Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,182 members, 7,815,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up (1386 Views)

Planting Seasons Are Here Again: Broad Ugwu Leaves Available For Sale... / How To Prevent My Ugwu Farm From Future Diseases And Insects Attacks. / Please Help! My Chicks Legs Are Getting Bent Day By Day!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by Benyfil(m): 3:31pm On Jan 06, 2019
Good day to you all

I'm having serious challenges regarding my Ugwu farm the leaves would suddenly change colour and then dry up.

This started about a week ago, it was just few and I didn't count it as something serious. A week later after checking back at my farm I noticed it has increased. I told a farmer friend who also has Ugwu about it and he said the plant lacks water. However, I do wet them every two days while he said he wets his once or twice a week.

Attached are picture sample.

Need some input and advice please.

Re: Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by iHart(m): 3:37pm On Jan 06, 2019
Are you sure herbicide was not sprayed on them?

1 Like

Re: Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by Benyfil(m): 4:02pm On Jan 06, 2019
iHart:
Are you sure herbicide was not sprayed on them?

Not all. It scantily affected three different beds, about half of each bed.
Re: Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by Ahmed0336(m): 4:07pm On Jan 06, 2019
Probably a disease

1 Like

Re: Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by okoroemeka(m): 6:06pm On Jan 06, 2019
Benyfil:
Good day to you all

I'm having serious challenges regarding my Ugwu farm the leaves would suddenly change colour and then dry up.

This started about a week ago, it was just few and I didn't count it as something serious. A week later after checking back at my farm I noticed it has increased. I told a farmer friend who also has Ugwu about it and he said the plant lacks water. However, I do wet them every two days while he said he wets his once or twice a week.

Attached are picture sample.

Need some input and advice please.
it looks like fungal disease to me,It, also looks like bacteria leaf spot,but BLS and its cousins affect nightshade family(pepper,garden egg,tomato,etc)uproot and dispose affected crops and spray copper fungicides on them.this is my first of seeing diseased fluted pumpkin that crop is so resilient that your management could be faulty.

3 Likes

Re: Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by Benyfil(m): 12:22pm On Jan 07, 2019
okoroemeka:
it looks like fungal disease to me,It, also looks like bacteria leaf spot,but BLS and its cousins affect nightshade family(pepper,garden egg,tomato,etc)uproot and dispose affected crops and spray copper fungicides on them.this is my first of seeing diseased fluted pumpkin that crop is so resilient that your management could be faulty.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. Really appreciated
Re: Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by larryking540: 10:12pm On Jan 07, 2019
Bro it seems you pour something on it, ,,,probably ur kitchen waste, ,,,or am suspecting something oily, ,,and why would u water ur pumpkin every 2 days, ,,,i do my everyday

1 Like

Re: Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by Kaetoh: 3:59am On Jan 08, 2019
Don't water it while the sun is out else they'll continue to get scorched as though you were boiling them. Water them before 5:00 AM daily .

1 Like

Re: Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by Benyfil(m): 7:50am On Jan 08, 2019
larryking540:
Bro it seems you pour something on it, ,,,probably ur kitchen waste, ,,,or am suspecting something oily, ,,and why would u water ur pumpkin every 2 days, ,,,i do my everyday

Thanks for your input.

I doubt it's oil or kitchen waste because it's on a farm land far to residential houses. Also, I am making plans to water then every day.

Thanks again smiley
Re: Help: My Ugwu Leaves Are Turning Black And Drying Up by Benyfil(m): 7:51am On Jan 08, 2019
Kaetoh:
Don't water it while the sun is out else they'll continue to get scorched as though you were boiling them. Water them before 5:00 AM daily .

Thanks for the advice and time.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Suppliers Of Food Stuff Based In The North Needed Urgently / Narrow Down For Sell / Fishmeal, Dl-methionine, L-lysine, Enzymes, Toxin Binder, DCP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.