Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books (4765 Views)

Return Of Prophet Isa (jesus) Peace Be Upon Him / Ruling On A Woman Putting Her Picture On Social Media / Islamic Ruling On Blowing Oneself Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Lukgaf(m): 7:55am On Jan 04, 2019
Question

I once heard in a halaqah that library fines for returning books late are regarded as interest. Is this true? If library fines are indeed interest and riba, then is joining the library to get a library card and using the library services like signing up for a credit card that is based on interest, even if I return the books on time? What should I do about the library fines that I have paid in the past? Is it permissible to carry on using the library services, because it is difficult to buy all the books I want to read?

Answer

Praise be to Allah.

There is nothing wrong with borrowing books, but they must be returned on time. The one who is late in returning them with no excuse is sinning and it is permissible to impose a fine on him for the delay; this fine is a fee for his making use of the book during the excess period.

If this fine is agreed upon from the outset, there is nothing wrong with that, such as if it is said that he is obliged to pay a certain amount of money for each day that he was late in returning the book.

If the fine was not stipulated from the outset, then he must pay the typical amount for each day.

It says in Kashshaaf al-Qinaa‘ (4/68): It is permissible to borrow a mount to ride it to a specific place, and if he goes beyond that, then he has transgressed, because he has done that without the permission of the owner, and he must pay a typical fee for the excess distance. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) was asked: In some mosques they lend books, on condition that whoever is late in returning the books must pay a specific penalty or fine for each day, with the money to be spent on the mosque or on maintaining the mosque. Is this permissible, O shaykh?

Answer: Yes, this comes under the heading of rental and hire. If he is late (in returning the books), then he has continued the rental or hire, using the books for longer than the specified period. I do not think there is anything wrong with this, because it encourages people to adhere to the terms and conditions, and not to be careless about the borrower keeping the books with him. If the borrowing period is defined as five days, or six days, and so on, and he keeps the books for longer, then he must pay such and such as a penalty for returning the books late. There is nothing wrong with that, in sha Allah, because it serves a great purpose.

End quote from Fataawa Noor ‘ala ad-Darb (11/296)

Thus it becomes clear that the fine imposed on the borrower for late return of the books is not a riba-based penalty, because it is not in return for a loan; rather it is a fee for using the book after the end of the borrowing period.

And Allah knows best.
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/281829/ruling-on-fines-for-late-return-of-borrowed-books

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:30am On Jan 04, 2019
Islamic law is sufficient to rule a home, province, state and country whereas there's always conflict of interest in other human laws.

What other religious law is capable in this way?

Alhamdulillah for the religion of Truth!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by anambraamaka: 12:32pm On Jan 04, 2019
Shame

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by ikpuology: 12:32pm On Jan 04, 2019
[s]
Rashduct4luv:
Islamic law is sufficient to rule a home, province, state and country whereas there's always conflict of interest in other human laws.

[/s]

Religion if truth indeed.
The only place where islam prospers so far are where there are christians to balance the equation.
People hurry in their millions to escape core islamic states. And yet you have not bothered to ask yourself why.
Religion of peace indeed.

9 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Olamsoh: 12:36pm On Jan 04, 2019
Not one, not two, but SIX videos of a serving governor accepting bribes were shared;

Yet, we'll still go on as if nothing is happening and make "new year proclamations" - "declaring that Nigeria will turn into Singapore".

We have a talent for denying reality & wasting our time.

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Omudia11: 12:39pm On Jan 04, 2019
Indeed, it is sufficient in honor killings,
pedophilia and beheadings.

Alhamdulilah.
Rashduct4luv:

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Rashduct4luv(m): 1:31pm On Jan 04, 2019
ikpuology:
[s][/s]

Religion if truth indeed.
The only place where islam prospers so far are where there are christians to balance the equation.
People hurry in their millions to escape core islamic states. And yet you have not bothered to ask yourself why.
Religion of peace indeed.

Who are the people leaving the core Islamic states?

In all of UAE calculate the %age of Christians there that made them prosper!

And our prosperity is of cos not of this world.
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Rashduct4luv(m): 1:37pm On Jan 04, 2019
Omudia11:
Indeed, it is sufficient in honor killings,
pedophilia and beheadings.

Alhamdulilah.

Yes, just like these:

Numbers 31 vs 17-18

So now, kill all the boys, and kill every woman who has had relations with a man, 18 but spare for yourselves every girl who has never had relations with a man.

Judges 21:10-11

10 So the congregation sent 12,000 of their most valiant men and commanded them: “Go and put to the sword those living in Jabesh-gilead, including women and children. 11 This is what you are to do: Completely destroy every male, as well as every female who has had relations with a man.

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by hansomb: 3:38pm On Jan 04, 2019
Jazakallah
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Omudia11: 8:01pm On Jan 04, 2019
As usual, a braindead Muslim

Judaism (which you quoted) is not Christianity.
Rashduct4luv:

Yes, just like these:

Numbers 31 vs 17-18

So now, kill all the boys, and kill every woman who has had relations with a man, 18 but spare for yourselves every girl who has never had relations with a man.

Judges 21:10-11

10 So the congregation sent 12,000 of their most valiant men and commanded them: “Go and put to the sword those living in Jabesh-gilead, including women and children. 11 This is what you are to do: Completely destroy every male, as well as every female who has had relations with a man.
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:47am On Jan 05, 2019
Omudia11:
As usual, a braindead Muslim

Judaism (which you quoted) is not Christianity.

Tithe is largely Judaism too!

OK, I agree that God, Jesus and Holy Spirit are not involved in the Old Testament which is the Judaism Scriptures!

Can you mention one verse where Jesus sang songs, danced, prayed and worship the same way you all worshiped nowadays?

So whether you like it on not those verses from the Bible are what Boko Haram, e.t.c are following!
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Omudia11: 5:30pm On Jan 05, 2019
Tithe is also mentioned in the new testament so go look it up and you'll find it.

Let me rephrase your question and ask you. Did your Mohammed eat garri? No! Does that mean eating garri is a sin?

That Jesus didn't dance and sing like we do today doesn't mean those things are bad because anything done to praise God that is in line with the Bible is not Haram.
Rashduct4luv:

Tithe is largely Judaism too!

OK, I agree that God, Jesus and Holy Spirit are not involved in the Old Testament which is the Judaism Scriptures!

Can you mention one verse where Jesus sang songs, danced, prayed and worship the same way you all worshiped nowadays?

So whether you like it on not those verses from the Bible are what Boko Haram, e.t.c are following!
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Rashduct4luv(m): 12:41am On Jan 06, 2019
Omudia11:
Tithe is also mentioned in the new testament so go look it up and you'll find it.

Let me rephrase your question and ask you. Did your Mohammed eat garri? No! Does that mean eating garri is a sin?

That Jesus didn't dance and sing like we do today doesn't mean those things are bad because anything done to praise God that is in line with the Bible is not Haram.

Alhamdulillah, Jesus never sang songs, dance or worship God nor attend church like you guys! Mind you garri is not worship in Islam. We worship Allah as Allah revealed to the Prophet.
What is forbidden is clear and what is permissible is clear in Islam.

Every acts of worship we perform in Islam are as we saw our Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salam and his companions perform them. There should be no addition nor deduction!
Technological innovations may be permissible depending on some factors but innovations in matters of worship is strictly forbidden!
That's why the way we pray 5 times daily, fast Ramadan, pay Zakat and perform Hajj, etc is similar worldwide!
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Omudia11: 12:01pm On Jan 06, 2019
Islam and Christianity are not the same.
Jesus went about healing the sick and raising the dead and said anyone who believes can do such, so do you see many believers doing that today? No! Healing the sick and raising the dead also give glory to God.

As Christians we are not robots that must eat what Jesus ate and walk how he walked, No. We already have the blueprint of how we should worship as shown to us by the lifestyle of Jesus. We know what is wrong and what is good and as long as singing and dancing is not bad in the sight of God then we are good to go.
Rashduct4luv:

Alhamdulillah, Jesus never sang songs, dance or worship God nor attend church like you guys! Mind you garri is not worship in Islam. We worship Allah as Allah revealed to the Prophet.
What is forbidden is clear and what is permissible is clear in Islam.

Every acts of worship we perform in Islam are as we saw our Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salam and his companions perform them. There should be no addition nor deduction!
Technological innovations may be permissible depending on some factors but innovations in matters of worship is strictly forbidden!
That's why the way we pray 5 times daily, fast Ramadan, pay Zakat and perform Hajj, etc is similar worldwide!
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Rashduct4luv(m): 12:04pm On Jan 07, 2019
Omudia11:
Islam and Christianity are not the same.

i never said they are the same. The issue is you telling us how Jesus told you to worship the Lord from your scriptures.

Omudia11:
Jesus went about healing the sick and raising the dead and said anyone who believes can do such, so do you see many believers doing that today? No! Healing the sick and raising the dead also give glory to God.

What?

Omudia11:
As Christians we are not robots that must eat what Jesus ate and walk how he walked, No. We already have the blueprint of how we should worship as shown to us by the lifestyle of Jesus. We know what is wrong and what is good and as long as singing and dancing is not bad in the sight of God then we are good to go.

And we are not to copy our Prophet as regards what he ate. We are to imitate him as regards what he was sent with!
We pray as we saw him pray. We fast as we saw him fast. He is our example as regards acts of worship entirely!
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by true2god: 1:14pm On Jan 10, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

If your claim is true, millions of Muslims won't be queuing at their various embassies to relocate either to the US, Canada or Europe. I am 99% sure that you will prefer relocating to the US (who uses a man-made law) to Saudi Arabia (where there is 100% sharia law) if you are given the two countries as option.

Stop deceiving yourself bro!

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:18am On Jan 11, 2019
true2god:
If your claim is true, millions of Muslims won't be queuing at their various embassies to relocate either to the US, Canada or Europe. I am 99% sure that you will prefer relocating to the US (who uses a man-made law) to Saudi Arabia (where there is 100% sharia law) if you are given the two countries as option.

Stop deceiving yourself bro!

I will love to relocate to Saudiyyah with my family! Those queing to go to Europe have their reasons and in reality not all those who go there make it!

I believe in striving wherever i am as much as possible and whatever is destined for me will definitely be for me.

The question is what other religious law can be used to rule a home, province, state and country successfully if not Islam.
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by true2god: 9:05am On Jan 11, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

I will love to relocate to Saudiyyah with my family! Those queing to go to Europe have their reasons and in reality not all those who go there make it!

I believe in striving wherever i am as much as possible and whatever is destined for me will definitely be for me.

The question is what other religious law can be used to rule a home, province, state and country successfully if not Islam.
Does this include killing apostates, cutting off the hands of petty thieves (while the saudi royal family steal the oli wealth), preventing the christians and Jews from practicing their religion (while the saudis spend billions of dollars building mosques in the US and Europe), and marrying young girls as young as 6 years old?

Does it include imposing the jizya on non-muslims, and preaching hatred against the 'kafir' in your mosques and madrassas?
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:14am On Jan 11, 2019
true2god:
Does this include killing apostates, cutting off the hands of petty thieves (while the saudi royal family steal the oli wealth), preventing the christians and Jews from practicing their religion (while the saudis spend billions of dollars building mosques in the US and Europe), and marrying young girls as young as 6 years old?

Does it include imposing the jizya on non-muslims, and preaching hatred against the 'kafir' in your mosques and madrassas?

Yes it includes killing apostates for treason to the Islamic state. People can similarly be killed for treason to the country in a democratic setting!

In an Islamic state, Islam is the law. If you are against the law then you are an apostate.

And the Jizya is like a tax for enjoying the basic amenities just as in a regular democratic settings!

What's your headache on who is stealing in Saudi and who marries a 6 yr old? is it your money or your 6yr old?
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by true2god: 11:34am On Jan 11, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

Yes it includes killing apostates for treason to the Islamic state. People can similarly be killed for treason to the country in a democratic setting!

In an Islamic state, Islam is the law. If you are against the law then you are an apostate.

And the Jizya is like a tax for enjoying the basic amenities just as in a regular democratic settings!

What's your headache on who is stealing in Saudi and who marries a 6 yr old? is it your money or your 6yr old?

You are obfuscating the argument. Let me make it simpler, is it a treasonous offense if I decide to leave Islam and embrace atheism or Christianity in Saudi Arabia without any apparent disturbance to public peace?

Do you think it is morally just to cut off the hand of a person who steal a water bottle, sweet, candy from a supermarket? Have you heard of any of the Saudi royal family member whose hand was cut off for stealing, or do mean they can’t steal? What happened to the Saudi prince accusing of drug trafficking few years back?
Re: Ruling On Fines For Late Return Of Borrowed Books by Rashduct4luv(m): 12:39pm On Jan 11, 2019
true2god:
You are obfuscating the argument. Let me make it simpler, is it a treasonous offense if I decide to leave Islam and embrace atheism or Christianity in Saudi Arabia without any apparent disturbance to public peace?

Do you think it is morally just to cut off the hand of a person who steal a water bottle, sweet, candy from a supermarket? Have you heard of any of the Saudi royal family member whose hand was cut off for stealing, or do mean they can’t steal? What happened to the Saudi prince accusing of drug trafficking few years back?

You are the one confusing yourself. Yes it is a treasonable offense.

Who told you anyone who steals petty items like those ones have their hands cut off?

Tell us what you know about the Sharee'ah ruling on theft or do you thing it is just only about cutting hands.
And mind you i don't care if member of the Saudi royal family steals, traffic drugs or not. It's not my business!
I have my own sins to think about.

Whosoever does evil as small as an atom shall see it...

(1) (Reply)

The Virtues Of The Month Of Dhul-hijjah / Why Didn't Allah Intervene In The Recent Crane Disaster? / Istikhara For Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.