Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,884 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa - Foreign Affairs (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa (73343 Views)

Joe Biden's Dog, Commander, Removed From White House After Biting secret Agents / US: Rat Falls From White House Ceiling, Lands On NBC Reporter’s Lap / South Africa Just Voted To Seize Land From White Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 1:38pm On Jan 12, 2019
XhosaNostra:

Good points, but all whites were not rich & all blacks were not poor during Apartheid. I grew up in East London. Growing up there in the 90s, there was a place called eSigingqini, where all the poor white people lived. Most of the children there went to Grens, which was a school for poor white people back then.They were called amagxagxa, because they were less privileged & dirty. We need to paint a clear picture of the old South Africa, because some people tend to think we had no schools etc. Some even go as far as to claim that they fed & clothed us during Apartheid. I don't know about other black South Africans here, but both my parents worked & they were responsible. I wore Woolies even back in the day & got a new uniform every January. I was an "only child". We were not poor in MY family. We were working class.

Thanx for highlighting the complexities of SA. This is why some dumb Nigerians need to stay the hell clear of the landmine that is South African socio-economic relations. I really hate their inferiority complex towards white people & their attempt to caricature the black South African in particular as some lazy unproductive slave. I've come to notice it's their coping mechanism for plunging their own country to 'failed-statusdom'.

Indeed there was a bondage black middle-class during apartheid made up mostly of teachers, cops, doctors and nurses but u have to admit there was a class-ceiling. I was also raised by a nurse so life was ok. So unfortunately I was never fed, clothed by Nigerians and I don't know anyone who was. All their aid must have conveniently landed in the bank accounts & palatial homes of their rulers.

7 Likes

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 1:49pm On Jan 12, 2019
[quote author=JaceBlaze post=74681864][/quote]

Thanx Jace. cool

But we should really thank our black leadership in politics, enterprise and society for ensuring we can walk with our heads held high as South Africans because there are many on our continent who would love to see us fail. Cyril Ramaphosa's address today gave me great hope for the future.

...even though I won't vote ANC grin

2 Likes

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by IronGalaxy: 2:02pm On Jan 12, 2019
TMKsouth:

Thanx for highlighting the complexities of SA. This is why some dumb Nigerians need to stay the hell clear of the landmine that is South African socio-economic relations. I really hate their inferiority complex towards white people & their attempt to caricature the black South African in particular as some lazy unproductive slave. I've come to notice it's their coping mechanism for plunging their own country to 'failed-statusdom'.

Indeed there was a bondage black middle-class during apartheid made up mostly of teachers, cops, doctors and nurses but u have to admit there was a class-ceiling. I was also raised by a nurse so life was ok. So unfortunately I was never fed, clothed by Nigerians and I don't know anyone who was. All their aid must have conveniently landed in the bank accounts & palatial homes of their rulers.
Man you can mentron their inferiority complex again! yoh it's the worst ever

2 Likes

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by XhosaNostra(f): 2:05pm On Jan 12, 2019
TMKsouth:

Lol, I still wonder when & how they fed us. But yeah, South African history is usually distorted. Some even claim we were kept aside. As in, we were never allowed to even go to town. You hear the craziest things about Apartheid & that from people who never lived it. Fortunately, I never experienced the worst of it personally. When I was a child in the 90s, dressed up for Guy Fawkes Day, we'd go to the white suburbs & come back with a lot of money. Maybe because we were children, I don't know, but they were nice to us.
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by Jaqenhghar: 2:28pm On Jan 12, 2019
TMKsouth:

Hmmm
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 2:48pm On Jan 12, 2019
IronGalaxy:
Man you can mentron their inferiority complex again! yoh it's the worst ever

And they wanna lead Africa?? What a joke.

Imagine being led by skin-bleaching self-loathers.

3 Likes

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 2:57pm On Jan 12, 2019
XhosaNostra:

Lol, I still wonder when & how they fed us. But yeah, South African history is usually distorted. Some even claim we were kept aside. As in, we were never allowed to even go to town. You hear the craziest things about Apartheid & that from people who never lived it. Fortunately, I never experienced the worst of it personally. When I was a child in the 90s, dressed up for Guy Fawkes Day, we'd go to the white suburbs & come back with a lot of money. Maybe because we were children, I don't know, but they were nice to us.

Wasn't East London part of a Homeland? Coz that would explain alot - your easy ride. Plus the 90s were the transition years so the whole country was changing.

That's why it's so outrageous some kids still experience racism at school in 2019, i.e. the reason we are on this thread.
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by JaceBlaze: 3:18pm On Jan 12, 2019
TMKsouth:

Thanx Jace. cool

But we should really thank our black leadership in politics, enterprise and society for ensuring we can walk with our heads held high as South Africans because there are many on our continent who would love to see us fail. Cyril Ramaphosa's address today gave me great hope for the future.

...even though I won't vote ANC grin
You are correct,we need to be thankful always even though the current ANC has been the enemy of the people.Do you sometimes just sit back and wonder how the people of SA voted Zuma twice even after he showed his true colours the first time? like WTF were they smoking? as for those who waiting for us to fail,well tell them to take it easy lol..

well you might end up not voting at all,what other options are there?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by XhosaNostra(f): 3:24pm On Jan 12, 2019
TMKsouth:

Wasn't East London part of a Homeland? Coz that would explain alot - your easy ride. Plus the 90s were the transition years so the whole country was changing.

That's why it's so outrageous some kids still experience racism at school in 2019, i.e. the reason we are on this thread.

East London fell under Ciskei. It was no easy ride. Saw a lot of things. When I was younger I was more afraid of the police, but not of all white people. My mother had nice employers who still sent her money for years even after they moved to England in '91. So I guess that experience taught me not to judge everyone by the colour of their skin.

I agree on the last part. Thought the incident was still under investigation. Have they concluded?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 3:31pm On Jan 12, 2019
JaceBlaze:
You are correct,we need to be thankful always even though the current ANC has been the enemy of the people.Do you sometimes just sit back and wonder how the people of SA voted Zuma twice even after he showed his true colours the first time? like WTF were they smoking? as for those who waiting for us to fail,well tell them to take it easy lol.

well you might end up not voting at all,what other options are there?

Despised Zuma from my teenage years while he was Deputy.

Like much of SA I like Cyril, but not his comrades. I actually think alone he can get like 90% of the vote as in those authoritarian states like Rwanda and them grin

Truthfully, I don't support any one party. I've voted ANC before (Mbeki years), Cope & DA (Zuma years), right now thinking DA still.

EFF... never.

And u?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 3:41pm On Jan 12, 2019
XhosaNostra:

East London fell under Ciskei. It was no easy ride. Saw a lot of things. When I was younger I was more afraid of the police, but not of all white people. My mother had nice employers who still sent her money for years even after they moved to England in '91. So I guess that experience taught me not to judge everyone by the colour of their skin.

I agree on the last part. Thought the incident was still under investigation. Have they concluded?

Teacher suspended & DOE sending staff for sensitivity training or such. I've got no beef with whites either, racists should be dealt with accordingly though (not EFF style grin)

Was Ciskei were all the crazy things with Bantu Holomisa went down? That guy has attitude in bucket-loads.

1 Like

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by XhosaNostra(f): 4:04pm On Jan 12, 2019
TMKsouth:

Teacher suspended & DOE sending staff for sensitivity training or such. I've got no beef with whites either, racists should be dealt with accordingly though (not EFF style grin)

Was Ciskei were all the crazy things with Bantu Holomisa went down? That guy has attitude in bucket-loads.

Oh, I see. That sounds fair. Lol @ EFF style. They're something else. Them & BLF. Can be quite funny sometimes.

Bantu Holomisa was over there with Mathanzima in Transkei. Basically, the Easter Cape was divided into two by the Kei river. Thus the names Ciskei & Transkei. The only "homeland rulers" whose names I remember is Oupa Gqozo & L.L Sebe.
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by JaceBlaze: 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2019
TMKsouth:

Despised Zuma from my teenage years while he was Deputy.

Like much of SA I like Cyril, but not his comrades. I actually think alone he can get like 90% of the vote as in those authoritarian states like Rwanda and them grin

Truthfully, I don't support any one party. I've voted ANC before (Mbeki years), Cope & DA (Zuma years), right now thinking DA still.

EFF... never.

And u?
Don't know why people thought that somebody who never finished school would be fit to run a country.

Cyril is promising but I hate the fact that he is surrounded by bad company that influence some of his decisions.I just wish he belonged to a different party.

I never voted before,I'm bit hesitant to register cause I don't really know who to vote for but the DA seems kind of tempting cause that's the only party that willing to tackle the illegal immigration issue.Other parties have been bullied into silence and don't have enough balls to call a spade a spade.
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 5:07pm On Jan 12, 2019
JaceBlaze:

I never voted before,I'm bit hesitant to register cause I don't really know who to vote for but the DA seems kind of tempting cause that's the only party that willing to tackle the illegal immigration issue.Other parties have been bullied into silence and don't have enough balls to call a spade a spade.

Ooooooo shocked On this forum nogal! grin

2 Likes

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by 1Sharon(f): 5:49pm On Jan 12, 2019
gregng:
Don't get it twisted, racism will always have it way in the world, it can never be eliminated... No matter much we fight against...

I agree with this, ppl have their head in the clouds.
Racism is about territory.
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by 1Sharon(f): 6:09pm On Jan 12, 2019
Olawalesmarter:
I will download that picture and use it to troll South African when ever there is social Media War between Us and them

You don't have to use that pic ,cos there are old pics from the actual apartheid yano?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by JaceBlaze: 7:07pm On Jan 12, 2019
TMKsouth:

Ooooooo shocked On this forum nogal! grin

lol what about this forum?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 8:07pm On Jan 12, 2019
JaceBlaze:
lol what about this forum?

Illegal migration & u been gatvol with it. U know mos our brothers here are almost all residing in SA illegally on fake papers.

There's a thread on the Travel section (Best West African Countries to be Nationalised) where they giving each other advise on bribing people to get a Ghanaian passport so they can get into Europe/Asia with it.

I really hope Ghanaians wake up to this trend coz their good passport is gonna weaken once "some people" are done with it. SA passport was similarly weakened in the 2000s bcoz of "some people" obtaining it to enter Europe Visa-free. That's why now u & me need visas to enter some European countries whereas it wasn't the case before.
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by JaceBlaze: 9:06pm On Jan 12, 2019
TMKsouth:

Illegal migration & u been gatvol with it. U know mos our brothers here are almost all residing in SA illegally on fake papers.

There's a thread on the Travel section (Best West African Countries to be Nationalised) where they giving each other advise on bribing people to get a Ghanaian passport so they can get into Europe/Asia with it.

I really hope Ghanaians wake up to this trend coz their good passport is gonna weaken once "some people" are done with it. SA passport was similarly weakened in the 2000s bcoz of "some people" obtaining it to enter Europe Visa-free. That's why now u & me need visas to enter some European countries whereas it wasn't the case before.
Well we can all thank ANC for all that.
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by LordReed(m): 10:22am On Jan 13, 2019
XhosaNostra:

Didn't apartheid essentially end in the 90s?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by XhosaNostra(f): 10:54am On Jan 13, 2019
LordReed:

Didn't apartheid essentially end in the 90s?

94 officially.
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by panafrican(m): 3:02pm On Jan 13, 2019
So what ? Do Black and White need to be forcibly together ? This type of News does nothing but dignify more those White who think Black people want to be with them all the time everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by sirBLUNT: 8:51am On Jan 14, 2019
Pusyiter:
ahaahaha
When you grow up?
lol grin
lol baba abeg where I fit repaire my phone screen for this una abuja or where una silicon valley dey?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by Pusyiter(m): 6:17pm On Jan 14, 2019
Go GSM Village
Ask taxi or cab, dem go help you
sirBLUNT:
lol baba abeg where I fit repaire my phone screen for this una abuja or where una silicon valley dey?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by sirBLUNT: 6:19pm On Jan 14, 2019
Pusyiter:
Go GSM Village
Ask taxi or cab, dem go help you
I dey maitama e no far be that abi?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by Pusyiter(m): 7:16pm On Jan 14, 2019
no
sirBLUNT:
I dey maitama e no far be that abi?
Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by morpheus24: 9:24pm On Jan 14, 2019
XhosaNostra:

Good points, but all whites were not rich & all blacks were not poor during Apartheid. I grew up in East London. Growing up there in the 90s, there was a place called eSigingqini, where all the poor white people lived. Most of the children there went to Grens, which was a school for poor white people back then.They were called amagxagxa, because they were less privileged & dirty. We need to paint a clear picture of the old South Africa, because some people tend to think we had no schools etc. Some even go as far as to claim that they fed & clothed us during Apartheid. I don't know about other black South Africans here, but both my parents worked & they were responsible. I wore Woolies even back in the day & got a new uniform every January. I was an "only child". We were not poor in MY family. We were working class.

Apatheid ran from 1948 to roughly 1992 so when you explain paint a good picture of all of it not the part you "experienced" or when laws became relaxed. I have personally heard stories and interviewed many individuals who are in their 60's and 70's that would paint a different picture and have seen passes of nursed in their 70's that restricted their movement in the cities from 7pm to 7am the next morning and they were only allowed limited movement as they worked in the hospitals (baragwana) in the day time. I have interviewed mine workers who were heavily discriminated against, lost their jobs, were not allowed to pursue certain professions and resorted to alcoholism and wife beaters.

PS we know whites and blacks intermingled in the 70's and 80's but albeit covertly. Your export to the US Trevor Noah elaborates on that in his book and also paints a good picture of life under apartheid in the early 80's and 90's.

There were many African countries that contributed to the struggle from the beginning to the end of Apartheid, Nigeria being one of them, Even though you did not feel the impact of her contributions, it was non the less given. Note I don not say this as some sort brag but that it did occur is a reality so take cognizance of that fact. It cannot be dismissed.

2 Likes

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by morpheus24: 9:29pm On Jan 14, 2019
TMKsouth:

SMH. The SA passport weakened as a result of mostly "Asian" migrants into Europe. Your indian community harboured and assimilated a lot of South Asian illegal immigrants and thus were the highest culprits of this act which spurred Britain to start requesting VIsa. Your White population were the second largest culprits as they saw how easy it was to emigrate to the UK via marriage and work visas and lastly the Africans the last set.

Please lets be truthful, the SA passport was never a desirable passport even though admittedly it has been used by many to transport themselves to mostly European countries.

1 Like

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 10:34pm On Jan 14, 2019
morpheus24:

SMH. The SA passport weakened as a result of mostly "Asian" migrants into Europe. Your indian community harboured and assimilated a lot of South Asian illegal immigrants and thus were the highest culprits of this act which spurred Britain to start requesting VIsa. Your White population were the second largest culprits as they saw how easy it was to emigrate to the UK via marriage and work visas and lastly the Africans the last set.

Please lets be truthful, the SA passport was never a desirable passport even though admittedly it has been used by many to transport themselves to mostly European countries.

You can't exactly call a passport that was then ranked in the 30s "undesirable", unless I'm missing something.

Anyway, I accept your argument about South Asians only in as far as terrorism goes. Those incidents were isolated and yet managed to spook some countries following the 9/11 attack.

6 Likes

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by XhosaNostra(f): 10:53pm On Jan 14, 2019
morpheus24:

Apatheid ran from 1948 to roughly 1992 so when you explain paint a good picture of all of it not the part you "experienced" or when laws became relaxed. I have personally heard stories and interviewed many individuals who are in their 60's and 70's that would paint a different picture and have seen passes of nursed in their 70's that restricted their movement in the cities from 7pm to 7am the next morning and they were only allowed limited movement as they worked in the hospitals (baragwana) in the day time. I have interviewed mine workers who were heavily discriminated against, lost their jobs, were not allowed to pursue certain professions and resorted to alcoholism and wife beaters.

PS we know whites and blacks intermingled in the 70's and 80's but albeit covertly. Your export to the US Trevor Noah elaborates on that in his book and also paints a good picture of life under apartheid in the early 80's and 90's.

There were many African countries that contributed to the struggle from the beginning to the end of Apartheid, Nigeria being one of them, Even though you did not feel the impact of her contributions, it was non the less given. Note I don not say this as some sort brag but that it did occur is a reality so take cognizance of that fact. It cannot be dismissed.

So what exactly is your point? I can only speak of what I have experienced, not hearsay. I have also heard of all the sad stories from my parents & others, mostly about the police, so what you're saying is not news to me. Even those that experienced the wrath of Apartheid 1st hand have bad & good things to say about it. The same way they also have good & bad things to say about the current government. So I'm not sure why you think your "interviews" with miners, paint a more clearer picture. Because the fact remains, the things I mentioned existed long before 1992. Not sure what you're getting all wheezy & long-winded about here.

Lol @ from beginning to end. You guys sure like to be the baby at every christening & the bride in every wedding. Newsflash, South Africans sacrificed a whole lot more, their lives! We weren't folding hands waiting to be rescued! Most of us have never heard of a country called Nigeria until you started yapping about the "billions" you allegedly donated to our movement. South Africans, minus the likes of Nelson Mandela etc, don't owe you or any other country anything. Because for one, we didn't flock en masse to other countries, running away from the brutality of Apartheid. We remained home. Two, a few people went for training in neighbouring countries, where they stayed in bushes or camp-like settings for the duration of their mission & were often betrayed or mistreated, according to the likes of Chris Hani etc. Where was the African brotherhood then? You guys like to accuse us of being xenophobic, when xenophobia started long before we made that term popular. You're just a bunch of attention seekers that's all. Ordinary South Africans don't recognize your contribution. You came into existence only recently as far as we're concerned. That is also a fact. Here's another one, the fact that we have foreigners living amongst us in South Africa today, is benevolence on the part of South Africans. We never bothered you lot about anything. Our people lived in bushes like rats but they accepted the offer & never complained or expected to be treated like royalty the way you do. FO!

4 Likes

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by XhosaNostra(f): 12:45am On Jan 15, 2019
morpheus24:

He didn't have a good experience in Nigeria going by the letter he sent to his mother before he mysteriously disappeared. What did you guys do to Mbuyisa Makhubo? We didn't forget. Hope you didn't eat him grin

Re: Black Pupils Separated From White Classmates In South Africa by TMKsouth: 4:13am On Jan 15, 2019
XhosaNostra:

! Most of us have never heard of a country called Nigeria until you started yapping about the "billions" you allegedly donated to our movement. South Africans, minus the likes of Nelson Mandela etc, don't owe you or any other country anything!

We do owe those that supported our plight a word of thanx though, and accolades. And I believe that has been achieved to some extent with Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Lesotho and Cuba. All of us know the price they had to pay. However, Nigeria's role still needs clarification, particularly from our side coz right now the noise is overwhelmingly one way traffic, from Nigeria.

Following their logic (Nigeria), it does make me wonder though about our past and current solidarity as SA with places like DRC, Burundi, Palestine & Western Sahara. Will they be indebted to us for eternity? Are we helping them now so we can shove it down their throats in future? Should we flock to their countries in our millions, go rogue & expect them to shut up otherwise we accuse them of ungratefulness? Will we ask for our millions in diplomacy & investment back? Just basically, should we hold them hostage for our past contributions for them?

Nigeria has assumed some sort of unfortunate & embarrassing entitlement to SA and I think our govt has responded rather adversely to this stance. And I stand with them.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

See What Americans Are Saying On Muslim Ban In The US - Cramjones / Elon Musk Showed A Flight Attendant His Penis & Offered Her A Horse For Sex / 3 Dead & 500 Injured As Storms Wash SCORPIONS & Snakes Into Egyptian Streets(Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.