Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,552 members, 7,955,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:35 PM

John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) (24277 Views)

John Ogu To Politicians: Ask Your Children To Represent Nigeria In Coming Games / Benjamin Okenna Swadinho: Pidgin Commentator In Russia 2018 (Photos) / Nwanneka Destiny, John Ogu's Sister Shades His Estranged Wife’s Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by tgmservice: 9:24pm On Jan 09, 2019
goldfish80:
I don't agree with Ogu. No Nigerian player merits a place in CAF best 11.
Thomas Partey has been a solid player for Athletico Madrid who won the European Cup last season. While Keita made the Bundesliga team of the season with Redbull before his transfer Liverpool.

Talk about Ekong, he played for a modest Turkish club last season and he was not even Nigerias best centre back in Russia.

It is noteworthy that this award is all about Prestige. A low profile player cannot make this kind of list. The competitions players rated, play in matter. Ekong and Ndidi do not play for clubs who participate in European competitions.

Finally, somebody ask Ogu why Abu Treka never won the African player of the year. If not for club profile.

Nigerians used to dominate this list some 20yrs ago with little or no fuss. How the mighty have fallen.
He moved from liezig to Liverpool not redbull
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Pamtoye(m): 9:25pm On Jan 09, 2019
Noss24:
. So Ndidi isn't good abi?
Den i guess he isn't of continental standards or d pesin in his position on d continental XI is just beta dan him undecided
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Olawalesmarter(m): 9:33pm On Jan 09, 2019
Nigerian Players really need to step up their game
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:44pm On Jan 09, 2019
wale377:
Sorry to say but he didn’t act like a professional sport person

go and sleep..he aired his opinion..
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Collins10(m): 10:04pm On Jan 09, 2019
Icon79:
I agree intoto with John Ogu. I have already criticized the entire CAF selections, myself, on twitter yesterday.

Wilfred Ndidi should make that list. He's better than both Patey and Keita. Ekong also is better than Bailley, so he not making the list doesn't make sense either. But, hey, that's CAF for you ... they never fail to disappoint.

In addition, Fancesca Odega ought to be crowned the AFPOY. She won the Women's AFCON, the South African lady didn't win nada. Finally, a case could be made that Sadio Mane deserves the APOY more than Salah. Mane had a better World Cup and he's having a better season so far. Football isn't only about goals shocked

O pari
How did Mane have a better world cup than Salah?
They both crashed out at the group stages.
Salah scored two goals for good measure.
Mane scored only once.

You are talking of having a better season, have you forgotten the award is from January to December?
They should forget Salah's exploits last season between January and May? You want to compare Mane to him?

Even if we talk of this season alone, how is Mane having a better season?
Salah has more goals, more assists and creates even more chances for team mates so far this season.

Seriously, how do you guys watch your own football?

1 Like

Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Foodforthought: 10:24pm On Jan 09, 2019
Koolking:
No Nigerian player has been impressive in the last 3years. CAF made the right call. John Ogu is entitled to his opinion but it's insignificant.

Nigerians with entitled mindset still thinks the world is waiting for them. Hell No! You must earn every respect and accolades.
No dey blow grammar there. How is Partey better than Ndidi? Which one is entitlement mentality. Asides joining Liverpool, what did Naby Keita do in 2018?
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by maik99(m): 10:41pm On Jan 09, 2019
Icon79:
I agree intoto with John Ogu. I have already criticized the entire CAF selections, myself, on twitter yesterday.

Wilfred Ndidi should make that list. He's better than both Patey and Keita. Ekong also is better than Bailley, so he not making the list doesn't make sense either. But, hey, that's CAF for you ... they never fail to disappoint.

In addition, Fancesca Odega ought to be crowned the AFPOY. She won the Women's AFCON, the South African lady didn't win nada. Finally, a case could be made that Sadio Mane deserves the APOY more than Salah. Mane had a better World Cup and he's having a better season so far. Football isn't only about goals shocked

bros how can you say Ekong is better than Bailly now? sentiments aside, bailly has not been seeing regular action for man united but that does not bring Ekong anywhere near him undecided
O pari
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by maik99(m): 10:44pm On Jan 09, 2019
those that are saying ndidi should make the list ahead of partey or naby watch only the pl/Nigeria's games..the player who shouldn't be in that midfield is mahrez
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by goldfish80(m): 10:48pm On Jan 09, 2019
Baselm:

Bailey made 13 appearances for Man utd last season(2017/2018) and most of it was in 2018, even when he's afforded a chance he plays bad, this season he has 8 appearances, still unconvincing. He wasn't at the world cup. How does it deserve to be on African best XI. Troost Ekong deserves it more, if not for his performances in Turkey, then his world cup and performances at Udinese this season should justify his inclusion ahead of Bailey.

Aurier was bench warming for Trippier throughout last season, are African footballers that bad?

Ndidi is one of the best defensive midfielders in the EPL, check the stats.He should be on the list with Thomas partey and one of Keita or Mahrez should drop out.

First of all, Ekong was not Nigeria's best defender in Russia. You can't tell me he was excellent in any of our group matches in Russia.
Recall his childish grappling of Manzukich against Croatia cost us a penalty in that game. In subsequent games, he was nothing special. So please put world cup performance aside.
The Egyptian centre back, Hegazi should feel aggrieved before Ekong as he was solid for Westbrom last season and was very good for Egypt in the AFCON and world cup qualifiers and even the world cup.

Coming to Ndidi, I don't believe he had a better season than Keita. Note that Keita played up to the Europa cup semi finals for Leipzig and he made the Europa team of the season and Bundesliga team of the season.
You can't say by merit, he doesn't deserve the recognition by Caf.

Truth is that there is a dearth in world class talent from Nigeria,unlike how it used to be in the past. There was a year 6 Nigerians dominated this Caf awards.
Instead of always crying foul, we must dig deep and ask ourselves how we can get back to being the best In Africa.
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by techliteup: 10:53pm On Jan 09, 2019
wisino1:
That is true ndidi is better in that position that partey
how is Ndidi better than Partey? just bcous he is a Nigerian
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by goldfish80(m): 10:54pm On Jan 09, 2019
tgmservice:

He moved from liezig to Liverpool not redbull

The (RB) in RB Liezig means Redbull. Due to DFBs regulation on ownership, they simply shortened Redbull to RB.
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Koolking(m): 11:15pm On Jan 09, 2019
Foodforthought:

No dey blow grammar there. How is Partey better than Ndidi? Which one is entitlement mentality. Asides joining Liverpool, what did Naby Keita do in 2018?

Bro, your opinion, it doesn't change the fact that no Nigerian came close in the last 3years for FIFA/CAF accolades.

Peace!
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Adiwana: 11:40pm On Jan 09, 2019
goldfish80:

First of all, Ekong was not Nigeria's best defender in Russia. You can't tell me he was excellent in any of our group matches in Russia.
Recall his childish grappling of Manzukich against Croatia cost us a penalty in that game. In subsequent games, he was nothing special. So please put world cup performance aside.
The Egyptian centre back, Hegazi should feel aggrieved before Ekong as he was solid for Westbrom last season and was very good for Egypt in the AFCON and world cup qualifiers and even the world cup.

Coming to Ndidi, I don't believe he had a better season than Keita. Note that Keita played up to the Europa cup semi finals for Leipzig and he made the Europa team of the season and Bundesliga team of the season.

Truth is that there is a dearth in world class talent from Nigeria,unlike how it used to be in the past. There was a year 6 Nigerians dominated this Caf awards.
Instead of always crying foul, we must dig deep and ask ourselves how we can get back to being the best In Africa.

Hegazi was good in the world cup??Dude,it's like you didn't watch Egypt at the WC??They were utter shiit from Keeper to Striker.Got beaten in all their games,conceded tons of goals and played poorly.Remind me of how he was good again

As for Ndidi,dude was solid for us throughout and had a pretty decent season and maintained consistency all Year round to make this team.Maybe Keita should be there,But no way should Mahrez make that team.Should be a back 3,Partey and Ndidi at the midfield to make it pivotal players then the front 3

Africa should really step up because apart from Koulibaly who's arguably the 2nd best defender behind VVD,Salah and Aubemayang, others are not world class players
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Riversides2003(m): 3:27am On Jan 10, 2019
Baselm:

Bailly, Aurier and Navy Keita. Bailey and Aurier were bench warmers last season and when they get the chance, they play bad plus their country didn't even make the world cup.

Warming bench in which club, it’s only Wilfred Ndidi that stands a very good chance amongst the Nigerian players jare
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by ruggedtimi(m): 6:45am On Jan 10, 2019
Riversides2003:
He should go and sleep somewhere jare, is it the once that are playing for money in China or the once warming benches in England. Who among the players on that list shouldn’t be there bros Ogu?
keita and mahrez
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by bigsmoke2(m): 7:06am On Jan 10, 2019
Ndidi should be on that team
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Riversides2003(m): 7:55am On Jan 10, 2019
ruggedtimi:
keita and mahrez

Keita and Mahrez still plays for their clubs, but think about it we are talking of Man city and Liverpool, which clubs are the Nigerian players playing for thatvthey still sitting on the bench?
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by goldfish80(m): 9:22am On Jan 10, 2019
Adiwana:

Hegazi was good in the world cup??Dude,it's like you didn't watch Egypt at the WC??They were utter shiit from Keeper to Striker.Got beaten in all their games,conceded tons of goals and played poorly.Remind me of how he was good again

As for Ndidi,dude was solid for us throughout and had a pretty decent season and maintained consistency all Year round to make this team.Maybe Keita should be there,But no way should Mahrez make that team.Should be a back 3,Partey and Ndidi at the midfield to make it pivotal players then the front 3

Africa should really step up because apart from Koulibaly who's arguably the 2nd best defender behind VVD,Salah and Aubemayang, others are not world class players

Paolo Di Canio played in a very poor team which got relgated, yet he was got a lot of credit.
Juninho Paulista played in a very poor Middlesbrough team but he got his head above waters.

Remember, we are talking about individual performance here. Hegazi really came to the party for Egypt and he was practically Westbrom's best player last season. Go and re-watch their world cup games. Individually, Ekong didn't have a better world cup than him. That's a fact.

Ndidi is a good player, but honestly, I don't think he had a better season than Keita who made Bundesliga best eleven and Europa team.
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by mywells: 10:05am On Jan 10, 2019
Shame the so called big brother of Africa was no where to be found, all their players know best is to show up their lavish life style on social media,they can not make their country proud among host of countries,
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Larryslim(m): 3:45pm On Jan 10, 2019
Please what did keita do??
Lmao,all because he moved to Liverpool or what?
Because i don't understand at all
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Kaylexzy(m): 5:35pm On Jan 10, 2019
Icon79:

O pari

I'm indifferent to a lot of things you typed. But what I'm gonna criticize is Mane over Salah for APOY, that is ridiculous.
Take nothing away from Mane, I actually prefer him to Mo Salah (Personal preference). But you just cannot compare someone who made top 3 of the Uefa awards and is officially the 3rd best footballer in the world. Like when last did an African player make the podium for The Best Player in the World?
Also, I can't categorically agree that Mane had a better World cup compared to Salah's, like they both got knocked out in the group stage. They never made it far. Salah was his team's top scorer tho, not sure about Mane.
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Icon79(m): 5:55pm On Jan 10, 2019
You actually made my point @the highlighted. The fact that Salah would make the top 3 of the Ballon d'Or ahead of the likes of Leo Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Griezemann, Eden Hazard, etc. clearly shows that the fix is in from the beginning. The world wants an Arab muslim footballer to do well. They need someone they can use as the "face of the game" in the Islamic/Arab world. That's what's going on here, bro.

It's all politics!

O pari

Kaylexzy:

I'm indifferent to a lot of things you typed. But what I'm gonna criticize is Mane over Salah for APOY, that is ridiculous.
Take nothing away from Mane, I actually prefer him to Mo Salah (Personal preference). But you just cannot compare someone who made top 3 of the Uefa awards and is officially the 3rd best footballer in the world. Like when last did an African player make the podium for The Best Player in the World?
Also, I can't categorically agree that Mane had a better World cup compared to Salah's, like they both got knocked out in the group stage. They never made it far. Salah was his team's top scorer tho, not sure about Mane.
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Baselm: 6:46pm On Jan 10, 2019
Riversides2003:

Warming bench in which club, it’s only Wilfred Ndidi that stands a very good chance amongst the Nigerian players jare

Bailly at Man utd and Aurier at Tottenham
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Baselm: 6:55pm On Jan 10, 2019
[quote author=goldfish80 post=74611150]

Instead of always crying foul, we must dig deep and ask ourselves how we can get back to being the best In Africa. [
Hegazi was solid for westbrom yet they relegated and no big club signed him, he was solid for Egypt and they lost all three world cup matches. Ekong was solid for Buraspor last season and was signed up by Udinese and has already played 19 league games in serie A. Nigeria also had a netter world cup than Egypt, forget the pk against Croatia who went all the way to the finals. Its clear u don't value Nigerian players.

Note: I haven't watched up to 10 super Eagles matches since Okocha retired, so don't say I'm arguing based on emotions or sentiments.
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by Kaylexzy(m): 8:16pm On Jan 10, 2019
Icon79:
You actually made my point @the highlighted. The fact that Salah would make the top 3 of the Ballon d'Or ahead of the likes of Leo Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Griezemann, Eden Hazard, etc. clearly shows that the fix is in from the beginning. The world wants an Arab muslim footballer to do well. They need someone they can use as the "face of the game" in the Islamic/Arab world. That's what's going on here, bro.

It's all politics!

O pari

Lol. Bro, I beg to disagree cos there are no facts nor figures to backup such claims.
Mo Salah according to the voters deserved to be the 3rd best footballer in the world.
It was a record breaking year for him! Please give him that rather than bringing up conspiracy theories.
Modric deserved to be named the best according to voters.
Tbh, if the Balon d'or of 2018 was left in the hands of the public to vote, I kid you not. Mo Salah would win. Dude has got a crazy fanbase on Social Media.
But still there are no conspiracies here. 3rd in the world? Well deserved! The numbers/ achievements don't lie.
Re: John Ogu Slams CAF As Nigeria Missed Out On Africa Best XI For 2018 (photos) by veraiyke(m): 9:43pm On Jan 11, 2019
only Benatia and Koulibaly are worth being in that defence

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eden Hazard Wins 2019 Europa League Player Of The Season Award / Anthony Joshua Accepts Terms For Tyson Fury Fight / Nigeria U20 Stars Hand Cash To Patients During Visit To New Plymouth Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.