Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,210 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist (4666 Views)

Lagos DPO's Missing Pistol: Police Release Lady, Removes DPO Over PUNCH's Report / Abia Lawmaker, Uzoma Abonta Accuses Buba Yakub Of Plagiarising His Bill / NASS Leadership: Elumelu, Ossai, Chukwuka, Abonta Battle 4 House Minority Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by LocalChamp: 3:17am On Jan 16, 2019
Published January 16, 2019
An activist, Kayode Bello, has accused the Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Public Petitions, Mr Uzoma Nkem-Abonta, of assault.

He also said that he was detained for about four hours by policemen attached to the National Assembly.

Bello, who petitioned the National Assembly over alleged extortion and indiscriminate refusal by the United States embassy to grant visas to Nigerians, told our correspondent that since his release on bail, he had been in and out of the hospital.

The 35-year-old claimed that Nkem-Abonta’s grouse with him was that a summons to the US Ambassador to Nigeria over his petition was published by The PUNCH.

The lawmaker allegedly said the publication embarrassed the National Assembly.

However, when our correspondent contacted Nkem-Abonta, he denied the allegations.

Our correspondent had reported that many Nigerian students, who applied for visas at the US embassy, had their applications turned down, thereby losing the fees paid to their prospective schools.

Bello, a Law graduate, had said he was also unjustly denied a visa to the US, where he was to present a paper on climate change at the University of California.

He had petitioned the National Assembly through a member representing the Ede and Ejigbo Federal Constituency of Osun State, Prof. Mojeed Alabi.

He claimed that when he petitioned the Foreign Affairs Ministry and the Consular General of the United States Embassy in Nigeria, he did not get any response.

The researcher had asked the government to investigate the alleged extortion of Nigerians by the embassy through non-refundable visa fees.

Two summonses were reportedly sent to the US embassy by the House committee, as hearing was slated for December 4, 2018.

However, Bello said when the embassy’s representatives did not show up, the hearing was shifted to December 18, 2018, as it was announced that the Minister of Foreign Affairs would also be invited.

Due to the strike action embarked upon by the National Assembly workers, the hearing was stalled.

An affidavit that Bello swore to at the Federal High Court, Abuja, read in part, “Earlier, Mr Omale Adoyi (clerk of the committee) called me that I should bring a copy of The PUNCH that reported the summons by the National Assembly to the American ambassador.

“On January 10, 2019, I went to the National Assembly for a follow-up on the petition, but on getting there, Mr Adoyi asked me to follow him to the office of the Chairman of the Committee on Public Petitions and I followed him.

“Upon arrival at the chairman’s office, the man accused me of reporting about the summons to the US ambassador. I told him that the summons was reported by The PUNCH, The Guardian and ThisDay, and that I only gave them the information needed for their reports and that The PUNCH contacted the clerk before publishing the story.

“The chairman said I was a daft person and that I should have known that the House committee could not summon the US Ambassador to Nigeria. He shouted at me and asked me to leave his office and said the committee would not handle my petition anymore. He said he would deal with me if I reported what transpired in his office that day.

“The chairman then opened the door via a remote control, but as I was making my exit out of his office, he dragged me back and punched me in the face. He said he had all the money to deal with me.”

Bello said when he became dizzy due to the assault, the chairman called security personnel to take him away.

He said his health condition, which was unstable before the assault, had worsened.

The activist claimed that he was detained at the police post attached to the National Assembly, where he made a statement, adding that his phone was seized.

“I was released on the grounds that the chairman, who asked that I should be arrested, did not make a formal complaint to the police or write any statement, and the witness, Mr Omale Adoyi, could not substantiate any allegation against me. I am presently receiving medical treatment at the General Hospital, Maitama,” he added.

Our correspondent was told that the National Assembly had withdrawn the summons to the US ambassador.

Nkem-Abonta, in a telephone chat with our correspondent, denied the allegations, saying he was not aware of the summons to the ambassador.

He also said he was on vacation when Bello barged into his office to demand a written address.

Nkem-Abonta stated, “He walked into my office; I did not invite him; and he said I should give him a written address. I told him that I was on vacation and I asked him to leave my office and invited the sergeant-at-arms to take him away.

“No story can embarrass me. He embarrassed himself. Is it not common knowledge that no assembly anywhere can summon an ambassador? I did not issue any summons. Was my signature forged or what? I don’t know. I constituted a panel to find out who summoned the ambassador. I am so experienced to know my limits. I don’t know him and nobody attacked him.

“The clerk was relieved of his duty because of that matter. He is no longer the clerk; are you not aware? I did not sign any summons and I don’t know who did. I only read in the paper and I asked to find out and I reported to the authorities.

“Does he have the right to barge into my office? Does he have the right to demand a written address on why the petition was not heard? I said no; when he refused to leave my office, I called the sergeant-at-arms to take him away.”

However, a policeman involved in the case said Bello was blameless in the matter, adding that the committee chairman only vented his anger on him.

The cop explained, “He (Bello) went there to get feedback when the honourable chairman picked offence and said he had come to embarrass him in his office. Unknown to him, the clerk was really at fault. He (Nkem-Abonta) picked offence and transferred his aggression to the man.

“He referred Bello and the clerk to us. After listening to the clerk and Bello, we did not see any reason to detain him, so we decided to release him. We asked him to return the following day so we could thrash out the matter.”

He said Bello’s telephone was seized in order to ensure that he returned the following day since he had no one to take him on bail.

The policeman added that the activist had, however, refused to return to the station since he was released.

When our correspondent contacted the clerk, he asked him to come to Abuja.

https://punchng.com/us-visa-reps-panel-chair-punched-me-over-punchs-report-says-activist/

Uzoma Nkem-Abonta

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:37am On Jan 16, 2019
Bello, a Law graduate, had said he was also unjustly denied a visa to the US, where he was to present a paper on climate change at the University of California.
Unjustly denied a visa?!
Is there anything of such to start with!
The chairman then opened the door via a remote control, but as I was making my exit out of his office, he dragged me back and punched me in the face. He said he had all the money to deal with me.”
Bello said when he became dizzy due to the assault, the chairman called security personnel to take him away.
This is barbaric, haba!

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by JohnFrankling(m): 4:48am On Jan 16, 2019
Thugs in our National assembly.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by goodlifehyd(m): 4:57am On Jan 16, 2019
Imagine the kinda animals we call leaders. Someone is trying to solve a problem and the best this animal can do was to assault him. Just wished these animals can be wiped off once

7 Likes

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by DSDLIVEREPORT: 5:01am On Jan 16, 2019
Simple petition they should have treated and could probably have save d the lawmaker's generation in the future

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by DSDLIVEREPORT: 5:05am On Jan 16, 2019
Who will save intending immigrants from Embassy harassment,extortion and intimidation?
Everyone have got a considerable level of self worth and shouldn't be treated like animals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by contigiency(m): 5:08am On Jan 16, 2019
Nawaooo, adults abusing office that they swore to protect. Very sad. meanwhile, people like this are always the first to shout that buhari is a tyrant and all sorts of unprintable names.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by BruncleZuma: 5:09am On Jan 16, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by sonature1: 5:39am On Jan 16, 2019
Foreign embassies decide who they allow into their country and who they don't. There's nothing the National Assembly can do about it.

If you don't like the incessant visa denials by the United States, quit being tribalist and stupid.

Yes, fix your country and stop traveling to the United States.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by Stalwert: 6:25am On Jan 16, 2019
The whole assault thing is just sad and wickedness, he should petition the chief whip such behavior is pathetic and low. When the dishonorable is arrested you will see tadpole brained goons will start claiming democracy is at risk police should have consulted with njc

1 Like

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by wethebest(m): 6:38am On Jan 16, 2019
Leg crossed
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by akintunde63: 6:47am On Jan 16, 2019
JohnFrankling:
Thugs in our National assembly.
na today? Aren't they all thugs and thieves?

1 Like

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by Xkalaban(m): 7:14am On Jan 16, 2019
9ja which way na? When are we gonna wipe out all this vomit we call leaders from A to Z? Na them be 70% of the problem....

1 Like

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by WrathOfHadez(m): 7:50am On Jan 16, 2019
There's no reason to arrest the activist but his phone was sized.

The Chairman didn't make a complaint and the witness didn't collaborate but the activist has to get bail over no offence!

What institution of this country is free from curse and mediocrity?
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by Great2017: 8:24am On Jan 16, 2019
sonature1:

Foreign embassies decide who they allow into their country and who they don't. There's nothing the National Assembly can do about it.

If you don't like the incessant visa denials by the United States, quit being tribalist and stupid.

But the National Assembly can do something about the illegal extortions. Don't you think so?

1 Like

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by armadeo(m): 8:38am On Jan 16, 2019
Xkalaban:
9ja which way na? When are we gonna wipe out all this vomit we call leaders from A to Z? Na them be 70 98% of the problem....

Fixed
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by mechanics(m): 8:40am On Jan 16, 2019
He should take his case to the NHRC office. Those people feel they are above the law, when in actual sense they are there for the masses.
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by armadeo(m): 8:40am On Jan 16, 2019
Great2017:

But the National Assembly can do something about the illegal extortions. Don't you think so?

Why do you call it illegal extortion.

Theres no guarantee that you will be given a Visa. Its clearly stated that the Visa fee is non refundable.

Illegal extortion is when somebody stops you on the road and collects money from you not you walking into the police station to make a payment.

Paying for an exam doesn't guarantee you will pass .

1 Like

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by Great2017: 8:47am On Jan 16, 2019
armadeo:

Why do you call it illegal extortion.

Theres no guarantee that you will be given a Visa. Its clearly stated that the Visa fee is non refundable.

Illegal extortion is when somebody stops you on the road and collects money from you not you walking into the police station to make a payment.

Paying for an exam doesn't guarantee you will pass .
If you don't like illegal extortion, then, the National Assembly should stop the stealing by trick or fraud. Is it not stealing to take something by trick or fraud?
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by armadeo(m): 8:53am On Jan 16, 2019
Great2017:
If you don't like illegal extortion, then, the National Assembly should stop the stealing by trick or fraud. Is it not stealing to take something by trick or fraud?

Please explain how this relates to Visa fees.

As I said paying for an exam isn't a guarantee you will pass. Is the examination body now fraudulent?

The Visa fees is clearly stated as non refundable and without guarantee.
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by Xkalaban(m): 9:02am On Jan 16, 2019
armadeo:

Fixed

Lol, the common ppl are part of it too. Especially the way idiots drive on 9ja roads like animals on wheels or put there goods in the middle of the road and convert it to a market place cos they want to sell goods. Or corruption in our various institutions on individual levels. But then again if the govt was effective such ppl would've faced severe penalties to deter others from doing same. Many things are just wrong with this country. Common sense is for free....

1 Like

Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by Great2017: 9:03am On Jan 16, 2019
armadeo:

Please explain how this relates to Visa fees.

As I said paying for an exam isn't a guarantee you will pass. Is the examination body now fraudulent?

The Visa fees is clearly stated as non refundable and without guarantee.
A fraud is a fraud. Paying for an exam is not a guarantee that one will pass. However, passing an examination and the opposite is declared is a fraud. It is even worse when payment is involved. Try to put things in the right perspective.
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by armadeo(m): 9:48am On Jan 16, 2019
Great2017:

A fraud is a fraud. Paying for an exam is not a guarantee that one will pass. However, passing an examination and the opposite is declared is a fraud. It is even worse when payment is involved. Try to put things in the right perspective.

Honestly I am not following your training thought.

What you are trying to say is a Visa candidate felt he did well and was denied Visa. Well that means he didn't do as well as he thought.

Also the major problem we have with American Visa is the fact that the entire process has been destroyed by Nigerians who thoughtnknly of themselves and not of others. Hence they'll collect your money consider you a flight risk and deny you Visa.

You have the right to attempt the exams
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by Rosarie(f): 11:31am On Jan 16, 2019
This is Nigeria!
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by Great2017: 11:49am On Jan 16, 2019
armadeo:

Honestly I am not following your training thought.

What you are trying to say is a Visa candidate felt he did well and was denied Visa. Well that means he didn't do as well as he thought.

Also the major problem we have with American Visa is the fact that the entire process has been destroyed by Nigerians who thoughtnknly of themselves and not of others. Hence they'll collect your money consider you a flight risk and deny you Visa.

You have the right to attempt the exams

In as much as the demerit of a claim is considered, in all fairness, the merit should be considered as well.

The same right I have to attempt an exam should be extended to the examiner to be fair in his or her judgement. That is what should be expected of a balanced system.

Yes, some Nigerians have abused the system; It doesn't mean a fair case should be ignored.
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by nwanyionitsha: 12:53pm On Jan 16, 2019
sonature1:

I am very happy. They are the ones supporting this evil buhari administration all because of tribalism but want to go to the US in the guise of presenting paper.
Dem know say America no dey give visa like that.
I will see how he will force US to give him visa. Canada and the rest will follow suite.
Re: US Visa: Reps Panel Chair Nkem-abonta Attacked Me Over Punch’s Report - Activist by nwanyionitsha: 12:59pm On Jan 16, 2019
Stalwert:
The whole assault thing is just sad and wickedness, he should petition the chief whip such behavior is pathetic and low. When the dishonorable is arrested you will see tadpole brained goons will start claiming democracy is at risk police should have consulted with njc
It is his word against that of the hournorable. Nothing will happen.
He must stay here and enjoy the government he helped enthrone.
After 2019you will see America's true colour.
You select leaders based on tribe, religion and godfatherism, then you want to pile into their country on the guise of presenting paper, you go soon learn.
You dont know the world is watching. I laugh. The real visa denial will come after 2019.

(1) (2) (Reply)

“buhari Must Go”: Protesters Seen Chanting At Kantin Kwari Market In Kano / 2023 Polls: Vote Competence, Not Tribe, Religion Or Party / Peter Obi Response To El-rufai's Tweet That He Won't Get Upto 200 Persons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.