Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,635 members, 7,955,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:30 PM

The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression (29533 Views)

I Buy Old Model Cars Of The 50's 40's 60's 70's / Havoc Caused By Low Quality Engine Oils In Nigeria. / Photo Of The Day!!! See What Fuel Scarcity Has Caused. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Opinionated: 12:06pm On Dec 31, 2018
By Abdulkabir Olatunji

I boarded a Keke Marwa yesterday in Lagos for a distance I knew was not worth more than N50. It was driven by a lady and at that point, I was her only passenger (she probably just started work in the evening) a few metres into the journey she announced: “Oga, it is N100 O”. I responded, “it is N50”. She went on: “It is end of the year”, I insisted “No O, it is N50”. Her next line was “Oga as you big reach (checking myself to see the ‘bigness’), “you suppose dey use am to thank God for the end of the year”. I kept quiet to conserve my energy, depending on the side of me she was talking to, I could give her N50 or the N100, I had change, so, she did not have leverage of giving me any amount she liked as change.

As she picked one more passenger along the way, my rational self insisted that ‘the fare is worth N50, give her N50’. As I alighted from the tricycle, I gave her N50. The look on her face was beyond despondent, “close to depression and almost in tears”, she said: “Oga, I have told you now”. I handed over N100 to her and collected the N50, immediately I received and upbeat “thank you”.

While I know the fare was worth no more than N50, the additional N50 I paid was not worth the woman’s depression over it.

In our simple interactions in life, there are always reasons to be introspective and ways to learn. While I am not convinced that she would go hungry without the additional N50, her heart was heavily set on it and that I understood and respected for whatever it was worth to her.

Source: The 50 Naira that Almost Caused Depression

123 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by ainas247: 1:26pm On Dec 31, 2018
I no just understand anything here.. lipsrsealed

Dominate Google page one with your business see results in my profile

19 Likes

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by d4gmail: 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
angry
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by funmilade4real(m): 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
ok
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by XTHRONE(m): 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
Damn, so much poverty in the land. Kudos bro, you did a great job, hope she appreciate it and NOT use it as a norm to pressure on oncoming passengers, because Nigerians sabi abuse good thing.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by AGNESikpuNNU(f): 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
grin cheesy
Buhari ba mayi
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by ghiloman28(m): 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
OK
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Modupex(f): 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
grin
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
If Nigerians should tell themselves the Truth buhari should have been impeached since because he has committed Many impeachable offense
If Nigerians should tell themselves the truth buhari and APC by now shouldn't be talking about re-election
8yrs is not a must for any political office holder if you fail in your first term byebye let's try another person
If Atiku wins or any party presidential candidate wins and still messed up 2023 we show him the way out
Let's join hands and make this political office holders understand that 4yrs is enough to archive great deals
Hypocrisy is when Ambode was denied second term because he didn't perform and those same people who denied him of second term are still the same people singing buhari praise him who failed in every aspect
Until when Nigerians are ready to tell themselves the truth

66 Likes

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
INTERESTING

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by lyriclekidd(m): 1:28pm On Dec 31, 2018
Okay
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by chyckxx(m): 1:28pm On Dec 31, 2018
undecided
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by bentlywills(m): 1:28pm On Dec 31, 2018
You do well

Happy new yr
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Darey00(m): 1:29pm On Dec 31, 2018
I STRUGGLE TO SEE WHAT THIS POST IS SUPPOSED TO BE ALL ABOUT

2 Likes

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by xavier047: 1:30pm On Dec 31, 2018
grin grin grin grin..Good one OP
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by martyns303(m): 1:30pm On Dec 31, 2018
On the 23rd of this month, Lagos was in some kind of lockdown as per traffic. it's best to leave ur car at home. Took a bus, and the conductor was asking everyone to hold change, N50. I was having N500 as least denomination so I sat at the front seat to pay for 2 seats, still the conductor was saying he didn't have change. So I offered to pay for everybody. I didn't say it loud to avoid "thank you" from everyone. A lady and her kids got off and the conductor was low key still trying to collect money from her.

In as much as I respect ur kind gesture, it's not right when people try to take what they haven't earned. and it's worst when they try to employ gimmicks to that effect. What's the her reason for addressing u as sir/big man? massage ur ego and get u to pay N100 for a N50 fair.

Still, Do good.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Bukasint: 1:30pm On Dec 31, 2018
H no ok
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Gwilld(m): 1:30pm On Dec 31, 2018
Wow wink wink
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by helinues: 1:30pm On Dec 31, 2018
The additional N50 is something to her.

2 Likes

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Bukasint: 1:31pm On Dec 31, 2018
Opinionated:
By Abdulkabir Olatunji

I boarded a Keke Marwa yesterday in Lagos for a distance I knew was not worth more than N50. It was driven by a lady and at that point, I was her only passenger (she probably just started work in the evening) a few metres into the journey she announced: “Oga, it is N100 O”. I responded, “it is N50”. She went on: “It is end of the year”, I insisted “No O, it is N50”. Her next line was “Oga as you big reach (checking myself to see the ‘bigness’), “you suppose dey use am to thank God for the end of the year”. I kept quiet to conserve my energy, depending on the side of me she was talking to, I could give her N50 or the N100, I had change, so, she did not have leverage of giving me any amount she liked as change.

As she picked one more passenger along the way, my rational self insisted that ‘the fare is worth N50, give her N50’. As I alighted from the tricycle, I gave her N50. The look on her face was beyond despondent, “close to depression and almost in tears”, she said: “Oga, I have told you now”. I handed over N100 to her and collected the N50, immediately I received and upbeat “thank you”.

While I know the fare was worth no more than N50, the additional N50 I paid was not worth the woman’s depression over it.

In our simple interactions in life, there are always reasons to be introspective and ways to learn. While I am not convinced that she would go hungry without the additional N50, her heart was heavily set on it and that I understood and respected for whatever it was worth to her.

This reminds me the day I finished work from the hospital and I was very hungry. I crossed the main road to get some puff-puff and I had 500 on me. It was sold at #20per one and I needed to buy #100 own. I had issue with the change and I argued with the seller the latter I had to keep quite and wait till customers comes to see if she will have change. About 10mins here is school pupils 6 of them and I guess they should be in primary 4or 3. They came to buy a one puff -puff and they way they argued about it and was so much into fighting over one puff-puff. I was depressed and was so down and the small one among them was left with nothing. I had to tell them all to buy with the remaining change. Atimes somethings are worth leaving than enjoyed.

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by 21Bandit: 1:31pm On Dec 31, 2018
True
I can relate
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 31, 2018
Opinionated:
By Abdulkabir Olatunji

I always refrain from arguing with commercial transport operators every time I come back home. How do they live on 50 or even 100 naira fare... That's less than 20p!!!
And how can I complain especially when the distance travelled is quite a bit, my opinion is that it is ridiculously cheap.
God bless all you hustlers, home and abroad, 2019 will be a better year for us all. Amen.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 31, 2018
grin
Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by BlackPantherCri: 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2018
Darey00:
I STRUGGLE TO SEE WHAT THIS POST IS SUPPOSED TO BE ALL ABOUT

Let me sit next to you while I ponder on what this post is all about

1 Like

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by chloride6: 1:34pm On Dec 31, 2018
Maga!

If work tire her make she enter street do olosho.

You think you are helping but you are not.

You are raising the price for those who don't have more than 50 naira.

In the end it is customer resistance that will bring prices down.

Don't over pay next time

4 Likes

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 31, 2018
grin

You're a nice guy, I usually over pay for services I receive whenever I'm in the mood, in order to support/encourage the practitioner.

6 Likes

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by anochuko01(m): 1:34pm On Dec 31, 2018
if the driver be man, the passenger no go give am o...

4 Likes

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by pythonkid(m): 1:36pm On Dec 31, 2018
People don't understand this especially Nigerians they all want to be seen as smart . The same set of people capable of insisting on giving the woman the 50N is the same people that buy x3 worth of price of a goods in d supermarket . Nigerians are monkeys

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 50 Naira That Almost Caused Depression by BornnAgainChild(f): 1:37pm On Dec 31, 2018
Weldone

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

***free Vin Check And Report*** Get Carfax Before You Buy / CLEAN 2011 SIENNA LE 10.2M LAST!!! / Mercedes 911 Tipper, Auxillary

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.