Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism (16060 Views)

Strike: Buhari Playing Physiological Game, ASUU Replies Garba Shehu / Crack In ASUU As Members Want End To Strike / IPPIS: ASUU Replies President Buhari On Salary Payment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by chichar1(f): 8:01am On Jan 15, 2019
PassingShot:
Selfish idiots!

And students whose future is being destroyed by these lecturers will watch on!

A government trying to accede to your needs (owed by past govts o) is the one you can't reason with.you are big Disgrace to humanity!!!!!!!!!!! I don't blame you!!!!!!!

Na OBJ fit una.
[s][/s]

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Nobody: 8:04am On Jan 15, 2019
This is gonna b a long one

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by PresidentAtiku(m): 8:04am On Jan 15, 2019
KINGwax007:
you no get brain, if u do, it's over a little larger than a mosquito's.

Did u know which regime actually owed the arrears and made unfulfilled agreements?

shut up please!
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Kenmatt(m): 8:07am On Jan 15, 2019
The strike will soon be called off. That is the key point here.

We all know the bet ASUU placed here. It's election period, lets hold them on their testis, as we go on strike, Nigerians will lament, in a bid to be progressive (win the election), they will succumb to our wish.

ASUP also predicted the game ASUU has played, embark on a strike too. I am afraid if theirs will be met too. We all know how they see Polytechnics here.

Federal government being the punter, sent their agent in the person of Dr Chris Ngige as a pundit, he has been driving them through, bargaining as if they are selling crayfish.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Nobody: 8:07am On Jan 15, 2019
Nigerianization:
You guys should end this strike already

My little cousin sister is turning into something else
flog the devil out of her, before they resume
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by flowalk(m): 8:07am On Jan 15, 2019
ASUU has no pity for the Nigerian students, despite the offer the fg is offering them they still want 220bn.... that's half of the ministry of education budget, how on earth will that be possible
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by theoldpretender(m): 8:18am On Jan 15, 2019
KINGwax007:
Why are these people mad?

1.1trillion abi wetim I hear?

They aren't

1.1 trillion is even far less than what was originally agreed on in 2009...which was 1.5 trillion per annum

And that is the only sane alternative...because the other alternatives are allowing the status quo to stand, meaning producing poorly prepared graduates, or

RAISING fees....

You cannot pay $200 for something worth $20000.
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by don4real18(m): 8:21am On Jan 15, 2019
PresidentAtiku:
Everything going upside down and downside up in this useless regime.

Hownia this government different from the past governments they have abused and blamed?
There was no strike during Jonathan's regime, right?
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by theoldpretender(m): 8:21am On Jan 15, 2019
PassingShot:
Selfish idiots!

A government trying to accede to your needs (owed by past govts o) is the one you can't reason with.

Na OBJ fit una.

ASUU might be selfish...but the truth is, ASUU is also fighting for the students.

If ASUU does not get the funding they need....Vice Chancellors across Nigeria would have to....you guessed it....raise fees drastically.

And that is not politically popular....nor is it popular among ASUU members too (whose kids too go to school).

So, either government pays up...or fees go up.
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by mrvitalis(m): 8:21am On Jan 15, 2019
EndASUUstrike:
FG should stop Making Empty promises
FG should meet the demands of ASUU/ASUP
FG should grow the Educational Sector
FG should STOP toying with the students future

FG should EndASUUstrike
FG should EndASUUstrike
FG should EndASUUstrike

FG should EndAsupStrike
FG should EndAsupStrike!!

We want it to END NOW!!!!!

With which money ?
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Oluwo1: 8:22am On Jan 15, 2019
I weep for my country Nigeria .. embarassed embarassed .. if the students are serious, I am sure more than 50% of them are over 18years old, so they should vote this old set of people out and so they can graduate and hopefully get a job when they are done

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Tamart: 8:23am On Jan 15, 2019
ASUU has never for once fought for the welfare of the students, its always their allowances. Greedy people.

I will always miss OBJ.
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 15, 2019
PassingShot:
Selfish idiots!

A government trying to accede to your needs (owed by past govts o) is the one you can't reason with.

Na OBJ fit una.
Why did this government suddenly stop paying the allocated N1.1 trillion spread for 5 years?. Are you are aware that many lecturers are receiving half salary for no just cause?
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 15, 2019
naunasabi:
I am not sure which one is worse ASUU or FGN?

The leaders of ASUU and FGN all have their children abroad schooling while the poor masses bear the brunt of ASUU and FGN shenanigans.

At least whatever ASUU is asking for if attained will benefit the children of the poor schooling in Nigeria. what I don't understand is how FGN not meeting ASUU's demands is at interest of the masses?

Someone that understands the situation better should please explain to us how FGN position is for our own good.
Not true

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by theoldpretender(m): 8:26am On Jan 15, 2019
PresidentAtiku:
Everything going upside down and downside up in this useless regime.

Hownia this government different from the past governments they have abused and blamed?

Well...in 2009....ASUU got a promise of 3 trillion naira from Yaradua.

By 2012...the money had not been paid. ASUU went on strike twice...under your lord and savior GEJ and your lord and savior GEJ told ASUU some home truths, that the 3 trillion was not possible...and offered them I trillion over 5 years.(back when oil was above 100USD per barrel).

Now the Lifeless one has told ASUU that even that was not possible...the thing was revised down again...and still govt cant pay.

Unless you want govt to dash ASUU 3 trillion from our budget of 9 trillion for universities....just universities....

Look, the thing is ASUU and govt don;t want to increase fees...which is the only solution.
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by theoldpretender(m): 8:28am On Jan 15, 2019
naunasabi:
I am not sure which one is worse ASUU or FGN?

The leaders of ASUU and FGN all have their children abroad schooling while the poor masses bear the brunt of ASUU and FGN shenanigans.

At least whatever ASUU is asking for if attained will benefit the children of the poor schooling in Nigeria. what I don't understand is how FGN not meeting ASUU's demands is at interest of the masses?

Someone that understands the situation better should please explain to us how FGN position is for our own good.

Most ASUU members children school in Nigeria...even in the public schools. As a university lecturer , your children even get relatively easy passage regarding admission, even if you are not from the catchment area.

Some ASUU members kids also school in private schools....the minority school abroad. (And going abroad is not easy)
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Samcathe: 8:28am On Jan 15, 2019
I still believe so much in this country. We will get it right one day

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by blackgold2018(m): 8:29am On Jan 15, 2019
Ehiscotch:
ASUU are a bunch of greedy persons. I realised how stupid they were when they requested to be removed from the TSA. They want full autonomy of their finances but don't want to be subjected to monitoring.

They would make silly agreements with previous by governments who wanted them to call of the strike and hold the incumbent to ransom. I know government is a continuum but these people should be reasonable.

ASUU aren't fighting for an increase in allocation to the education sector; they are fighting for the increases wages of their members.

Yes we know ASUU can be at fault sometimes. But what's wrong with the union seeking for an increment in their wages.
Workers and staffs in organizations n companies do that too.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by capitalzero: 8:31am On Jan 15, 2019
9Ebiscoo:
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is set to submit its reports today to the federal government in response to the proposal made by the latter to the union on Monday last week.

National President of the union, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, who disclosed this yesterday in an exclusive interview with THISDAY, said the national leadership took the federal government’s offer to its members, who have turned down the offer, insisting that they would not accept tokenism.
Ogunyemi, who queried the refusal of the federal government to commit itself to a full tranche of the payment for revitalisation, which is N220 billion, and spread it for a period of five quarters in order to show commitment, said the proposal of over N34 billion is too low to be accepted when compared to N1.1 trillion.

While insisting that a time-frame for payments must be attached to further agreements being made by the federal government with the union, the national president also said evidence of payment must also be made, adding that all that have been done are mere verbal speeches.
He said,”Yes, we took the proposal to our members and we are preparing feedback reports and by tomorrow (today), the federal government will get the union’s response.

“Our members said the amount is just too small and far from what was expected or envisaged. Our members are willing to shift grounds concerning the strike but they emphasised that they will not take tokenism.

“Is what we are asking for too much? What we are asking for is not too much. Why can’t the government give us one tranche of the five outstanding tranches for revitalisation? Why can’t the government pay the sum of N220 billion in each quarter and spread it over a period of five quarters? Remember that the issue of the Earned Academic Allowance is there.

“We are asking for a collaboration and confirmation of payment when it is done because evidence of payment is necessary. Government has been failing in its promises and so, we are calling for a timeline as regards payment. What we even have so far is a verbal statement as we are yet to see evidence of payment.”

On the issue of reversing its agreement on the participation of its members in the forthcoming general elections, Ogunyemi said there was no reversal whatsoever as members are permitted to join in the preparations.

He, however, said that the union, contrary to past arrangements, will not be able to recommend its members to the electoral body but have permitted them to participate based on personal discretion, as the union stands for democracy and its tenets.

“There was no u-turn to the agreement that members are free to participate in the general elections. What we said is that ASUU will not recommend people but members are free to participate. We will not be able to do for them what we were doing before.

“We didn’t stop our members from working with INEC. They are free to do so but on their own decision and freewill. That means personal discretion will be applied. After all the strike is not against INEC, neither is it against democracy or against the country. We will do everything possible to support the elections.”

While empathising with Nigerian students over the negative effects of the strike, Ogunyemi disclosed that once the federal government does what is expected of it, the strike will be called off within days.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/01/15/ASUU-replies-fg-today-as-members-reject-tokenism/?amp

if i have any opportunity i will crush ASUU and all labour unions completely. greedy mofos
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by theoldpretender(m): 8:31am On Jan 15, 2019
asuustrike1:

Why did this government suddenly stop paying the allocated N1.1 trillion spread for 5 years?. Are you are aware that many lecturers are receiving half salary for no just cause?

Because, government cannot afford it.

Oil is at $60....we need it at $140 for a balanced budget. And oil is dropping.

(And because corruption).

If GEJ could not afford the 3 trillion over 2 years promised in 2009...and at high oil prices even....then this govt can;t afford the same.

Thing is, at the end of the day, unviersites need far more than that 1.1 trillion.(And no,I am not defending Bubu..).
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by theoldpretender(m): 8:33am On Jan 15, 2019
flowalk:
ASUU has no pity for the Nigerian students, despite the offer the fg is offering them they still want 220bn.... that's half of the ministry of education budget, how on earth will that be possible

Because it is what the universites need to keep fees low...and most of that money is going for facilities.

Failure to get that money...which is even LESS than what the lecturers negotiated....means higher fees.
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by theoldpretender(m): 8:35am On Jan 15, 2019
Tamart:
ASUU has never for once fought for the welfare of the students, its always their allowances. Greedy people.

I will always miss OBJ.

OBJ markedly increased lecturer's salaries....back in 2001.

And ASUU even then still went on strike back then...even around 2003. Strikes are not for salaries...them lecturers too want better facilities.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 15, 2019
theoldpretender:

Because, government cannot afford it.

Oil is at $60....we need it at $140 for a balanced budget. And oil is dropping.

(And because corruption).

If GEJ could not afford the 3 trillion over 2 years promised in 2009...and at high oil prices even....then this govt can;t afford the same.

Thing is, at the end of the day, unviersites need far more than that 1.1 trillion.(And no,I am not defending Bubu..).
The government can afford it don't let them deceive you. We have many persons working under the government that gives information
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by theoldpretender(m): 8:38am On Jan 15, 2019
asuustrike1:

The government can afford it don't let them deceive you. We have many persons working under the government that gives information

No they can't.

Maybe 220 bn over 5 years...but not 1.1 trillion in my opinion.

And the truth is , universities need FAR more than that.

Eventually, fees have to go up to supplement funding.
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Samcathe: 8:39am On Jan 15, 2019
it is well in this country
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by islandmoon: 8:42am On Jan 15, 2019
useless ASUU, making hundreds of billion from side programmes with public properties, unaccredited programmes , owned private businesses, selling books among others.
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by donbrowser(m): 8:48am On Jan 15, 2019
Ehiscotch:
ASUU are a bunch of greedy persons. I realised how stupid they were when they requested to be removed from the TSA. They want full autonomy of their finances but don't want to be subjected to monitoring.

They would make silly agreements with previous by governments who wanted them to call of the strike and hold the incumbent to ransom. I know government is a continuum but these people should be reasonable.

ASUU aren't fighting for an increase in allocation to the education sector; they are fighting for the increases wages of their members.

When you don't know something you ask. FG is not selfish for removing subsidy claiming to put a stop to fuel scarcity and queue? Same thing should be done to ASUU by reforming the educational sector to end the yearly strike forever. Is that too much to ask for?
How can ministry of information get more funds than ministry of education? Now think about that

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by EndASUUstrike: 8:54am On Jan 15, 2019
mrvitalis:

With which money ?
Is Nigeria broke
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by Idcomics: 9:06am On Jan 15, 2019
azraeljaheel:
Poor man go everly dey suffer

Can’t forget the last ASUU strike I experienced better one year for house helped improved my bbal handles tho but then again me and my padi we get admission together the olodo first me graduate cuz na private school him go, na so I spill a year oo without failing embarassed

bleeped up academic system
oh you played basketball? good thing to do with one's life in this messed up system
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by 4gunners(m): 9:10am On Jan 15, 2019
1trillion!!! 220bn in 5 quarters. How much is Nigeria overall budget for 2019? ASUU shoukd be realistic with their demand. FGN should also show sincerity in their negotiation.

That six months ASUU strike still rings in my head. Strike no be joke.
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by sammy99(m): 9:12am On Jan 15, 2019
prof.biodun ogunremi,we dont need d same news everyday.

Jst tell us either d strike is cancelled or not and keep ur story to urself if u cannot give us d video of ur close door meetings lets see whether u pple are truely negotiating of jst coming to d meeting pass time.
Re: ASUU Replies FG Today As Members Reject Tokenism by PresidentAtiku(m): 9:13am On Jan 15, 2019
theoldpretender:

Well...in 2009....ASUU got a promise of 3 trillion naira from Yaradua.

By 2012...the money had not been paid. ASUU went on strike twice...under your lord and savior GEJ and your lord and savior GEJ told ASUU some home truths, that the 3 trillion was not possible...and offered them I trillion over 5 years.(back when oil was above 100USD per barrel).

Now the Lifeless one has told ASUU that even that was not possible...the thing was revised down again...and still govt cant pay.

Unless you want govt to dash ASUU 3 trillion from our budget of 9 trillion for universities....just universities....

Look, the thing is ASUU and govt don;t want to increase fees...which is the only solution.
What is the loan portfolio of the current government and what has it been used for?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Share Your Secondary School Wicked Senior Experience / List Of Candidates For 5th Regular Course Interview Into Police Academy 2017 / Help, I Have a Testimonial Instead Of a First School Leaving Certificate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.