercession of Angels ( Tobit 12 : 12 - 15 ).
The books they dropped are also called the Apocrypha.
Source : Yahoo Answers
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by grailife(m): 9:18pm On Aug 07, 2010
We must hold Protestants "in great affection and love them very truly, excluding all thoughts and feelings tending to discredit them. We must also win their good will and love by friendly conversation about matters on which we do not differ, taking care to avoid all controversial subjects that lead to bickering and mutual recrimination. The things that unite us ought to be the very basis of our approach, not the things that keep us apart."
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by Enigma(m): 11:25pm On Aug 07, 2010
Here is an interesting piece albeit from an Orthodox perspective http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/septuag.htm
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by aletheia(m): 12:14am On Aug 08, 2010
^^^That was an interesting read! Raises all sorts of interesting implications with regard to the Septuagint and our "modern" translations of the OT which are based on the Hebrew Masoretic Text (perhaps a revision arising out of the Jews rejection of the Messiah?) What's your take on the issue?
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by Nobody: 4:41am On Aug 08, 2010
Actually, you need to have a look at the Ethiopian Orthodox Bible. It has several books in it not found in other bibles. My particular favorite being the book of Enoch which only exist in bits and pieces in the Hebrew and Greek copies. I am not a believer but I find ancient stories like the one in Enoch a fascinating read. Also there are discrepancies between it and other bibles such as in the stories about Solomon.
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by maclatunji: 10:17am On Aug 08, 2010
The answer to your question is simple. The Bible is written by man, so people have a right do add or remove whatever they like so you have things like: Womens-Bible, Gay-Bible, Comedy-Bible (Ask Teju Babyface for a copy) and so on.

I will not be surprised if in future we have Aborisha-Bible.
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by Enigma(m): 1:13pm On Aug 08, 2010
aletheia:

^^^That was an interesting read! Raises all sorts of interesting implications with regard to the Septuagint and our "modern" translations of the OT which are based on the Hebrew Masoretic Text (perhaps a revision arising out of the Jews rejection of the Messiah?) What's your take on the issue?

I also found it quite interesting. I certainly would like to see a western Christian (new) version of the Old Testament using the Septuagint and/or the textual tradition on which it is based (if only the manuscipts can be found). One thing though, that the Septuagint (compiled 100-300 years even before the advent of Christ) is the way it is testifies quite powerfully to the Christian message; that it was compiled by Jewish rabbis, who were not "Christians", is powerful attestation that the gospel and testimony of Christ is not just a fable. I am inclined to support/accept the view expressed that the Holy Spirit guided the compilers of the Septuagint. I also find of great significance the fact that Jesus Christ Himself and the writers of the gospels and epistles tended to quote predominantly from the Septuagint.

Having said all of that, I do not think that having our current Old Testament based on the Masoretic tradition is in itself a necessarily bad thing; despite the "marked" differences, we can see that the esential message and overall doctrine of the Old Testament is the same ---- whether as expressed in the Masoretic textual tradition or the Septuagint tradition. A very positive spin that has been put on this is that the "differences" in ancient manuscripts show that really the writers were not trying to create falsehoods otherwise you might have had everything tailor-made to "agree". I do realise that some will say that - 'but the Jews and the Christians each had reasons to put their spin on things'. Then we will ask again if the Septuagint was produced by Christians.
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by aletheia(m): 2:35pm On Aug 08, 2010
^I agree with you. I also found of great significance that Jesus Himself and the gospel writers quoted from the Septuagint. Interestingly there is a bible version based on the Septuagint:The Apostolic Bible and The Apostolic Bible Polyglot (the interlinear version). (I did a little searching after reading the article). The Apostolic Bible can be downloaded as one of the modules of the free Xiphos Bible Software. The interesting thing was I'd already acquired the Apostolic Bible just a couple of days before reading your post.
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by nopuqeater: 2:55pm On Aug 08, 2010
@Aletheia; is it possible that the whole truth about Jesus son of Mary is laid out somewhere else, and not in any Bible? After all, why would the adherents who lay claim on this man as their sole focus object have so much divisions? But Jesus himself said 'Jesus your servant who You send'. How then you make him that Sender?
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by aletheia(m): 3:24pm On Aug 08, 2010
nopuqeater:

@Aletheia; is it possible that the whole truth about Jesus son of Mary is laid out somewhere else, and not in any Bible?
Where, outside of the Bible is the truth about Jesus of Nazareth?

nopuqeater:

After all, why would the adherents who lay claim on this man as their sole focus object have so much divisions? But Jesus himself said 'Jesus your servant who You send'. How then you make him that Sender?
^What do you mean by divisions? Please explain.
Or are you rather referring to the different denominations that abound? I hope you realize the English saying: those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones? Are there also no divisions in Islam? Ahmadiyya, Sunni, Shi'a, Sufi, Alawites, Baha'i etc. One Islamic scholar goes as far as listing 70+ sects in Islam!
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by nopuqeater: 6:01pm On Aug 08, 2010
@Aletheia: « #9 on: Today at 03:24:29 PM »
Quote from: nopuqeater on Today at 02:55:49 PM
@Aletheia; is it possible that the whole truth about Jesus son of Mary is laid out somewhere else, and not in any Bible?
Where, outside of the Bible is the truth about Jesus of Nazareth?
Quran.

Quote from: nopuqeater on Today at 02:55:49 PM
After all, why would the adherents who lay claim on this man as their sole focus object have so much divisions? But Jesus himself said 'Jesus your servant who You send'. How then you make him that Sender?
^What do you mean by divisions? Please explain.
Or are you rather referring to the different denominations that abound? I hope you realize the English saying: those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones? Are there also no divisions in Islam? Ahmadiyya, Sunni, Shi'a, Sufi, Alawites, Baha'i etc. One Islamic scholar goes as far as listing 70+ sects in Islam!
Some Christian denominations say that Jesus is God, son of God,Messenger, Prophet, etc. This belief seem to be the buck of Chritendom. However, some sects belief he is God and son of God and not Messenger or Prophet (different from the people above). Yet others belief that Jesus is not God but son of God, Messenger, Prophet, etc (The Jehovah witness sect is in this group). Yet others were drummed out and hence the sect died out as Islam until recently died out of Spain. This dead Christian sect[s] were the first people to follow the teaching of Jesus, they were his disciples, the apostles minus Paul, if you will. They say Jesus was a servant of God Who sent him, the servant to deliver His Message to the Children of Israel who call you< Aletheia, Precap2, Yefet, Toba, etc, A demeaning name; Gentile. (see Youtube video: An OLD Bible found in Palestine confirms the Quran story true - Islam is right about Essa (PBUH).
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by nopuqeater: 6:28pm On Aug 08, 2010
And the yardstick of Islam is that a Muslim must accept Quran in Arabic and authentic Hadith. If not just saying he/she is a muslim, is just that; a saying. Personal desire.

Two weeks ago, I went to watch the sunset on a beach in Queens New York, many mile after the JFK Airport. I ran to an old man who wore a T shirt with "Imagine that!!!" at the back. When he returned I started up a conversation with him based on this. But when he turned to me to respond, in front was the word "There is no God save Allah". SO I said you are a Muslim, eehn? He said yes. SO I gave him salaam.

As he responded, I noticed that there was like a spaceship insigna under the front. So I asked what it meant, which he declared that he was a member of Chicago inspired Nation of Islam under Elijah Muhammad and also a member of the masonic order. You now we began to talk about these two organizations being a forbidden thing for true Muslims.

In his ignorance, he said that America must have to have her own "Prophet and Messenger of Islam". My response to him were of two folds; If every nation wanted her own Messenger and Prophet of Islam, shouldnt every nation has her own God different from Allah, her own sets of Angels, hers own book of different from Quran, her own Religion different from Islam and her own Prophet and Messenger different from Muhammad? What happens when another nation rises up and becomes the America of today as England of yesterday? Wouldnt that nation and her people be arrogant and naive with delusion and ask for the same thing? Where is an end to the arrogance which is really madness?

The second part is this, if a nation can ask for te above sets of provocation away from the Original Islam, why not everyone has his or her own sets then? So the number of these things, the sets of belief shall be as many as the nuber of people living on earth, So when a person dies, his or her brand of religion will die with him or her. So there are many Gods as there are people and many Gods fading away as there are people dying.

Is this what religion is all about? Definitely Islam is not like that, since Allah is our Almighty Creator and the religion is COMPLETED on Muhammad, who is the final messenger and seals ofd prophets to mankind. We have the same Quibla; The kaaba in masjid haram in Makka. We have Quran and there are 5 Salah per day. Charity compulsory and voluntary are enjoined. Fasting is commanded (Ramadhan is approaching just merely days away). Hajj and Umrah for those wealthy and strong to make it. Whil all the while doing good as much as you can, of what you have; self and resources.

This is Islam. Anything outside Islam of Muhammad (AS) is not.
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by ow11(m): 7:03pm On Aug 08, 2010
^^^^

Why did you write (AS) after Mohammed's name? What does it mean? Also, which is correct, Spelling it with a 'u' or an 'o'?
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by nopuqeater: 7:06pm On Aug 08, 2010
And when you can present a single Bible that will go far back to what Jesus or his Companions left and can recognize, in the original language of which it was spoken, then you are beginning to make inroad of dialogue with me. Lets leave the identity variations of Jesus among those who call themselves "Christians", till you resolve this "One Bible Text for all issue". As I live in New York, I cant but mention to you that we know of the Jesuits whose beginning was somewhere in Upstate New York farm, claiming that Joseph Smith is a prophet and Moroni is an Angel and what is Jesus (?). We also have the Watch Tower people looming large in Brooklyn with their Mega Building (I think it is sold now) around the Brooklyn Bridge in the vicinity of the revitalized neighborhood now known as "Dumbo", which used to be less than "Manhattan Bowery of the 1960s through the 80s.
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by nopuqeater: 7:19pm On Aug 08, 2010
@OW11: « #12 on: Today at 07:03:38 PM » (Good and Curios Questions. I like that).
^^^^
Why did you write (AS) after Mohammed's name?
I am commanded by Allah to send salutations on Muhammad (AS), and not to discriminate on all the Messenger and Prophets of Allah. So I will write it the same on every one of them, Jesus son of Mary (AS), included.

What does it mean?
It means Peaces and Blessing of Allah on them. A confirmation of what is certain. It is a way of acquiring good deeds for me. It is similar to my saying Laa ila ha Ilallah, everytime. Though I have already believed. My repeating it is a reaffirmation and a blessing for my soul, my heart, my tongue and my whole essence.

Also, which is correct, Spelling it with a 'u' or an 'o'?
It is not an english word, so you write it as it sounds to you. It is the sound that matters. Now as an Arabic word it has Miim, Haa, double Miim, and a Daal (English; MHMMD). Some people even say Mohammed, Muhammed. But Arabic in the Quran is Muhammad. There is a verse titled "MUHAMMAD" (Aleyhi Salaam; AS).
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by aletheia(m): 12:32am On Aug 09, 2010
nopuqeater:

Quran.
^You wish. The qur'an is but a hodge podge of fables from the Talmud, pagan sources et al, parts of which were even eaten by a goat in a boudoir!

nopuqeater:

Some Christian denominations say that Jesus is God, son of God,Messenger, Prophet, etc. This belief seem to be the buck of Chritendom. However, some sects belief he is God and son of God and not Messenger or Prophet (different from the people above). Yet others belief that Jesus is not God but son of God, Messenger, Prophet, etc (The Jehovah witness sect is in this group). Yet others were drummed out and hence the sect died out as Islam until recently died out of Spain. This dead Christian sect[s] were the first people to follow the teaching of Jesus, they were his disciples, the apostles minus Paul, if you will. They say Jesus was a servant of God Who sent him, the servant to deliver His Message to the Children of Israel who call you< Aletheia, Precap2, Yefet, Toba, etc, A demeaning name; Gentile. (see Youtube video: An OLD Bible found in Palestine confirms the  Quran story true - Islam is right about Essa (PBUH).
Gentile is not a demeaning name as far as I am concerned for that is part of my identity to the glory of God. BUt you being outside of God's covenant of mercy in Jesus of Nazareth wouldn't understand that. Both Jews and Gentiles are reconciled to God at the Cross where Jesus died for our sins.

Galatians 3:10-14. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

I noticed your side-stepping of the fact that Islam is riven by divisions into sects. Jesus is more than a messenger, more than a prophet (as your Islamic views lead you to keep referring to him). He is the Son of the Living God.

Matthew 16:13-17
When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar–jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

The question of who you say Jesus is; is the question that divides the mass of humanity. Do you think Muslims are the first to refer to Jesus as "one of the prophets"? You are merely following the majority. But for the true disciples of Jesus: He is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. And they are blessed because it is only our Heavenly Father that can reveal that to any man.
If you are sincere and not merely blinded by the indoctrination of religion (whether Islam or Christianity) then pray to the One True God to reveal to you the truth, for only He can show you that Jesus is the Son of God. Words, arguments will not do so. But I fear that you have hardened your heart like Pharaoh against the truth.

John 14:6. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

May God bless you.
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by chyz(m): 6:28am On Aug 09, 2010
One word, CORRUPTED.
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by TheClown: 9:59am On Aug 09, 2010
Kai Nopuquiter, what is your problem? Why is it that you always come to derail every interesting topic? Do you think that its all about how you feel? Do you think its all about Islam and argument and all? Please there are times we Christians want to discuss our own things so that we can be better informed and when I mean better informed, I don't men from the Quran.
Please, don't allow anyone to insult your religion and Holy book!
Re: Why Does The Catholic Bible Have More Books Than King James? by jamace(m): 2:52pm On Aug 09, 2010
Even the Catholic Bible is not complete. Have you heard about "The Lost Books Of The Bible"? It contains some of the books edited from the Catholic Bible. In "The Lost Books Of The Bible" , you will find answers to some baffling Christian hsitory questions. For instance, you will find the answer to the question "where was Jesus between ages 12 and 30"?

On the other hand, The Muslim Quoran, apart from containing some books of the present bible (Revised Standard Version), contains most of the books of "The Lost Books Of The Bible".

From my study of the Quoran, it seems to be an EDITED version of the Bible (Please, nobody should crucify me. It is my personal observation. If in doubt, look at the books of the Quoran and their content.) The Bible was before the Quoran.

Finally, I wish to say that, man is man and will always accept or devise only those things pleasant to himself. Which ever religion you chose, abide by it and do what is right. I pray God accept us based on our deeds and NOT on our religions.

SHALOM.

(1) (Reply)

Yet Another Nairaland Christian Accepts The Bible Is Not All "inspired" / Leadership Training Programme At R.c.c.g Camp / See What Bishop Oyedepo Says On His Retirement After Adeboye Stepped Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.