Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,473 members, 7,819,721 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

The Real Inikpi Story: The Fight For Igala’s Independence And The Savage King - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Real Inikpi Story: The Fight For Igala’s Independence And The Savage King (2620 Views)

True Story: The Married UK 'prostitute' From Nigeria And The Govt / Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family / The Real Inikpi Story: The Fight For Igala’s Independence And The Savage King (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Real Inikpi Story: The Fight For Igala’s Independence And The Savage King by MiztaAtabo: 2:10am On Jan 04, 2019
The Igala people usually paid royalties to the Jukun kingdom in form of palm oil, yearly, but when Attah Ayegba became the Attah of Igala things changed, he wanted independence. — He sent bowls filled with feces (shit, poopoo — yes that smelly thing) instead of oil to the Jukuns. That was the savage part and That was the beginning.

I did a lot to get this gist — traveled to my village by water, fought with a madman for the Princess’s attention, dragged with a goat for who owns the dead chicken in the shrine, danced with the masquerades and then, ate Oje-Akpa and Obo-Gogo.

I am Atabo-Idu (The Last Lion King) - and here is the real story of Princess Inikpi, the lady who sacrificed herself for the Igala people.

Before I talk too much, let me correct a widely misunderstood tale; The Igalas have had various Attahs and fought wars before Princess Inikpi was born, and her death wasn’t as a result of the Igala-Benin war, but Igala-Jukun war.

The Igala-Benin war which most people believed to have been the war resulting in Princess Inikpi’s death was long before her birth and death.

The Igala-Benin war (Aji Attah and Oba Esigie) was between 1515–1516 AD, and this war was to gain control over trade along the river Niger. The war was won by the Benins due to the help of Portuguese missionaries who brought in firearms. However, the Igala warriors took something from the Benins — The face-like bronze mask still worn by the Attah till today.

Now, to the Inikpi story — which was why you started reading my story;
“Inikpi oma’fedo baba” — That’s how we call her in Igala. It means “Inikpi, the father’s beloved”.

It happened around the 17th century.

Inikpi was the daughter of Attah Ayegba oma’doko. She was the most loved (as people got to say), nonetheless, the Attah had seven (7) children, of which he ended up sacrificing five (5) to save the Igala Kingdom and set us up for independence.

As for Inikpi, her fate began from the continued “disobedience” of her father to the expectations of the Jukun king, Aku Uka of Wukari.

Aku Uka of Wukari (The Jukun king) sent his army to the Igala kingdom. They brought a message of war and horrible terror that could lead to the extinction of the Igala kingdom and obviously the Attah’s kingship.

https://www.miztaatabo.com.ng/the-real-inikpi-story-the-fight-for-independence-and-the-savage-kingto continue the story and watch video…

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Real Inikpi Story: The Fight For Igala’s Independence And The Savage King by sweetyme001(f): 4:15am On Jan 04, 2019
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Finding A Spouse Abroad Vs Going Oversees With Your Nigerian Spouse / Very Affordable Hotel In Ikeja Lagos / Was Offered A Canada Work Visa & Flight,how Genuine? Please Help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.