Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Restructuring: Our Last Hope To National Survival! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring: Our Last Hope To National Survival! (513 Views)

We’re Not Against Restructuring, Our Demand Is Biafra, Referendum – IPOB / We’re Not Against Restructuring, Our Demand Is Biafra, Referendum – IPOB / Election Tribunal: Atiku Reacts, Shares Message Of Hope To All Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restructuring: Our Last Hope To National Survival! by EagleNest(m): 11:10am On Jan 05, 2019
This is my deep thought, after all that has been said and done, that for Nigeria to genuinely move forward it MUST restructure.

It doesn't matter how we chose to paint, pretend or belittle it, this is a more important and permanent solution to our present predicament that seems to be gradually overwhelming us. I hope we don't sink beyond salvation. Thinking about Venezuela!

It doesn't matter how bright or educated our imaginary president would be, if he or she will work with the present structure, to me it will amount to getting fairly similar result as with previous presidents (including the incumbent) and will fall within the band of "failed promises" by "failed presidents" and may be more failures to come, if we don't do something.

If companies or organisations, in their wisdom embark on restructuring, it is mostly driven for efficiency and profitability, and often signals that the present subsisting structure is malfunctioning, not sustainable and would not deliver promises to shareholders.

I baffle a lot when "restructure" as a term in current Nigeria political parlance appears to sound like something sinister from opposition politics and not intended for good.

But in real sense of it, this should be a topic that by now, should have heated up the political debate because it is really important. It is our only existential life jacket and meant so much well for Nigeria's future irrespective of party or interest.

The good thing about it is that it allows wealth generation and distribution to be created, driven and championed by the natural constituent geographical units while at the same time giving them sense of control of their own resources (both human & natural) and yet ultimately belonging to one federated Nigeria.

It's better said as decentralizing power or sharing power to natural geographical units rather than present divided geographical entities called "state".

We have gone with the military created "state" entities for a while now, like roughly 50years, and we can all see how dysfunctional it has come to be. And it has become even worst as the day go by, considering how unfortunate we are with crop of recent/present leaders who lack visions except in gorging their stomachs with our collective wealth regardless of how their acts sets us back. Trust is never a language in our political lexicon!

Now, do we continue wasting our time and prolonging our misery and poverty, or do we sit down, ponder and correct ourselves? I chose the later and I think you'll do too.

After experimenting fruitlessly for nearly 50 years, we should now have learnt enough to be able to fashion something that works for everybody irrespective of political leaning or interest.

Chinese and the likes, copied western technology and may be business skills too, but when it comes to political system they cleverly created their own. And this and other things, sums up in making them great and powerful nation as of today.

Conversely, Nigeria a 3rd world country, chose to copy political system of America, not minding its peculiarity and dynamics. OK, when you copy someone in exams do you just copy everything including the person's exam number? We should remind ourselves that cheating in exams is amorphous solution to real problem of lack of knowledge or understanding.

Even when you copy from someone presumably better than you, could we not regard the "copy" as template to create or adapt to our own peculiarity and needs?

I will rather we reverse to regional structures but with some modifications, to accommodate more minor ethnic groups that would chose to be uniquely identified to pilot themselves. It may be within a threshold of (to be agreed) minimal number of group of people with commonality in ideas, economics, shared vision and future, culture and language.

And in worst case scenario, we can restructure the present "state" entities to be more people driven than elite driven. The latter have been our albatross!

We can cut wastage by adopting unicameral legislature in the Federal just like in States, and make local councils more functional with more responsibilities and fund. This will balance the power a bit and allow the natural ethnic groups to be more in charge of their evolvement, governance and opportunities.

Today the Local Councils are nothing but waste of space. It's run by political godsons/goddaughters and aliases of governor or any powerful political person or elite in an area rather than what it should have been - Democratic! - run by elected person from the people.

If people have a say about themselves, it will no longer be a contest about large population for electoral purposes but rather healthy economic competition, thereby getting a little bit of hand on unnecessary population growth.

Ideally this should be our yearnings as a nation at this politically feverish time. Let's be patriotic for once and put the so called presidential hopefuls to task. What are their precedents and actions in their life endeavours so far? How clean are they (not physical features of course)? Do they have what it takes to lead a complex society like Nigeria? Who is trustworthy amongst them? Who has delivered in little tasks before? Who among them can listen?

Ultimately, after all these parameters, personally I will ask, who amongst them can initiate restructuring process and deliver! That's where my vote will go!

This is my 50 kobo (not 50 cent) to gauge our heart on the real issue we MUST tackle head on, preferably NOW, because a stitch in time saves nigh.
Re: Restructuring: Our Last Hope To National Survival! by Omololu001: 11:14am On Jan 05, 2019
Instead of having a general election, I don't know why we can't just restructure this country through a SNC, and if we don't agree on how to live together, then everybody should go there differ ways.

I thought GEJ would have fought really hard for restructuring, but the man was just another weakling that fears and favours Hausa and the Fulani's
Re: Restructuring: Our Last Hope To National Survival! by chosengocap: 11:23am On Jan 05, 2019
THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE! NAIRA EXCHANGE RATE vs AFRICAN COUNTRIES: South Africa: Rand 1= 79 Naira Angola: 1 kwanza = 12 Naira Botswana: 1 Pula = 28 Naira Cape Verde: 1 Escudo = 8 Naira Algeria: 1 Dinar = 12 Naira Egypt: 1 Pound = 35 Naira Eritrea: 1 Nakata = 18 Naira Ethiopia: 1 Birr = 19 Naira Ghana: 1 Cedi = 56 Naira Gambia 1 Dalasi = 9 Naira Kenya: 1 shilling = 6 Naira Liberia: 1 Dinar = 8 Naira Lesotho: 1 Loti = 19 Naira Libya: 1 Dinar = 156 Naira Morocco: 1 Dirham = 176 Naira Madagascar: 1 Ariary = 14 Naira Mauritius: 1 Rupee = 16 Naira Malawi: 1 kwacha = 21 Naira Mozambique: 1 Metical = 24 Naira Namibia: 1 Dollar = 32 Naira Seychelles: 1 Rupee = 22 Naira Sudan: 1 pound = 42 Naira Swaziland: 1 Lilangeri = 19 Naira Tunisia: 1 Dinar = 150 Naira Zambia: 1 kwacha = 28 Naira Even the worst economies of Africa now have more valuable Exchange rate than us. As at today $1 = N370 €1 = N450 £1 =N540 N1,000,000 is less than $4000. ...and some think that we have not reached the break point? Why una no wan join protest?? Putin (Russia): Lawyer Trump (America): Economics degree Merkel (Germany): PhD physical chemistry Xi Jinping (China): Chemical engineering and Doctor of Law Buhari (Nigeria): WAEC not found Yet, somebody wants a growing economy under Buhari. Only clowns and herdsmen can expect such!!!....naija can never develop unless it is restructured... I weep everyday for my suffering and hungry friends and relatives. Those who put us in this mess will surely pay for it.... # copied
Re: Restructuring: Our Last Hope To National Survival! by Abfinest007(m): 11:27am On Jan 05, 2019
if u want restructuring then vote atiku
Re: Restructuring: Our Last Hope To National Survival! by EagleNest(m): 11:31am On Jan 05, 2019
Omololu001:
Instead of having a general election, I don't know why we can't just restructure this country through a SNC, and if we don't agree on how to live together, then everybody should go there differ ways.

I thought GEJ would have fought really hard for restructuring, but the man was just another weakling that fears and favours Hausa and the Fulani's

GEJ's attempted restructuring discussions apparently was not clear to many Nigerians (me inclusive), may be I have not read wide enough, but ultimately he lacked political will and courage to implement it even imperfect version.

It should be one of his regrets if you ask me.
Re: Restructuring: Our Last Hope To National Survival! by EagleNest(m): 11:36am On Jan 05, 2019
Abfinest007:
if u want restructuring then vote atiku

The restructuring beat from Atiku was initially strong until he won Presidential nomination of PDP and the beat died down.

What happened?

(1) (Reply)

AUDIO: Full Tapes Of Hon. Amaechi Released By Reno Omokiri - The Song too / Release Kogi Senator, Dino Melaye – Atiku Begs Buhari Government / Why NURTW Menace Can Not Be Stopped.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.