Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,151 members, 7,953,570 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:20 PM

“A Season I Was Brave ” (written By Amakachukwumaj) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / “A Season I Was Brave ” (written By Amakachukwumaj) (345 Views)

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List / The Other Side Written By Onyeneke Abel / Analysis Of Lonely Days Written By Bayo Adebowale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

“A Season I Was Brave ” (written By Amakachukwumaj) by KoboJonathan(m): 2:01am On Jan 09, 2019
A SEASON I WAS BRAVE (By Amakachukwumaj)
The scene I beheld startled me. A crowd gathered to watch. A masquerade whipped a woman with a long stick and the crowd cheered at this while the woman cried. I couldn't stand such obnoxious act.

"Stop beating her!"

Eyes turned and stared at me. I walked through to the front scene.

The weather was gay and bright. A warm day when festivals usually rented that air. I've seen masquerades parade but I've never seen anyone assaulted by a masquerade since I visited my maternal home.

The woman in native attire, struggled to escape from the whip while she still held her wrapper down so she won't get naked.

A mixture of anger and pity engulfed me. The will to save the woman filled me. I advanced towards the masquerade and forgot at that moment that I was a girl and 19 at that.

"Hmmm. Negodu nwa-see this girl. Nne, Ogbukozu knows no visitor oo, he'll beat you mercilessly." A woman's voice said.

I ignored this and walked closer with all the boldness I could muster, as if I knew the masquerade.

The Masquerade seemed to have been waiting for this opportunity. It released the woman, who scampered away and seized my hand. Everything happened like a flash. Before I understood what happened, he whip landed on my body. The crowd jeered and roared in laughter.

I wasn't bothered by the whips even though they pained a lot but I struggled with him to release the cain. He pushed me and I slouched back to fall and something held me. I caught the cain before it could land on me again. I broke it into two and waited for the next reaction. I noticed the crowd grew bigger, I knew this was no longer a child's play.

I came forward and slashed one part of the broken stick into an opening which I supposed was the eye of the masquerade. He staggered backward.

Immediately, I tore at the hard costume which hid his person. He struggled hard, clutched his costume to protect his face then grabbed me again, flung me around and around.

I held onto him till he stood, I staggered. Stopped and again tore at his costume. This time, it pulled off easily. What I beheld got me surprised.

It was a young man. Young enough to be the woman's son. I wondered how inhuman people could be. The stick I punctured through his left eye must have distracted him. He fell to ground, covered his face and writhed in pain.

I heard the sound of a whistle and turned to meet an empty space.

The crowd which gathered during the fight was no where to be found. I stood still and realised it was near dusk. That might not be the reason they dispersed, I had committed a sacrilege.

I stepped out hurriedly to leave the scene when I saw huge figures of masked faces crept out. I stopped. Soon, they gathered about me looking more fierce than the one I just fought.

My body froze.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

[unique Personality] Adeladan Oluwatosin / Poetically Speaking / Check Out The Book Am Writing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.