Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:03 AM

My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (6209 Views)

My Experience Using Tecno, After Using Samsung For 9years. / My Experience Using XIAOMI Device / Kaios! My Experience Using The So-called Smart-featured Phone Introduced By MTN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by calddon(m): 9:36pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

Exactly why I NEVER root not to talk of flashing my daily drivers. Been there done that, there was a time I use to flash up to 5 roms a month, never going back to that.
dude, during my HTC days I flashed more than 3 roms a day. Once the device is S-off....I fire grin

But now with age and other factors, too old for flashing plus there are lots of things to consider.

Android dev has also come of age. Most features our beloved custom rom gave us then are now integrated into the latest software versions
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by fibonacci2526: 10:05pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

So I need 4gb of ram on a snapdragon 636 device before I can keep 2 apps in background. Weird as I've seen many mediatek devices with 2gb of ram do better.

Change your ROM to the global ROM.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 14, 2019
fibonacci2526:

Change your ROM to the global ROM.

Na wa oh, people that are using the global version are saying Chinese version is better, now u are saying I should flash global version

Darkseid:
You are not alone on that, ram management on MIUI really sucks. I was even thinking of flashing a custom ROM just because of it. My sister has a 3gb Redmi Note 4x but her apps can stay for days without refreshing; it might be because she's on China ROM.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by fibonacci2526: 10:10pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

Na wa oh, people that are using the global version are saying Chinese version is better, now u are saying I should flash global version

Personally I don't like the Chinese version because of the way it handles notification, it's a big turn off for me. I think you should try the global ROM, you will find joy with it. grin
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by kvngjesse(m): 10:10pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:

I have gone past unlocking bootloader and flashing roms, this is a 2018 phone, 3gb of ram and snapdragon 636. If it cannot handle simple multitasking then whats the hype about? If this was a mediatek phone a lot of people would be here screaming mediatek is bad bla bla. Android OS has advanced past the stage where we need to be flashing roms up and down to fix a simple thing as keeping just 2 apps in the background.. android 8.1 for that matter. Plus its addictive, when u start flashing roms then u will never get satisfied, u will always go back to search for new roms and before u know it u would be flashing 3-5 roms a month.
The problem with the multitasking is MIUI itself my bro. I get the 636 fact and 2018 all that. But miui is the problem thhere
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by kvngjesse(m): 10:18pm On Jan 14, 2019
calddon:

you don't go flashing different roms on a daily driver..

You are right, the miui os pinned down the performance. Its just too heavy. They should develop a lighter version of their o.s...more like an MIUIgo wink
This is exactly my point , miui is too heavy
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by AndroBlaze: 10:47pm On Jan 14, 2019
greenhulk:
So my ever dependable LG V20 got broken, the charging port got burnt and one of LG's major flaw with this phone was to incorporate the USB C port into the phone's motherboard, in other words the safest way to change the charging port is to change the complete motherboard. Of course the charging port alone can be changed by someone with very good soldering skills. Cut long story short, I got someone to change the port, he took his time to solder the thing and the phone started charging, but then I lost all form of mobile connectivity. I got this service disabled problem, the phone recognized when there's a sim card in it but would say service disabled so I can't make or receive calls, nor text messages. But the wifi and Bluetooth work. I have searched the whole internet, nothing works. So for the meantime I decided to use my wife's Xioami Redmi note 5 (3 gig ram, 32 gig Rom, snapdragon 636) as my primary device for the meantime since she got an iPhone as her primary phone. The experience is not so good.

1. Problem with MIUI 10.2 and MIUI generally. This phone has the potential to be a good phone but mhen I hate MIUI. No doubt they got some nice features but here are some little things that are just unnecessary like notification management. On my LG and every other android phone it is easier to expand notification using 2 fingers, good luck doing that with this phone. Its like Xiaomi took a very simple Android feature and complicated it.

And then there is this annoying notification everytime I connect to a wifi. It keeps telling me this wifi has no internet connection even when there's internet. Every time I unlock the phone it brings out the same stupid notification that this wifi has no internet connection, I've tried to no avail to stop this but no way.

2. Missed notification: If u are the type that don't want to miss a notification this is not the phone for u, especially those apps that u rarely use. MIUI will put those apps to sleep and u will hardly get notification. I miss some of my emails because off this. The walkaround is to go to settings, battery saver and choose each app and click 'non restrictions' for every apps. Really Xiaomi? So I need to do this for every apps if I don't want to miss my notifications. Even after doing that if u don't use the app for a few days the damn phone will put the app into sleep, so that means if I don't use my yahoo mail app for say 5 days and a mail comes on the 6th day I'm not gonna get notified.. this is no good... I would rather lose some battery power than miss my notifications.

3. Terrible Ram management: This is the most annoying thing this phone does. It struggles to keep apps in background, sometimes while typing using browser and I just left for 5 seconds to read a whatsapp notification and use the recent app to jump back to browser, the stupid thing will refresh. Really Xioami? The annoying thing is sometimes maybe I was typing on browser and received a phone call, my guy everything that I have typed will be gone I need to start from the beginning because the stewpid thing will refresh. And it does this for almost all apps. And before someone tells me its because I'm using the 3gb ram version, I have used phones with 2gb of ram and they still keep apps in background. This is 3gb of ram and snapdragon 636 for that matter. I was planning to buy Xiaomi mi 8 but I don't just think I can stand MIUI.

4. Some UI inconsistency: MIUI 10 looks like something in its beta, its so inconsistent. I get some UI glitches, like sometimes trying to pinch to zoom and it will take some time to respond. And then I can't type as fast as I do on my LG V20 because its not that responsive, maybe I'm nitpicking because I have been spoiled by super responsive phones.

I'm in market for another daily driver. I like value for money, I'm no longer the type to spend over 300k on a phone.. not anymore, I'll rather buy a last year flagship for half the price than waste all that money. Redmi note 5 has an amazing battery but I seek more from a phone than just battery. Considering LG v30 now. Mad specs at a very good price.

Everything you mentioned (except the RAM hungry nature of MIUI) is because you are not familiar with MIUI.

1. Notifications is not an issue with Global ROM

2. Notifications is not an issue with Global ROM

3. For apps not closing while multitasking switch of battery saver and if your ROM is similar to Global ROM when you press Recents hold the app you don't want closed, you should see a padlock sign which when selected padlocks the app in your memory, so even if you accidentally click clear memory cache (like i do often) the apps padlocked will not close unless MIUI crashes.

4. The chinese ROM is always getting updated first and consistently improving- I have been using Xiaomi phones for almost 5 years now and have learnt constant updates and innovations can be a bit of a headache- Global ROM updates slower and is far more stable.

You've got a good phone which might not be that user friendly if you are stuck on or to use to stock android(i use to always flash Cyanogen on mine in the early days but have since adopted MIUI)- I'll wrap this up by saying no matter how good a driver I think I am I could never handle a Ferrari the way Alonso would.....
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by horlahwaley(m): 2:18am On Jan 15, 2019
Turn off miui optimization in developer option and thank me later.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by MilesLamar(m): 8:20am On Jan 15, 2019
Unku, If the phone isn't working well, sale it na haba

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 15, 2019
AndroBlaze:

3. For apps not closing while multitasking switch of battery saver and if your ROM is similar to Global ROM when you press Recents hold the app you don't want closed, you should see a padlock sign which when selected padlocks the app in your memory, so even if you accidentally click clear memory cache (like i do often) the apps padlocked will not close unless MIUI crashes.

I have used the padlock icon to locky browser to memory and so far I noticed browser no longer refreshes. So thumbs up. I'll use it for the rest of the day and give my verdict. But I still get some glitches on pages with pictures, like when I zoom on a picture on browser sometimes it goes back to previous or next page like it can't handle it. Also there's this glitch while typing (I use Gboard). A lot of times when I press the space button once it registers it as a double tap and adds a full stop instead of space.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by twixx(f): 9:13am On Jan 15, 2019
The wifi notification you complained about, greenhulk was set by you or maybe your wife.
Just go to Wifi click on additional settings
then click on Wifi Assistant and turn it off.
Thats it.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by twixx(f): 9:15am On Jan 15, 2019
For notifications i'm afraid @greenhulk you'd have to set it yourself.

I get annoyed to be honest about the amount of times i get email notifications.

there are two ways to set it so you get notifications
1st way is going through settings
but the way i prefer is going through my recent app i hold down the app i want notifications to pop up on till three icons appear you click on the the third icon and a settings page for the app pops up then you click on notifications then enable it.

Xiaomi devices aren't for everyone, i love phones and i enjoy optimizing my phone myself makes me feel techy lol
but you come across as someone who cant be bothered so you might as well stick to other brands.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 9:22am On Jan 15, 2019
twixx:
The Wi-Fi notification you complained about, greenhulk was set by you or maybe your wife.
Just go to
Settings > Wi-Fi > click on additional settings
then click on Wifi Assistant and turn it off.
Thats it.

I just checked and wifi assistant is off. Any other thing I could do? I am currently using an mtn hotspot right now so it doesn't show the message. But when at home using my spectranet it bugs the hell out of me with that notification. Granted the spectranet is not as fast as MTN but it sure has connection and works well on my other devices.

Note: the screenshot I posted was from last week Thursday, like I said I am on a different wifi now and not getting the message so I couldn't take screenshot now.

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by twixx(f): 9:24am On Jan 15, 2019
greenhulk:

I just checked and wifi assistant is off. Any other thing I could do?

ive never had this issue to be honest have you considered factory resetting your phone
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 15, 2019
twixx:

ive never had this issue to be honest have you considered factory resetting your phone

I just modified my post, kindly read again. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by twixx(f): 9:40am On Jan 15, 2019
greenhulk:

I just modified my post, kindly read again. Thanks.

okay just seen your update.
i also use spectranet and when network is bad i get a particular pop up but different from the one in your screenshot.

If wifi assistant was turned off while you got the pop up in your screenshot then try turning it on when you are home.

lets see what notifications you get.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by IKON360(m): 10:07am On Jan 15, 2019
greenhulk:

I have used the padlock icon to locky browser to memory and so far I noticed browser no longer refreshes. So thumbs up. I'll use it for the rest of the day and give my verdict. But I still get some glitches on pages with pictures, like when I zoom on a picture on browser sometimes it goes back to previous or next page like it can't handle it. Also there's this glitch while typing (I use Gboard). A lot of times when I press the space button once it registers it as a double tap and adds a full stop instead of space.
that keyboard ish isn't a glitch that's the default setting of most keyboards, double tap spacebar and the app will automatically add full stop
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 10:32am On Jan 15, 2019
IKON360:

that keyboard ish isn't a glitch that's the default setting of most keyboards, double tap spacebar and the app will automatically add full stop

I know this, I'm not a novice with mobile devices. What I'm saying is sometimes a single tap is registered as a double tap and when this happens it continues until after I lock the phone and unlock or I type very slowly.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by IKON360(m): 11:05am On Jan 15, 2019
greenhulk:

I know this, I'm not a novice with mobile devices. What I'm saying is sometimes a single tap is registered as a double tap and when this happens it continues until after I lock the phone and unlock or I type very slowly.
hmm your phone is wonderful
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by sureteeboy(m): 11:39am On Jan 15, 2019
greenhulk:

Try SwiftKey. I don't experience such issues on my Redmi Note 5

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:35pm On Jan 15, 2019
greenhulk:
Redmi Note 5 ......

Did you consider changing the rom to AOSP one?

Fully recommend the Pixel Experience ROM.

Save your money, cos these your complaints simply are a result of not being familiar with the quirks of MIUI. Most of these things can be solved by changing some settings in it.

Starting with these ones:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/guide-redmi-note-3-sd-mtk-multi-tasking-t3358433/page8

But seeing that even the UI design is not to your taste, just switch the ROM . There's nothing wrong with the hardware

Meanwhile your spectranet issue has little to do with the ROM/Device.

I started using spectranet recently and I experience that same issue on multiple devices I connect to the Mifi.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by alivexhd: 2:23pm On Jan 15, 2019
Try the best thermometer apps for iphone and you'll be amazed.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Dam5reey(m): 11:15pm On Jan 15, 2019
greenhulk:

I'm in market for another daily driver. I like value for money, I'm no longer the type to spend over 300k on a phone.. not anymore, I'll rather buy a last year flagship for half the price than waste all that money . Redmi note 5 has an amazing battery but I seek more from a phone than just battery. Considering LG v30 now. Mad specs at a very good price.

Xiaomi and bugs.. I would suggest you buy Redmi Note 7 it has 48MP camera.. that can let in more Light.. grin

This is coming from a tech person...
Cc Henry007

I will rather buy a Note 8, V30, Pixel 2, S8 now than waste money on latest phone especially mid ranger, they are not worth it
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by henry007(m): 12:00am On Jan 16, 2019
Dam5reey:

Xiaomi and bugs.. I would suggest you buy Redmi Note 7 it has 48MP camera.. that can let in more Light.. grin

Cc Henry007

I will rather buy a Note 8, V30, Pixel 2, S8 now than waste money on latest phone especially mid ranger, they are not worth it

Are any of the phones you suggested about value for money or you get exactly what you pay for?
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by henry007(m): 12:13am On Jan 16, 2019
greenhulk:

Exactly why I NEVER root not to talk of flashing my daily drivers. Been there done that, there was a time I use to flash up to 5 roms a month, never going back to that.

To be honest I'm where you are. Been there done that. Moved on.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by henry007(m): 12:16am On Jan 16, 2019
greenhulk:

I just checked and wifi assistant is off. Any other thing I could do? I am currently using an mtn hotspot right now so it doesn't show the message. But when at home using my spectranet it bugs the hell out of me with that notification. Granted the spectranet is not as fast as MTN but it sure has connection and works well on my other devices.

Note: the screenshot I posted was from last week Thursday, like I said I am on a different wifi now and not getting the message so I couldn't take screenshot now.

I had one WiFi bug on my Note 4X, that one just doesn't connect automatically to WiFi that you've used before so once you leave the area of reach and back again, you have to manually tap the network to re-connect. Though you won't need password again. It was just an annoyance to say the least.
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Dam5reey(m): 12:36am On Jan 16, 2019
henry007:

Are any of the phones you suggested about value for money or you get exactly what you pay for?

Value for money, Note 8 is no longer close to 1000USD

Brand new is 400-500USD same for others they are within 400$
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by henry007(m): 1:04am On Jan 16, 2019
Dam5reey:

Value for money, Note 8 is no longer close to 1000USD

Brand new is 400-500USD same for others they are within 400$

The lowest price I'm seeing on Jumia is 188K for the 64GB variant.

Is that the best use of 188K in 2019?
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Dam5reey(m): 1:14am On Jan 16, 2019
henry007:

The lowest price I'm seeing on Jumia is 188K for the 64GB variant.

Is that the best use of 188K in 2019?

There are no 2019 flagship.. yet ..

I didn't say 100k, I mentioned 400 to 500 USD compared to when it was released at 900USD

Do you think I would go from Note 9?

Price has depreciated and not performance... No midrange device come close to SD 835...

He was using V20, And V30 is an upgrade.. from 820 to 835..

Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by henry007(m): 3:08am On Jan 16, 2019
Dam5reey:

There are no 2019 flagship.. yet ..

I didn't say 100k, I mentioned 400 to 500 USD compared to when it was released at 900USD

Do you think I would go from Note 9?

Price has depreciated and not performance... No midrange device come close to SD 835...

He was using V20, And V30 is an upgrade.. from 820 to 835..

V30 is great and all but its not really value for money. Reason why he ran into problems with charging port and ultimately death of his connectivity to begin with is coz he bought the V20 then. Battery was probably 4hours SOT leading to wall socket hugging.

Is he buying from Amazon?
Re: My Experience Using Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 16, 2019
Dam5reey:

Cc Henry007

I'm. Looking at note 8 and v30. Thanks bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

♨️♨️SAMSUNG S21ultra Snapdragon. for Sale (#just 3months used) / Nokia E5 Vs Nokia E75 Smartphone / I Just Won This Beast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.