Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Gun For Protection - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gun For Protection (2093 Views)

14-yr-old Boy Kills Brother With Dad’s Gun While ‘acting’ Movie / Is It Expedient To Buy Toy A GUN For Kids / Will You Buy A Toy Gun For Your Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gun For Protection by Yink99(m): 3:27pm On Aug 13, 2010
In Nigeria we all know the lack of security. I'm in America right now and would like to purchase a gun and bring into Nigeria. I'm a preacher that does alot of traveling in Nigeria. Please do you know how I can be able to bring it in the country LEGALLY? Thank you.

Yink99
Re: Gun For Protection by jenny9: 4:10pm On Aug 13, 2010
You are a disgrace to God's kingdom, what on earth makes you think that your Gun can protect you in Nigeria. what happens to psalm 23 ( the lord is my shepherd).

you really need to repent because i doubt if you are a preacher.
Re: Gun For Protection by invisible2(m): 8:45pm On Aug 13, 2010
I would have loved to advice you but the preacher bit has changed everything, how many guns did our lord Jesus have? Its people like you who amass wealth through the name of God and now turn round to hire thugs and carry around guns in bullet proof jeeps. Can't the lord protect you?
Re: Gun For Protection by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 13, 2010
Yink99:

In Nigeria we all know the lack of security. I'm in America right now and would like to purchase a gun and bring into Nigeria. I'm a preacher that does alot of traveling in Nigeria. Please do you know how I can be able to bring it in the country LEGALLY? Thank you.

Yink99

Please tell me you're kidding.

A Nigerian civillian carrying a firearm for "protection"?
Re: Gun For Protection by Romeo4real(m): 10:23pm On Aug 13, 2010
Nothing wrong with a civilian carrying a firearm for protection in Nigeria - a long as its registered and legal (there are procedures to achieve this). However, i find it hard to reconcile you profession with the need to carry a firearm, as i assume the purpose of your travels in Nigeria would involve the preaching of God's word, right? Bible in one hand, Gun in the other?

Saying that, I myself have a firearm in Nigeria. Its a PGS-12 Pump Action Shotgun loading 4 shells. I never carry it outside, except when we go and stay overnight at one of the private beaches.
Re: Gun For Protection by tekajibril(m): 11:14pm On Aug 13, 2010
Yink99:

Yink99

I dont know what to say to you!! Shows u have 0% faith in God. I hope ur plane crashes.
Re: Gun For Protection by tpiah: 11:16pm On Aug 13, 2010
might be one of those armed robbers who spill a bible verse or two during robbery attacks.
Re: Gun For Protection by Yink99(m): 10:28am On Aug 14, 2010
Some of you are so heartless and imature. My family and I are missionaries to Nigeria and would just like to protect my family while on the road. That is all! I'm amazed how many "christians" don't know their bibles. I think you should do more studing on the matter before embarassing yourself with no knowledge of the scripture. The Bible says"ye do err not knowing the scriptures" If you don't know that verse, Jesus was speaking to the pharisee in his day. Most Nigerians as I have observed are too timid when it comes to protecting family members. Don't accept what people do.Dare to be different. Why not stand in front of a moving car? you have to take precaution and stand on the side of the road. Or else you will get killed by the moving car. You have to take precaution just in case something happens. We all don't wish things like that should happen, but has given me a responsibility to protect my family. Yes you pray for protection but you have to do all you can, and leave the rest for God. God has given us responsibility to protect our loved ones and friends. Some need to go to a Bible believing and Bible studying Independent Baptist Church in your area to get grounded in something that is more substantial than emotion with no Bible knowledge to help in time of honest Bible discussion or debate.

In case you are interested in knowing from a Biblical standpoint on this subject rather than wishing my plane would crash:

Did Jesus Approve of Owning Weapons?
Let us start by understanding that the equivalent of a modern day firearm to biblical times would no doubt be a sword. When we look at Luke 22:36 we see Jesus speaking: "But now, he that hath a purse,let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." There is no denying that Jesus had nothing against the ownership of a weapon. In fact, he thought it necessary and commanded anyone who did not have one to find a way to get one even if it meant selling his own clothing. Jesus knew the evil that was in this world, and wanted his followers to be protected.(Including his PREACHERS!) A Preacher can and should own a gun, and yes Bible in one hand and gun in the other.
Did Jesus Approve of the use Weapons?
When we read in John 18:10-12 right when Jesus is about to be arrested: Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
11 Then said Jesus untoPeter, "Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which My Father hath given Me, shall I not drink it?" Many will read this passage and use it to argue that Jesus was against the use of force in defending oneself or another, because Jesus told peter to put his sword away. However, they fail to read the very next sentence and understand that if Peter were to prevent the arresting of Jesus, God's plan for the savior of the world would not be completed and humanity would be doomed forever. Jesus is not telling peter to put his sword up because he against the use of force, he is against the prevention of God's plan.
It must also be noted that Jesus told peter to put his sword away. Notice He did not tell Peter to throw his sword away. He did not tell Peter to go and sell his sword. He did not tell Peter to melt it down. He told him to put his sword away, and he allows Peter to keep the sword for a future time. Jesus knew the evil that was in the world, and Jesus was not against the ownership of weapons or against self defense or the defense of others.
Does the Bible Approve of Self Defense?
In Matthew 5:39 we read: "But I say unto you,that ye resist not evil: But whoso shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." This is the most widely used verse to argue against the use of force for self defense and the defense of others. If you were to take this verse to the extreme however, and apply it to all manner of evil and aggression, you will quickly see that this verse is not commanding you to simply allow your life to be taken from you.
Jesus is speaking of a slap on the cheek. Imagine someone were to slap you on your right cheek. Does this threaten your life? Does this bring great injury to your body? Of course not. You would quickly conclude that this person is testing your pride. There is a reason Jesus speaks of a slap on the cheek and not something far more dangerous. If someone slaps you on your cheek are you going to lose your temper and go off on them? Jesus tells you not to, but instead to turn the other cheek. Try to imagine the irritation of the person who slapped you.
If this verse were to be taken to the extreme, however, it would mean that if a man breaks into your house and kills one of your children, you must turn and hand them your other child. If you believe this is what the Bible teaches then you are sadly lost and mislead. Only pure evil would promote such a thing.
Lastly, the Bible says in 1st Timothy 5:8 that anyone who does not provide for their family has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. If we believe in God we are to protect the family and friends he has given to us, as well as our own lives from all manor of evil in this world. Only evil would want good people to be helpless at the hands of evil.
Re: Gun For Protection by invisible2(m): 12:12pm On Aug 14, 2010
The response of our man of God goes on to prove to me what I have always suspected, that people of the pulpit twist and turn the same bible which we know and respect to suit their personal interests. Is it too difficult to understand that the lord we worship is more powerful than even nuclear weapons. By virture of your faith in God, I expect your family to be covered by the blood of Jesus either here or abroad. Anytime I start to fear that God is no longer protecting me, then my ways have become sinful. Everyone wants to go to heaven, yet nobody wants to die or face danger. If it be the wish of God for you and your family to face danger, then he has so arranged it to give glory to his name, its either the gun aimed at you won't fire or you will earn promotion to heaven.

Please tell the lord to forgive your lack of faith.
Re: Gun For Protection by Okijajuju1(m): 12:13pm On Aug 14, 2010
undecided
Re: Gun For Protection by Yink99(m): 4:36pm On Aug 14, 2010
Those of you who don't believe in self defense, SHOW ME FROM THE BIBLE WHERE GOD IS AGAINST SELF DEFENSE! If you think I have twisted the scripture to prove my point, well then explain those verses to me then.
Please I don't want my original post to be lost. I need to know how to take a gun that i've bought to Nigeria. Nairaland community have been great in the past when I needed info. So please anyone.

Thanks
Re: Gun For Protection by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 14, 2010
Re: Gun For Protection by invisible2(m): 5:22pm On Aug 14, 2010
I don't believe in self defence, I believe in JESUS. The maker of the whole universe and all the weapons inside. I don't fear man or spirit because my lord rules over them all. I don't need to show you the quotations where God assured his people of his protection since you claim to have gone through a bible school.

The lord shall fight my battles, and I shall hold my peace.
A thousand shall fall on your left, And nothing shall by any means harm you.
Ye shall trample upon serpents and scorpions!

I have lived in Nigeria all my life in comparable luxury and don't fear robbers. I have never been attacked by anyone. I don't even own a gun in my house. Jesus has been my weapons.

Read your bible again.
Re: Gun For Protection by mutter(f): 5:27pm On Aug 14, 2010
Please how can one wish a plane to crash to get rid of one man. SO many innocent lives involved
Re: Gun For Protection by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 14, 2010
Re: Gun For Protection by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 14, 2010
There is nothing wrong with arming yourself for protection
Re: Gun For Protection by tekajibril(m): 9:03pm On Aug 14, 2010
canadacarz:

There is nothing wrong with arming yourself for protection

Yeah, i know but a PASTOR!!! AHH!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, Then sum Rev's go dey carry Bazooka!!
Re: Gun For Protection by Yink99(m): 9:49pm On Aug 14, 2010
Did you know that the founding fathers in America's history 3/4 of them were Baptists preachers and signed in the country's constitution the right of a citizen to bare arms. Look at the security situation in America. A robber will think twice before he harms an innocent person. And we think of America as a christian nation. If we should excuse everything that happens that's bad without any human responsibility, then why pray? Why try to get the government to improve our electricity problem, water problem, transportation. Is it then God's will for Nigerian to live in poverty? And in white America and the white world live with 24hr electricity? So we should accept any problem that comes as the will of God. So because the nation of Israel is God' chosen people they should not have weapons as a nation to defend themselves from surrounding Arab nations. Imagine if they had our Nigerian mentality, Israel would not be a nation today. I know you cannot take out Gos in any situation. But we have to do all we can, then God steps in to do what we cannot control like the potholes, expressway accidents, etc. We should pray before we leave the house, keep our cars maintained, obey the laws on the road, fix problems on our cars, etc, So then when we go out, we leave everything in his hands. Claiming the blood of Jesus and then drivng drunk and on the opposite side of the road will not guarantee God being with you after claiming the blood. Comonsence people. God has given us at least a brain.
Re: Gun For Protection by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 15, 2010
Re: Gun For Protection by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2010
The way I see it, is this:

Guns are not a good idea, in the hands of civilians, especially in Nigeria. As has been said, there are more deaths in Nigeria related to bad roads, (accidents) illnesses, house fires etc. In fact, most are not related to the menace of armed robbers. Yet, here's someone (a preacher?) that is looking to carry a firearm "for protection". I lived in Nigeria for 13 years, and never had to protect myself with a gun! So have countless others. I could go live in Nigeria, safe in the knowledge I wasn't surrounded by armed robbers, or gun-toting civilian neighbours.

If the law permitted civilians to carry live firearms for protection, try to imagine the chaos Nigeria would descend into. As if things aren't chaotic enough as they are. Suddenly, everyone who looks at you the wrong way, will be an armed robber - at least, that's what you'll tell the police, when you decide to shoot your neighbour dead, who may also have a loaded pistol in his hip pocket.

Guns are not the answer, common sense is. If you truly feel you need a gun to survive in Nigeria, then please, stay in the United States with your family. You make it sound like Nigeria is a nation of armed robbers, all roaming free, with the intention of killing all they come across, especially "preachers".

A point to ponder: Gun-related deaths are common in the United States too, with more relaxed firearm licencing. It hasn't helped one bit. The majority of deaths in Nigeria are more attributed to poverty and illness, with wide-spread automobile accidents. Just so you know.
Re: Gun For Protection by invisible2(m): 5:51pm On Aug 15, 2010
The poster has been trying to justify his need for a gun on humans need to do some additional work in other to help God protect them and I still think he is wrong. In his last writeup, he was asking why we ask the govt. To do our roads and provide light and not ask God for such mercies. Until he can prove to us that its God that awards the road and light contracts in the states and not the govt.

Don't bring a gun into the country if you are coming for peace. I have to tell you all a story. There is this good friend of mine that was annoyed that robbers robbed them and decided to buy a sharp cutlass to protect his family. The robbers heard about it and attacked again. They caught my friend and lay him down and demanded for his new cutlass, he denied buying any and they have to beat him before the wife begged them to spare his life. She produced the cutlass for them to stop the beating. They now used the flat side of the cutlass to beat his back repeatedly, more than a hundred slaps with the metal knife side, very painful. The guy spent days recovering from the hospital. They even spent hours, ate his foods and drank his beer from the fridge, (the wife sells beers) when the beers finished around 5am, they left without attacking anyone else in the whole compound.

Don't ask for trouble, stay off guns. No weapon fashioned against me shall prosper.
Re: Gun For Protection by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 15, 2010
I'm with Invisible on this.
Re: Gun For Protection by Romeo4real(m): 12:28am On Aug 16, 2010
@Yinka99 -

You CAN carry a firearm in Nigeria, if you so desire (many have told you here of the folly of doing so, and the inconsistencies with your chosen profession) - but quoting the Bible in an attempt to justify it is patently disingenuous.

None of the Bible verses you quote actually support any of your claims. I mean, as a supposed preacher, who is "Christ" like, an example to all, a paragon of virtue, an example of excellence, spreading the word of God, you come up with "dare to be different" as one of the reasons to carry a firearm? Let us examine what you say; you who KNOW the Bible.

How does John 18:10-12 show that Jesus approved of the carrying of weapons? Yes, Simon Peter carried a weapon, as did most men who wanted to do so at that period of time.  This had nothing to do with Jesus approval or disapproval - Carrying a weapon allowed by the Romans in this period of time. More so, Simon Peter was not carrying the weapon to defend himself as he went about preaching God's word.
In fact, read Luke 22:35-38 in context (widely misunderstood), where a part of a larger conversation about power at the last supper Jesus helps his disciples remember that they don’t need anything, much less swords. He  explicitly equates the carrying of a sword with being a “transgressor.”

Moreover, in Matt 26:52, Mathews account of the same scripture you quote, says -  "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword" - Hardly advocating the use of weapons, is it?
Also, in John 18:36 Jesus told Pilate, "My kingdom is not of this world: if My kingdom were of this world, then would My servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews" - Again, quite an unequivocal statement against the use of violence in achieving the aim of the kingdom of God.

Your use of Matt 5:39 is even more disingenuous. Here, Jesus is not saying that you should allow people to harm you, rather, it is a lesson about about revenge and retribution, because Vengeance is for the Lord. As a "preacher" or "missionary", you should know this. And your use of 1Timothy 5:8 is simply illogical in this context.
To make matters worse, you casually throw in a lazy over simplistic argument regarding Israel and the Mid East into the mix, whilst at the same time, using a country with the worst record of intra-population violence in the Western world to buttress your point.

Quite clearly, your understanding of the Bible is a bit tenuous. The point is, you are SUPPOSED to be a "man" of God, preaching and spreading the Word. Carrying a firearm, with the express intention to use it in a potential circumstance, does not square with the tenets the religion you claim to follow - irrespective of what you may think.

As i said, whilst i have a firearm in Nigeria, i would hardly use the Bible or the Christian faith to justify my ownership of it. Methinks you should stay in the US with your guns laws and NRA lobby. Surely, you will be a lot more useful over there. They need God a lot over there than in Nigeria.
Re: Gun For Protection by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 16, 2010
Re: Gun For Protection by softgirl1: 4:12pm On Aug 16, 2010
lolllllll ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Gun For Protection by invisible2(m): 5:28pm On Aug 16, 2010
Having said all we said, I want to add a disturbing point to it all. The reason our preacher friend is now looking for protection is not because he loves his family too much but because he has gotten too rich to pass unnoticed. Our men of God now focus all their attention on amassing wealth as against going to heaven. Where do we keep all these loot when we go back to heaven? The quest for getting money at all cost have drove many fast talking, educated men and women to open churches and insist on tithes and donations to build mega cities for God (or is it for themselves, I have never seen any church land document that has our lord Jesus as the donee) the pastors, priests open universities, businesses and acquire land like its going out of business.

In the midst of all these, sin spreads the more. The rate of sin in our nation is a source of worry to many. Is the mission of these preachers being achieved? Yes and no. Yes because they are making so much money, no because the people are still mired in sin and poverty, diseases and hopelessnes. The preachers continue to grow while the people suffer.
Re: Gun For Protection by Yink99(m): 10:40pm On Aug 19, 2010
I've really appreciated the discussion on this subject. I can see that our country has always and will always be a very Liberal state. I'm a conservative christian and preacher and we differ on the view of owning a gun as a preacher. I've lived in America for 26 years before coming to Nigeria as a missionary. They way I feel and read in our KJV Bible in support of self defense will not change my mind. And further, I will not think you all of less spritual maturity because of your different views. Because of my stance, make me no more spiritual than the next christian. The Bible says "let everyone be persuaded in his own mind". You have a God given right to have your stand. But DON'T JUDGE MY SPIRITUALITY ON THE BASIS OF CARRYING A GUN! I have peace to carry one. If your community is being attacked by arm robbers, if you have that great faith in God, then why run? You have one standard for a preacher, and one standard for the average man. So it's best not to be born again so you can justify carrying a gun. In my Bible, God says there is not respecter of persons with him. A preacher friend of mine was on his way to church 2 weeks ago and was shot in his car going to church. His wife and kids in the car had to drive their father and husband to the hospital. He is in critical condition today. No they were not driving a hummer or own a plane or driving a Benz as some may stereotype preachers. Now, I don't have a Benz, or rich for that matter. I'm not against preachers having money. the only problem I have of alot of these pentecostal preachers, is their preying on the poor. Planting "seed" and the end result is making that preacher rich. Almost all the preachers I hear about are like that. I preach against it. And also the preachers that use satan's powers to build their churches. Because a church runs thousands does not equate God's power. I'm protecting my family and what little belongs to me. No one has the right to take what belongs to you just because you are a man of God. Some out there don't care or respect the true man of the God. We don't accumulate wealth. I know where my faith is on, in Christ. I know of a missionary who was invaded by 5 men and held the whole family at gun point. They spoke of killing the children first. The dad/missionary fought for the family and today the whole family is alive. May be some of you need to surrender your life full time and depend on God totally and travel and see and hear the horrow stories I see and hear that is moving some preachers to carry weapons now, It will give you a whole different outlook about the country we live. Many of these rifraffs are bent to kill and rob. I know that God will protect. But are you telling me that these missionaries I have stated are weak in faith? Did not trust God enough? Even if they don't die are disabled from the gun shot. Are you telling me you can walk up to them and tell them it was God's will for them to be shot? A better and biblical response should be that God allowed it to happen for some reason not known to us now. You are eliminating man's responsibility. Don't be like some crooked preachers that say plant a "seed" and God will bless you and disregard our responsibility to live a holy life. You cannot command God to do anything. "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me" Psalm 66:18. If that thingthat that preacher says will happen doesn't happen, he will claim you didn't have enough faith to believe. What a vicious cycle to live as a christian.
Enough said. I am not a fake preacher. You can count on that. And i'm a self defensed all out PREACHER. EXCUSE ME BY THE WAY I'M ON MY WAY WITH OTHER PREACHERS TO THE SHOOTING RANGE TO SHOOT VERIETY OF GUNS AND PRACTICE MY NEW GUN. HALLELUJAH AND PRAISE THE LORD FOR THE FREEDOM WE HAVE IN CHRIST. EVERYONE OF US HAVE THE FREEDOM TO BE INDIVIDUALS AND DIFFERENT IN CHRIST. If God lays it on your heart to be different, by all means be what God wants you to be.I will not condemn you for that.
Re: Gun For Protection by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 20, 2010
Re: Gun For Protection by Bestglo(f): 11:06am On Aug 20, 2010
lolzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Gun For Protection by invisible2(m): 11:41am On Aug 20, 2010
Na wao, I will love to listen to your preachings, I guess its radically different from what I used to understand about every point in the bible. Peace.
Re: Gun For Protection by Romeo4real(m): 1:34pm On Aug 20, 2010
@Yink99 -

Are you telling me you can walk up to them and tell them it was God's will for them to be shot? A better and biblical response should be that God allowed it to happen for some reason not known to us now. You are eliminating man's responsibility.
So, dear "preacher", can you please elucidate for us why Simon Peter, James, Andrew, Mathew, Bartholomew, Phillip, Thomas, and Thaddeus dies the way they did? Did they not take responsibility for themselves and their safety? Did Simon Peter's sword save him when he was crucified? Upside down?!
Can you expatiate on why John the Baptist died the way he did? Did he "allow" himself to be beheaded? Or he wasn't smart enough? Or, he should have "taken responsibility" for himself and carried a weapon?

I know where my faith is on, in Christ
Ok, your faith is in/on Christ, but, wait for it, you are also responsible for your safety - by carrying a gun, no less? How silly!

Yink99, you CAN carry a gun, as you would not be only the civilian in Nigeria doing so. What irks people is your attempt to justify it using the Bible. Can you get that?

Best of luck.
Re: Gun For Protection by invisible2(m): 1:20pm On Aug 22, 2010
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil because thou art with me. It is in the bible, I don't know how our preacher friend didn't see that quote.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is This Appropriate Please Need Some Advice / FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? / Man Sues Wife For Giving Birth To Ugly Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.