Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,528 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (423) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2193288 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 5:43am On Dec 30, 2020
cooooooks:
I saw that someone you're dating is considered an extended family member under current COVID rules.

Any idea on how this might affect someone already in Canada if sending letter of invitation for visit?

Do you mean the statutory declaration form? Or are you asking if inviting your girlfriend/boyfriend with the new arrangement the Government of Canada just implemented will affect future invitations from you to other people?.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by FavourAmachukwu: 6:14am On Dec 30, 2020
Hello everyone in the house, trust we all are doing good.
Please I want to book a flight for February, Ethiopian airline from Abuja to Edmonton. Will my immigration check be in Toronto or in Edmonton? Because if it will be in Toronto, I may likely miss my flight to Edmonton.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cooooooks(m): 6:58am On Dec 30, 2020
The latter seems more apt.

Do you think the current rules pertaining to family/relatives will persist post COVID and affect/guide future Invitations?

NaijaCanadian28:

Do you mean the statutory declaration form? Or are you asking if inviting your girlfriend/boyfriend with the new arrangement the Government of Canada just implemented will affect future invitations from you to other people?.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DottaofGod: 7:21am On Dec 30, 2020
Thank You!!
Teamo2:
There is a telegram group for Ontario residents. Send a pm to @amdman. He was the one that added me to the group.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DottaofGod: 7:25am On Dec 30, 2020
Hi.pls can i be added to this group.sent u a pm
amdman:

We have an Ontario Telegram Group, but strictly for those that have landed.

Send me a PM when you land.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pleasant19: 10:47am On Dec 30, 2020
Flakeyy:

Thank you ednut. I'll send them a message right away.
13,000... Wow... The Lord is my strength.

If you chose to go with CPA, the first thing to do is to evaluate your BSc and see if you need to take prerequisite courses. If you need to take prerequisite courses, you can look for a diploma that covers all you need and will give you a certificate also. If you go the school route you will have access to loan and grant to cover your prep courses. Once you start working your employer can pay for the PEP part of CPA.
Here is a link to post secondary institutions for Ontario.
https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/why-cpa/prerequisites

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by esoheo: 2:19pm On Dec 30, 2020
Hi amdman. I am interested in the telegram group. I have landed and currently in quarantine. Please could you add me. I sent a mail
amdman:

We have an Ontario Telegram Group, but strictly for those that have landed.

Send me a PM when you land.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by LecturerIFE: 2:43pm On Dec 30, 2020
FavourAmachukwu:
Please I want to book a flight for February, Ethiopian airline from Abuja to Edmonton. Will my immigration check be in Toronto or in Edmonton? Because if it will be in Toronto, I may likely miss my flight to Edmonton.

Toronto. Should you miss your flight, Air Canada will reschedule your flight at no cost.

Rule of thumb is to allow at least two to three hours for landing formalities before your connecting flight.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Flakeyy: 2:46pm On Dec 30, 2020
Pleasant19:

If you chose to go with CPA, the first thing to do is to evaluate your BSc and see if you need to take prerequisite courses. If you need to take prerequisite courses, you can look for a diploma that covers all you need and will give you a certificate also. If you go the school route you will have access to loan and grant to cover your prep courses. Once you start working your employer can pay for the PEP part of CPA.
Here is a link to post secondary institutions for Ontario.
https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/why-cpa/prerequisites

Thank you so much. I'm most grateful.
Please would I have to send my transcript to Wes again, or the eca done is enough??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kachikapor(m): 3:01pm On Dec 30, 2020
snowlordng:
you can do it online ...you don't need to contact anyone ...everything is in their school website ...my uncle is working there

Thanks for your response Snowlordng. I have done the needful online and paid all the fees. Since September this year and yet no response. Now i’m thinking we need see someone face to face to help us fasttrack it. Do you think your uncle who works there could help? i would appreciate his contact information. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Xuxu208: 3:37pm On Dec 30, 2020
Insidelifee:

Stop looking down on people and their profession especially in this canada,i had to log in to respond to you...honestly i am worth over a million Canadian dollars and yet do call centre jobs,do you know why?i just want to get the Canadian experience and move to my field,its the same thing that applies to so many people u see,when you talk to alot of people doing this job you would find out how rich or educated they are,i know bosses back home in nigeria,branch managers,groupheads etc that are here doing callcentres but do u know what?its temporary they always breakthrough.So out of curiosity when u see a black cleaner again chat with him up and find out his background,who knows you might even be able to find a postion for him in your company....enjoy

You have a million Canadian dollars and you are doing call centre jobs? And people believe this? Wow....My only advice to people using this thread to obtain information about Canada is to make google your friend. There are too many lies and half-truths about the reality of life in Canada on this thread. If someone makes an assertion about Canada, go and do your own research on google. It's all the lies and half-truths that ensure new immigrants to Canada face the bitter reality after landing, sooner or later.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Xuxu208: 3:45pm On Dec 30, 2020
AnthonyAk:

Chinese folks are laundering money in Canada. Its an open secret and the Canadians are in bed with them.

Real estate is the #1 contributor to the Canadian gdp

And for those who don't believe him, go and read it yourselves, maybe you'll be convinced then: https://www.occrp.org/en/daily/11760-canada-real-estate-firms-violate-anti-money-laundering-rules
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WeAreDLucky1s: 6:31pm On Dec 30, 2020
Flakeyy:
Hello everyone. Compliments of the season. I just got my PR and we're planning to land next month. Please I have a few questions and I'll appreciate if you guys can put me through.

1. I'm pregnant. We plan to land in Toronto, and I'll be about 35weeks gone by then. Does Ontario still do the 3 months wait before we're eligible for health insurance?? If yes, please which province issues health insurance within a week??

2. I'm an accountant, Do the CPA exams from the scratch, or do a diploma or Masters that covers some or all of the CPA courses
I would be grateful if I can get clarification from a landed senior.

Thank you

Hello Flakeyy,

Congratulations on your PPR.

Many have responded to this already, however I wanted to quickly draw your attention to "safe time to fly" for pregnant women. Please note that the internationally recommended is 32 weeks. Although some airline - specific - may allow up till 35 weeks but must include a "fit to fly" from your GP or reliable hospital. Please put this in mind as you search for the airline also enquire about their options for pregnant women.

Secondly as regards the OHIP, yes you can get help right away when you land, in fact I will advise you to contact a midwife since that is most likely what you'll be using as a resident without Health Insurance Card - surely you dont want to pay when you can be on insurance. As such, start browsing the closest midwives association closest to your choice of residence.

Also do not forget the 14day quarantine period, meaning if you have to wait to 35 weeks before flying, you'll be almost due at 37weeks.

Kindly put the above 2 factors into consideration when deciding when to fly, I sincerely wish you haven't booked yet, because as you said, please do not consider birthing in Nigeria...please do not! My wife and I even got a placement early this year with 2 midwives and had interviews and zoom sessions already without landing yet or even PPR self only for our hopes to be dashed...well as you know corona and Ottawa change hand for us...baby is now 4months and we still dey naija..lol

See the link to the Ontario midwives page, use the search option to find the closest to your choice of destination /residence.

HERE

Lastly, although I no b Accountant o, but from what I know, seen, researched and heard, please do not go for M.Sc unless you want to consider it for the grant or if you'll get scholarship. The reason is that Canada is more concerned with what you can deliver not the paper you have. Indeed, many take the Masters route to get the right Network or connection, but do not consider it as an alternative to your Professional Certification. And, don't be surprised if your Line Manager or supervisor only hold a Diploma. Infact, soft skills they say, will take you further, remember most migrants in Canada are professional from their home country. But soft skills isn't learnt in schools in many foreign countries Nigeria inclusive.

PS: please, consider the airline's "fit to fly" options and the 14days quarantine requirements.

I sincerely hope this is helpful, and I'll like to thank you for reading.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 6:34pm On Dec 30, 2020
Xuxu208:

And for those who don't believe him, go and read it yourselves, maybe you'll be convinced then: https://www.occrp.org/en/daily/11760-canada-real-estate-firms-violate-anti-money-laundering-rules

People don't understand the struggle that is waiting for them. If you don't come here properly equipped with either a proper experience and education or alot of laundered money then ur in for the ride of ur life.

Working menial jobs is just cycle once u begin, its hard to get out. The longer u work them the longer your career is on hold.

A friend of mine was a factory manager (Nigerian) for Postman Foods here in Vancouver. He hired a nigerian pastor with 6 kids and no income against his better judgement.

First day of work pastor cant make it because he has a church program and the GO of the church was coming.

Few weeks later pastor cant work saying his back hurts. Within the 2 months the pastor was hired he has already missed over 6 days of work for one reason or another. Pastor eventually got sacked by my friend. Mind you this pastor is age mates with my dad. I was really surprised the pastor was even given a PR in the first place.

I cant even imagine being sacked by some one that should be my sons age mate. But that is the reality of things

There are no hand outs here. In fact as an immigrant ur at a disadvantage from the moment you step here and you have to work up hill.

I may have been blunt in my responses but its only because i shine a harsh reality on life here, with out your friends and families and the environment you grew up.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 6:35pm On Dec 30, 2020
Xuxu208:

You have a million Canadian dollars and you are doing call centre jobs? And people believe this? Wow....My only advice to people using this thread to obtain information about Canada is to make google your friend. There are too many lies and half-truths about the reality of life in Canada on this thread. If someone makes an assertion about Canada, go and do your own research on google. It's all the lies and half-truths that ensure new immigrants to Canada face the bitter reality after landing, sooner or later.

Lol that guy was give us bobo juice make we drink
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 6:40pm On Dec 30, 2020
FavourAmachukwu:

Your passport will be checked at the first point of entry in Canada. So if your landing in Toronto , you will land in the international wing where you will go through immigration.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 6:48pm On Dec 30, 2020
cooooooks:
The latter seems more apt.

Do you think the current rules pertaining to family/relatives will persist post COVID and affect/guide future Invitations?

I don’t think the rules will persist post COVID. The rules were implemented because of the travel restrictions due to COVID. Hopefully, with the vaccine in circulation, things will go back to normal soon. I also don’t think it will affect future invitations, so far there’s no misrepresentation.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Insidelifee: 6:53pm On Dec 30, 2020
AnthonyAk:

Lol that guy was give us bobo juice make we drink

Believe it or not it does not change anything,like i said i am a woman not a man,i do the job so i do not sit idle. And my point still remains respect people irrespective of the job they do,a friend is visiting me today she has an MBA,was an SBO in the bank in Nigeria(for bankers u know she has grown high)we both do call centre here.The struggles people go through,its all part of the big story.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 7:05pm On Dec 30, 2020
Insidelifee:

Believe it or not it does not change anything,like i said i am a woman not a man,i do the job so i do not sit idle. And my point still remains respect people irrespective of the job they do,a friend is visiting me today she has an MBA,was an SBO in the bank in Nigeria(for bankers u know she has grown high)we both do call centre here.The struggles people go through,its all part of the big story.

I have to do what you have to do....

So question, Whats your linkedin? Just want to see something
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 7:09pm On Dec 30, 2020
WeAreDLucky1s:

Hello Flakeyy,

Many have responded to this already, however I wanted to quickly draw your attention to "safe time to fly" for pregnant women. Please note that the internationally recommended is 32 weeks. Although some airline - specific - may allow up till 35 weeks but must include a "fit to fly" from your GP or reliable hospital. Please put this in mind as you search for the airline also enquire about their options for pregnant women.

Secondly as regards the OHIP, yes you can get help right away when you land, in fact I will advise you to contact a midwife since that is most likely what you'll be using as a resident without Health Insurance Card - surely you dont want to pay when you can be on insurance. As such, start browsing the closest midwives association closest to your choice of residence.

Also do not forget the 14day quarantine period, meaning if you have to wait to 35 weeks before flying, you'll be almost due at 37weeks.

Kindly put the above 2 factors into consideration when deciding when to fly, I sincerely wish you haven't booked yet, because as you said, please do not consider birthing in Nigeria...please do not! My wife and I even got a placement early this year with 2 midwives and had interviews and zoom sessions already without landing yet or even PPR self only for our hopes to be dashed...well as you know corona and Ottawa change hand for us...baby is now 4months and we still dey naija..lol

See the link to the Ontario midwives page, use the search option to find the closest to your choice of destination /residence.

HERE

Lastly, although I no b Accountant o, but from what I know, seen, researched and heard, please do not go for M.Sc unless you want to consider it for the grant or if you'll get scholarship. The reason is that Canada is more concerned with what you can deliver not the paper you have. Indeed, many take the Masters route to get the right Network or connection, but do not consider it as an alternative to your Professional Certification. And, don't be surprised if your Line Manager or supervisor only hold a Diploma. Infact, soft skills they say, will take you further, remember most migrants in Canada are professional from their home country. But soft skills isn't learnt in schools in many foreign countries Nigeria inclusive.

PS: please, consider the airline's "fit to fly" options and the 14days quarantine requirements.

Hmmm...these are very valid points ooo. I was about 7 months pregnant when I moved in 2015. I remember almost not finding a midwife. They all said I was too close to term and didn’t have any slots. Thank God I finally got a spot with Diversity Midwives . I was an international student when I came in 2015 and didn’t have OHIP initially. I didn’t have to pay for my labs, Ultrasound and epidural (The midwife practice I used had arrangements that made this possible). Another thing to note is that Midwives can’t handle high risk pregnancies. Common reasons why they deem a pregnancy high risk in Canada are - having a chronic condition like diabetes and hypertension and being over 35. There maybe other factors. In this case, the midwife will transfer your care to an Obstetrician. You can also decide to keep the midwife but your OB will be the main caregiver. Midwifery care is great sha, it’s very personal and they do home visits after having your baby. They may even help with things like bathing your newborn.

In addition , I’m praying your family gets PPR soon. All the best!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by emmasite05(m): 8:23pm On Dec 30, 2020
A fully furnished studio basement apartment is available for rent in a quiet neighborhood in Brampton, Greater Toronto Area
All Utilities Included
* Laundry and Dryer Ensuite
* Separate Entrance
*Cable
*Internet
*Complete kitchen with stove and fridge
* Parking Available.
* Available from January 1, 2021
Reach out through email (emmasite05@yahoo.com) for further details
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jbach: 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2020
Lastly, you must present a covid 19 negative test certificate which is compulsory for all travelers landing in Canada. This is the latest news by the Canadian government as at this evening.
Cheers
WeAreDLucky1s:

Hello Flakeyy,

HERE

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by angels1: 10:02pm On Dec 30, 2020
If you have the telegram group pls can you send me the link. I am interested.
esoheo:

Hi

Is there a WhatsApp/telegram group for Ontario residents I can join.

Please.. I just landed recently, and I really want to get started with my life
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kvdag(m): 2:34am On Dec 31, 2020
Pease can you send me the link as well. I'm in Toronto, Ontario
Thank you
angels1:
If you have the telegram group pls can you send me the link. I am interested.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by FavourAmachukwu: 3:34am On Dec 31, 2020
Thanks for the response]

Toronto. Should you miss your flight, Air Canada will reschedule your flight at no cost.

Rule of thumb is to allow at least two to three hours for landing formalities before your connecting flight.[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by FavourAmachukwu: 3:37am On Dec 31, 2020
[Thanks for the response=AnthonyAk post=97563617]

Your passport will be checked at the first point of entry in Canada. So if your landing in Toronto , you will land in the international wing where you will go through immigration.[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Flakeyy: 7:55am On Dec 31, 2020
jbach:
Lastly, you must present a covid 19 negative test certificate which is compulsory for all travelers landing in Canada. This is the latest news by the Canadian government as at this evening.
Cheers

Thank you. Just heard about the latest development last night.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Flakeyy: 7:58am On Dec 31, 2020
NaijaCanadian28:

Hmmm...these are very valid points ooo. I was about 7 months pregnant when I moved in 2015. I remember almost not finding a midwife. They all said I was too close to term and didn’t have any slots. Thank God I finally got a spot with Diversity Midwives . I was an international student when I came in 2015 and didn’t have OHIP initially. I didn’t have to pay for my labs, Ultrasound and epidural (The midwife practice I used had arrangements that made this possible). Another thing to note is that Midwives can’t handle high risk pregnancies. Common reasons why they deem a pregnancy high risk in Canada are - having a chronic condition like diabetes and hypertension and being over 35. There maybe other factors. In this case, the midwife will transfer your care to an Obstetrician. You can also decide to keep the midwife but your OB will be the main caregiver. Midwifery care is great sha, it’s very personal and they do home visits after having your baby. They may even help with things like bathing your newborn.

In addition , I’m praying your family gets PPR soon. All the best!

Thank you. I'll go check them out and other midwives agencies.
We have our PPR. Just waiting for our passports to be returned. Hopefully we leave before mid January.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Flakeyy: 8:02am On Dec 31, 2020
[quote author=WeAreDLucky1s post=97563372]

Hello Flakeyy,

HERE

Thank you so so much.... I've considered all these oo... I've also spoken with my doctor. He has arranged my medical records, and will sign my fit to fly... I hope to travel before my 35week mark. I just pray borders have not been shut by then.

For my career path, you're suggesting a diploma or writing from scratch. I'm already researching and want to register and send my WES ECA to CPA for evaluation, and hope to move from there.

Thank you. I'm most grateful.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mulatta(m): 10:58am On Dec 31, 2020
Good morning everyone, there is this saying that being born in a poor family isn't your fault but dying poor is your fault.
Am 21yrs old, everyday I keep losing hope in Nigeria and it kills me that if I don't act now I will disappoint my younger siblings because am the first born.
Please I need someone to show me what to do on how to leave Nigeria for Canada, my parents are not rich but I can hustle the money.
Am begging in the name of God please someone help me have lost all hope in Nigeria.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Greatkhad: 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
hayor2014:
I'd like to be added to a new Brunswick WhatsApp group also, if available

Hello please did you find a group, my cousin is moving there soon, but not on nairaland.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mubajiboye: 3:13pm On Dec 31, 2020
Good afternoon everyone , I’m a new member here and please I want to ask if anyone know how I can relocate to Canada or the US please , I’m a graduate and things hasn’t been easy at all , I have a child and I can’t watch her growing up this way , would appreciate if anyone can help me out on this , I don’t mind finding all means to get the funds all I want is a better life for my daughter . Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.