Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? (4844 Views)

Poll: Who is the greatest footballer of all time?

Maradona: 52% (18 votes)
Pele: 47% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Sergio Aguero End Four Years Marriage Relationship With Diego Maradona’s Daughte / Has Lionel Messi Surpassed The Status Of Pele, Maradona Or Zidane? / Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by cooljoe(m): 12:08pm On Apr 17, 2007
Who is the greatest player ever, Pele or Maradona?

My pick anytime, any day remains Maradona. I think he is a much better player than Pele.

All the fuss about Pele is simply because he won three world cups. I know it's no mean feat, but he was only a member of those winning Brazilian teams. He can,t be the greatest simply because of that.

Maradona won the world cup as well and went on to play for prominent European clubs like Barcelona and Naples. Your pick, but to me Maradona's only rival for the title is Zinedine Zidane.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by iniowei: 11:33am On Apr 19, 2007
I think Zidane is as good as it gets, though my pick remains Maradona, Pele is okay but first things first.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by dblock(m): 12:50pm On Apr 19, 2007
Pele (there aren't too many decent quality clips of Pele playing so an accurate judgement can't really be passed).
Maradona's super goal is the best goal though
P.S Pele is not overated
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by danniecool(m): 1:47pm On Apr 19, 2007
Maradona is better, cos he played both the modern day football, he has more magnificent goals that Pele.

But off pitch Pele is greater than Maradona, that should also be consider too.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by Damy(m): 11:28pm On Apr 19, 2007
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by Damy(m): 11:35pm On Apr 19, 2007
messi

Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by Damy(m): 11:36pm On Apr 19, 2007
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by iniowei: 11:21am On Apr 24, 2007
Dammy, Messi is an almost perfect player, but needs time, he just started his carrier and we cannot start comparing him with the game's greatest, let's wait and see. But I think Messi is extremely gifted, chek out the goal he scored recently.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by seunspice(m): 12:15pm On Apr 24, 2007
i would have loved to say PELE, but i was not old enough to see him play, maradona was good, but i cant rule out the drun factor so to me he aint the best. the greatest to me remians Zidane, all maradona could do with the ball he would do with an orange.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by eneyesan(m): 12:30pm On Apr 24, 2007
I go with Zizou, that guy was awesome, he was simply in a class of his own, simply the best. I give second place to Maradona, Pele should be satisfied with third position.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by seunspice(m): 12:40pm On Apr 24, 2007
eneyesan, men i like your style, you left Pele far behind. if i am to name my top ten of all time, pele might not even be there. when i have players like Roberto Baggio, Hristo Stoitchkov, Ryan giggs, Theiry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, David Beckham, Alan Shearer, Jurgen Klinsman, Oliver Bierhoff, Allmighty , Scholes, Great Vieira, Peter Schmeichel, just to mention a few in no particular order.
abi, no be just acient of days guys we go dey shout all the time
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by eneyesan(m): 1:16pm On Apr 24, 2007
Thanks, here is my top ten of all time: Zidane, Maradona, Pele, Cruff, Esubio, Maldini, Ronaldo, Buffon, Becenbauer, and Bergkamp,
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by seunspice(m): 1:19pm On Apr 24, 2007
eneyesan , In that order? i think Ronaldo should not be far back, he should have his nose somewhere between Zidane and Maradona. I think he is the best thing to have ever come out of Brazil.
Then just a question for you eneyesan, i cant find a certain Ronaldinho on your list. Is he not worth it?
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by seunspice(m): 1:24pm On Apr 24, 2007
I would prefer to have a Kaka in my team anytime anyday before i even consider Ronaldinho. While he is one of the exceptional players out there, i want to believe he is burning himself out too fast by having too much expectations on him. i think what he needs now is a change of club. like Ronaldo the great has done
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by cooljoe(m): 1:44pm On Apr 24, 2007
hi, seunspice, you seem to love the modern guys a lot, here is my team with reasons: Zidane(arguably the best this generation had to offer), Maradona(had super dribbling skills, the goal he scored against England), Pele(i've watched some clips of this man, and i tell you, he was quite a player), Ronaldo(the fact that he is the youngest FIFA player of the year says it all), Esubio(the best portugese player of all time derseves a place in anybody,s list), Cruff(this guy was abousletly wonderfull with the ball), Deco(i love this kid), Maldini(am sure you know he deserves a place), Weah(at his peak he was as good as it gets) and Kaka(himself and Gerrard are presently the best mid-fielders in Europe).
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by seunspice(m): 2:21pm On Apr 24, 2007
cooljoe, that was very cool. but what do you think of Ronaldinho? and may i ask why he is not on your list? my top ten would change from time to time, but if i were asked to expressly pick i would have something that looks like this
1. Zidane
2. Ronaldo
3. Bergkamp
4. Roberto Baggio
5. Ryan Giggs
6. Thiery Henry
7. Gianlugi Buffon
8. Pavel Nedved
9. Totti
10.Ronald Koeman
Note that my list is subject to change and it is basically a relection of my mood. i have tens of other players who when i remember them can easily dislodge anyone here, apart from undoubtedly the first two. I love football and please note my list is devoid of club affiliation.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by cooljoe(m): 2:33pm On Apr 24, 2007
I have nothing against DHINO, the truth is he is a fanatastic player and I respect him a lot, but I don't think he is a team player, I play soccer a lot and I know how I'll feel if someone is no playing for the team, but for his own showing. I love Deco, cause he is a team player, alongside Kaka and Gerrard.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by chuckdee4(m): 2:40pm On Apr 24, 2007
@ Topic

I'lld have to go with Pele cos to achieve what he did when he did was amazing, i know the competition was not so tough back then but to win his first world cup at 17 and go on to proove it was no fluke 2 more times no easy at all.
Maradonna was a class player but his drug abuse does kindda reduce his credibility
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by Ifeniyi22(m): 5:25pm On Apr 24, 2007
pele.it has to be pele.marodona would have been second on my list but the drug abuse stain kind of leaves a sour taste in the mouth ( we may never know just how long he had been indulging himself).he was a cheat so he wouldn't get a mention in my list.Zidane is next.I agree he was as good as it get.not too many players can make Brazilians stupefied n petrified on the pitch-watch France vs Brazil at the 2006 world cup
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by jagunlabi(m): 9:40pm On Apr 24, 2007
The greatest footballer?Definitely MARADONA.He was the most complete footballer ever.PELE was just a finisher at the spearhead of mgnificent brazillian teams,who could've done without him quite easily.

My top 10 greatest footballers are;

1)MARADONA
2)ROMARIO
3)PELE
4)ZICO
5)HAGI
5)ZIDANE
6)RONALDINHO
7)CRUYFF
coolTIGANA
9)RIVALDO
10)THIERY HENRY
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by seunspice(m): 8:22am On Apr 25, 2007
Jagunlabi, your list is enchanting, or let me say was enchanting until i read the name Theiry Henry , While i am not questioning his abilities ( he is one of my ll time greats too) its just that i believe Ronaldo De lima is much better at all levels than Henry. grin
And being the highest goal scorer of all time at the world cup, i think he deserves that spot beyond henry. He epitomizes the Number 9 and can not just score but create the goals too. i remember the Great Paolo Maldini saying that 'the name Ronaldo alone is enough to strike fear in your heart as a defender and a wake up call to raise your game'.
what do you think?
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by pssword: 2:47pm On Apr 25, 2007
Interesting list, but how could you put Hagi ahead of Zidane? Zico, without Socrates or Junior? Rivaldo no Baggio or Ronaldo (Brazillian)? Tigana, No Platini or Abedi Pele? Henry No Van Basten or George Weah?.

When it comes to the most skill full legends of the game, in no particular order :

Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Ronaldhino, Ronaldo(Brazil), Zidane, Romario, Platini, Baggio, Socrates, Zico, Junior( infact that 1982 Brazil wc team minus the keeper!),
Mario Kempest, Roger Miller etc,
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by tuneri(m): 3:11pm On Apr 25, 2007
greatest player of all time,mine is maradona,followed by zizou(he's europe's greatest),but my list is like this

1 maradona
2 zidane
3 ronaldo
4 best(up man u,but this guy could play)
5 beckanbeauer
6 van basten
7 pele
8 di stefano
9 platini
10 ronaldinho
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by IBBFan(m): 3:28pm On Apr 25, 2007
Edson Arantes do Nascimento

didn't any of you guys watch old clips of what this man did with the ball on the pitch in several matches back in his days?
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by slimghost(m): 3:45pm On Apr 25, 2007
i will choose Maradona before Pele .
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by Bolarge(m): 4:08pm On Apr 25, 2007
Pele anyday.
Who wants to have anything to do with Maradona who was on performance enhancing drugs all the while anyway?
Just take a look @ them both right now;Pele is still fit as a fiddle (though much older) and is a worthy sports ambassador to date.
Maradona on the other hand is just a degenerate blob of a junkie.
There really isn't much basis for comparison btwn the two if u ask me.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by babakunle: 5:58pm On Apr 25, 2007
yoon't have a clue what you are talking about,all the old brazilian legends you talk about talk about pele as a god.so researchyour facts properly b4 you decide.He did it against ac milan and other european clubs and playing in brazil at that time,won brazil there first world cup at 17 with 5 goal in the semi-finoand final games.i will give you a tip go to youtube.com and search for pele,there is a clip that last for about 10 mins watch it and you guys tell me what you think.i am sure you will be converted.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by adeboo(f): 7:12pm On Apr 25, 2007
I say Pele for the simple fact that he is still actively participating in the game.
He still can play ball even though he is an oldie now.
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by soccerchic(f): 12:01am On Apr 26, 2007
Pele Pele 4 me o o. grin grin
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by tobbyjohn(m): 8:48am On Apr 26, 2007
IT IS DA GREAT PELE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!anyone who picks a player ahead of pele does not know anything about the beautiful game and im very serious
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by awoof(m): 12:17pm On Apr 26, 2007
Come to think of it I thought the original post asked about Pele or Maradona, but which one come bring Messi, Ronaldinho, Zidane et all? Well my pick is Pele he was the best on the field and a perfect ambassador of the beautiful game out of the field. see what has become of Maradona. It is either drug or one problem or the other. However, i can see the problem of age differentials here, probably most of the contributors did not watch Pele during his days, but that is no escuse there are video recordings of his expoloits in soceer, he is the greatest QED
Re: Pele Or Maradona: Who Is The Greatest? by t0kunb0(m): 1:21pm On Apr 26, 2007
maradona

fifa just makes d drug issue so very bad. yes it aint good 4 d game nor d kids(remember zizu materazzi issue), but can drugs make improve your driblin skillz?

d dude had skills & could do tricks beta dan ani1els(messi's goal was d bomb sha)

although its very rung 2 rubish pele's achievements by sayin "in his tym, pple couldnt play ball", just remember dat in d future pple will say cesc is a better player dan viera no disrespect

d best in his tym shld b compared to all those in his tym irespective of whateva, u can only judge on your point of view & what u admire in a player irresepective of how truly good he is

(1) (2) (Reply)

UCL: Arsenal Vs Olympiakos (2 - 1) On 28th September 2011 / Kolo Toure Fails Drug Test ! / Is It A Sin For A Girl To Love Football?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.