Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,711 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (321) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2192244 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) (324) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Aka2003: 3:03pm On Apr 13, 2020
kpnick:

There was no where it said I didn't qualify. I have read the requirements over and over again. Besides they specifically created a way for ppl in this situation to apply. But if it comes to paying back, no problem. These are uncertain times, nobody knows the way this pandemic will affect things[b]. It's better to have money at hand.[/b]
My point exactly sir. However as per your eligibility I am no CRA official but based on what I read on their site it is only people who lost their jobs or had reduced working hours as a direct consequence of COVID-19 that are eligible. It does not say people who could not find a job due to COVID-19 are eligible. But like I said this is only my opinion and should be taken as such. I am also of the opinion that when one is not sure if he is eligible then he should apply anyway since the worst case is to pay back without interest.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
Aka2003:
My point exactly sir. However as per your eligibility I am no CRA official but based on what I read on their site it is only people who lost their jobs or had reduced working hours as a direct consequence of COVID-19 that are eligible. It does not say people who could not find a job due to COVID-19 are eligible. But like I said this is only my opinion and should be taken as such. I am also of the opinion that when one is not sure if he is eligible then he should apply anyway since the worst case is to pay back without interest.

You have spoken, abi na written sef, well. I can bet he'd definitely be refunding that money, because no one can draw from a well you never helped to build or contributed to (well, unless for Refugees).

Guys, just be careful. This is a system with good databases and RECORD KEEPING, so it may not just be about refunds only. If you can, manage your POF jejely.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cadillac15(m): 9:11pm On Apr 13, 2020
salford1:

CRA at a later date reviews tax returns filed. Most are straight forward e.g. T4s already submitted directly by employer to CRA, T5s already submitted directly to CRA by financial institutions, T4As submitted directly to CRA by Students loans etc. These slam dunk returns are hardly reassessed.

However there are some scenarios where returns are reassessed. e.g.

Case 1
Sometimes, you forget to report an earning or expense, so you can trigger the reassessment yourself by applying for a T1 adjustment or amendment.

Case 2
There are situations where the CRA can't tell if you are being honest with your submissions e.g. donations (religious donations inclusive), professional membership association (if not reported already on T4), childcare fees, self employment expenses etc.

After review, they may likely send you an email or a post to submit documents (proof to back up your claim). If you don't send it in within a time period (30 days I think), your tax return would be reassessed and adjusted accordingly. This would mean you end up owing or due for more refund. Most times it's the former.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/income-tax-review.html

https://taxsolutionscanada.com/cra-notice-of-reassessment/

Ok I get now.

That's what tax consultants call an audit. Different terms, same meaning.

Thanks boss!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cadillac15(m): 9:23pm On Apr 13, 2020
Everygirl:
Hi everyone! Happy Easter

Please does anyone use any investment apps here in Canada. I will appreciate suggestions.

Thanks

What sort of investment are you looking at?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 9:40pm On Apr 13, 2020
Cadillac15:

Ok I get now.

That's what tax consultants call an audit. Different terms, same meaning.

Thanks boss!
As per CRA, what I posted is not an audit. An audit is more intense and they usually target business owners for that. They could even send a representative to a business office. What I posted is more of a review/verification.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Remicynt(f): 10:28pm On Apr 13, 2020
Please I need the help of anyone who has gone through spouse unaccompanied to Canada and has been successful in bringing the spouse over after PR. I am currently on 450 but with the current crs score I need a 469-471 ND I can only achieve that with spouse unaccompanied. I will really appreciate. I can be contacted on rymzolu22@yahoodotcom.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by caseynewnn: 1:16am On Apr 14, 2020
Remicynt:
Please I need the help of anyone who has gone through spouse unaccompanied to Canada and has been successful in bringing the spouse over after PR. I am currently on 450 but with the current crs score I need a 469-471 ND I can only achieve that with spouse unaccompanied. I will really appreciate. I can be contacted on rymzolu22@yahoodotcom.
Alot of people have successfully brought in spouses that were declared unaccompanied in their application.it is even easier and faster.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 1:36am On Apr 14, 2020
Good evening,

Here is my question:
When showing funds, does it have to cover year 1 and 2? Or i need to show funds for just year 1?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by purplerain(f): 1:48am On Apr 14, 2020
Try Wealthsimple. It's very easy to use!

Everygirl:
Hi everyone! Happy Easter

Please does anyone use any investment apps here in Canada. I will appreciate suggestions.

Thanks

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cadillac15(m): 5:43am On Apr 14, 2020
salford1:

As per CRA, what I posted is not an audit. An audit is more intense and they usually target business owners for that. They could even send a representative to a business office. What I posted is more of a review/verification.

Wow. Thats serious then. These guys seems like the real FBI of Canada.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Everygirl: 2:44pm On Apr 14, 2020
thanks, the reviews werent great though. Please do you use it?

purplerain:
Try Wealthsimple. It's very easy to use!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sharpsharp: 4:48pm On Apr 14, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:
Good evening,

Here is my question:
When showing funds, does it have to cover year 1 and 2? Or i need to show funds for just year 1?

Thanks.

It's best to show funds for the 2 years for more chances.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lunah(f): 9:20pm On Apr 14, 2020
Hi Everyone! I have a question please.
How can I go about getting a foreigners work permit as a medical professional?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by purplerain(f): 1:12am On Apr 15, 2020
Yes I do. I have several accouts with them including RESP for my daughter.

Everygirl:
thanks, the reviews werent great though. Please do you use it?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dialinn: 4:57am On Apr 15, 2020
hi folks, if you are seeking or know somebody seeking accommodation for a couple of months in the Milton/Oakville area for a couple of months with the possibility of extensions, please holla +1-647-968-9280 for further information. thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Changeofscene(m): 5:09am On Apr 15, 2020
Debv:
Part 2
The next day, we went to bredin learning centre at Edmonton we were appointed counsellors.
So far so good, I've been able to open a bank account with Scotia bank, I have a health card now and I've gone for several check up with the doctor free of charge. I wrote the knowledge test and passed, I know have the class 7 driver's licence.
But finding a job has not been easy, I've applied for various jobs, but i have not gotten any cos of the pandemic. I went for interview at Walmart twice, but I was not picked.
Staying here has been a good one, the main challenge is finding a job.
Thanks for reading........

Welcome to Canada and Edmonton.Try applying to other retail grocery stores and warehouses too.They are the ones actively hiring currently.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Everygirl: 10:02am On Apr 15, 2020
thanks!

purplerain:
Yes I do. I have several accouts with them including RESP for my daughter.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2020
sharpsharp:

It's best to show funds for the 2 years for more chances.

Okay. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Admin9: 11:34pm On Apr 15, 2020
Good evening,

How is the oil and gas industry in Canada like? I got into oil and gas engineering in memorial uni.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by damilola1978: 3:41am On Apr 16, 2020
Admin9:
Good evening,

How is the oil and gas industry in Canada like? I got into oil and gas engineering in memorial uni.
if you can, switch to reliability engineering (if the course is being offered) and thank me later

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Admin9: 7:47am On Apr 16, 2020
damilola1978:
if you can, switch to reliability engineering (if the course is being offered) and thank me later

Why?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ChukzB007: 12:41pm On Apr 16, 2020
omidan21:
Hubby received ITA today under PnP program we were nominated by Manitoba last month.

I just came here to take a sneak peak by Gods Grace I speak into existence, We shall write our Landing gist here on or before the end of this year . Looking forward to Joining this big family

wow, huge congratulations to you and hubby.

I'm currently in the mpnp and ee pool awaiting nomination.
can I reach you via whatsapp, please?
or email: chimeziebright09@gmail.com
pls, pls I'll really appreciate your feedback on this.

thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:43pm On Apr 16, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

Admin9:
Good evening,

The oil industry in Canada has been struggling since the oil wahala of 2014. Over 70% of Canada's oil is in Alberta, and out of that 80% is bitumen/heavy crude. This means it is expensive to mine. Canada's major producers need a break even price of circa $50 a barrel. I am sure you know what crude oil prices are going for nowadays.

I was affected by the glut in 2015. Moved away from Alberta to work in a different industry in Sask. My current employer somehow pushed me back into oil related projects all over Saskatchewan. I was happy these projects were small producers mining light crude with lower production costs.

However, the moment this covid began plus the Saudi/Russia issue, oil prices took a further beating, so these light crude producers have started cutting back too. Just about 15 min ago, I received an email about more oil related projects being cancelled. I have been receiving such emails since last week. I have kept myself busy working on non-oil projects.

I am not sure if this is an industry you would like to get into. I had the believe that things would return to the way they were pre 2014 era, but 6 years later, the industry is still struggling coupled with the fact that renewable energy is picking up steam . This is probably why damilola1978 encouraged you to switch to Reliability Engineering. With Reliability or Mech, you can get a job in the O&G plus other industries. If just O&G, then you will be restricting yourself to one particular industry.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Admin9: 6:43pm On Apr 16, 2020
salford1:

The oil industry in Canada has been struggling since the oil wahala of 2014. Over 70% of Canada's oil is in Alberta, and out of that 80% is bitumen/heavy crude. This means it is expensive to mine. Canada's major producers need a break even price of circa $50 a barrel. I am sure you know what crude oil prices are going for nowadays.

I was affected by the glut in 2015. Moved away from Alberta to work in a different industry in Sask. My current employer somehow pushed me back into oil related projects all over Saskatchewan. I was happy these projects were small producers mining light crude with lower production costs.

However, the moment this covid began plus the Saudi/Russia issue, oil prices took a further beating, so these light crude producers have started cutting back too. Just about 15 min ago, I received an email about more oil related projects being cancelled. I have been receiving such emails since last week. I have kept myself busy working on non-oil projects.

I am not sure if this is an industry you would like to get into. I had the believe that things would return to the way they were pre 2014 era, but 6 years later, the industry is still struggling coupled with the fact that renewable energy is picking up steam . This is probably why damilola1978 encouraged you to switch to Reliability Engineering. With Reliability or Mech, you can get a job in the O&G plus other industries. If just O&G, then you will be restricting yourself to one particular industry.

Thank you so much. Since i have a bachelor's degree in mechanical from Nigeria, would a master's degree from oil and gas engineering still limit me to o&g?

What course did you study?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Heltinking(m): 6:43pm On Apr 16, 2020
salford1:

What about remote sensing and GIS job prospects sir?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GreaterDC(m): 6:50pm On Apr 16, 2020
Please can i get a librarian job in canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sthill5: 7:35pm On Apr 16, 2020
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 7:44pm On Apr 16, 2020
Heltinking:

What about remote sensing and GIS job prospects sir?
GiS is good. Infact, a laid off Geologist previously (worked for Schlumberger, Calgary) had to retrain at SAIT by taking the BAPT program. I no longer remember where he works after the BAPT program..

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by damilola1978: 7:44pm On Apr 16, 2020
Not necessarily but the truth is you're most likely going to use your O&G cert to find a job rather than your Mech cert...like Salford said and with my own experience as regards Reliability Engineering...your opportunity would be more interms of different industries and unlike Nigeria, Canada is very intense on maintainability because machine build, deployment or construction is highly expensive...hence the need for people who can actually assess the reliability of machinery and adequately improve PM/CM, MTTR and MTBF but then again you cant go wrong on doing your O&G cert
Admin9:

Thank you so much. Since i have a bachelor's degree in mechanical from, Nigeria, would a master's degree from oil and gas engineering still limit me to o&g?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slushy: 8:21pm On Apr 16, 2020
Hello good people. So I submitted my passport say 1st week in March. This was before the escalation in Ghana and Nigeria. As it stands, there’s no feedback from VFS or IRCC and I can’t even track the passport online. I am so so worried. Is it possible for them not to issue the PR at this stage? Am I just worrying for nothing? Epp me plis grin angry cry cry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Admin9: 10:08pm On Apr 16, 2020
damilola1978:
Not necessarily but the truth is you're most likely going to use your O&G cert to find a job rather than your Mech cert...like Salford said and with my own experience as regards Reliability Engineering...your opportunity would be more interms of different industries and unlike Nigeria, Canada is very intense on maintainability because machine build, deployment or construction is highly expensive...hence the need for people who can actually access the reliability of machinery and adequately improve PM/CM, MTTR and MTBF but then again you cant go wrong on doing your O&G cert

Thanks so much. I truly appreciate
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ambidextrause: 11:59pm On Apr 16, 2020
Hello All,

Do you know anyone who's renting a 1-bedroom apartment/flat in Calgary (SW or NW)? Shared accommodation is also being searched for presently.

Please let me know. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) (324) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.