Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi (338 Views)

Bola Tinubu Doesn't Have Certificates - Bode George (Video) / 'Osun Doesn't Have My Kind Of Money' - Tinubu (Photos) / New Minimum Wage Begins Before End Of Sept ―FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by Jerryembassy91(m): 12:46pm On Jan 02, 2019
Peter Obi, vice presidential candidate of PDP, said states can determine what they pay their workers adding that minimum wage doesn’t have to be universal

Obi, the running mate of Atiku Abubakar for the next presidential election, said he doesn't believe that somebody in Lagos should earn the same thing as somebody in other states

The vice presidential candidate who condemned the federal government’s borrowing plan, argued that the amount spent on infrastructure did not correspond with the level of borrowing

Peter Obi, former Anambra state governor and vice presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has joined the debate on national minimum wage and submitted the need for states to determine what they pay their workers based on their realities.

He said: “Minimum wage doesn’t have to be universal. I don’t believe that somebody in Lagos should earn the same thing as somebody who is in, maybe, Anambra state or somebody in Maiduguri.”

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that he, however, stressed that it was important to have a federal minimum wage which is the product of proper talks with labour. If elected, Obi who is the running mate of Atiku Abubakar for the forthcoming presidential election on Politics Today, a programme of Channels TV said: “We will sit down with labour to find a constructive and acceptable decision.”

During his tenure as governor of Anambra state, he had expressed them. “I argued that every state is not the same. I said every state is not the same; every state won’t pay the same,” he said.

What is ideal for him is that: “There has to be a federal minimum, then each state, working within this minimum, can decide where they should go. That is what is obtainable all over the world”.

Asked what amount he thinks should be a minimum, he stressed that it would be determined at a meeting with labour, if his party wins the election.

“I can tell you this – you know what we are saying here – I am sure we will be able to come out with what is acceptable because I know we will sit down and discuss this constructively with the labour.”

Obi, who condemned the federal government’s borrowing plan, argued that the amount spent on infrastructure did not correspond with the level of borrowing.
He rubbished claims that the PDP’s campaign was not working, insisting that such claims were part of efforts to divert attention from the real issues.

“The issue in this campaign is about millions of unemployment campaign,” he said, adding, “We have millions of Nigerians who don’t know where the next meal will come from.”

Citing the ongoing ASUU strike, which has grounded academic activities in universities, adequate attention was not being paid to critical issues in the country.
The Nigerian civil service is considered bloated and inefficient by many, but Obi is confident that an administration led by him and Atiku can turn it around without much trouble.
He said: “You can make it work; you can make it to be productive. There is nothing about being overbloated. Yes, there might be issues but you can make it work. You can decide to make every worker, every employee to be productive.”

Read more: https://www.legit.ng/1212889-minimum-wage-peter-obi-states-determine-workers-salaries.html

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by Jerryembassy91(m): 12:48pm On Jan 02, 2019
Cc: Lalasticlala mynd44 Dominique
Re: Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by sarrki(m): 12:49pm On Jan 02, 2019
Seriously I don’t know Between Obi, Atiku and the party who is more confused

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by Chizuru01(m): 12:50pm On Jan 02, 2019
sarrki:
Seriously I don’t know Between Obi, Atiku and the party who is more confused

But I know you are most confused

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by Peacemaker5128: 12:51pm On Jan 02, 2019
Obi is a thief

Re: Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by sarrki(m): 12:51pm On Jan 02, 2019
Chizuru01:

But I know you are more confused

Peter adaobi is a lee kwan yeye economist
Re: Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by Chizuru01(m): 12:55pm On Jan 02, 2019
sarrki:

He is not as daft as your president that sent our soldiers to be raped by Boko Haram as he is doing our Economy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by Chizuru01(m): 12:56pm On Jan 02, 2019
Peacemaker5128:
Ganduje is a thief

corrected

2 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by Jerryembassy91(m): 12:58pm On Jan 02, 2019
Stop hating dude
sarrki:

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Doesn't Have To Be Universal- Peter Obi by Mynd44: 1:00pm On Jan 02, 2019

(1)

I’ve Made Remarkable Progress In Boko Haram War, Says Buhari" / APC Vs PDP: OPC States Position On Sanwo-olu, Agbaje, Buhari, Atiku / President Buhari Is Not My Cousin, He Is Not My Uncle – Amina Zakari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.