Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (306) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2194597 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oluwapomile1: 3:41pm On Mar 07, 2020
einsteino:

Ryerson University has a bridging program for Engineers. However, I think one of the requirements is that you submit a PEO committee review letter, meaning you first need to have applied for P.Eng and have been instructed by PEO to take further training inorder to meet its academic requirements. In my opinion, aside from PEng license, it doesnt really help you much in the job market.

There is a chemical Engineer I know that recently landed a process engineer job, you might want to hook up with him for pointers. We have a very small whatsapp group of Nigerian Engineers in Canada, it might help to join the group to get a diverse opinion as I can only know so little outside my discipline(Civil Engrng).
Hi. Is the group still in existence? How do one join the group?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by edababa007(m): 3:50pm On Mar 07, 2020
Stop misleading people. Have been staying in the NE for almost 3 years. Rented in Skyview for 2 years and recently bought our own house in Cornerstone. If you mentioned specific areas in northeast with high crime rates, I might be able to clarify more. But don't include areas in the NE like Skyview, Cornerstone, Savannah, Redstone, Cityscape and Livingston in your myopic generalization.

quote author=Onlineise post=87216103]

Stay away from NE, to put it in 9ja way for you, my wife once drove to Surulere to make her hair, parked her car outside, came back and two side mirrors were gone...if you can relate to that then you relate to NE.

SW-NW-SE in that order.[/quote]

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:26pm On Mar 07, 2020
Edoblakky:
Thanks for this information. I've been living in Calgary for about 5 years now and the most dangerous place I know of is downtown and crimes are not as rampant as experienced in many American cities. The NE houses the airport and many establishments. What people say about the NE are mostly heresay. I know many people living in the NE and I don't know any with a terrible experience.
Last winter, a car was stolen opposite my house in NW because the owner didn't have a remote starter and had to manually turn on her car but before the car warmed up, a thief drove it off

I dey fear downtown. The other day someone got slapped on the train. Just like that, he was talking to his friend and the guy seated across from him just slapped his mouth. Also saw a video recently of a lady pushing an elderly woman off the platform, unto the tracks. Since then I always stand well in the middle of the platform when downtown.

The worse the reputation of NE is, the cheaper rents get. So no wahala.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:34pm On Mar 07, 2020
salford1:

I lived in Taracove for around 2years too before I moved to Aspen/Springbank area later on. After the move, I still travel at least once in two weeks to buy food stuffs.
U know a couple of Nigerians that bought houses around the coventry hills area.
The areas I find a bit sketchy in the NE quadrant are the Rundle, Forest Lawn, Marlborough and maybe Martindale area. There were always 2 CPS vehicles permanently stationed at the Malborough Wal-Mart cheesy

That Taracove area looks very quiet and calm and the houses are fine. Martindale is okay nowadays, but they say Saddletowne is having a gang problem. Some areas of falconridge are not fine at all and they don't look good on the crime map.

The good thing about NE is if living there, the only thing that might carry you to other quadrants is work or to visit friends. Everything is there, and public transport is very accessible. The bad thing is that the schools rank poorly on that index (I forget the name).

I hear Marlborough WalMart is the busiest in Canada.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:35pm On Mar 07, 2020
Edoblakky:
Forest lawn is in the SE but Marlborough is NE. The Memorial drive divides Calgary into North and South while Centre street and MacLeod trail divide the city into East and West.

TIL
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Edoblakky(m): 4:39pm On Mar 07, 2020
19CannyMum:

I dey fear downtown. The other day someone got slapped on the train. Just like that, he was talking to his friend and the guy seated across from him just slapped his mouth. Also saw a video recently of a lady pushing an elderly woman off the platform, unto the tracks. Since then I always stand well in the middle of the platform when downtown.

I go to downtown regularly and it's not that dangerous during the day but at night, be wary of lone walkers. Some of them are lunatics. Even a Nigerian lady was killed last year watching over a lunatic. I wonder why they don't restrict their lunatics.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:39pm On Mar 07, 2020
edababa007:
Stop misleading people. Have been staying in the NE for almost 3 years. Rented in Skyview for 2 years and recently bought our own house in Cornerstone. If you mentioned specific areas in northeast with high crime rates, I might be able to clarify more. But don't include areas in the NE like Skyview, Cornerstone, Savannah, Redstone, Cityscape and Livingston in your myopic generalization.

quote author=Onlineise post=87216103]

Stay away from NE, to put it in 9ja way for you, my wife once drove to Surulere to make her hair, parked her car outside, came back and two side mirrors were gone...if you can relate to that then you relate to NE.

SW-NW-SE in that order.

My problem with those areas is that living there is just like living in the deep SE or SW. Everything is far compared to if you're living in say Taradale or Monterey Park. But I like the area because of the new houses lol.

And please allow people to keep generalizing those areas as NE and unsafe, so that we will be able to afford house there when we're ready.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:42pm On Mar 07, 2020
Edoblakky:
I go to downtown regularly and it's not that dangerous during the day but at night, be wary of lone walkers. Some of them are lunatics. Even a Nigerian lady was killed last year watching over a lunatic. I wonder why they don't restrict their lunatics.

These two gists I shared were during the day o, I don't see what will make me walk alone downtown when it's dark.

It's the opium problem. And the safe injection site downtown has concentrated the number of crackheads in one area.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DboyizGood(m): 5:45pm On Mar 07, 2020
stonecoldcafe:

Welcome to Canada. Give yourself sometime and everywhere go soft, lol
One of the best things I learnt from this thread before leaving Nigeria was bringing my powerbank along with me.
God bless the lady who made that comment here cos I was almost dashing it out. If your phone battery is not too strong and you will be using public transport for a while plus coming in winter, Please bring it along. Put inside bag when going out, e dey help oh. Cold dey hook phone for here wen nor too strong. grin

Also not sure how sound Google map is in Nigeria. Try learning how to use it. God knows I still walk around in circles but I'm alot better than when I first landed. God bless you all

Thanks for the tip. Just kind of over whelmed with the whole thing here but I know it can only get better
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 6:12pm On Mar 07, 2020
Oluwapomile1:

Hi. Is the group still in existence? How do one join the group?
yes, it is.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ArabianRose(f): 12:29am On Mar 08, 2020
A female roommate wanted in a 3 bedroom apartment in a very central area in Mississauga, steps away from bus stops & terminal, mall, banks, community center/library, Grocery stores, African store and a GO station. The Room is unfurnished, however other shared areas of the house is furnished. Lease is for 6 months with high possibility of extension, move in date- April 1st,2020, first and last month rent required. Please email Darcelave7@gmail.com if interested.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 12:37am On Mar 08, 2020
I was so glad to read that you and your family made it here. I pray the land is more than you could have wished for. I have been around but not as active anymore. Right now, I work fulltime and school fulltime at the same time(I don't know how I am coping sef). it is a high pressure life and something just had to give.

Hafsat24:

Einsteino too, I love love your write ups. I don't know if you are still on nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hafsat24(f): 1:31am On Mar 08, 2020
einsteino:
I was so glad to read that you and your family made it here. I pray the land is more than you could have wished for. I have been around but not as active anymore. Right now, I work fulltime and school fulltime at the same time(I don't know how I am coping sef). it is a high pressure life and something just had to give.

Oh thank you so much. Amen and for us all.
Lol I know right. The 24 hrs here feels like 18hrs cheesy cheesy cheesy

You will pull through, best to do it once and for all and rest. I put school on hold but since you're doing both, I think imma hit you up on tips about how you're doing it grin grin grin

Overall the experience has been a life changing one.
Lol now I'm so accountable for time cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by damzy88: 4:52am On Mar 08, 2020
salford1:

Wow. Thanks very much for coming back here to show appreciation. This means a lot to some of us. May God continue to bless you and your family as you set up firm root in this beautiful country of ours.
Bros, I sent you a pm. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 5:42am On Mar 08, 2020
19CannyMum:

Abeg make una dey cautious o. In 2017, a nigerian was stabbed to death on a train in calgary. Dude just walked up to him and stabbed him for no reason.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 5:47am On Mar 08, 2020
Hafsat24:

Oh thank you so much. Amen and for us all.
Lol I know right. The 24 hrs here feels like 18hrs cheesy cheesy cheesy

You will pull through, best to do it once and for all and rest. I put school on hold but since you're doing both, I think imma hit you up on tips about how you're doing it grin grin grin

Overall the experience has been a life changing one.
Lol now I'm so accountable for time cheesy cheesy cheesy

lol @ the bolded. so true, over here every second matters. for school and work, the first step is to choose the job wisely(assuming you aren't already locked down). Some jobs would just not work with school, no matter what.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Torapcan(m): 6:25am On Mar 08, 2020
There is a logic behind crime-rate concentration and locations in Calgary.
As much as possible, exercise caution at locations near Ctrain stations...North or South.

author=edababa007 post=87243322]Stop misleading people. Have been staying in the NE for almost 3 years. Rented in Skyview for 2 years and recently bought our own house in Cornerstone. If you mentioned specific areas in northeast with high crime rates, I might be able to clarify more. But don't include areas in the NE like Skyview, Cornerstone, Savannah, Redstone, Cityscape and Livingston in your myopic generalization.][i][/i]

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sarang(f): 7:27am On Mar 08, 2020
Hi guys

I am running out of options.
My work permit is expiring fast and my PR is in process but I lost my job attached to it.

I am looking for work asap
I live in Saskatchewan but I’m willing to relocate
Finding it so hard to get a replacement job

Anyone who can help please pm me
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lopemidorcy: 5:23pm On Mar 08, 2020
Newmum0615:
wink
@Newmum0615 please I sent a PM .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Edoblakky(m): 6:50pm On Mar 08, 2020
Sarang:
Hi guys

My work permit is expiring fast and my PR is in process but I lost my job attached to it.

I think you can extend your permit with the acknowledgement of your PR application or call CIC and they can fast track your process
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chukwuemeka275(m): 7:57pm On Mar 08, 2020
Good day people, I'm new here just wondering whether it is true that there's now a ban on food items coming into Canada from passengers effective March 1? Before person go lose food stuff.
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wengerly(m): 9:55pm On Mar 08, 2020
Onlineise:

SW-NW-SE in that order.

Haba! That's an unfair exaggeration. These places are not as bad as that. I lived in forest lawn for 2 years and never experienced any incident.

If you maintain your lane, you will not have anything to worry about.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hafsat24(f): 11:51pm On Mar 08, 2020
einsteino:

lol @ the bolded. so true, over here every second matters. for school and work, the first step is to choose the job wisely(assuming you aren't already locked down). Some jobs would just not work with school, no matter what.

Yes that is so true undecided. I will need to seriously weigh this before deciding. Thanks for this. You've given me something to seriously think about cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 4:43am On Mar 09, 2020
Sarang:
Hi guys

IRCC designed Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) for this kind of situation . Google it and you’ll see all the requirements, the main one is the Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) of your e-APR(electronic Application for PR)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sarang(f): 7:44am On Mar 09, 2020
canadaman18:

IRCC designed Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) for this kind of situation . Google it and you’ll see all the requirements, the main one is the Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) of your e-APR(electronic Application for PR)

Yea but in this case, my nomination was closed to one employment so I can’t apply for a bridging open work permit now
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sarang(f): 7:44am On Mar 09, 2020
Edoblakky:
I think you can extend your permit with the acknowledgement of your PR application or call CIC and they can fast track your process

CIC can do that?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Victorex001(m): 10:11am On Mar 09, 2020
Pls house, I’ll like to ask a question.

I got an opportunity for a 1yr Canada work permit...but want to ask if it can be possible for me to apply for Post Graduate study when I get to Canada with my 1yr work permit?

Pls House...I’ll like to know your ideas and advises.

Thanks House.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AdetonaDami(m): 10:42am On Mar 09, 2020
einsteino:
yes, it is.

Please I would love to join the engineers group too. I sent you a pm
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by portablesuzy: 3:17pm On Mar 09, 2020
please anybody in the house living in quebec. want to ask about job opportunities, living standards there ve not seen anyone saying anything about quebec in general. i heard that if someone wants to pick up a job in quebec u have to speak frencch also
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Victorex001(m): 3:32pm On Mar 09, 2020
Sarang:
Hi guys

Hello...pls Ma, I’m working towards getting my 1yr work Permit for Canada.

What are my chances to getting PR after/before my 1yr work permit expires??

Pls Ma, I’ll appreciate a response. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Victorex001(m): 3:34pm On Mar 09, 2020
canadaman18:

What are my chances to getting PR after/before my 1yr work permit expires?? I’m skeptical about going ahead with the visa.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 3:42pm On Mar 09, 2020
Victorex001:

What are my chances to getting PR after/before my 1yr work permit expires?? I’m skeptical about going ahead with the visa.

1 year work permit I smell scam

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.