|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,778,941 members, 6,622,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 December 2021 at 05:37 PM
|How To Become A Successful Dog Breeder by logadims: 8:28pm On Dec 28, 2018|
First and foremost, dog breeding can be profitable; but dog breeding can also be loss-making or simply break you even. Obviously, just like with every activity from farming to a Doctor, the execution matters more than the idea.
Breeding dogs is not for the faint of heart. It’s like parenting. You don’t go into it blindly – though many people make this mistake and end up being terrible at it. Breeding dogs is a professional and humane undertaking. You have to go into this armed with a real love of animals, cash (good Dogs won’t come cheap), and a desire to breed dogs for the right reasons and according to ethical standards. Of course, when done right and following ethical standards, breeding dogs can be financially-rewarding as well. However, don’t quit your day job, as you will find that this won’t happen overnight and can be a rather fickle and sometimes heart-breaking venture.
When breeding dogs, you have to consider the following:
1. Know the type of dog you’d like to breed: In Nigeria, the most popular breeds are German Shepherd, *Rottweiler*, Mastiff breeds (BoerBoel, Bull mastiff), Lhasa Apso, Caucasian and Labrador. Why do you need to know? Because you will need pet lovers to buy those puppies when you breed them, right?
2. Take into account your chemistry with the dog you wish to breed: Your personality and the dog’s should mesh through and through even during rough spots in the breeding process. Yes, even in the dog world, chemistry is everything.
3. Know your potential market by researching on how large your market share is, the demand for the dog you plan to breed, and how much your market pays for such a breed.
4.Become friends with established and reputable dog breeders who can mentor you about this. You cannot go at this alone and it will take someone who has been in this longer than you have. In fact, do this before making a decision about which breed you will go for.
5. Purchase a dog with the best possible lineage (Pedigree). Ask questions about the dog’s parental history, genetics, behavior issues, and health issues, among others. It’s also ideal to purchase your dog from a respected breeder than a puppy mill. The former does this for the love of it while the latter does it for money alone. DNA analysis is also a tool you can use when pedigree is not known.
6. Get the advice of a good veterinarian when it comes to canine health, housing, and grooming. The kind of veterinarian that specializes in breeds. Better still work in tandem with a veterinarian and an experienced breeder. Dogs breed and spawn best when they are healthy and happy.
7. Participate in pet shows & Seminars not because it’s a popularity or beauty contest of sorts but because this is an educational tool that will give you the opportunity to observe other breeds and improve your dog’s line as well.
8. Immerse yourself fully into stages like whelping or even C-sections. Prepare yourself for this eventuality by asking your veterinarian or fellow breeder to allow you to witness or participate on this process first-hand.
9. Prepare to advertise your business – Social medias like Instagram, imo, Facebook are excellent tools and guess what? They are free!
10. Get to know your buyers, ensure that your puppies are going into a good family, and even when your puppies have been taken into a new family, become an ever-present part of your puppies’ life like a real biological parent.
If you seriously embark on these pertinent steps and become a sound businessman while also being an animal lover, in the long term, this will make great returns both financially and on repeat buyers.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52