Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,693 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

"Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi (16488 Views)

The Minimum Wage Should Be At Least 100000 Naira To Deal With Inflation / INEC Asks Tribunal To Vary Inspection Order Granted Atiku, Obi / Yahaya Bello Walks Nasir Ajanah, Chief Judge Out From State Function (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Ngozi14: 11:00am On Jan 02, 2019
Mr. Peter Obi, the Vice Presidential candidate of PDP has joined the debate on national minimum wage and submitted the need for states to determine what they pay their workers based on their realities.

“Minimum wage doesn’t have to be universal,” he said on Politics Today, a programme of ChannelsTV.
“I don’t believe that somebody in Lagos should earn the same thing as somebody who is in, maybe, Anambra State or somebody in Maiduguri.”

He, however, stressed that it was important to have a federal minimum wage which is the product of proper talks with labour.

If elected, Obi who is the running mate of Atiku Abubakar for the forthcoming Presidential election said: “We will sit down with labour to find a constructive and acceptable decision”.

His views on the matter are not new.

During his tenure as governor of Anambra State, he had expressed them.

“I argued that every state is not the same. I said every state is not the same; every state won’t pay the same,” he said.

What is ideal for him is that: “There has to be a federal minimum, then each state, working within this minimum, can decide where they should go. That is what is obtainable all over the world”.

Asked what amount he thinks should be a minimum, he stressed that it would be determined at a meeting with labour, if his party wins the election.

“I can tell you this – you know what we are saying here – I am sure we will be able to come out with what is acceptable because I know we will sit down and discuss this constructively with the labour.”

Mr Obi, who condemned the Federal Government’s borrowing plan, argued that the amount spent on infrastructure did not correspond with the level of borrowing.

He rubbished claims that the PDP’s campaign was not working, insisting that such claims were part of efforts to divert attention from the real issues.

“The issue in this campaign is about millions of unemployment campaign,” he said, adding, “We have millions of Nigerians who don’t know where the next meal will come from”.

Citing the ongoing ASUU strike, which has grounded academic activities in universities, adequate attention was not being paid to critical issues in the country.

The Nigerian civil service is considered bloated and inefficient by many, but Mr Obi is confident that an administration led by him and Atiku can turn it around without much trouble.

“You can make it work; you can make it to be productive,” he said of the civil service.

“There is nothing about being overbloated. Yes, there might be issues but you can make it work. You can decide to make every worker, every employee to be productive.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/01/i-dont-believe-somebody-in-lagos-should-earn-the-same-thing-as-somebody-in-anambra-peter-obi/amp/

23 Likes

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Jonadull: 11:04am On Jan 02, 2019

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Jonadull: 11:09am On Jan 02, 2019
Ngozi14:
and u are what?
Go and ask from your father at home

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Shuku0kukobambi: 11:11am On Jan 02, 2019
I was amused when i heard it.

I thought PDP was all about town that APC wasn't signing the salary increase when what Obi is suggesting here is the same reason why we have the current impasse. Some Governors are ready to pay 30k with the FG while some can't even pay beyond 18k forcing the NGF to arrive at a compromise figure of 22.5k which the NLC has rejected.

The truth however is that until we arrive at variable minimum wage, we will keep having these issues

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by jlinkd78(m): 11:11am On Jan 02, 2019
Am honestly on same page with Obi on this

103 Likes 11 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by neezar: 11:11am On Jan 02, 2019
Jonathan:

Go and ask from your father at home
you will know a certified zombie by their comments

This is the 2nd day of the year.....It's never too late to acquire sense

103 Likes 11 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by mbaboy(m): 11:13am On Jan 02, 2019
From your response I know you didn't read the article from beginning to the end and people like you is the reason why Buhari said Nigerian youths are lazy.
Jonathan:

Peter obi is a fool

108 Likes 8 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Jonadull: 11:14am On Jan 02, 2019
mbaboy:
From your response I know you didn't read this article to the end and people like you are the reason why Buhari said Nigerian youths are lazy.
Shut up

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by orion7: 11:14am On Jan 02, 2019
Jonathan:

Peter obi is a fool
obviously you didn't read the post. You just rushed here yo call someone that isn't even aware of your very existence a fool.

it's a new year. those mumu things of 2018 nor suppose crossover

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Jonadull: 11:15am On Jan 02, 2019
neezar:

you will know a certified zombie by their comments

This is the 2nd day of the year.....It's never too late to acquire sense
Bla bla bla bla .
Are you done ?

1 Like 6 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Jonadull: 11:16am On Jan 02, 2019
orion7:
obviously you didn't read the post. You just rushed here yo call someone that isn't even aware of your very existence a fool.

it's a new year. those mumu things of 2018 nor suppose crossover
Peter obi a foolish bastard. Kiss the dust !
And stop foaming in the mouth

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by orion7: 11:17am On Jan 02, 2019
mbaboy:
From your response I know you didn't read this article to the end and people like you are the reason why Buhari said Nigerian youths are lazy.
obi actually made sense.

If kano pays 40k. adamawa may not be able to even pay 20k.

we need competition economically useless states should be scrapped

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by orion7: 11:18am On Jan 02, 2019
Jonathan:
Peter obi a foolish bastard. Kiss the dust ! And stop foaming in the mouth
be here hawking tribalism

obi is greater than your ancestors and future generations. dead or alive

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Shuku0kukobambi: 11:18am On Jan 02, 2019
orion7:
obi actually made sense.

If kano pays 40k. adamawa may not be able to even pay 20k.

we need competition economically useless states should be scrapped

I hope you're not one of those who have been running amok because PMB hasn't signed the 30k into law because that's exactly what Peter Obi would have done too if he was the one there now based on his interview on channels yesterday?

1 Like

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by dunkem21(m): 11:19am On Jan 02, 2019
Shuku0kukobambi:

I thought PDP was all about town that APC wasn't signing the salary increase when what Obi is suggesting here is the same reason why we have the current impasse. Some Governors are ready to pay 30k with the FG while some can't even pay beyond 18k forcing the NGF to arrive at a compromise figure of 22.5k which the NLC has rejected.

The truth however is that until we arrive at variable minimum wage, we will keep having these issues

If you say Peter Obi is very very right, you wouldn't need all these grammar. wink

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Jonadull: 11:21am On Jan 02, 2019
orion7:
be here hawking tribalism

obi is greater than your ancestors and future generations. dead or alive
You’re fast to play the tribe card . Very typical

3 Likes

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Shuku0kukobambi: 11:21am On Jan 02, 2019
dunkem21:

If you say Peter Obi is very very right, you wouldn't need all these grammar. wink

You know you are born to just lick a$$ without thinking while i analyze issues wink

This is the exact same reason why PMB hasn't signed the 30k into law because Lagos and the FG will be able to pay but what about the other states? yet you've almost run mad abusing PMB on the matter. Now that Obi said it, it suddenly sounds good wink

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by orion7: 11:23am On Jan 02, 2019
Jonathan:

You’re fast to play the tribe card . Very typical
I quoted Jonathan. janadull is here replying me

las las na you go tire. cheesy

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by orion7: 11:25am On Jan 02, 2019
Shuku0kukobambi:

I hope you're not one of those who have been running amok because PMB hasn't signed the 30k into law because that's exactly what Peter Obi would have done too if he was the one there now based on his interview on channels yesterday?
I understand what minimum wage is.

I have not critised buhari in that regard

regardless he should get ready. daura beckons

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by tuniski: 11:26am On Jan 02, 2019
Shuku0kukobambi:

At what point is pdp about town on this wage Matter? PDP is a very matured party and knows the limit of opposition.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Jonadull: 11:28am On Jan 02, 2019
orion7:
I quoted Jonathan. janadull is here replying me

las las na you go tire. cheesy
Lmao, go and get paracetamol. You need it

1 Like

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by dunkem21(m): 11:28am On Jan 02, 2019
Shuku0kukobambi:

You know you are born to just lick a$$ without thinking while i analyze issues wink

This is the exact same reason why PMB hasn't signed the 30k into law because Lagos and the FG will be able to pay but what about the other states? yet you've almost run mad abusing PMB on the matter. Now that Obi said it, it suddenly sounds good wink

It is not the same thing. Obi said that they will sit with labour to discuss issues and get a benchmark.. Then states can pay what they can following the benchmark.

PMB should learn from Obi.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Shuku0kukobambi: 11:28am On Jan 02, 2019
orion7:

I'm glad you understand the matter unlike the other riffraff all over NL

2 Likes

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Shuku0kukobambi: 11:30am On Jan 02, 2019
dunkem21:

It is not the same thing. Obi said that they will sit with labour to discuss issues and get a benchmark.. Then states can pay what they can following the benchmark.

PMB should learn from Obi.

NLC said they won't take less than 30K while Governors say they can't pay more than 22.5K so what benchmark will he get NLC to agree to?

3 Likes

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by dunkem21(m): 11:32am On Jan 02, 2019
orion7:

He thinks saying we insult Buhari will make it true, make us run without splashing facts on his face.

He thought it is a tribal thread where he is a warrior cheesy

5 Likes

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by Shuku0kukobambi: 11:34am On Jan 02, 2019
tuniski:

At what point is pdp about town on this wage Matter? PDP is a very matured party and knows the limit of opposition.

What was Atiku doing here https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/atiku-asks-buhari-to-fulfil-promise-on-minimum-wage.html

Also, have you not abused Buhari on this wage increase matter? What about your other comrade

2 Likes

Re: "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi by dunkem21(m): 11:38am On Jan 02, 2019
Shuku0kukobambi:

NLC said they won't take less than 30K while Governors say they can't pay more than 22.5K so what benchmark will he get NLC to agree to?

Do the first thing first.. Call Labour, call governors, sit down and settle it once and for all. Even if he approves N30k, some state government will still not pay.

Dialogue, everything no be force.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari’s Punishment For Ballot Snatchers Constitutional, Says Keyamo / Ganduje Is APC Best Performing Governor - Governors Forum’s Progressive Tracking / Tribunal Hears Obi’s Motion Today, Atiku’s On Tinubu’s Citizenship Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.