Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,360 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? (10353 Views)

Please How Strong Is This Hp Laptop For Gaming / Which TV Brand Should I Buy For Gaming / SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Mustiboy(m): 6:51pm On Nov 28, 2020
Compared to last generation consoles, how powerful are they?

Smartphone processors keep getting better with new releases, but we are yet to know how powerful they really are without demanding games to push them to the limits.

Atheistandproud, I presume you're adept with smartphone CPU and GPUs. Can you say they are as powerful as what is on the last two generation consoles, Xbox 360 and PS3?

Can games for these two consoles be ported to mobile and the likes of SD865 and Bionic A14 will handle them seamlessly?

What's your take?
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by khingTony(m): 7:14pm On Nov 28, 2020
In my opinion, Flagship smartphone chipsets are more powerful than that of the XBOX 360 and PS3 for sure and maybe better than that of the PS4 and XBOX ONE, that's why you can install an XBOX emulator and play XBOX games, but, A powerful chipset and GPU is just one thing, another is how efficient they are.

The PS4 and others are large, they have heat sinks and large fans that cool the processor down and even spin faster at full speed when the going gets tough, But Smartphones(asides gaming phones) do not have fans and heat sinks, so, they'll get hotter easily and thermal throttling becomes a thing, when this happens, the processor will reduce it's performance just so that it can cope and not generate more heat.

So if you are to put them side by side and compare for a short amount of time you'll see that processors such as the SD 865+, A14 bionic or Hisilicon Kirin 9000 will out class that of the PS4, but when you play games for a long time, That of the PS4 will be smoother and better.

Peace smiley

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Mustiboy(m): 9:19pm On Nov 28, 2020
khingTony:
In my opinion, Flagship smartphone chipsets are more powerful than that of the XBOX 360 and PS3 for sure and maybe better than that of the PS4 and XBOX ONE, that's why you can install an XBOX emulator and play XBOX games, but, A powerful chipset and GPU is just one thing, another is how efficient they are.

The PS4 and others are large, they have heat sinks and large fans that cool the processor down and even spin faster at full speed when the going gets tough, But Smartphones(asides gaming phones) do not have fans and heat sinks, so, they'll get hotter easily and thermal throttling becomes a thing, when this happens, the processor will reduce it's performance just so that it can cope and not generate more heat.

So if you are to put them side by side and compare for a short amount of time you'll see that processors such as the SD 865+, A14 bionic or Hisilicon Kirin 9000 will out class that of the PS4, but when you play games for a long time, That of the PS4 will be smoother and better.

Peace smiley

Hmmm. Insightful.

What about the new liquid cooling system used in chipsets these days? How substantial is it?

I'm surprised you said flagship chipsets are more powerful than PS4 and Xbox One — albeit with lesser durability.

I don't know how true that is though.

5 Likes

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Emeka71(m): 10:33pm On Nov 28, 2020
Smartphone is not good on games.

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by atheistandproud(m): 11:51pm On Nov 28, 2020
Mustiboy:

Compared to last generation consoles, how powerful are they?

Smartphone processors keep getting better with new releases, but we are yet to know how powerful they really are without demanding games to push them to the limits.

Atheistandproud, I presume you're adept with smartphone CPU and GPUs. Can you say they are as powerful as what is on the last two generation consoles, Xbox 360 and PS3?

Can games for these two consoles be ported to mobile and the likes of SD865 and Bionic A14 will handle them seamlessly?

What's your take?

Smartphones still have quite a ways to go and Apple's M1 based on ARM is showing a lot of promise but to compare any processor currently on the smartphone ecosystem to the Cell Processor on the PS3 is very laughable.

That CPU has super computer capabilities. It's downfall was that it's architecture was difficult to handle and programme for.

The Cell Processor was and still is a beast.

Developers didn't understand it and preferred the X86 architecture instead that's why in PS4, Sony reverted to X86 based Processors and continued with such in PS 5.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Mustiboy(m): 12:06am On Nov 29, 2020
atheistandproud:

Smartphones still have quite a ways to go and Apple's M1 based on ARM is showing a lot of promise but to compare any processor currently on the smartphone ecosystem to the Cell Processor on the PS3 is very laughable.

That CPU has super computer capabilities. It's downfall was that it's architecture was difficult to handle and programme for.

The Cell Processor was and still is a beast.

Developers didn't understand it and preferred the X86 architecture instead that's why in PS4, Sony reverted to X86 based Processors and continued with such in PS 5.

I thought as much. Thanks.

The other guy said Smartphone flagship Processors are better than ps3 and potential better than PS4.

2 Likes

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by atheistandproud(m): 12:33am On Nov 29, 2020
Mustiboy:

I thought as much. Thanks.

The other guy said Smartphone flagship Processors are better than ps3 and potential better than PS4.

A14/M1 from Apple, yes maybe.

The rest, no. Absolutely not.

The Cell Processor from the PS3 was used to build supercomputers and could run Linux.

This was in 2005/6 when phones were still using 500MHz processors.

It's far ahead of it's time. Today, that cell processor should still give i7 and i9 a good run for their money not to talk of mobile processors.

5 Likes

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Mustiboy(m): 7:48am On Nov 29, 2020
atheistandproud:

A14/M1 from Apple, yes maybe.

The rest, no. Absolutely not.

The Cell Processor from the PS3 was used to build supercomputers and could run Linux.

This was in 2005/6 when phones were still using 500MHz processors.

It's far ahead of it's time. Today, that cell processor should still give i7 and i9 a good run for their money not to talk of mobile processors.

You mean Bionic A14 is potentially as powerful as consoles but SD865+ isn't?

The last time I checked, the latter bossed the former in performance.

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by atheistandproud(m): 10:26am On Nov 29, 2020
Mustiboy:

You mean Bionic A14 is potentially as powerful as consoles but SD865+ isn't?

The last time I checked, the latter bossed the former in performance.

Two things people tend to overlook.

Now personally, I don't like iPhones but you cannot deny that they go to great lengths to do two things.

1. Advanced architecture

2. Optimization

The A14 is built with Firestorm and Icestorm cores are on ARMv8.4, SD865+ is on 8.2.

The M1 is simply an Octa core A14 and it is giving i7 and i9 a good run for it's money.

SD875 may change this but it remains to be seen if Qualcomm wants to challenge in the PC market

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Realboygenius(m): 11:54pm On Dec 06, 2020
Gaming Processor like the one on the TECNO POVA is good but you can't compare it to a console.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Mustiboy(m): 1:16pm On Dec 07, 2020
Realboygenius:
Gaming Processor like the one on the TECNO POVA is good but you can't compare it to a console.

What do you know about processors? undecided

21 Likes

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Hakeem12(m): 3:39pm On Dec 07, 2020
Realboygenius:
Lmao, the helio G80 innit? It can't even play fortnite.

8 Likes

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Mustiboy(m): 6:15pm On Dec 07, 2020
Hakeem12:

Don't mind him.

Only the CPU on helio G80 is good. The GPU is shit

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by atheistandproud(m): 5:29am On Dec 08, 2020
Hakeem12:

Fortnite

Grid Autosports

PUBG HD, 60fps Extreme
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by selfdefence: 7:54am On Dec 08, 2020
real talk, the G80 and GT90 processors are perfect for smartphone gaming.
Realboygenius:
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by selfdefence: 7:55am On Dec 08, 2020
how do you mean please? cos many smartphones like the Pova are very good for gaming o
Emeka71:
Smartphone is not good on games.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by theFilmtric: 9:33am On Dec 08, 2020
this chipset is a BEAST.

theFilmtricsay

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Hakeem12(m): 11:42am On Dec 08, 2020
atheistandproud:

Fortnite

Grid Autosports

PUBG HD, 60fps Extreme
You sure about fortnite though?
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Emeka71(m): 1:59pm On Dec 08, 2020
selfdefence:
how do you mean please? cos many smartphones like the Pova are very good for gaming o
Except that many of the regular phones are not good on games.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by khingTony(m): 2:09pm On Dec 08, 2020
selfdefence:
Realboygenius:

I don't know what's all the hype about the tecno POVA's or another phone's Helio G80, here it is compared against another midrange chipset and it was taken to the cleaners.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by khingTony(m): 2:14pm On Dec 08, 2020
And comparing it against a 2019 flagship processor, The Helio G80 is a decent chipset but, please, don't hype it when it comes to gaming

2 Likes

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by ChiefZaddy: 2:20pm On Dec 08, 2020
khingTony:
And comparing it against a 2019 flagship processor, The Helio G80 is a decent chipset but, please, don't hype it when it comes to gaming
You wicked Sha. Elephant vs Ant comparison

2 Likes

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Asolab(m): 2:22pm On Dec 08, 2020
Pls how much can I repair Samsung A30 screen at any Samsung store in Lagos??
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by slawormiir: 2:51pm On Dec 08, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Too many ignoramus on this thread

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by YangaBabe: 2:52pm On Dec 08, 2020
khingTony:

I don't know what's all the hype about the tecno POVA's or another phone's Helio G80, here it is compared against another midrange chipset and it was taken to the cleaners.
I don't think it's all about comparison, the Helio G80 is good for gaming too, simple.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Ussycool: 2:52pm On Dec 08, 2020
.A
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Factfinder1(m): 2:53pm On Dec 08, 2020
N S P

Not soo powerful

Just hyped to get people to buy them.....

Games are not made for phones that's why we have pc

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Replacement: 2:55pm On Dec 08, 2020
I love gaming phones ehn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Laptop Can I Get For 60000 To 80000 Naira And Would Run Watch Dogs Fifa15 / What's The Best Mobile Game You Have Ever Played ? / FIFA 14 on pc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.