Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,444 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (298) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2190169 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bukky18: 1:15am On Feb 16, 2020
Thank u so much.

[quote

I would advise that you search LinkedIn, Glassdoor, indeed.ca, eluta.ca etc and other job boards to see which jobs are more in demand for someone with your skillset in your destination city. That is how you determine what is in demand and align yourself and your job search in that direction. You then ask your relatives and friends in that city to link you up with working professionals in that field so that you can start networking and establishing your launch base. You can also identify any immigrant assistance agency in your destination that works to help newcomer professionals in your field to get integrated. With all the above coming together for you, you can focus on hitting the ground and start running. All the best ahead.[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Barseat: 3:35am On Feb 16, 2020
Edward8891:
Hi Guys
If you a single man migrating to Winnipeg, Manitoba and you fall into the underlisted categories, please contact me. I can assist with initial settling down and a lot of information while we share my apartment.
CATEGORIES:
 A single man moving with the plan of getting married here or returning to Nigeria to bring his babe.
 A married man moving alone while the family joins later.
 You don’t have a friend/family to stay with for initial landing (Note, please take advantage of staying briefly with these guys if you have, it will save you some bucks as well).
 You are migrating as a student or a Permanent Resident
What’s in it for you?
 You can avoid initial hotel/Airbnb expenses
 You save yourself the stress of looking for an apartment and the background credit check process
 You have a direct source of information based on experience
 You can start saving costs immediately (Believe me, there are some expenses a new immigrant incur that you will realize you could have done it at 50% cheaper down the line)
 You can also save yourself the stress of getting furniture and basic homeware till you are married or ready to move to another apartment.

What’s in it for me?
 I get to share my rent expense with you
 I get a neighbour to share ideas with

PLEASE DO NOT BOTHER TO CONTACT ME ABOUT THIS POST IF EVEN IF YOU FALL INTO THE CATEGORIES AND YOU KNOW DEEP DOWN IN YOUR HEART THAT YOU ARE NOT EAST GOING AND ARE NOT READY TO FOCUS ON THE GOOD REASONS WHY YOU ARE MIGRATING TO CANADA

I'm planning to resume university of manitoba by April
How close is your place to uni of manitoba?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by eryosa0: 3:39am On Feb 17, 2020
Please question for the lawyers in the house. I want to start this NCA thing but I'm confused on the transcript part. Is it bot uni and law sch transcript I'm to send to NCA people or just law school transcript?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by eclectic139(f): 5:50am On Feb 17, 2020
Lansky:
How do you register for Ontario Health Card BEFORE you get accommodation?

I've been refused registration at Service Ontario cuz I don't have a document to show "proof of residency in Ontario".

Currently staying at AirBnB.

Urgent Pls!!!

Don't stress about this. They will accept a proof of address that's a letter from the bank posted to your address so you can request a bank statement when you have a more permanent address. Your card won't come till after 3 months it doesn't matter when you register. I couldn't register till almost after 2 months cos that was the earliest time a bank could post my statement.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godisincontrol: 8:04am On Feb 17, 2020
eryosa0:
Please question for the lawyers in the house. I want to start this NCA thing but I'm confused on the transcript part. Is it bot uni and law sch transcript I'm to send to NCA people or just law school transcript?

You have to send both

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dtush(f): 10:23am On Feb 17, 2020
hayor2014:
I might be wrong, but I would advise you move from the known to the unknown..a few questions though

- where do you intend to land.
-are your a full PPR or provincial nomination.
-do you have certification for audit or risk
management that you can use here e.g CIA,
CPA..what certification do you have ...
- are you landing worth family..

Your answers to these questions will properly guide me on how exactly to respond... Cheers

Thanks for your response. I am landing in Calgary by month end and i have the full PPR. I have my CFE and ISO 9001:2015 and 45001:2018 auditor certifications. Writing CRISC as soon as i land (been studying for the exam). I am landing with my daughter only.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dtush(f): 10:24am On Feb 17, 2020
Thanks a lot for the well explained response. Regards
ifegy:

An entry point into IT for non IT auditors is typically the GRC space (Governance, Risk and Compliance), a subset of Cybersecurity.

One pathway:
Start in the audit area you are experienced in (financial, operational, etc), public firm (big 4 preferably; helps you stand out; facilitates entry to industry) or industry (multinational preferably; more likely to have IT auditors; more scope for getting where you want, great for your resume).

Get CISA, CISM done. AddIng in CISSP will help you go far in GRC and Cybersecurity.

Build rapport and credibility within your team, with your team lead, with the IT area. In other words, do a crazy good job at everything and do it with courtesy, professionalism, diplomacy and a good attitude. Take on any available IT aspects of your audit scope, which will be basic but nevertheless help you build knowledge and start building skill set. Introduce yourself to the CIO and CISO. Do a great job whenever you interface with them. However, respect the org structure. Don’t go over your own boss’ head or behind his/her back. Don’t let your boss hear from the CIO about your career goals. Also, don’t start talking about your gray eagerness to switch teams from day one. Your boss hired you for his / her team. Build credibility first, and your boss will support you, because if you go far, they will also look good.

As you do your job, look for opportunities to either do secondments in IT/ GRC, or with the IT auditors, or put forward that kind of suggestion to your team. If you can make an internal move, that will likely be an easier entree than applying externally.

Keep talking about your goals and the exams you’ve passed, so that the right people know (remember, you do the talking at the right time, to the right people). Keep doing a great job on your projects and most of all, keep being a great person to work with. You don’t have to be a super skilled, highly experienced IT auditor to start in the GRC space especially since there’ll be an expectation that you’ll be learning constantly in IT anyway. However, if you don’t work well with people, you’ll make it very hard for anyone to take a chance on you and give you that first break.

Do a good job, keep pushing and your dream job will find you.

All the best.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kingkhalil: 11:43am On Feb 17, 2020
eryosa0:

Interested in the responses...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tba11(f): 12:59pm On Feb 17, 2020
Gud afternoon guys,
Please I need your help. I got admission to Fanshawe College and my visa has been approved (thank God). Now I need help with accommodation, pls can anyone help me with any cheap accommodation in London Ontario.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayoakins(m): 1:04pm On Feb 17, 2020
LANDING GIST

I flew EgytAir and got to the airport by 10am for a 12:45pm flight. I had just a check-in bag and one backpack.
I had cereal and coco balls in the check-in bag to keep me for the 3days should incase I couldn't find nice food. I emptied it into ziplock nylon and had no issues.

Check in was fast. As usual, I was asked for tips, I told them I had already changed my money. Well I only travelled with 500CAD which I changed at the Airport. I had my debit cards handy though. On the final flight to Toronto, we were giving a declaration form on the flight. If you have more than 10k CAD, please declare it, if you can at all the airports, Nigeria inclusive (better be safe than sorry o)

I landed 7:00am, less immigration queue. I met with the CBSA or na CSBA officer, he asked

1. if my family composition had changed (since I applied as a single immigrant) and

2.If I had any conviction Upon landing. (The playful me almost said yes just to make him laugh since he was looking too serious but thank GOD my village people didn't succeed)

He signed my COPR and I reminded him the need to welcome me to Canada grin. Welcome to Canada, he said smiling.

In Toronto, CBSA share the same partition with Service Canada, less than 1mins walk. I had to wait a bit for them to be ready to attend to us since we came earlier than resumption time I presume. We were giving a small form to fill and in no time, SIN was issued. Agent Lee (an Asian attended to me). Very firm yet shared some good information. The need to layer up clothes, how I need to get on Indeed, LinkedIn etc to start networking.

The next and final check was when I was about exiting the airport. I presume this is where you will need to present your *Goods to follow list*. They may also decide to open and check your luggage. Mine wasn't checked. I used my friend's address in Manitoba, she recieved my PR in 15days and dispatched using DHL to Nigeria which I got 4days after. Custom opened it to confirm the content perhaps Canada Custom or the US.

My phone wouldn't load Uber, thank goodness, a friend in the US whom I was able to call with WhatsApp using the Airport Wifi ordered Uber for me also controlled the driver to my terminal (GOD bless him for me).

I stayed in an Airbnb for the 3days. I landed 7:00am on Friday and left for Nigeria 2:00pm on Monday.

GOD bless Canada and Nigeria

59 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Everygirl: 2:44pm On Feb 17, 2020
hayoakins:
LANDING GIST

I flew EgytAir and got to the airport by 10am for a 12:45pm flight. I had just a check-in bag and one backpack.

Very nice and straight forward. Thanks for sharing.

I also did my soft landing early last year before finding this page late last year so I did not write my landing gist.

But this was pretty much my experience as well. Except, my uber app worked so all was well.

I also had to wait for a few mins for them to open as we arrived early. This was fine because it meant there was no queue since we were the first set. They also asked me for proof of funds and I showed them my bank app which they said I should convert to Canadian dollars and let them know how much it is. The guy didn't even wait for my response so we moved on. Filled some form (s), SIN was issued and they explained that this is your whole life and you need to take care of the number etc etc. PR arrived about two weeks later.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by eddyme(m): 3:02pm On Feb 17, 2020
Congratulations, what doc did you submit?
tba11:
Gud afternoon guys,
Please I need your help. I got admission to Fanshawe College and my visa has been approved (thank God). Now I need help with accommodation, pls can anyone help me with any cheap accommodation in London Ontario.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chipzlov: 3:18pm On Feb 17, 2020

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tba11(f): 3:23pm On Feb 17, 2020
eddyme:
Congratulations, what doc did you submit?

Hello, these are the list of documents I submitted for the Canadian study visa,

Offer letter from skul
Receipt of fees payment
University certificate
Passport
UK student visa
Past travel visa for both UK and USA
Birth certificate
Nysc certificate
Police report
Statement of purpose
Letter of sponsor from my dad
Passport photographs
Bank account statement both in Naira and dollars
Letter of appointment from work
Payslip for the last three months
Letter from my boss (explaining that he is expecting me back after my program ends)

These are the documents I provided for my dad since he is the sponsor:

Letter of appointment
Birth certificate
Passport
Bank account statement

Also, I went to Abuja for the authentication of all my documents.

19 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tba11(f): 3:24pm On Feb 17, 2020
Chipzlov:
If you end up not getting a place you may contact me if you won't mind staying in my basement until you get a place

Really, thank you. �

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MumofTwins2017: 3:38pm On Feb 17, 2020
You need to send both including Letter of good standing from NBA.
eryosa0:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Transformium: 8:49pm On Feb 17, 2020
Hayoakins what rate were you given at the airport for CAD?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayoakins(m): 10:36pm On Feb 17, 2020
Transformium:
Hayoakins what rate were you given at the airport for CAD?

November 14

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayoakins(m): 10:39pm On Feb 17, 2020
Everygirl:

PR arrived about two weeks later.

So nice you have gotten your PR card too. How is ACCA CPA conversion going?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tmeeto: 11:28pm On Feb 17, 2020
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tmeeto: 11:30pm On Feb 17, 2020
hayoakins:
LANDING GIST

I had cereal and coco balls in the check-in bag to keep me for the 3days should incase I couldn't find nice food. I emptied it into ziplock nylon and had no issues.

Check in was fast. As usual, I was asked for tips, I told them I had already changed my money. Well I only travelled with 500CAD which I changed at the Airport. I had my debit cards handy though. On the final flight to Toronto, we were giving a declaration form on the flight. If you have more than 10k CAD, please declare it, if you can at all the airports, Nigeria inclusive (better be safe than sorry o)

I landed 7:00am, less immigration queue. I met with the CBSA or na CSBA officer, he asked

1. if my family composition had changed (since I applied as a single immigrant) and

2.If I had any conviction Upon landing. (The playful me almost said yes just to make him laugh since he was looking too serious but thank GOD my village people didn't succeed)

He signed my COPR and I reminded him the need to welcome me to Canada grin. Welcome to Canada, he said smiling.

In Toronto, CBSA share the same partition with Service Canada, less than 1mins walk. I had to wait a bit for them to be ready to attend to us since we came earlier than resumption time I presume. We were giving a small form to fill and in no time, SIN was issued. Agent Lee (an Asian attended to me). Very firm yet shared some good information. The need to layer up clothes, how I need to get on Indeed, LinkedIn etc to start networking.

The next and final check was when I was about exiting the airport. I presume this is where you will need to present your *Goods to follow list*. They may also decide to open and check your luggage. Mine wasn't checked. I used my friend's address in Manitoba, she recieved my PR in 15days and dispatched using DHL to Nigeria which I got 4days after. Custom opened it to confirm the content perhaps Canada Custom or the US.

My phone wouldn't load Uber, thank goodness, a friend in the US whom I was able to call with WhatsApp using the Airport Wifi ordered Uber for me also controlled the driver to my terminal (GOD bless him for me).

I stayed in an Airbnb for the 3days. I landed 7:00am on Friday and left for Nigeria 2:00pm on Monday.

Nice story. Would like to find out some things from you. Pls contact me 08
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ifegy: 5:03am On Feb 18, 2020
dtush:
Thanks a lot for the well explained response. Regards

You're welcome
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayoakins(m): 5:08am On Feb 18, 2020
tmeeto:

Nice story. Would like to find out some things from you. Pls contact me 08020676067

You can PM on Nairaland
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Transformium: 8:16am On Feb 18, 2020
hayoakins:

November 14

Thanks . Which BDC?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tmeeto: 8:47am On Feb 18, 2020
hayoakins:

You can PM on Nairaland

done
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Everygirl: 10:16am On Feb 18, 2020
It's not going yet. I have checked the requirements for Ontario and Alberta, I have downloaded the forms.

But I have not really moved forward from there, lol.

Maybe I will work on it this week

hayoakins:

So nice you have gotten your PR card too. How is ACCA CPA conversion going?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by uche393: 10:38am On Feb 18, 2020
zapata34:
good evening house. For the express entry, whats the procedure for using nysc teaching experience. would the reference letter state nysc?
pls guys I also need info on this
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lansky(m): 1:26pm On Feb 18, 2020
eclectic139:

Don't stress about this.

Thanks a lot smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by KateFowler: 3:09pm On Feb 18, 2020
Any person wants to start a good carrier, especially in Canada. I used to follow https://www.hunt.ca/ which is a perfect way to start looking for a job. They are having a lot of opportunities to find a job really fast and easy.

18 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 79733139(m): 5:00pm On Feb 18, 2020
Please does anyone know of any examination (like CIMA or BCS) that gives the Canadian equivalent of a diploma in Computer Science Technology/Techniques (DCS).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nomad26: 7:55pm On Feb 18, 2020
Hi all, wanted to share this offer from HSBC in case anyone is interested. It's specifically for newcomers, $500 bonus for a min deposit of $10,000 within one month of opening the account. Account is also fee-free for the first year. There's also an additional $200 bonus if you meet certain conditions.
My partner and I landed recently and we needed somewhere to deposit our POF so this was a no brainer!
Here's the link for more info: https://www.hsbc.ca/chequing-accounts/offers/account-offer-ntc/

20 Likes 20 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.