Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming (4374 Views)

How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? / Pls Which Is Best For Playing Gta 5 Is Ps4 Or Pc / Please How Strong Is This Hp Laptop For Gaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 31, 2018
Here is a short answer:

An SSD is much faster and will offer remarkably better performance when it comes to gaming, particularly in terms of loading times. HDDs, on the other hand, have a longer life-span and are much more cost-effective as a high-volume storage solution.

Solid-state drives have become all the rage in the recent years, all thanks to the unprecedented read/write speeds that completely blew traditional hard-disk drives out of the water.
It was not without a good reason that gamers around the world proclaimed SSDs as the undoubtedly better choice for gaming due to the sheer performance that they offer.

But are they really that much better?

In this article, we will be comparing SSDs and HDDs on all fronts, discussing the advantages and disadvantages of using each, as well as deciding which one is ultimately the best gaming solution.

1 Like

Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 31, 2018
Speed

As we have already stated, SSDs are superior to HDDs when it comes to speed, and there’s no doubt about that. An SSD’s data transfer speed can surpass that of an HDD several times over, although when put in practice, an SSD is roughly 2 to 3 times faster than an HDD.
In the image below , you can see just how much faster SSD load times are. As such, this speed will reflect on loading times in games, as well as the overall system performance.

Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 31, 2018
Longevity

When it comes to the overall life-span, HDDs tend to last longer than SSDs do. While a lack of longevity is definitely there, it is hardly a noticeable one. Even with intense use, an SSD can last upwards of 5 years. Still, HDDs can easily last for over 10 years, although their performance is bound to degrade as time goes on.

Durability

There is no denying that that SSDs are more durable due to a lack of moving parts. HDDs, on the other hand, are prone to malfunctioning and to physical damage simply because of the mechanisms that their functioning relies on.

Capacity

When it comes to maximum capacity, both SSDs and HDDs that go as high as 8 TB, or even higher, can be found on the market today. However, a more important thing to consider is the price-capacity ratio.
Namely, HDDs are roughly 4 times cheaper than SSDs when it comes to storage. For example, a 50$ hard drive will have 1 TB of storage space, while a similarly-priced SSD will only have about 250GB. The situation is similar on the other end of the spectrum: an 8TB HDD will cost you about 300$, while a 4+ TB SSD would cost thousands.

Noise

As we have already stated, a solid-state drive has no moving parts. As such, it runs completely silently. Conversely, an HDD is bound to produce a certain amount of noise, but not every HDD is as loud as another.
Ultimately, the loudness of an HDD comes down to the following factors:
RPM – Today, lower-end HDDs start at 5400 rotations per minute while the more performance oriented variants can go over 10000. Naturally, the faster an HDD spins, the noisier it will be.
Age/damage – Seeing as moving parts are crucial to their functioning, an HDD may become louder over time due to its mechanisms wearing down or because of physical damage.

The Final Verdict

All things considered, there can be no doubt about who the winner is in the SSD vs HDD showdown.
An SSD is much better for gaming than an HDD is. The latter simply cannot compete with the performance offered by solid-state drives, so for anyone who prizes performance above all else, this is a no-brainer.
However, SSD is not without fault. Indeed, they are not that good as long-term storage solutions, both because of their inherently shorter life-span and because high-capacity SSD prices are bordering on ludicrous.

Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 31, 2018
Our advice? Get both of them!

Many gamers take this approach. Simply use a 500 GB SSD as your system drive where you keep all your games installed while using a much more affordable 1 TB or bigger HDD for storing your data. This is, ultimately, the most cost-effective solution.

Source: https://www.gamingscan.com/ssd-vs-hdd-gaming/

Cc Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Cao.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 31, 2018
I posted this article so people can know more about the ssd. I was surprised when I wanted to buy a system with 2gb nvidia graphics card, only for me to see 256gb ssd when I was expecting something like 1TB hdd. grin grin
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by crafteck(m): 8:33pm On Dec 31, 2018
kemicalreaction:
I posted this article so people can know more about the ssd. I was surprised when I wanted to buy a system with 2gb nvidia graphics card, only for me to see 256gb ssd when I was expecting something like 1TB hdd. grin grin

2 gb nvidea is low spec, you shouldn't expect more than 256 to complement it
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 31, 2018
crafteck:

Oh! I'm not a hardcore gamer. I'm buying the system for my freelance business and to play games like gta 5. Hope it will play gta 5? embarassed
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by DrayZee: 8:48pm On Dec 31, 2018
The only real con on the part of the SSD is its pricing. Its better in every other way.

Better to have a 1TB HDD and at least a 128GB SSD as main memory.

2 Likes

Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2018
DrayZee:
The only real con on the part of the SSD is its pricing. Its better in every other way.

Better to have a 1TB HDD and at least a 128GB SSD as main memory.

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting 1TB hdd in addition to the 256gb ssd smiley

1 Like

Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by crafteck(m): 11:11pm On Dec 31, 2018
kemicalreaction:
Oh! I'm not an hardcore gamer. I'm buying the system for my freelance business and to play games like gta 5. Hope it will play gta 5? embarassed

would on medium
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 11:30pm On Dec 31, 2018
crafteck:

would on medium
Please extrapolate. I don't understand all those gaming terms.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by davien(m): 11:50pm On Dec 31, 2018
kemicalreaction:
Oh! I'm not a hardcore gamer. I'm buying the system for my freelance business and to play games like gta 5. Hope it will play gta 5? embarassed
go for Nvidia 60s from 900 series upwards..
2gb 960m>970m>980m

Gtx 1060>1070>1080.. To play gta V at a buttery smooth 60fps on high.

FYI.. The higher the tenth number, the more powerful the gpu.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 01, 2019
davien:
go for Nvidia 60s from 900 series upwards..
2gb 960m>970m>980m

Gtx 1060>1070>1080.. To play gta V at a buttery smooth 60fps on high.

FYI.. The higher the tenth number, the more powerful the gpu.
It says nvidia geforce 940mx with 2GB dedicated vram.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by KuzBoi29(m): 12:26am On Jan 01, 2019
kemicalreaction:
it will play gta v on meduim/ high settings if you are able to do the tweaking , i have 940mx 4gb vram and i am enjoying gta v on it at 30 -35 fps can't get more than that though
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by crafteck(m): 7:55am On Jan 01, 2019
kemicalreaction:
Please extrapolate. I don't understand all those gaming terms.
Settings on medium resolution.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by khalhokage(m): 8:50am On Jan 01, 2019
crafteck:
Settings on medium resolution.
There's no such thing as medium resolution.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by davien(m): 10:47am On Jan 01, 2019
kemicalreaction:
Unplayable bro... A 750m is stronger than that or close to it.. Don't buy in my opinion unless you want to be playing gta in slow motion in 720p low settings..
I have a 950m and I can assure you that 30fps gta isn't the same as 60fps gta, everything plays like a super crisp action movie when I set my frame rate at 60,whereas a 940mx can't ever get that without signifying loss of image quality or stuttering...
My textures are set to normal, water to normal, everything else is on high and I average 45-60fps 1080p..

An 860m is stronger than my 950m, because the tenth of the number indicates performance, and the hundredth indicates efficiency... So my 950m may be more power efficient over an 850m but 860m is more powerful than it, in fact the 60s are specifically designed for medium level gaming in mind. I had the opportunity to buy 840/940mx and I thank God I didn't, but it's all up to you.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 10:58am On Jan 01, 2019
davien:
Unplayable bro... A 750m is stronger than that or close to it.. Don't buy in my opinion unless you want to be playing gta in slow motion in 720p low settings..
I have a 950m and I can assure you that 30fps gta isn't the same as 60fps gta, everything plays like a super crisp action movie when I set my frame rate at 60,whereas a 940mx can't ever get that without signifying loss of image quality or stuttering...
My textures are set to normal, water to normal, everything else is on high and I average 45-60fps 1080p..
But I played it on system with 1gb Radeon AMD graphics card. There was no problem with the graphics but I noticed the system was over heating
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 01, 2019
davien:
But I played it on a system with 1gb Radeon AMD graphics card. There was no problem with the graphics but I noticed the system was over heating.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by davien(m): 11:04am On Jan 01, 2019
kemicalreaction:
But I played it on a system with 1gb Radeon AMD graphics card. There was no problem with the graphics but I noticed the system was over heating.
Like I said, up to you.. If you're used to playing at 30fps,then you're used to seeing micro stutter and freezes/artifacts onscreen.. Me? The day I started playing at 60fps, anything 30 without appropriate motion blur looked terrible.
2gb is the bare minimum I'd go for... If I'm to buy now though I'll increase it to 4gb VRAM, but that depends on how fast the card is, a 4gb 740m/840/940 to me is a nightmare compared to a 2gb 860m... Better have more performance than vram, because the previous examples can't render everything smoothly on that 4gb vram it has.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by GameGod(m): 7:05pm On Jan 01, 2019
@kemicalreaction, op does ssd increase FPS?
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 01, 2019
GameGod:
@kemicalreaction, op does ssd increase FPS?
Sorry, I'm not used to all those gaming terms. What is the full meaning of FPS? sad
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Psychodavidovic(m): 8:00pm On Jan 01, 2019
kemicalreaction:
Sorry, I'm not used to all those gaming terms. What is the full meaning of FPS? sad

Frames Per Second.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by GameGod(m): 8:07pm On Jan 01, 2019
Psychodavidovic:

Frames Per Second.
grin
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by GameGod(m): 8:08pm On Jan 01, 2019
kemicalreaction:
I will take 256gb SSD over 1TB HDD any day, any time.
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by MrDojo(m): 8:37pm On Jan 01, 2019
crafteck:

Yo, bro. Do you know any reliable person that sells gaming PCs here in Nigeria? smiley
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by crafteck(m): 8:42pm On Jan 01, 2019
MrDojo:

Yo, bro. Do you know any reliable person that sells gaming PCs here in Nigeria? smiley

Several people on nairaland but ur eyes have to be opened, what spec/price do you have in mind
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by MrDojo(m): 8:45pm On Jan 01, 2019
crafteck:

Several people on nairaland but ur eyes have to be opened, what spec/price do you have in mind

Can we talk via mail (then what's app)? Thanks. Please send me a DM. I can't because I've apparently "sent too many".
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by crafteck(m): 9:42pm On Jan 01, 2019
MrDojo:

Can we talk via mail (then what's app)? Thanks. Please send me a DM. I can't because I've apparently "sent too many".

https://www.nairaland.com/4895174/remember-fifa-competition-talked

My number is in the poster

1 Like

Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 01, 2019
GameGod:

I will take 256gb SSD over 1TB HDD any day, any time.
I'm doing the same. I was actually wary of the size before grin grin. I'm adding a 1TB hard disk to it grin grin
Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Reejuvi: 9:44am On Jan 04, 2019
GTX 1050 Ti graphics (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

BEAUTIFUL DISPLAY AND AUDIO:
Edge-to-edge 15.6-inch diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080) display and rich audio with front-firing speakers, HP Audio Boost, and tuning by B&O PLAY, Backlit Keyboard.

8TH GENERATION Intel (R) PROCESSOR:
Intel (R)Core(TM) i5-8300H (2.3 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel (R) Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)

Intel (R) Optane (TM) MEMORY 16 GB:
Optane memory accelerates new processor-based systems to deliver a responsive computer experience with short boot times, fast application launches, extraordinary gaming, and responsive browsing

HARD DRIVE AND MEMORY:
1 TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive and 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM

BATTERY LIFE:
Up to 8 hours and 45 minutes (mixed usage); up to 7 hours and 45 minutes (video playback); up to 5 hours and 30 minutes (wireless streaming)

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Home

1 Share

Re: SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming by Reejuvi: 9:47am On Jan 04, 2019

Brand New Hp Gaming Pavillion

Price N289,990

Location Lagos

Contact 08145061561

Whatsapp https:///2348145061561

1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Best Football Game? / X Operations (raymonds Hack) / Used Nintendo Switch With Fifa 20 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.